Status
Not open for further replies.

SPEA

Oct 29, 2017
Another thing that bums me out about all this, was Quest's moment completely got overshadowed and arguably ruined because of what Will decided to do. It just seemed like everyone was still buzzing and trying to figure out what was going that his award got completely lost. Such a bummer all around.

Talk to him after the show or backstage.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe some people here cannot discuss a drama involving rich people in a civil manner.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't stay silent since it was live. Reviewing as in biding time to find a whatever statement the Academy thinks will make themselves look best with least shit storm.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
What Will Smith did was wrong, even he would admit that and kind of did during his speech. However if they actually take his Oscar away while still celebrating known rapists, domestic abusers etc. there will be a major backlash.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
l2v6snj3evrz.gif
For real. Anything they have to say is toothless.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Ok, placing all of the other stuff aside. Can we at least agree to stop saying that alopecia is a sickness, or that people who have it are sick? I have alopecia, I'm not sick. It's a pretty common heredity condition.

Can it be embarrassing for people? Yes. Especially for celebrities and especially for women and especially for black women who are held to a higher standard.

She's not sick though. The comedian was not making fun of a sick person and their dire illness.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
ok here's an original observation

you're weird ass think a black man hitting somebody who made fun of his wife worse than an actual pedo cause it happened on screen

fuck outta here
when did i say the slap was worse than the shit the others did off screen? because hollywood is filled with scum of earth types chris rock gets to be assaulted? how does that work?

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Wilk Smith get the help he needs and overcome his mental struggle. On the other hand, he has achieved the opposite of he was after, since every comedian is going to mock bald people in general and Jada Smith in particular from now on.

Y'know if punching down on people's appearance due to medical conditions they can't control is your brand of "comedy", I ain't gonna lose a wink of sleep if that comedian gets slapped upside the head either.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
We're totally fucked seeing how all of this is over a slap of all things

I mean... Let's not kid ourselves, if it's making ALL these waves in SO many news cycles...it kinda is a big deal. Certainly a first for a major Awards show, I think. It was easy to make fun of a TV show with a somewhat similar premise, but some people really don't have (or I suppose, have to have) a sense of humour about it either. Cuz that shit can indeed be pretty personal (and Rock made a dumb joke at Jada's expense).

MV5BMjIxODYwNTIwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjA2ODgxNDE@._V1_.jpg

Context matters, yadda yadda. But certainly for this it really sucks that the Academy wants to investigate this (allegedly Rock and Smith have made up, too) and not a bajillion of its other winners with bigger skeletons in their closet.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What Will Smith did was wrong, even he would admit that and kind of did during his speech. However if they actually take his Oscar away while still celebrating known rapists, domestic abusers etc. there will be a major backlash.

They will almost definitely not take his award away after giving it to him. The optics on that would be staggeringly bad.

They will probably not invite him to next year's show, though, even though it's customary to invite the previous year's winners back.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Another thing that bums me out about all this, was Quest's moment completely got overshadowed and arguably ruined because of what Will decided to do. It just seemed like everyone was still buzzing and trying to figure out what was going that his award got completely lost. Such a bummer all around.

Talk to him after the show or backstage.
Yep this is the worst part. Two childish actions by two grown men ruined his moment. Great doc btw, everyone should watch it.

en.m.wikipedia.org

Summer of Soul - Wikipedia

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, placing all of the other stuff aside. Can we at least agree to stop saying that alopecia is a sickness, or that people who have it are sick? I have alopecia, I'm not sick. It's a pretty common heredity condition.

Can it be embarrassing for people? Yes. Especially for celebrities and especially for women and especially for black women who are held to a higher standard.

She's not sick though. The comedian was not making fun of a sick person and their dire illness.
I'm not sure how many more times this needs to be said, but are you a woman? Do you know how psychologically damaging it is for a woman to be unable to achieve a societal measure of femininity?

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
That's says more about comedians than anything Will did tonight.

Idk maybe comedians should stop being dicks and write better material.

I agree, I personally think that that non offensive humour is much better and funnier than offensive jokes, you couls see how uncomfortable JadaSmith was, comedy should not be at others expense.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Having seen some minor physical altercations go down at company events over similar distasteful shit, I've yet to see anyone lose their jobs.

A stern talking to by HR and maybe some scolding, but nothing big over a slap.

Some of you people do not live in the real world. lol

Who's slapping people or doing "similar distasteful shit"? You don't have to get into specifics, but can you give me the job field your in that would justify that kind of toxicity?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing a low hanging fruit joke to a ranting Nazi is just an insane comparison. Cmon...

When people suggest that no words in any context justify violence they're [reasonably and justifiably] calling you out because thats not the case in real life. There are a bunch of things that you can say to someone else that will absolutely invite violence upon you, and justifiably so. Maybe the baseline should be not to insult people to their face so you limit your exposure to violence.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
All this philosophizing and pearl-clutching over a slap the affected person isn't even gonna press charges for. The Internet is just obnoxious right now.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
What company do you work for that would let that go on. What the hell ?

