Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Been enjoying this on PC, but I know a lot of my friends are still waiting on that Xbox patch. Hoping it drops before the weekend. Really into a rhythm now. Traversal is awesome if only I could stop confusing L1 and R1 on grapple/sand points. LOL
Yeah I got confused by those quite often. Also I hated the sand points. Trying to get yourself in the direction you actually want is a pain in the ass

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So did this happen to anyone else?
I ended up defeating Kwolok as a boss before I even triggered that part of the story. Then when I got to that part of the story, Kwolok was briefly alive again to trigger a cutscene. Now though, I noticed it never actually gave me credit for the Wisp in that area and I can't get progress without it.

Is this a thing?

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys,

We're working on the patch as hard as we can but unfortunately the COVID situation isn't helping us in speeding things up. Here's hoping that the patch lands very soon this week on all platforms. The patch is going to be rather beefy and have a lot of great fixes (audio issues, achievements, progression blockers, etc) and performance improvements but I wanted to share a few things that were specifically asked on these boards.

We have added exclusive full screen mode for PC to hopefully avoid any potential stutter due to G-sync, dual monitor and other setups. We're also looking into better DX chain-swap methods that might make borderless-windowed full screen better (for those that might have had stutter issues on their setups) in a later patch with PC HDR support.

newGraphicsSettings.png

Motion blur can now be reduced or exaggerated as a percentage for those that like a nice in-between or want to have more of it.
We are also adding static resolution scaling that allows running the game at lower than native resolution for better performance, or higher resolution for super-sampling and sharper image quality if your machine can handle it on PC.
We will probably expose dynamic resolution scaling on PC in the next patch with a target framerate property to allow for less framerate variance for those cases where you are GPU bound (is is most likely the main bottleneck on PCs).

newHudOptions.png

We are also adding the ability to fully hide the in game HUD or make it dynamic, which will automatically hide the UI after a few seconds if your energy/health values have not changed, which is probably best for those that like to play the game without the HUD but do not want to go into the options to toggle it on and off all the time. This will work and be the same on PC and console versions of the game.

vibrationOptions.png

Controller vibration is now also a % allowing you to tone it down or exaggerate to your liking, so you don't have to settle for having it full power or none at all :)
Any chance we're getting the patch today/tomorrow? :)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I got confused by those quite often. Also I hated the sand points. Trying to get yourself in the direction you actually want is a pain in the ass
Yeah, I find it pretty difficult even with a controller, and this is somewhat recently after having done all the similar 'flying' levels in Celeste that have the same type of snake-like movement. I keep forgetting to dash out of the sand for some reason to make jumps and to continue burrowing. I know it's my fault, but having those extra button presses or separate buttons for similar actions is throwing me off.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I've had a very nasty graphical glitch on XB1X with the M. Depths boss. The were flashes at first but then the background disappeared and then everything was black and the fight still went on and I had to quit the entire game as not even the abandon challenge option worked anymore. A shame because it was just second try and I was doing well. It all started with the laser attack. Very fucked up. Of course with bad frame rate all the time, that boss is fucking intense! Woah.

I have it recorded, will see if I can link later.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I've had a very nasty graphical glitch on XB1X with the M. Depths boss. The were flashes at first but then the background disappeared and then everything was black and the fight still went on and I had to quit the entire game as not even the abandon challenge option worked anymore. A shame because it was just second try and I was doing well. It all started with the laser attack. Very fucked up. Of course with bad frame rate all the time, that boss is fucking intense! Woah.

I have it recorded, will see if I can link later.

Done in the third next try. The flashes came back at the end of the next try but it got back to normal after triggering the mid fight sequence, in which I died the first time. I was surprised to see there's a checkpoint there. Then I died in the other half -because of a gimmick I didn't expect (but it's cool)-, which also has a checkpoint and then I totally destroyed it the next time better prepared. All that in hard mode. Very intense.

Definitely arc is OP with just two spirit shards.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Man the chase sequences are annoyingly hard. Mostly because I don't usually see enough beforehand and can be in a bad spot for jump. It wouldn't be to bad otherwise, but you are basically instantly dead if you do any mistakes. Ori and the blind forest had the exact same "issue".

Vico

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Just finished it. 100%. And what a game!!!
I knew I'd like it, but I certainly didn't know it'd be that good! Congrats (and thank you!) to Moon for such an epic adventure. Controls were just perfect, art is amazing and that music... I'll listent to the ost on repeat soon. I think I'll deeply miss this franchise, game might have gone out at the exact perfect time with Covid, but it was really special nonetheless.

