Status
Not open for further replies.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
User Warned: Antagonizing & Intentionally Misrepresenting Fellow Member
I'm an ex Marine. I've seen enough violence for 3 life times. The last thing I want is to hurt anyone. If I can escape a situation without violence, you are damn right I am going to.
Signed up to hurt people but the last thing I want is to hurt people

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I honestly haven't, at least not since I was like 8 years old. I have control over my temper and emotions. Have you done this as an adult? Is this something you still do? When was the last time you physically attacked somone because you couldn't control your emotions?
What makes you think Will Smith can't control his temper and emotions just because he decided to slap someone as opposed to not? That is getting into some racist stereotype territory, yeah he was obviously pissed but it doesn't mean he's lost control

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean probably like 16 or 17. To act like he's unhinged for losing composure when someone insults your wife is a bit much. Should he have done it no, but acting like he's some kind of threat that needs treatment. Come on.

I just said that he should talk to someone. I'm not saying he's mentaly ill or that he needs treatment, just that maybe he could benefit to talk to someone about controlling his emotions. That's all I'm saying. Not that he's some evil person who is irredeemable or that he is some violent off the chains lunatic. Just that maybe that kind of public outburst is something that he could have handled better if he had a better handle on his emotions.

What makes you think Will Smith can't control his temper and emotions just because he decided to slap someone as opposed to not? That is getting into some racist stereotype territory, yeah he was obviously pissed but it doesn't mean he's lost control

And with that, I will be putting this thread on ignore. If someone else has something constructive to say to me, hit my DM's, because this is insanity.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Rock mocked a coworkers medical condition in a workplace setting

friday-movie-that-was-different.gif

Anyways, this thread is just becoming a proxy/stand in for the thread that got locked yesterday. I don't have the energy so I'm not doing this again.

If you want it to be a "Just walk away" situation, then my advice to you is to do your walking away before you say some shit that gets you rocked. If you want peace, then choose that shit upfront instead of lighting a fire and complaining about the smoke later.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just said that he should talk to someone. I'm not saying he's mentaly ill or that he needs treatment, just that maybe he could benefit to talk to someone about controlling his emotions. That's all I'm saying. Not that he's some evil person who is irredeemable or that he is some violent off the chains lunatic. Just that maybe that kind of public outburst is something that he could have handled better if he had a better handle on his emotions.
Pacificism is not a measure of emotional maturity

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine a world where people actually cared as much about the systemic violence that props up their unearned lifestyles and naive sense of security as they did about interpersonal violence between two people who don't even see it as much of a deal as random internet onlookers do.

"People who think that punch was weird actually don't care about systemic violence" is by far my favorite take out of this entire mess. There are a lot of amazing takes here, but that one is almost mesmerizing.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
"People who think that punch was weird actually don't care about systemic violence" is by far my favorite take out of this entire mess. There are a lot of amazing takes here, but that one is truly the greatest.

It's not in this thread, but the other thread has someone literally advocating in favor of state violence. So, it's not much of a stretch.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
All this philosophizing and pearl-clutching over a slap the affected person isn't even gonna press charges for. The Internet is just obnoxious right now.
Absolutely this. Like people are losing their shit over this saying Will Smith is mentally ill over it. The dude slapped a guy who talked shit about his wife's medical condition. I live in Scotland and I can't think of a single pub I've been in that such behaviour wouldn't result in some form of physical altercation. Let alone in a highly charged emotional situation.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Like I said, Chris is an asshole and I never liked him. But its super disturbing to see someone get slapped that hard on TV. Without warning, essentially sucker punching him. There was nothing right about that overt display and toxic of violence, when Chris didn't attack him physically. It's completely disheartening to see a black man do that to another black man on live TV. And I say this as a black man.