Where I work (or any of the previous jobs I've ever had) BOTH PEOPLE WOULD BE FIRED immediately
A financial institution with tens of thousands of employees. To be clear, it's not a common thing to just happen and in almost 20 years I've only witnessed anything come to that less than a handful of times, but as far as I'm aware none of them were fired immediately and continued to be employed going forward.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Except when it comes to verbal abuse masked in the guise of a terrible joke apparently.
If Will Smith gets suspended for a year (they are NOT taking that Oscar back, that has NEVER happened), there is no chance Rock doesn't get the same. They want to be seen as taking some action, so both will be uninvited for 2023. Whatever they do to Smith, they'll do to Rock.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Meh he really should've been removed after it happened. Still wild he was able to walk on stage and attack someone and just go back to his seat and win an award later lol. He's lucky he's an A lister.

They'll review give him a slap on the wrist and that'll be it.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
Where's the line for you, then?
I don't have a line with words. If someone physically attacks me, my family or my friends then its game on. Words don't merit assault for me personally. I have worked in the juvenile/adult justice system for years in the past, so I have been called all kinds of things by very frustrated and immature people. I just try to be a bigger person and understand that that person is suffering and there isn't a need for response with violence.

Nov 19, 2019
I get that it was a tasteless joke. It wasn't very funny, but the fucking amount of people defending Will Smith here is blowing my mind. Acting like they'd do the same fucking thing and don't deserve to suffer consequences of your actions. Get out of here with that shit. Will Smith picked the the second worst (first being a closed fist punch) possible outcome when making the decision to physically confront Chris Rock on stage.

Of all the things he could have done, he chose one of the worst possible outcomes and you all think it's fine and should be normalized.
I agree with this AND I'll add to it the sort of...pre-emptive accusations of racism are really odd. Nothing of consequence has happened to Will Smith, and he uneventfully returned to his seat to later receive a major award. I mean...there's no lighter consequence than "nothing".

The thing I keep thinking is: Would Oscar security (or production, or whomever) let an audience member get up and slap a white presenter for any reason? Or expect a white presenter to play it off with a joke and keep rolling, no action necessary? For me the element of racism is what duty do the oscars have to protect an employee/contractor/whatever, and did they fill that duty here? (no) And would they have filled that duty if it was George Clooney presenting? (doubtlessly)

This is all completely aside and apart from anything Chris Rock said or Will Smith did.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
How do we know that all of this isn't just to purchase attention for the Oscars? Show's been off the air for two years and was mired in controversy pre-pandemic. Now everyone is talking about it. Y'all see that as a coincidence?

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt anything significant happens but unless they makeup in public Will probably won't be awarding an Oscar next year.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
All this philosophizing and pearl-clutching over a slap the affected person isn't even gonna press charges for. The Internet is just obnoxious right now.

Yup. It's fucking ridiculous that folks are this worried about the whole thing when both involved parties are already moving the hell on.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This could be worse for Smith than people think.

The Academy updated their code of conduct quite recently (Dec 2017) as a reaction to Me Too. They will lose all credibility in these matters if they don't go by the book.
Oh no what would the Academy do without their credibility... that they definitely have...

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You would not still have a job in any company.
Y'all need to stop using the corporate world as this righteous arbiter, especially not on a video game forum where we've seen multiple stories of abusers and assaulters keep their job. The fact is that you have no idea how every company would react to a situation.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
This has got to be the lamest controversy ever. Can't wait for Chris to go on Joe Rogan and discuss the impact this will have on comedians far and wide. hahaha.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh the memes have turned on Will today across the internet, going far beyond the expected Tupac jokes. Really sad for all involved. Dumb joke by Rock, even worse actions by Will imo since it will always overshadow his Oscar win now.

I get why he did it but man, the more I learn about the Smith family's real lives the more I wish I hadn't found out so much about them. Good luck to the Smith family and most of all Jada as they work through this

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget the armchair psychologists who are deeply concerned about Will's obvious mental health issues 🙄
Half of them always shocked when some white dude goes on a shooting spree. But no, this is the incident where we need to come to the table about violence.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Will's been cookie-cutter clean for how many years?

In an industry full of pedos, rapists, abusers, and Weinsteins let's go for the one guy who slapped Chris Rock for making an insensitive joke.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Folks, there have been 94 Oscar ceremonies and they've never once rescinded an award after giving it out.

They're not going to start now.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Will's only punishment should be not getting invited to next year's Oscars, that's it.

Chris Rock was joking about the slap immediately after, and he's gonna be using this moment in his standup routine and upcoming comedy tour I'm sure. Will Smith is the most talked about thing at the Oscars. The show had a 56% boost in ratings from last year and a hugely viral moment. Everyone won.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
I'm not sure how many more times this needs to be said, but are you a woman? Do you know how psychologically damaging it is for a woman to be unable to achieve a societal measure of femininity?

My post was about people constantly equating alopecia with being a "sickness". That's it. My point is that when you call it a sickness, or an illness, you're basically making a leper out of the person who just wants to be seen as "normal".

I literally said in my post that women, especially black women, are held to higher standards that likely leads to embarrassment. But go off I guess.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Some of the people in this thread that are "ok" with physical violence caused by a comment/joke is mind blowing. So if someone pisses you off, you just slap them?

The most frustrating part about comments like this is that they purposefully avoid the context behind the slap and simplify it to "a joke."

It wasn't "physical violence caused by a comment/joke."

It was "physical violence caused by a man making fun of a woman's medical condition to her face and in front of her husband and that same man had made shitty 'jokes' about her before."

If someone comes up to you and your partner at the store and makes fun of how they looks, you're unlikely to walk away. There will be some sort of confrontation.

Status
Not open for further replies.