My only complaint would be the difficulty. I follow this site regularly, and after reading the creative director's comments on difficulty, I certainly didn't want to play on Hard, because I didn't want to get frustrated, but normal felt... Really easy? I never had any real challenge, barely had to replay bosses once or twice, so I find it funny reading comments on bosses and escape sequences (I'm pretty bad at videogames, just to be clear, at least for a gamer I mean), though I don't quite understand what is harder on hard during chases. Is the chase faster? Is the window to dash and jump tighter?

Anyway, it was incredible. Thank you to the team. Can't wait to see what's next with the Action RPG.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Finished it just now. Great game. I feel like it was a much more mature Metroidvania game thant he first one where that aspect was almost an excuse for the really great moments of the game. Yet I feel the prequel might have bigger highs.

The point is that it's beautiful, fun, touching and engaging. Just fantastic.

I also want a pet owl.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I had a very fine time with the game as well :)
I enjoyed it very much, i was a conquered individual in advance though since i loved the ori-ginal ;)

The only technical hiccup i had was because of my HDD i think, sound cut for about 1 to 2 seconds before each speech segment... otherwise, it was pretty smooth in Win7 (steam ver) on my rusty but faithful gtx 970.
No crash despite the very long sessions, stability on point.

Mighty fine job, I hope the team can get a well earned rest when the patch for our peers' platform of choice is delivered.

No idea what comes next for Moon Studios, but if part of it is a SP experience, it will be on my radar for sure.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. 100%. And what a game!!!
I knew I'd like it, but I certainly didn't know it'd be that good! Congrats (and thank you!) to Moon for such an epic adventure. Controls were just perfect, art is amazing and that music... I'll listent to the ost on repeat soon. I think I'll deeply miss this franchise, game might have gone out at the exact perfect time with Covid, but it was really special nonetheless.

My only complaint would be the difficulty. I follow this site regularly, and after reading the creative director's comments on difficulty, I certainly didn't want to play on Hard, because I didn't want to get frustrated, but normal felt... Really easy? I never had any real challenge, barely had to replay bosses once or twice, so I find it funny reading comments on bosses and escape sequences (I'm pretty bad at videogames, just to be clear, at least for a gamer I mean), though I don't quite understand what is harder on hard during chases. Is the chase faster? Is the window to dash and jump tighter?

Anyway, it was incredible. Thank you to the team. Can't wait to see what's next with the Action RPG.

Yeah im glad I played on Hard. A playthrough I watched of Normal they could largely just spam attacks at the bosses and take hits.
The Water area boss went down after only having done one attack on his second phase.

Cogigo

Mar 16, 2020
Story discussion:

The more that I think about the story the less I like it. I think that WotW tries to tell to many stories at ones and no storyline gets the time to really have an inpact that is earned. Kus and Oris sibling relationship gets some time to shine but then gets totally sidelined in the middle of the story. Gumo and Naru get nothing to do and could have been a helping hand in rebuilding the Wellspring Glades. Kwoloks death is too quick. Baur and Mora. . . well happen to be there. And all the named characters in the Wellspring Glades feel like they should have had a stoy behind them but we never really get to know them. And I don´t need big cutscenes for them but small enviromental storytelling things would have been nice. Maybe find a picture of Tuleys family or find Tokks and Lupos traveling diaries. Whats the deal with Twillen. I would also have loved to see Motay in the background stalking you in some places. WotWs character designs are lovely but the characters themselfs feel pretty flat.

Am I the only one who feels like this? I love the game for its gameplay, art and music. But the storytelling doesn´t get the time do go in depth and it feels like a huge missed opportunity. WotW has more characters then Blind Forest but the game roughly has the same length. The world feels smaller because all these characters don´t get the time they need.

Any thoughts on that?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Still no update... :(
Think I'm going to move on. Hype for this is starting to wean heavily.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Story discussion:

The more that I think about the story the less I like it. I think that WotW tries to tell to many stories at ones and no storyline gets the time to really have an inpact that is earned. Kus and Oris sibling relationship gets some time to shine but then gets totally sidelined in the middle of the story. Gumo and Naru get nothing to do and could have been a helping hand in rebuilding the Wellspring Glades. Kwoloks death is too quick. Baur and Mora. . . well happen to be there. And all the named characters in the Wellspring Glades feel like they should have had a stoy behind them but we never really get to know them. And I don´t need big cutscenes for them but small enviromental storytelling things would have been nice. Maybe find a picture of Tuleys family or find Tokks and Lupos traveling diaries. Whats the deal with Twillen. I would also have loved to see Motay in the background stalking you in some places. WotWs character designs are lovely but the characters themselfs feel pretty flat.

Am I the only one who feels like this? I love the game for its gameplay, art and music. But the storytelling doesn´t get the time do go in depth and it feels like a huge missed opportunity. WotW has more characters then Blind Forest but the game roughly has the same length. The world feels smaller because all these characters don´t get the time they need.

