• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Laie

Jul 20, 2018
Oh man, the hidden endgame dungeon is really something else, cool mechanics, music, lore and such

One of the hidden story exposures there took me by surprise, imo along with some other postgame sidequests they tied up the underlying connections between the eight quite neatly.
I was quite ok with the disjointed structure of these eight stories, but now after that final dungeon i kinda wish these interactions are more showed in the actual presentation of the game somehow.

All in all would totally recommend going for this last hidden bit of the game, it's well worth it

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone has a take on this?
They both can only use staves as physical, so I wouldn't recommend joining both classes.

There's also the fact that elemental attack factors in elemental damage and elemental defense factors in healing which are at odds with each other. High end gear usually favors either high physical defense or high elemental defense. Not both. When you equip high elemental defense gear to heal more HP, your mage will be squishy against physical attacks.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gotten through half of the Ch 2 quests so far. So far I've enjoyed each of the stories, and I can't wait to see more. Going to have to try and find more Job Shrines and figure out the best combos for my team.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Olberic's chapter 2 boss, holy shit, that took some time.

...and almost all my (M) soulstones. -_-

I know what to expect for future bosses, at least. :lol

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I've had that feeling as well. I think critical is like a 1.5x boost, while single boost is 2x, double boost is 3x, and max boost is 4x.
Maybe someone figures out the exact numbers I'm too lazy to do it :-x
If there is then I feel the game would have said it.
I don't get that the game doesn't tell you a lot of stuff like how that one divine skill buff that says all skills that will affect a single foe will affect all of them also applies to your own(so basically any target). On the dmg I mostly inferred through me I think seeing a difference in numbers on break with and without buff but it's not like I sat down and really tested it. Could be a difference because of enemy specific mitigation or something but my gut says the deviations don't seem like that.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm still very early in the game (recruited 4 so far) and I'm usually not overtly opinionated in OT's but I wanted to share a couple conflicting thoughts. I say conflicting because any argument I make against design can be countered with the developers intent to "recapture" the retro JRPG feeling.

Firstly, I want to commend the battle system. It's fairly deep and strategic and I'm sure more options will open up to speed up the pace just like in Bravely Default.

However, my main gripe is with the level design. The game is gorgeous to look at but the areas you explore are so bite sized and linear, I don't feel any sense of discovery, it's as though I'm going through the same layouts but with different facelifts. You can say classics like FFIV were basic like this, but I was expecting the nostalgia to come from the graphics and atmosphere, and the modernization to shine in the rest of the game. Does the game get more intricate in this regard, or is the focus on the battle system mainly?

Apologize in advance that I'm saying this while only a few hours in but I heard it on occasion in reviews and didn't think much of it since I've always enjoyed JRPG's through the years and know they aren't for everyone.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue in favor of Octopath Traveler that I'm perfectly fine with the dungeons the way they are. Never really cared for puzzles in dungeons and I don't want to just walk down even more long corridors so I see what they went for and I like it. I don't think the dungeons are plain either, some of them are really nice to look at. However they are still pretty grounded overall and there's no magic towers or crazy apocalyptic locales that I've seen, but that's also largely because the stories are far less fantastical then what you usually find.

Nov 21, 2017
Accidentally overleveled, and my chapter twos were a breeze. Imma roll right into my chapter threes hoping for a bit more challenge.

I've been running from battles in the open world to avoid getting experience lol

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I don't know what I thought Redeye would be, but it sure wasn't that. Fun chapter, though.

I'm breezing through the last few chapters by just taking my level 60 somethings and blasting through whatever. I'm planning on doing one big grind to get the party members that are behind up to par before I even think about touching the end/postgame stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue in favor of Octopath Traveler that I'm perfectly fine with the dungeons the way they are. Never really cared for puzzles in dungeons and I don't want to just walk down even more long corridors so I see what they went for and I like it. I don't think the dungeons are plain either, some of them are really nice to look at. However they are still pretty grounded overall and there's no magic towers or crazy apocalyptic locales that I've seen, but that's also largely because the stories are far less fantastical then what you usually find.

I agree with this. I like the little spatial puzzles and hidden paths. It is a clever take on the FF4/5/6-style dungeons, without a bunch of tedious puzzles.

There's absolutely more room for more varied settings and setpieces, but I rather enjoyed the type of dungeons for what they were. Just more varieties in the scenarios that surround the "dungeons" would be appreciated in a sequel.

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Do you think this game intentionally has tones of Game of Thrones? A character was just referred to as kingslayer and I see a lot of similarities, especially in location names.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I dunno if this has been psoted yet, but the uhhhhh cleric passive skill that lets you be healed beyond your current health threshold?

I used a large Olive of Life on Ophilia to res her and she res'd with full fucking health all right. 9999 full health. I didn't expect that lmao.

May 5, 2018
Got to say, I came into Tressa's chapter 2 boss sort of overconfident because her recommended level was 22, but she's at 26 with H'iaant at 28 and both Alfyn and Cyrus are at 25. After beating H'iaant's level 27 boss a level under, thought this boss was gonna be easy. Nope. Both him and his henchmen kept vacuum slicing or level slashing my team to death. I probably need to do Tressa's hired help for swordsman to break some shields and get defensive buffs as well as use Alfyn as a Thief to nerf the hitting power of the boss.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good order to tackle the Advanced Job class shrines?