Wow. You really decided to double down after your posts last night?
If you don't agree with my opinion, then just ignore me. Like i'm about to do to you.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"People who think that punch was weird actually don't care about systemic violence" is by far my favorite take out of this entire mess. There are a lot of amazing takes here, but that one is almost mesmerizing.
I'm not going to entertain an adult who doesn't know the difference between a punch and a slap.

mr stroke

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly haven't, at least not since I was like 8 years old. I have control over my temper and emotions. Have you done this as an adult? Is this something you still do? When was the last time you physically attacked somone because you couldn't control your emotions?

I'm not saying Will should go to jail, or have charges pressed against him, or even lose his Oscar or Academy standing. Just that he should talk to someone about getting his emotions under control.

This is pure lunacy that people around here are ok with physically hitting someone because of words. I tell my children violence is never acceptable, ever. If someone makes fun of your mother at school WALK AWAY.

I can't imagine people here tell their children it's OK to hit other kids at school, if they make fun of your parents or siblings. WTF

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Why make a joke about a movie that came out 25 years ago in the first place, though? It's not relevant, it's not getting a remake, it's not getting a sequel, why make a joke like that except to call out Jada's hair loss in the first place?

Chris Rock's comedy is 25 years old too, the first mistake was the Oscars booking him for the event and not expecting Rock to punch low. Or perhaps expecting him to punch low and thinking it's a good thing.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how targeted insults from other grown adults gets watered down to "words", yall aint slick.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
This is pure lunacy that people around here are ok with physically hitting someone because of words. I tell my children violence is never acceptable, ever. If someone makes fun of your mother at school WALK AWAY.

I can't imagine people here tell their children it's OK to hit other kids at school, if they make fun of your parents or siblings. WTF
Agreed, I don't know what's going on with some of the takes. Since when is this OK? WTF is going on??

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I mean I tried to use words when I was bullied through all of middle school. I tried for three years.

The only thing that stopped them was me punching a kid in the face on a school trip and kneecapping another one with a baseball bat in the gym locker room. Nothing else worked. Words made it worse.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Stop calling it a sucker punch lmao. Will telegraphed that shit from a mile away and Chris stuck his head out like he was Anderson fucking Silva lol.

It's why so many people thought this was fake. Will's slow saunter, Chris's shit eating grin, the stage slap. It was so fucking ridiculous.

This isn't an endorsement for what Will did, but a sucker punch is a very different thing.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I actually have a question and hope someone can link me to something that it can explain it a bit more. I had no idea about this black culture around black womens hair(though I should have based on the black hair issues in gaming). I had always assumed that having extremely short hair or shaved heads was more accepted for women as it seems far more common than other cultures.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Well they had to do something since it was live but i don't expect much .
He will keep his Oscar and maybe get banned for next year .

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Still insane to me that Will Smith charged up on stage, slapped Chris Rock on national television, won an award and then gave a crazy unhinged speech about how God and Devil made him do it. What a show haha. More chaos is what these shows are missing. Loving it.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, Chris is an asshole and I never liked him. But its super disturbing to see someone get slapped that hard on TV. Without warning, essentially sucker punching him. There was nothing right about that overt display and toxic of violence, when Chris didn't attack him physically. It's completely disheartening to see a black man do that to another black man on live TV. And I say this as a black man.

If you don't agree with my opinion, then just ignore me. Like i'm about to do to you.

you hysterical thats why people disagreeing

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

This isn't what happened though.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Alternatively: Chris Rock mocked a women for having a medical issue and got slapped for it.

That's really the long and short of it.

I mean in some fantasy land where we're all emotionless husks who act as beings of pure logic, sure, you should be able to keep from slapping someone who insults your loved one. But we're human, and humans get emotional, especially where it concerns family.

And Chris Rock wasn't maimed. He got slapped in the jaw, and as pointed out plenty, doesn't care to escalate things further. If he felt any sting this morning it might have been to his pride, but he'll be okay.

