Advc

Nov 3, 2017
First movie of the first Disney renaissance: Little Mermaid
First movie of the new Disney renaissance: Meet the Robinsons..............

??????

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I have been a big fan of their recent releases.

This being one of my recent favorites.

51vQj04nzgL._SX342_.jpg

Kinthey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disagree. I'm not sure if the the CG ones will (or even can) reach the same cultural status as the 2D ones. I'd say it's just harder to really stand out in todays market.

Aaron

Dreamcast Political Party
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I have been a big fan of their recent releases.

This being one of my recent favorites.

51vQj04nzgL._SX342_.jpg
Paperman was so fucking good, probably the best thing they've released in 20 years or more.

giphy.gif

I know Clements and Musker said Moana was their last movie, but damn, what I wouldn't give for them to take one more crack at it with this art style/technology.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
gotta disagree

Zootopia and Wreck it Ralph are good, but lion king and Aladdin are god tier

hell, beauty and the beast got nominated for BEST PICTURE at the oscars

and Pocahontas is a classic

u8hzrf2ihus01.gif

Aaron

Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's a good cleanser after the also brilliant "Little Match Girl" :-((((((
Fun fact, when I saw Wreck-It Ralph I missed Paperman because the box office person gave us the wrong tickets. We went to the midnight showing, and they rang us up for the 12:15pm showing the next day. We ended up waiting outside Cloud Atlas for fifteen minutes before we realized the mistake.

I was also very sick (stomach flu or food poisoning) and had to duck out of the movie for a good 30-40 minutes, so I had reason to see it again anyway. Paperman was such a damn treat and I'm glad I got to experience it on the big screen in the end, I liked it more than the main movie (which was still good!).

gotta disagree

B&TB is the closest thing they've done to a perfect movie. Save for some shoddy animation here and there it's flawless.

There are parts of Aladdin, TLK, Hunchback and Tarzan that have that same spark, but I don't think they're nearly as consistent.

I wouldn't call Pocahontas a classic, but it has great animation and music. The weakest of the Disney renaissance period imo.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't call Pocahontas a classic, but it has great animation and music. The weakest of the Disney renaissance period imo.

you're probably right lol, i think i was just going by my childhood nostalgia

i haven't seen it in forever but still really like the music from it

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The last 4 films on your list are pretty good but not one of them comes close to the best of the earlier stuff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I like Tangled a lot and think Moana and Zootopia are fine, but beyond that there isn't much in the "new Disney canon" that stuck with me the way stuff from Lion King, Aladdin and even Hunchback of Notre Dame did.

The lack of Alan Menken is not helping things, I'm sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's easy. Stuff like in Aladdin for example where there's rarely more than 3 characters moving in one shot. Static backgrounds and camera work. Things that limited due to workforce, budget, time, technology, etc. Stuff that they have addressed in time.

Then again I'm not sure what you're talking about though. When I wrote quality of the animation, I meant animation, not the quality of the IP.

I'm ALSO talking from a quality of animation perspective. Frozen suffers from the same limitations you just named of Aladdin. All of the early Disney Studios CG films do, they had an obviously limited technology base, and its very obvious when you compare them to Pixar films coming out at the same time.

The difference is that some of those limitations in Aladdin are limitations of the medium. You can't criticize static backgrounds in hand drawn animation. They're all going to be static because you can't reasonably paint a bunch of moving backgrounds. The moving backgrounds that hand drawn films do have are generally just pans and zooms of a single painted piece. This limitation wasn't really overcome until Tarzan, and that was through CG use.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like Tangled a lot and think Moana and Zootopia are fine, but beyond that there isn't much in the "new Disney canon" that stuck with me the way stuff from Lion King, Aladdin and even Hunchback of Notre Dame did.
The lack of Alan Menken is not helping things, I'm sure.
Love it or hate it, Frozen was a mega-hit that still generates them a ton of revenue. (Personally, I REALLY enjoyed it).

Wreck-It Ralph was enjoyable as well, for me, even if it was a tad too heavy on the candy themes in the second half.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Love it or hate it, Frozen was a mega-hit that still generates them a ton of revenue. (Personally, I REALLY enjoyed it).

Wreck-It Ralph was enjoyable as well, for me, even if it was a tad too heavy on the candy themes in the second half.