Any thoughts on that?

I think its largely due to the genre not being optimal for linear storytelling, but I think they did a good job with environmental storytelling either way. Having Motay in the backgrounds sounds cheesy and sorta undoes the concept that hes watching you from a distance without you knowing.

Community Bug Report Update 3.27
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Patch is currently in the final stages of development for a release next week:
www.orithegame.com

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Patch Now Available [5.14]

Dear Ori Fans, We’d like to thank all of you for the heartwarming words of support, constructive feedback, and patience as we improve the game and address the issues some of you have encountered.

Community Bug Report Update 3.27
Happy Friday! Our team is putting the final touches on the upcoming patch release and we would once again like to thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. Let's dive deeper into what you can expect:

Added Features:
  • New Dynamic HUD mode as well as option to hide HUD
  • Exclusive Fullscreen Option Added
  • Resolution Scaling Option Added
Changes:
  • Fast travel from map will now be sold as a separate upgrade from Opher
Key Fixes:
  • Achievements: Healthy and Powerful achievements should be granted automatically when loading a save that meets all the criteria.
    • Note: Destiny, Hardcore Fan, Shardless, Lightless, Look at the Time and Immortal will be granted when loading the save with a completed game while meeting the criteria for these achievements. However, if you skipped the epilogue cutscene, you may need to beat the final boss again.
  • Improved overall performance, including map loading times, scenes, and asset loading
  • Audio buzzing/stuttering removed or reduced
  • Localization and missing characters/fonts with Asian languages fixed
    • Note: There are still some issues with the Quick Access leaderboards for all languages which will be addressed in the next patch.
  • Controller button functionality fixed
  • Crashing/Freezing on start menu fixed
  • Handful of softlocks and one-off crashes fixed, such as getting trapped behind a door
  • Several instances of your screen going black at certain moments throughout the game fixed
  • PC Keyboard fixes: Incorrect button prompts, keybinding polish, toggling between keyboard and controllers, and more
  • Numerous polish fixes throughout the world and UI including textures, vignettes, animations, audio, enemy one-offs, Motay stats, game menus, UI prompts, and more
  • Picking up collectibles fixed
We will be sure to let you know on all social media channels as soon as the new patch drops. Your feedback has been incredible, and we believe the upcoming build will solve a large number of issues you have shared with us.

Thank you again, and more updates next week!

Cogigo

Mar 16, 2020
Sounds good for the patch, but I don't like taking the fast travel away from us like this unless you buy an upgrade.

"Fast travel from map will now be sold as a separate upgrade from Opher"

I think thats the best way to go. They never explain that you can fast travel from the map during the game. Having you buy that ability from Opher feels like a great ingame upgrade and it also lets you know that this abilty exists.

Edit: Its also cool to see that they allow themselves to change gameplay stuff after launch. I hope we will see more of that. Like more cutscenes being skippable for example.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh.

Taking away fast travel and making it a purchase is like, a bad idea given I've already used it a few times when I got glitched into the map...

Really feel like such a change shouldn't be added.

Apr 19, 2018
  • The map when opened up was zoomed way out, and I always had to zoom in. Perhaps the default should have been zoomed in?

I second this. It was an issue with the first game as well, having to constantly zoom in with each enter of the map. An option to choose and keep it at a certain magnification level by default would be incredibly useful.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Probably about 75% of the way through at this point (a random glitch made it so my play time reads at 35 hours, which is definitely not the case). Enjoying it immensely, it's just as finely crafted as the first one, but the tech issues are a shame. I'm not the type to be a stickler for frame rate, but woof. It's not even just a poor frame rate, the game regularly just hitches for a second or two at inopportune times. It's a shame, and really does dampen the experience.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As much as I may have been complaining about the bugs, glitches and performance issues, my God is this game just mesmerising to play.

The art is simply stunning, the music atmospheric and incredibly engrossing, and the pacing with respect to how your skills and sense of progress grows or develops, just excellent.

I also love how there's a constant dynamism and diversity to gameplay in each of the areas, with enough new mechanics in every area/environment to add just enough variety to keep things interesting, eg burrow, lighting up the darkness, unlocking each new skill and ability etc. I haven't been blown away by the story though, and find it a bit too familiar in places to the first.

All in all though, It really is (mostly) a joy to play despite being hampered by so many technical issues.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
The achievement fix part of the patch is bizarre. Just give everyone who unlocked Beat Shriek the complete game achievements too.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game yesterday. I'll see if the achievements i "earned" but that didn't Unlock will do so after the patch.

fucking fantastic game...

