• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I found it a bit dull after a few hours. Better thank Hollow Knight, at least. Not a problem with Momodora because it was Over in a few hours. Now that's how you do a sentimental metroid like.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing it for the first time recently thanks to game pass. Honestly compared to Hollow Knight it feels like a pale shadow in comparison. I'm disappointed because I'd heard good things.

Jan 10, 2018
My only real gripe with this game was the combat. The lack of visual clarity and all of the bright effects on screen made it hard to engage with. The idea that you control this small orb that shoots large light rays that obscure your view just didn't work for me.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Ori and the Blind Forest is a platformer. You don't criticize Mario, Donkey Kong, or Rayman for having "bad combat" so I don't know why you would here. You typically use enemies as stepping stones just as you would in those games, otherwise instead of throwing fireballs, shells, or punches when you need to dispatch enemies, you throw little orb things instead.

Completely agree. When I first saw the trailer, nothing screamed combat to me. Art, story, and music did.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Ori is an incredible platformer and the platforming evolves massively throughout the game. Comparing it to Hollow Knight is just pointless. They focus on and excel at completely different things. They are not really similar at all. I guess trying to fit everything in the same genre isn't a good idea after all.

That anyone can play Ori and don't see what a fantastic platformer it is blows my mind.

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
Lol, these threads and comments are always the same. OP complains or says X game is the best ever. And then the usual love or hate comments.

I can be put in the love comments, game was incredible for me. Absolutely adored it. And it was really because of the amazing platforming.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
7/10 is disappointing? Wow OP

Couldn't disagree more - still my favourite game of the generation

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ori is an incredible platformer and the platforming evolves massively throughout the game. Comparing it to Hollow Knight is just pointless. They focus on and excel at completely different things. They are not really similar at all. I guess trying to fit everything in the same genre isn't a good idea after all.

That anyone can play Ori and don't see what a fantastic platformer it is blows my mind.

Exactly. I played Hollow Knight too and basically gave up on it, for the time being, because it's a different kind of game.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was relentless in throwing you abilities and powerups and I never felt like I just got a chance to exist in that world, because it's always pushing you forward. Overdesigned, in a way. Not one of my favorites but I love the art and am looking forward to Will of the Wisps.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Uuuuh, you're wrong OP. This game is a masterpiece.

If you don't like this game, you probably don't like any metroidvania.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
When I bought the Switch in August of this year, there were two games that topped my list. One was Cuphead which by a significant amount surpassed my expectations and the other was Ori. I had already played Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild in 2017 on a relative's Switch so my top 5 consisted of other not so obvious must haves... I am a huge Metroidvania fan so never having an Xbox 360 stung whenever people would heap praise on Ori... Soon as the rumors started to float around that it'd hit the Switch I was salivating at the thought of it finally getting into my hands. As soon as it was available for preorder I went ahead and did that. After a couple of months between release and me whittling down the backlog I finally got to it.

It started with a lotta promise. Ori moves and feels great to handle, the gorgeous world seemed ripe for secrets and exploration and the gameplay albeit simple seemed like it would ramp up to something special... But it didn't.

I'm probably about ~70% through the game and it's so shameful how the combat, enemy encounter variety and general loop has not evolved a lick from the 1st half hour. You're fighting the same 3-4 enemies in the same ways, navigating the environments in pretty much a repeated loop that makes none of the areas stand out on their own despite how visually impressive they are.

The game also unfortunately seems to be artificially difficult to make up for its mechanical shortcomings on the encounters. Ori can only sustain two or three hits from pretty much any enemy or hazard and it's pretty annoying and cheap a lotta the time, yes there's a checkpoint system that mitigates a lot of the hassle and repetition but I feel like that was a cop-out implementation to not properly balance the game.

I am maybe coming off rough in this post but I've mostly enjoyed my time with the game, it's just that I think it's vastly underachieving on its potential. A borderline 7/10 experience atm. Hopefully Will of the Wisp is a big improvement because it has a lot of promise as a series.