Ralph was a cute movie but I honestly can't say I remember much of anything about it. And Frozen just pales in comparison to Tangled in terms of being a coherent story and having likeable characters. It always saddens me when people love Frozen but don't like Tangled.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
The new generation of disney movies are altogether more consistent at being enjoyable and well received, but at the same time it's incredibly difficult to say if any of them have even somewhat reached the heights of old disney animation, even if they avoid the critical lows.
As much as I like Zootopia, Big Hero 6, Wreck-it-Ralph, and others from the current "Renaissance" of Disney movies, there's a distinct energy these newer movies seem to lack that just doesn't have the same staying power for me personally as the older ones do.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ALSO talking from a quality of animation perspective. Frozen suffers from the same limitations you just named of Aladdin. All of the early Disney Studios CG films do, they had an obviously limited technology base, and its very obvious when you compare them to Pixar films coming out at the same time.

The difference is that some of those limitations in Aladdin are limitations of the medium. You can't criticize static backgrounds in hand drawn animation. They're all going to be static because you can't reasonably paint a bunch of moving backgrounds. The moving backgrounds that hand drawn films do have are generally just pans and zooms of a single painted piece. This limitation wasn't really overcome until Tarzan, and that was through CG use.
....arent you basically agreeing with me?

Again, stating the limitations in Aladdin isnt at all bashing the movie. It's pointing out (like you did with Tarzan) that things have advanced enough for the animation to rise considerably. Also of course I can criticise Aladdin's static backgrounds and crowds because we are comparing overall animation quality. The change in using CG instead of 2D has helped in this. Compare the complexity of Tangled's festival scene and Aladdin's Prince Ali scene.

I dont think it's unfair to compare the strengths and weaknesses of 2D and CG. In the end both end up with the same output; an animated feature film.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Again, stating the limitations in Aladdin isnt at all bashing the movie. It's pointing out (like you did with Tarzan) that things have advanced enough for the animation to rise considerably. Also of course I can criticise Aladdin's static backgrounds and crowds because we are comparing overall animation quality. The change in using CG instead of 2D has helped in this. Compare the complexity of Tangled's festival scene and Aladdin's Prince Ali scene.

I dont think it's unfair to compare the strengths and weaknesses of 2D and CG. In the end both end up with the same output; an animated feature film.
Really, CG has been what they were utilizing for complex backgrounds since as early as the Great Mouse Detective back in 1986.

ebn7ues.gif

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I have to strongly disagree.

Little Mermaid
Aladdin
Lion King
Beauty and the Beast
Hercules
Mulan
Rescuers

All top pretty much any modern age Disney movie.

Out of the list of the modern ones, Wreck it Ralph, Moana, and Big Hero are the ones I liked the most, I hated Zootopia, it was just so ham fisted and heavy in its message, and Frozen was ok.

Then there's the major difference being the animation, cgi vs hand-drawn 2d animation, which for me personally, will always just be better and hold a special place in my heart over modern CGI.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up with the Disney Renaissance. The Little Mermaid was the first movie I ever saw in theaters. Almost every year of my childhood included a trip to the theater to see a new Disney animated movie. I nearly wore our VHS copy of Aladdin out, annoying my sister in the process. That period is a huge reason why my dream job is being a part of the Disney Animation story team.

That being said, this current period is amazing. Tangled and Moana are incredible, and every bit as good as the best from the 90s. Wreck-It Ralph is great, and Zootopia and Big Hero Six are both very good. Winnie the Pooh is delightful as well.

P.S. I'm still in mourning over Gigantic. We were supposed to be getting a brand new Disney fairy tale musical next month, dammit! *sobs*

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I think Frozen is a super overrated movie. It's good, but I don't think it's worthy of all of the acclaim it has.

Tangled and Moana are much better movies.

If we count Pixar, then Toy Story 3 and Finding Nemo are the best movies Disney's made this millennium.

Oct 25, 2017

The problem here is you're equating animation quality to animation technology. Being able to do a sweeping camera shot isn't a question of animation quality, its a question of technology. There isn't ever going to be much that tops Disney's hand drawn stuff from the 90s in terms of hand drawn quality. The images don't get a whole lot better, nor does the technique used. There were already CG things that topped Frozen and Tangled when they came out. Stand out CG animation is much harder to come by than stand out hand drawn, and will inevitably become more and more dated as time goes by.

One day CG will be able to generate Colors of the Wind whenever they want to, without much effort. But it will never actually top Colors of the Wind because there would be no actual achievement in doing it.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say that this current era of Disney has reached the highs of the first few Walt films or the Renaissance, but Moana and Zootopia are top ten Disney in my book. Hell, I think Moana is Clements and Musker's best film (even better than Little Mermaid and Aladdin).

u8hzrf2ihus01.gif

I watched it for the first time since VHS the other so that I could

ScrawnyElegantAmurminnow-size_restricted.gif

Eh, it's fine.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
gotta disagree

u8hzrf2ihus01.gif

Pocahontas is beautiful artistically, but man, that whole movie is a mess, plot-wise. Moana is basically the exact same movie in a lot of ways but executed better.