Oct 27, 2017
This is far superior to something like Hollow Knight, IMO. It's far more accessible and customizable. Here, I actually feel encouraged to explore because I won't lose items when I do, there is a good auto-save system and I can warp out of any areas I find myself trapped in. Plus the art and music are as good as I've ever experienced from a 2D perspective.

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not sure if mentioned before, but this game crashes my One X on the load screen. Is there any way to fix this?

edit: AH I'm reading that it's not only the loading screen but some bosses as well. Hope a patch is coming soon.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Just completed the last escape sequence, and it reminded me of the first game lol. That rush after completing it was pretty great!

This is so F'ing frustratingly. Thinking of just stopping. I'm weak.
We can talk all about the tight controls but it's anything but when traveling in tight spaces in sand.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The water boss is fucking impossible. Been trying for over an hour this morning. I guess I should go back and spend more light to raise my health? Uhhh, busy work.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone,

I was the Art Director and Story Lead for Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I've been catching up on this thread, and just wanted to say that I've enjoyed reading all the feedback on our team's work. Thanks!

I tell you what... I was at the end of my wits with how the art could evolve after the gorgeous Blind Forest. Somehow you guys managed to put together the most beautiful, and varied game art i've ever laid eyed on.

I'd like to give special credit for the living environmental hazards. All the flora that help you navigate while also trying to eat you are simultaneously beautiful and disturbing.

Apr 19, 2018
Everyone lauds the bow, but does anyone else besides me find Spike to be a lot more effective against bosses?

When upgraded, it really makes short work of 'em.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone lauds the bow, but does anyone else besides me find Spike to be a lot more effective against bosses?

I think the Spike is more useful when the window of opportunity is very short -which isn't that common-, but in general the bow offers the better DPS as you can just spam it most of the time.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017

Spike looks cool but is inefficient for repeated use. It requires more energy and is slower due to longer animation frames. If you can finish an enemy in one Spike, then it works well. It does have long range and homing, so it has its uses for sure.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my gosh I loved this game. Got 100% (glitched the "Beat the Game" achievement though) and loved it so much. Some slowdown and pop in issues aside, what a joy.

My only complaint/request:

After Blind Forest's ending with Kuro's sacrifice, I figured Shriek would have a chance at redemption. I realize not all antagonists get one, but after Baur's story, it felt like she deserved one. The way she curled up to her frozen parents at the end made me feel so bad for her.

My request would be for post game DLC where a reborn Ku seeks out Shriek and finds a way to bring her some peace.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Been stuck on this gd torpedo part with the purple wall for 20-30 mins in Windswept Wastes. :( Got it to follow me all the way there once but it hit me right in front of the wall and didn't explode it. :*(

Finally did it after like 45 minutes! I was trying to guide it but I guess you need to dash far away... sheesh.

Last edited:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Patch live in Steam beta branch

Cogigo

Mar 16, 2020
The new patch is in the steam beta branch right now. Great patch for what I played so far.

steamcommunity.com

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Patch Open Beta! :: Ori and the Will of the Wisps General Discussions

Dear players, Thank you for your continuous support and generous help finding and reproducing bugs. The information you provide is invaluable and it greatly helps us tackle the issues. We've been hard at work not only to fix those but also to improve the performance of our game so that more...

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I used spike on all bosses for my first play through... I felt it was the way to go thanks to the huge damage per shot and I can focus on movement between shots... the trade off is your constantly needing to replenish your energy

But now I see there's really no wrong weapon to use. I see people absolutely owning with just an upgraded bow, or just the hammer, or just the sword.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
So is there no way one can purchase/listen to the Piano Collection CD that came housed with the Collector's Edition of the game?

vgmdb.net

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - The Piano Collections - VGMdb

Commercial, Enclosure (CD) published by Xbox Game Studios on Mar 11, 2020 containing arrangement from Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Has anyone given it a listen? Thoughts?

I've only listened to the first couple tracks since I'm waiting on the update to continue, but it's pretty great.

There will be a digital release sometime down the road as well.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Luma Pools. These graphics and the music. I don't know if I've experienced something so beautiful before! <3

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Is there any order I should take in finding the
Lost Wisps
in terms of abilities needed or side quest reasons?

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I'm stuck in luma pools. On a place that it feels like I need to breathe underwater forever and a underwater dash. There's some rocks that fall under water, 3 of them, and I've been holding my breath for too long. Watching playthrough I notice people without a breathing bar.... But I do... Not sure what to do

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm stuck in luma pools. On a place that it feels like I need to breathe underwater forever and a underwater dash. There's some rocks that fall under water, 3 of them, and I've been holding my breath for too long. Watching playthrough I notice people without a breathing bar.... But I do... Not sure what to do
To make it easier, head back to
Wellspring Glade and buy Water Breath from Opher. It's cheap, and you won't have to worry about the oxygen bar anymore.