At least more okay than Judd Apatow. 😂

Nov 19, 2019
Imagine a world where people actually cared as much about the systemic violence that props up their unearned lifestyles and naive sense of security as they did about interpersonal violence between two people who don't even see it as much of a deal as random internet onlookers do.
I mentioned it upthread, but what strikes me as systemic here is that there is no way in hell let a white presenter get slapped by an audience member for any reason. And if that somehow did happen, there's no way the slapper returns to their seat, no questions asked.

I get that Chris Rock didn't really paint a sympathetic figure here, but I do think the back and forth about what would happen "at a <mundane place of poster's choosing> if someone joked about your spouse" distracts from the fact that the Oscars for sure let this slide in a way that doesn't sit right. Not saying Will Smith needs to go to jail or anything silly--what's done is done--but the fact that they hired Chris Rock as as presenter and then just sat on their hands before, during, and after someone walked up and slapped him in the face is just...I dunno, it seems like that would go a lot differently for a white presenter.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if this this thread will stay open long enough to get another "The state's monopoly on violence is a good thing, actually" post

We're getting pretty close

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020

Well let's be fair, that wasn't a punch, it was a slap. Just to get technical here.

RK9

Apr 5, 2021
User Banned (1 Month): Disingenuous concern trolling in a sensitive thread across multiple posts
These Hollywood celebrities are so precious. The Smiths despite being millionaires and having lives 99% of the world could only dream of, can't take a joke or have their egos deflated without one of them thinking violence is the answer. Pathetic.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean I tried to use words when I was bullied through all of middle school. I tried for three years.

The only thing that stopped them was me punching a kid in the face on a school trip and kneecapping another one with a baseball bat in the gym locker room. Nothing else worked. Words made it worse.

Yep.

Anyone saying "just walk away" is speaking from a place of privilege. Sometimes the only way to make it stop is make them know there are repercussions.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I love how targeted insults from other grown adults gets watered down to "words", yall aint slick.
Yeah lol, just take the verbal abuse man, Violence is never the answer even if the words are that much of an attack on someone's being.
These Hollywood celebrities are so precious. The Smiths despite being millionaires and having lives 99% of the world could only dream of, can't take a joke or have their egos deflated without one of them thinking violence is the answer. Pathetic.
Just because you have money or privilege doesnt mean you have to just take shit on the chin all the time. Are yall ok? Like someone's humanity is automatically stripped away once they have some money, esp when they weren't even born into this shit.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Oh go away. Words have meaning, consequence. Imagine saying this in a world where certain groups have been oppressed and marginalized through words and rhetoric.

You don't get to tell them what is or isn't an acceptable response.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
People saying "hitting someone over words is wrong" are not fucking slick. You can't just remove the whole ass context, and the specific language used, of this situation like it isn't the entire reason this shit happened.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Damn, it only took like 7 posts to get another one of these.

Two facts:

1) Being rich doesn't make it okay to be bullied or mocked for medical conditions.

2) It was not a joke. Stop downplaying it and say what it actually was: making fun of how she looks. Words matter.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it would've been weirder if they didn't. A contractor got hit during their show by a guest and eventually an award winner. Of course they need to review the situation to figure it out.
  1. All this is is a review. They haven't condemned Will with this, nor have they condemned Chris his joke with this announcement. All they said they are looking into it to figure out what their stance and opinion on the matter are.
  2. 'But all the sexual predators..!' At the end of the day the Oscar orgs aren't responsible for that nor is it their responsibility to review and assess all those situations. But this did happen on their watch and so they are responsible, so of course they need to review it. If they should even allow or honor sexual predators is just another discussion entirely.
  3. 'But Chris Rock didn't press charges!' No of course he didn't. He'd come out looking bad no matter what. And at the end of the day it shouldn't matter if he presses charges or not for a review from the Oscars of the situation. Bit different, but in many situations when people report sexual assault they say they don't want the person fired when asked while in reality that person should definitely be fired after a proper review.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Why are ya'll using the school bully argument? If you hit somebody in School you're likely to get suspended or expelled and that's the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.