Aaron

Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Pocahontas is beautiful artistically, but man, that whole movie is a mess, plot-wise. Moana is basically the exact same movie in a lot of ways but executed better.
Love Lindsay's comparison point of the climaxes in both movies when the heroine confides in her grandma her insecurities.

Pocahontas - Grandmother Willow urges her to swoop in and save the day. It's made out to be Pocahontas' responsibility to stop the fighting and save John Smith.

Moana - Grandmother tells her it was unfair to put the burden of saving the island on her shoulders alone, and if she decided to give up and go home, no one would be mad at her. It ends up being Moana's decision to jump back in and confront Te Ka.

Pocahontas is a mess of a film, its the worse then Hercules.

Funny that the heads up at Disney thought Pocahontas would be the hit and get them the Oscar while they didn't think much of a little film known as The Lion King.
Pocahontas is clear Oscarbait, so much of the film makes sense when you watch it under these circumstances, there's so many obnoxious tropes shoved in there to make it feel more artsy and grown-up.

I wish they'd stuck to their original version of keeping Pocahontas a little girl and having her learn English naturally over the course of the film (all the Native scenes were originally going to be spoken in Powhatan). You know, so it'd actually be somewhat historically accurate.

Damn if that final track doesn't get me though.

Oct 27, 2017
I have to strongly disagree. I think Frozen is the only new one that will have any cultural endurance years down the line on the same level as the greats

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what your list would be for both eras.

Well...okay.

The Lion King
Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast
The Little Mermaid
-big fucking gap-
Hercules
Tarzan
Mulan
Hunchback
Pocahontas
Haven't watched The Rescuers Down Under since my childhood.

-

The Emperor's New Groove
Atlantis
Treasure Planet
Lilo and Stitch
Brother Bear
Fantasia 2000
Dinosaur
Home on the Range
Haven't watched Chicken Little.

-

Tangled
Wreck-it-Ralph
Zootopia
Bolt (I haven't seen this since it came out)
Frozen
Moana
Big Hero 6
Winnie the Pooh
The Princess and the Frog
Haven't watched the Meet the Robinsons

If I look at it objectively I'd say the average quality is higher than before (Frog might be at the bottom but it's a fine film), but the current era hasn't reached the highs of the renaissance and probably never will frankly.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm unsure if they have as much "teeth" to them. Unsure if they'll hold out and become a timeless entity similar to the likes of Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, etc.

That said, I have watched some of these newer ones multiple times. Current 3d animation is excellent but in a couple years will it still be good? I always think of how shitty Star Wars Ep. 1 and 2 CGI scenes look nowadays.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm unsure if they have as much "teeth" to them. Unsure if they'll hold out and become a timeless entity similar to the likes of Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, etc.

That said, I have watched some of these newer ones multiple times. Current 3d animation is excellent but in a couple years will it still be good? I always think of how shitty Star Wars Ep. 1 and 2 CGI scenes look nowadays.

I think we're nearly at the point where the "style" of a film is going to remain ageless, even as technology changes. Attack of the Clones was 2002, about a year after Monsters Inc and a year before Finding Nemo. Those films still look "great" even if the technology behind them is nearly two decades old now.

Even Disney animation for "classics" weren't always on the same level of budget or time or skill. Something like Sleeping Beauty was SUPER expensive and lush for its time...
enhanced-buzz-wide-4030-1459447109-14.jpg

... So much so that Disney couldn't afford to do it again for YEARS. Their next few movies scaled their budgets and animation techniques WAY down, cut out frames, resorted to sketchier animation, and they still "worked" because they employed it as a style that benefited the movie and characters.
large.jpg

I think older 3D Disney films are sort of the same way. The good movies remain good, while the shiniest, flashiest CG movie with a bad story and characters will be forgotten.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
I throughly enjoyed BH6, Frozen, Zootopia, and Moana.

They just don't resonate the same way as the golden era though . It's not even close if we compare both eras highest highs.

Oct 25, 2017
The actual top ten Disney movies:
  1. Fantasia
  2. Beauty and the Beast
  3. Pinocchio
  4. The Lion King
  5. Sleeping Beauty
  6. Lilo & Stitch
  7. Moana
  8. Zootopia
  9. The Jungle Book
  10. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
fite me

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Agreed. I've never actually cared for Disney for some reason, but I just love the new Disney/Pixar stuff.