This is why I have never finished the game, and I keep starting it, then dropping it. It's a gorgeous looking game, and it has platforming that's rather fun, but it just never comes together to be compelling enough for me to see it all the way to the end. I have no idea how long it is either overall, but it certainly can't be as long as Hollow Knight with all the DLC, and maybe not even as long as the HK base game, but I've managed to finish that three times now.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
It's greater than the sum of its parts (but I was maybe a tiny wee bit disappointed as well, mostly due to high expectations). It has ok combat, good platforming, very good design , and great art. Overall I kept wanting to play more in spite of its flaws.

In the battle of the metroidvanias, i did prefer hollow knight though!

Oct 28, 2017
One of the few games where I literally do not understand the immense praise it receives.

Which is fine, mind you, but I'm always just so baffled by it.
Stylish graphics and emotional manipulative story with at least serviceable gameplay usually do that.

(I thought it was just an average metroidvania with terrible escape sequences)

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I get the criticism and it's hard to make a game that's truly for everyone, but I think It'll be very interesting to see how people will react to Will of the Wisps :) For Blind Forest, we absolutely focused on platforming, since I was always a bit annoyed that while 'running and jumping' was always one of the core mechanics of Metroidvanias, usually the platforming mechanics in other Metroidvanias were super basic and I never quite understood why it's apparently 'okay' that that aspect usually ends up so much more basic than what 2d Mario delivered 25+ years ago in Metroidvania games.

I mean, the characterController in Ori and the Blind Forest is waaaaay more intricate than anything you usually see in other Metroidvanias, cause our goal was to make sure that we nail that aspect and looking at what moves people can perform by the time they finish the game, I think we delivered on that front. To me, Blind Forest really becomes its own thing once you finished the Ginso Tree and can now doubleJump and Bash through levels without even touching the ground, etc. - People start to understand the rhythm and perform some insane moves and that was the whole idea. Enemies in BF were more about creating dynamic obstacles that you'd platform around.

For Will of the Wisps, our goal was to elevate all the other aspects as well, so that you'd end up with this perfectly rounded package. Our goal for Will of the Wisps was that people would see a similar jump between BF and WotW that people saw between Zelda 1 to Zelda 3 or Super Mario Bros 1 to Super Mario Bros 3. I think WotW will deliver for the people who absolutely need super tight combat in their Metroidvanias, or people who want more story / NPCs, Sidequests, Bosses, etc.

So while it's almost impossible to make everybody happy, my hope is that with Will of the Wisps we'll make a ton more people happy :)

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
One of the few games where I literally do not understand the immense praise it receives.

Which is fine, mind you, but I'm always just so baffled by it.

I feel the same about the latest Forza Horizon. I've downloaded it about 5 times on gamepass and I don't get why people think it's so great. I'm happy for them though.

At the end of the day it's ok to not like something as much as others do.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Played it like 5 entire times on Switch after beating on PC. Only achievement missing the two of not dying even once. Tried it a few times and would liked to do it, but it was a bit too much time consuming. At this level is an amazing platformer.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I get the criticism and it's hard to make a game that's truly for everyone, but I think It'll be very interesting to see how people will react to Will of the Wisps :) For Blind Forest, we absolutely focused on platforming, since I was always a bit annoyed that while 'running and jumping' was always one of the core mechanics of Metroidvanias, usually the platforming mechanics in other Metroidvanias were super basic and I never quite understood why it's apparently 'okay' that that aspect usually ends up so much more basic than what 2d Mario delivered 25+ years ago in Metroidvania games.

I mean, the characterController in Ori and the Blind Forest is waaaaay more intricate than anything you usually see in other Metroidvanias, cause our goal was to make sure that we nail that aspect and looking at what moves people can perform by the time they finish the game, I think we delivered on that front. To me, Blind Forest really becomes its own thing once you finished the Ginso Tree and can now doubleJump and Bash through levels without even touching the ground, etc. - People start to understand the rhythm and perform some insane moves and that was the whole idea. Enemies in BF were more about creating dynamic obstacles that you'd platform around.