Either the Sorcerer or Starseer. Starseer is easier to cheese.

Have Dancer/Apothecary/Hunter/Cleric

-Use Hunter's Leghold so the boss always play last
-Create the potion that gives everyone 2 BP
-Use Dancer's ultimate on Cleric
-Cleric use boosted reflecting veil on everyone
-Congrats you are immune to the boss attacks and will reflect it in her face.
-Break the boss as usual and win
-As long as you keep stacking the reflect you will be fine. She sometimes dispel it on one character but you can put it back up.

For the sorcerer you have to wait until his debuff expire to use the cheesing strategy. The main advantage is that he seems to use the element he's weak against so he will autobreak himself because of the reflect.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen people saying,
Rune-what's-it is a fairly easy first mark, while Warmaster is the most difficult.

If you want the easiest time, do Sorcerer and Starseer by reflecting their attacks back into them, blow up Runeblade with your Sorcerer and then use Runeblade + Sidestep to cheese Warmaster.

Either the Sorcerer or Starseer. Starseer is easier to cheese.

Have Dancer/Apothecary/Hunter/Cleric

-Use Hunter's Leghold so the boss always play last
-Create the potion that gives everyone 2 BP
-Use Dancer's ultimate on Cleric
-Cleric use boosted reflecting veil on everyone
-Congrats you are immune to the boss attacks and will reflect it in her face.
-Break the boss as usual and win
-As long as you keep stacking the reflect you will be fine. She sometimes dispel it on one character but you can put it back up.

For the sorcerer you have to wait until his debuff expire to use the cheesing strategy. The main advantage is that he seems to use the element he's weak against so he will autobreak himself because of the reflect.

Thanks for the tips! My main party is hitting Level 50 so it's gonna be time to tackle these soon.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I apologize if this was asked but do battles scale with levels or with the number of recruits? I did Tress'a starting quest at lvl 9 (she was obviously lower level) after starting as Olberic and the boss battle of Chapter 1 would have been insanely difficult solo.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I just got to Olberic and his voice immediately hit me. I'll never be able to think of anyone else now.
tumblr_static_bh06lba77mgc8s4cg044ww40o_640_v2.gif

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I apologize if this was asked but do battles scale with levels or with the number of recruits? I did Tress'a starting quest at lvl 9 (she was obviously lower level) after starting as Olberic and the boss battle of Chapter 1 would have been insanely difficult solo.

I think chapter 1 quests scale a bit based off how many characters you've recruited so far. After that I don't think anything scales.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
All 8 characters' stories done (42 hours, avg lv about 43). H'aanit's was probably the only one I wasn't really a fan of.

Time to do cleanup before heading to the postgame dungeon

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
What level should I be to complete the advanced sub-job shrines?
Depends on your gear and available skills. I tried it at lvl. 45 with average gear but got stomped. So went and got better gear at lvl. 50 and they're still challenging, especially the first time when you don't know their weaknesses. Of course if you can already deal 12k+ damage then they won't be too hard.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I really, really like some of the sidequests in this game. Even some of the more basic, fetchquest type stuff isn't bad because it's used to give more depth to NPCs, and even supporting characters throughout the game. Really makes it feel like one big world.

I especially like the one involving the widow from H'aanit's story, and Arianna and the coachman from Primrose's Chapter 2. Really nice feel-good resolution there.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried my first Chapter 2 quest yesterday (Therion) and got destroyed by the boss. Just been exploring and grinding since.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I got this a couple of days ago, and I've beaten all of the chapter 1s and unlocked all of the subclasses, but I feel a little spoiled for choice right now.

Are there any recommended job-combos I should keep in mind? I figure something like Warrior/Scholar is pretty shitty, but I'm unsure what to do with a couple of characters, namely Alfyn and H'aanit. I've got Alfyn as a Warrior sub right now because he's got a ton of HP and Amputate appreciates the extra damage, but I don't actually know if that's the best option.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm on 12ish hours in. Just picking up my last recruit (Tressa) but my god is this game just so fucking pleasant and enjoyable.

Love the combat. Love the aesthetic. Love the characters (even if some are a little simple and cliche). Hoping this feeling sticks, but I'm actually really enjoying that there isn't some big bad that everyone has to unite and take down and that each story is its own self contained little thing.

And, man, that Primrose ch 1. Woof. Did not expect that one to be as grown up as it was.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Do optional bosses respawn after a while?

Say, i would want to capture the carrion caves boss, but fail to do so, i checked after beating him, there's no respawn immediatly, but does it ever respawn after a while?

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got this a couple of days ago, and I've beaten all of the chapter 1s and unlocked all of the subclasses, but I feel a little spoiled for choice right now.

