• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Shinkawa is best known as the lead character and mecha designer for the Metal Gear and Zone of the Enders franchises. I believe he is the greatest artist in gaming history and his lastet work in style of Metal Gear arts for the Critically Acclaimed game, Death Stranding, is some kind of proof for that claim!

I think shinkawa is one of the biggest reasons of Hideo Kojima's reputation!

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Up there for certain but Amano is a contender as well. The artist for the 2D Mario, Yoichi Kotabe, is ace too.

super_mario_30th_anniversary_collage_by_imaginatorvictor-d99j4zk.jpg

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
His art is very beautiful, but it's also very "samey", so I wouldn't call him THE greatest.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved that art growing up, looking at in magazines in preparation for MGS on PS1.

I do love the Mario Bros 3 / Super Mario World art though. Would that have been Miyamoto or someone else?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I like the style, but no, it's not the best IMO. Also I feel that the art was a really small part of DS's marketing compared to MGS. It's not even in the box art.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
he should have done the cover dammit!

Also i love shinkawa artstyle, but i wouldn't say the best, a lot of his faces are the same regardless of the franchise

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Amano, Shinkawa, and Shinkiro are the 3 I think of when it comes to distinctive art styles that I love.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
As far as artist goes maybe Amano takes the cake, but artstyle wise, yeah I'm definitely more of Yoji Shinkawa guy lol.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Kinu Nishimura, Bengus, Akiman, Shinkiro and Akihiko Yoshida tho

Yoji is definitely among the greatest though.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half the reason for Metal Gear's success if thanks to the designs and art direction of Yoji Shinkawa.

He just makes everything look so relentlessly cool.

One of my favourite pieces is this Raiden from Revengeance

How he manages to not include all the detail but still make everything look clear and easily identifiable makes it almost impossible to emulate him.

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shinkawa, Kojima (Igavania games other than Order of Ecclesia), and Amani (the fancy shmancy character art from the older Final Fantasy games as well as the current FF titlecards) are my favorites.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. His sleek mech designs and brilliantly realised characters are the best in the industry. There's a quality in his games that put them above all in terms of art direction.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Illustrator maybe, along with Amano but artist as, making the in-game graphics? Eh not so sure.

Pixel artists from the 16bit era (Amiga/MD/SFC/Arcade) are far far more impressive for me

OP
OP
RevengeTaken

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Half the reason for Metal Gear's success if thanks to the designs and art direction of Yoji Shinkawa.

He just makes everything look so relentlessly cool.

One of my favourite pieces is this Raiden from Revengeance

How he manages to not include all the detail but still make everything look clear and easily identifiable makes it almost impossible to emulate him.

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg
Yeah that's definitely one of my favourite shinkawa's pieces too. fan-fucking-tastic design!

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
He's got a cool style yeah, but it takes more than a character designer to create the world in a video game. You're doing a huge disservice to every other kind of artist in the field.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
When you consider that Kojima's games don't make sense anymore, it really makes Kojima look like a fraud. He's really leeching off his talented artist "collaborator" and then stamping his name on the final product.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
There's so many talented artists that I don't think I could list any as being the single greatest, but Shinkawa is up there for sure. Everything I've seen him put out is unbelievable.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Yasushi Suzuki (Sin & Punishment) is my personal favourite...But it's a disservice to single anyone out, there's hundreds of great artists in gaming. I agree with every choice in the thread, doesn't need to be a competition

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
He is quite style though but it gets very repetitive and not stand out in different games, when he worked on MGS then Left Alive and now Death Stranding, all characters looked as if they were from MGS.
Tbh, I think Masahiro Ito much more skilled and brings unique features to his thoughful creations. This artist didn't get as much spotlight as otehrs sadly.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
How about in-game art, art in motion? These are nice outside-of-game images, no question, but generally when experiencing a game I'm doing it at full speed inside its world.

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Shinkawa is best known as the lead character and mecha designer for the Metal Gear and Zone of the Enders franchises. I believe he is the greatest artist in gaming history and his lastet work in style of Metal Gear arts for the Critically Acclaimed game, Death Stranding, is some kind of proof for that claim!

I think shinkawa is one of the biggest reasons of Hideo Kojima's reputation!

Totally agree on his relevance for Kojima's mythos. Not so much on the overall importance, even though he's high on my fav list.

Also: why did the game cover and the mag one get switched?

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
A great artist for sure. Very tasteful work all around..

Not my favorite artist in gaming personally though. That would be Steve Purcell.