For Will of the Wisps, our goal was to elevate all the other aspects as well, so that you'd end up with this perfectly rounded package. Our goal for Will of the Wisps was that people would see a similar jump between BF and WotW that people saw between Zelda 1 to Zelda 3 or Super Mario Bros 1 to Super Mario Bros 3. I think WotW will deliver for the people who absolutely need super tight combat in their Metroidvanias, or people who want more story / NPCs, Sidequests, Bosses, etc.

So while it's almost impossible to make everybody happy, my hope is that with Will of the Wisps we'll make a ton more people happy :)

Always appreciate the devs that take the time to come into threads where their work is being criticized. Looking forward to what's in store next.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
As mentioned above, the combat is weak because, well, have you seen Ori? He's tiny. He's not meant to be a strong character and the game isn't a power fantasy. It's a game about super precise twitch platforming... And the best this decade. It's difficulty harks back to games of yore too.

Im actually a little apprehensive that Moon are enhancing the combat side in the sequel,though these folks know what they're doing.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see devs posting and responding to criticisms. Can't wait for the sequel.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
I get the criticism and it's hard to make a game that's truly for everyone,

I do not think you should even try to make a game for everyone. To me it seems a lot of the criticism of Ori is weird. I mean, one of the most common complaints are "no bosses". Not all games need bosses. In fact, I'd argue most games (not all) would be better off without them. And to be fair to Ori, the escape sequences are basically the bosses of the game. And I much rather have "boss battles" that elevates what you are normally doing rather than throwing something completely different at you (unfortunately very usual with bosses) .

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's in my top 5 of the generation so I can't agree at all. It's rare that I get so immersed in a game, it gripped me from beginning to end.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's in my top 5 of the generation so I can't agree at all. It's rare that I get so immersed in a game, it gripped me from beginning to end.

I was hooked as soon as you complete the first escape sequence. Just figuring out when to bash and wall jump your way out of the tree with the music loop remains one of the more memorable experiences this gen. It's rare when music in the background feels like it's actively encouraging you to escape because I died so many times but the audio really makes that sequence shine.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It's not fair to compared it to Hollow Knight.
When you start making that comparison every game looks kinda crappy.

Ori is still really good. Hollow Knight is just that once in a generation absurd quality game.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a very good game mechanically, which is a shame because the presentation and visuals are some of the most beautiful ever.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

I always say it's a platforming focused metroidvania. Ginso Tree was when the game got really good for me, enjoyed the various platforming "boss" type moments. I'm excited about WotW.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Ori and the Blind Forest is a platformer. You don't criticize Mario, Donkey Kong, or Rayman for having "bad combat" so I don't know why you would here. You typically use enemies as stepping stones just as you would in those games, otherwise instead of throwing fireballs, shells, or punches when you need to dispatch enemies, you throw little orb things instead.

It's not just a platformer, even though it is more focussed on it than other Metroidvanias. It makes you traverse the same routes again while exploring with enemies that respawn very quickly so you have to fight them pretty often or try to run past them which is not that fun or useful sometimes.
Also, you mainly gain XP through defeating enemies, it thereby encourages you to fight. How is this comparable to Mario or DK?

It's fun to hop on an enemies head and move on in Mario or DK, but this is imo not the right comparison. It just didn't feel good to me to spam the ghost flame from a safe distance at enemies. I don't like the feedback at all and the bright lights of your own plus the enemies' projectiles make it confusing to look at sometimes.

I agree with OP's points of criticism but I'd still rate it higher. Mainly because of the great movement options and fluidity. I had a lot of fun with it! I'll definitely play the sequel.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I think you should think of it as a platformer instead of metroidvania.
The point the not really the combat but flow of movement.
Have you gotten "that movement mechanic" yet. In my opinion it changed the whole game.
Hmm, I always stopped for every fight and did not find it as fun as I thought. So fighting is more of a plan b?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't agree with the combat complaints at all. But I also have more fun playing fast and constantly jumping. While shooting fireballs seems like your bread and butter attack, you unlock more abilities to take out enemies in more creative ways. Redirecting a projectile back to enemies, doing a ground pound that can put the jumping spiders on their back and following up with a dash to attack those owls out of the sky. I've managed to get kill chains without touching the ground just because the feel of bouncing off heads and dashing through enemies is fun.