Are there any recommended job-combos I should keep in mind? I figure something like Warrior/Scholar is pretty shitty, but I'm unsure what to do with a couple of characters, namely Alfyn and H'aanit. I've got Alfyn as a Warrior sub right now because he's got a ton of HP and Amputate appreciates the extra damage, but I don't actually know if that's the best option.

Thus far, I've found the following combos pretty good:
Hunter/Warrior (H'aanit) - Want to fuck shit up w/ weapons? This is your go to.
Dancer/Cleric or Dancer/Scholar (Primrose) - Alternate between buffing and spell-damage/healing, with pretty much infinite mana to boot.
Warrior/Apothecary (Olberic) - Damage/Tank/Heal. Amputate and Last Stand fuuuuuck shit up w/ Warrior tacked on.
Thief/Merchant (Therion) - Double those Steal/Collect rewards at the same time, and get some free damage hits in on half your attempts.
Cleric/Scholar (Ophilia) - If you want to put all your spell-casting in one basket and maximize the amount of healing and spell-damage 1 character can do, sure!

I have no real idea what to do with Tressa, Cyrus, or Alfyn. Nothing quite seems to gel perfectly. Alfyn does Apothecary/Cleric alright if you want to put all your healing in one basket.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Do you think this game intentionally has tones of Game of Thrones? A character was just referred to as kingslayer and I see a lot of similarities, especially in location names.

Kingslayer isn't something game of thrones invented. Many medival games/movies/ and even actual people were called Kingslayer

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Thus far, I've found the following combos pretty good:
Hunter/Warrior (H'aanit) - Want to fuck shit up w/ weapons? This is your go to.
Dancer/Cleric or Dancer/Scholar (Primrose) - Alternate between buffing and spell-damage/healing, with pretty much infinite mana to boot.
Warrior/Apothecary (Olberic) - Damage/Tank/Heal. Amputate and Last Stand fuuuuuck shit up w/ Warrior tacked on.
Thief/Merchant (Therion) - Double those Steal/Collect rewards at the same time, and get some free damage hits in on half your attempts.
Cleric/Scholar (Ophilia) - If you want to put all your spell-casting in one basket and maximize the amount of healing and spell-damage 1 character can do, sure!

I have no real idea what to do with Tressa, Cyrus, or Alfyn. Nothing quite seems to gel perfectly. Alfyn does Apothecary/Cleric alright if you want to put all your healing in one basket.
I rocking Tressa as a Thief and she works alright. About the same as Therion as a Merchant I'd imagine, except she gets free money on the overworld. Probably better as a support class than an offensive one though, and it works because of shit like Share BP and debuffs.

Laie

Jul 20, 2018
I played through the game in Japanese, and watched a few English playthroughs here and there, the GoT stuff is mostly just flavors added by the localization team, said character was never referred to as Kingslayer in the Japanese version

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Good on you dude. Take your wins where you can get them.

I hope everything continues to improve for you, that was pretty alarming at the beginning. Fingers crossed the game lets you forget your troubles for a little while.

It could have been much worse. You're all alright, at least. Also, you got that preorder bonus (care to post some pics?). And most importantly, you have a potential GOTY to play now.

Thanks all. Going to dig in to the game today - we have to wait until tomorrow to find out whether or not the chemicals have cleared, so we're still stuck in our hotel. Better safe and cool than stuck in a hot, potentially dangerous apartment (or stuck in our car because we don't have a place to go). Drives me nuts the landlords can do this shit and get away with it. They didn't even bother to post notice that dangerous chemicals would be on the premises.

Anyway, I managed to snap a few pics of the Gamestop pre-order bonus stickers and cards. The stickers are fun, but the cards are the real draw. They're printed on a thick glossy stock and have some kind of holographic effect... not quite sure that's the right word, but tilting them causes different colors to stand out and they have a slightly metallic sheen. Pretty slick little bonus for anyone interested in collectibles.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've done 4 of the chapter 1s now (Cyrus, Ophelia, H'annit, and Therion) and I think this may be my main party for a while. I'm really enjoying the combat and feel like I can tackle more scenarios with H'annit's multi weapon versatility and my mage's elemental range. The main thing I'm thinking now is that I may replace Therion with Alfyn or Tressa, or H'annit with Olberic.

H'annit's first boss was tough until I started using her hit 5 times in one turn move. Tough, but it felt good to body that monster.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all. Going to dig in to the game today - we have to wait until tomorrow to find out whether or not the chemicals have cleared, so we're still stuck in our hotel. Better safe and cool than stuck in a hot, potentially dangerous apartment (or stuck in our car because we don't have a place to go). Drives me nuts the landlords can do this shit and get away with it. They didn't even bother to post notice that dangerous chemicals would be on the premises.

Anyway, I managed to snap a few pics of the Gamestop pre-order bonus stickers and cards. The stickers are fun, but the cards are the real draw. They're printed on a thick glossy stock and have some kind of holographic effect... not quite sure that's the right word, but tilting them causes different colors to stand out and they have a slightly metallic sheen. Pretty slick little bonus for anyone interested in collectibles.

Ugh, I wish the Wayfarer's had stuff half as appealing to me as these. Didn't know there was such a significant preorder bonus from GameStop.

Wonder if I could snag these online...