Can't wait to see how the combat is fleshed out even more in the sequel.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I think the criticisms on combat are justified in a vacuum but Ori focuses on platforming and movement rather than primarily combat. It makes sense too that Ori wouldn't be a violent type merely making war with the forest to avenge it. It makes more sense that agility and grace are more important. It's not like the combat is bad either, it just is easier and less skill based.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's definitely easier to be disappointed with high regarded games.

Imo Ori enters the "good platformer / bad metroidvania" category (Like a Guacamelee, for example) and it's easier to like the game if you think of it as a 2D Sands of Time era Prince of Persia.

I don't have a problem with the combat, as i get its scope and limitation, but when i hear the word "Metroidvania" i expect a stronger level of exploration, so i was a little disappointed as well. It's all a matter of expectations.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I felt the same way. A few hours in I could just see the entire structure of the game and I'm particularly susceptible to dropping games when that happens. Wasn't bothered by the combat at all, but I found the platforming to be quite frustrating, actually.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The game isn't about the enemies or the combat, it's about the platforming and movement through different environments. As a pretty big fan of platformers it's a solid 8.5 from me.

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
It's not fair to compared it to Hollow Knight.
When you start making that comparison every game looks kinda crappy.

Ori is still really good. Hollow Knight is just that once in a generation absurd quality game.
Meeeeeehhhh, I really thought the platforming in Hollow Knight was not that great and does not compare well. It's definitely not as tight.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
My main criticism would be that the game sometimes seemed to care more about cinematic presentation to the detriment of the player's experience. For example, there is a scene where you have to escape an explosion after beating a boss. It's intended to be an exhilarating climax, with fast pacing and soaring music. However, if you slip up at all during the sequence you are killed and have to start over. The effect undermines the goal of the scene, making the player feel frustrated instead of triumphant.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Super Mario Bros 1 to Super Mario Bros 3 is setting the bar very very very high.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Oooooh, this gets me even more excited!! Already got the beautiful CE ordered, can't wait for release!!

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
My main criticism would be that the game sometimes seemed to care more about cinematic presentation to the detriment of the player's experience. For example, there is a scene where you have to escape an explosion after beating a boss. It's intended to be an exhilarating climax, with fast pacing and soaring music. However, if you slip up at all during the sequence you are killed and have to start over. The effect undermines the goal of the scene, making the player feel frustrated instead of triumphant.
Actually I totally loved those sequences. It's those sequences that really set it apart from other titles. It's platforming bliss really, and getting it right is exhilarating!!

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ori is a Metroidvania? Never knew this. Now I'm interested. I always thought it was just another 2D platformer.

eltercero

Feb 3, 2018
Madrid
I beat the game yesterday and I felt the platforming is really the best thing in the game. There are a couple of frustrating moments (I think it's very easy to get killed, but maybe I just need to, you know, git gud), but I had a lot of fun overall. I'd recommend it if you like platforming games; if you are more into exploration and combat you may not enjoy it as much though.

By the way, the presentation is stunning, but sometimes I had a difficult time noticing spikes and other dangers. Maybe it's because I played on the Switch screen?

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It's a bad Metroidvania, especially in the original release where you were barred from returning to some areas after completing them. It's much better appreciated as a pure platformer with some mild exploration elements like Celeste. I think the game peaks with the tree escape sequence and never really manages to match that moment again though.

I have high hopes for Will of the Wisps, it seems like the developers are making a lot of smart gameplay changes from what we've seen so far.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sad to say that I agree with you OP. The gameplay is unfortunately weak. Some of the level design is shaky at best, and the combat ranges from dull to plain awful. The gameplay is like a 4 while the audio visual package and story are like a 9. Hoping the sequel really steps it up!

Last edited: