Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Because there's very little incentive for publications to publish separate reviews by platform. They just do one review per game, and list the platforms played on. Consumers will then check aggregate scores and assume the score is representative of the game on all platforms (usually it is). CDPR deliberately refused to allow all the main publications to play on anything other than high end PCs, knowing full well that would artificially inflate the scores and trick current gen console gamers into a purchase they might otherwise have avoided.

I would also go a step further and suggest they handed out review code so late because that way reviewers would focus hard on the main story (Cyberpunk's biggest strength) and pay less attention to side content (average in quality) and free form open world gameplay (flat out broken or missing altogether) to get their reviews out in time for day one coverage (the most important day for the review score average). Even on an RTX 3080 PC this is absolutely not a 9/10 game overall, as solid as the main story is.
Yeah. It seems obvious that's what happened. They clearly gave the review codes late, forcing the reviewers to rush through the main quest, which is pretty much the game's only good thing. That or 10/10s were outright bought.

We think they only gave out PC copies to publications with RTX 3000+ GPUs.
What the fuck?! This company deserves to go the way of tell-tale at this point...the fact that they did so much to hide how crappy thier game ran is absolutely horrible & it deserves hella scorned! Ubisoft may have downgrade thier games, but they never hid it like this! Not even Bethesda did this! This next fucking level! & these fuck heads are supposed friends of gamers? My ass!

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
The main question I've had during this whole fiasco is why all these big review sites just went along with the scummy "we're intentially sending you only the 'good' version of the game to review" bullshit. Would it really have been detrimental to IGN for example to wait like 3 more days to put out their review after they tested the versions most people will be playing?

So, a few things.

Getting code for a single platform is somewhat common these days. For example, if there's a co-marketing deal, that's going to be the one that reviewers will generally get code for. Assassin's Creed Origins is a good example; it had a deal with Microsoft, so that's the version Ubisoft tended to give out. Likewise, it's not abnormal to be told, "We have code for Xbox One and PS4 now, but PC and Switch code is coming later in the week", where that later is much closer to embargo. A recent example in that case is Watch Dogs Legion, which IIRC had the next-gen console code come out much closer to embargo. This is depressingly normal.

CDPR in this case also handled some review code separate from its normal PR team, who is usually quite above board. Some publications got PC code early, while others were right before or at launch.

Furthermore, outside of some of the major outlets, you're generally not seeing reviewers that can test on everything under the sun. (That's why outlets like Digital Foundry are key.) For example, I have all the platforms readily at hand, but many reviewers are piecemeal, since they have to buy the consoles or platforms with their own money. You might have one employee with a gaming PC, Xbox Series S, and Switch, while another has a PS4 Pro and Switch. If the latter is the one that normally reviews RPGs, you're constrained. Ran into that a few times, or vice versa, were you're only given code for a platform your regular reviewer doesn't have, so you have to go with an alternate reviewer. This is less of problem pre-pandemic for the larger outlets—because the outlet itself has all the platforms—but right now, everyone is working from home, so you're stuck with the systems the reviewer in question has.

In addition to that, while some outlets can depend on multiple codes, many only get one. If given a choice, you have to pick which version you want. If you're only given a single code for say, Skyrim, and you have a Xbox 360, that's the version you'd choose, but this means you'd absolutely miss out on that memory bug that affects PS3 owners. A site like IGN might have the time and manpower to test multiple versions of a game; a smaller site can maybe do one within embargo, and assuming they get a second code for another platform, can potentially jump on a second version for a brief playthrough just to see if it holds up.

That's a lot of words to say: being told only X platform will have code available ahead of embargo is not uncommon occurrence, especially for a PC-centric developer. What tripped more red flags was the inability to use your own footage for the review. Beyond that, reviewers review what's in front of them.

And all that is before the shitstorm given to one of the people who gave it a 7/10. As I said in an older tweet.

Also, Matt hits on some salient points in his op-ed.

They did it knowing that many publications generally can't re-review games. It's not part of their business model. The second review creates confusion with their audience in addition to dampening SEO and Google keyword rankings. Second reviews won't rank high on news aggregators, such as Google News or Apple News, because it's a topic that's been covered by them before. Second reviews also typically come after a game's launch, when many consumers have already decided whether or not to buy a game, and thus don't attract the same readership. Finally, Metacritic generally does not accept edited or updated review scores.

They did it knowing that most online communities don't discuss the platforms behind the review. Most games, especially AAA games, usually don't have significant disparities in the experience between same-gen hardware. Consumers have come to expect that most games will be fairly reviewed across all platforms, and in our experience, most publishers respect that expectation. Most of the review roundups published by individual publications make no reference to the platform reviewed. Extremely large publications, like IGN or GameSpot, are typically afforded the chance to review all platforms and call out any major differences between them. It's a small, though typically inconsequential blind-spot in how publications connect with gamers.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Apologies if this is here already, I searched but couldn't find it.

It's a short piece by one of OpenCritic's co-founders that I found it interesting for their take on CDPRs approach to review copies around the game. I can certainly see where he's coming from and it's pretty scummy if this is why they did what they did.

Source Article

What gamers didn't know is that, behind the scenes, CD PROJEKT RED appears to have been deliberately attempting to misrepresent its product.

The incentive was there. Up until last Friday, the developers believed that their bonuses were contingent upon hitting 90 or higher on Metacritic, according to a report from Bloomberg. As a result, the individual developers and publishers had ample incentive to distribute review codes in a way that maximized their aggregate scores and secured their bonus.

They did it knowing that, to this day, it is still challenging for consumers to return a video game. Physical retailers generally require that games be unopened in order to be returned. Digital retailers have tight controls on their return polices, with many (notably, consoles) not offering returns at all.

For the past five years, the single-score approach has worked well. Many gamers appreciate having all the reviews in one place, especially given that most games provide the same player experience regardless of platform.

But today, we believe that the single-score approach has failed our users in regards to Cyberpunk 2077. As a result, we have published a new warning on the Cyberpunk 2077 page:

Please note: This game has significant disparities in performance, player experience, and review scores between the PC, next-gen consoles, Xbox One, and PS4 versions.
The OpenCritic team and several critics suspect that the developer, CD PROJEKT RED, intentionally sought to hide the true state of the game on Xbox One and PS4, with requirements such as only allowing pre-rendered game footage in reviews and not issuing review copies for PS4 and Xbox One versions.
This notice will be taken down in February 2021.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
honestly care infinitely less about them being ~insufficiently pro-consumer~ compared to their grinding their workers into a pulp, shitting on the trans community, etc. but cool, i guess.

it does call somewhat into question opencritic's approach of aggregating all reviews across different platforms into a single score rather than allowing individual scores for different platforms

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm glad they're pushing this further and other outlets should too.
opencritic.com

They Knew It Was Wrong. CD Projekt Red Deceived Consumers Anyway.

CD Projekt Red sought to mislead consumers and secure their bonuses when distributing review copies.

Disgusting behaviour to deceive consumers and ensure sales before putting out a laughable apology. If not already with everything else, this should stain their reputation evermore.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah...this is also on the shoulders of reviewers. There should have been a lot more due diligence prior to releasing a review based on a single platform.

This is one heck of a study case for how the publisher withheld information, how reviewers didn't care and how that negligence mislead consumers.

This is the worst of the worst. It must not happen again.

YUP, reviewers/outlets had plenty of red flags and awareness but decided to post anyways. This is as much on them as well........

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
a reason for that was that skyrim on ps3 was more playable when it first released, it got worse after every patch

It was tied to save file size wast it? As soon as you hit over 40MB problems or something it started and got worse the longer you played. Because of some memory leak or some such that was present in the engine in all their games on ps3 that gen. The shared RAM pool on 360 somehow got past it. Crazy how little press it got

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Should've just canned the last-gen versions and focused on PS5 & XS S/X instead. An established player base is worthless if your game performs/looks like shit on it.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Good thing I decided to just sit this one out before launch and wait for next gen.
Yeah I decided this like two years ago. It was a no-brainer that PS4 + Xbox One were going to be too weak for an ambitious project like this and that a proper next generation version would eventually be released.

And of course Cyberpunk has tons of serious bugs right now after release. Look at the scope of this game and all the platforms it supports. In 1-1,5 years the game will have received so many updates, fixes and enhancements that it will be a vastly superior experience and that's when I will dive in.

Look at The Witcher 3 and all the free updates it received like 2 years after release. At some point they even updated the rendering (?) engine so the graphics got better. It will even get updated further with the upcoming next gen version.

I can see why people are angry or disappointed about the state of old generation versions of Cyberpunk, but surprised I am not, because this was completely predictable.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also sad to see streamers that I tune in on a regular basis sweeping the issue under the rug.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
t65dP2L.jpg

www.ign.com

Cyberpunk 2077 for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Review - IGN

Please don't play Cyberpunk 2077 on a base Xbox One or PS4. It is a shockingly bad way to experience what is a fantastic RPG on better hardware.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
It was tied to save file size wast it? As soon as you hit over 40MB problems or something it started and got worse the longer you played. Because of some memory leak or some such that was present in the engine in all their games on ps3 that gen. The shared RAM pool on 360 somehow got past it. Crazy how little press it got
it was the save file size as well, but i do remember the performance being worse after patches compared to day 1, since i got the game at launch of ps3, and put a lot of time into it, but after a point in time, i just couldnt keep playing, even starting a new game, the performance was so bad i couldnt play

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
a reason for that was that skyrim on ps3 was more playable when it first released, it got worse after every patch
It got worse the further you played, it wasn't so much attached to patches at least in my experience.
The game became unplayable around 60 hours for me. Took quite a few patches before it got over that.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Looks like that discount is coming sooner rather than later with that 4/10 review.

I'm sure it'll keep bombing bringing that meta score further down.

GOOD!

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I've seen people defending the console versions on twitter saying its overblown lol. I'm lucky enough to have it on a decent pc but yeah it's shitty that these versions even got out

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what business decisions went into releasing the console versions as-is. This was a very bad move. Surely someone recognized it was a bad move.

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
In fairness, No Man's Sky didn't release in bad shape. It ran fine from what I recall—it was just missing a lot of the features people were hoping or expected would be there.

It's not unusual for adding new systems (which is what No Man's Sky did) to be more intensive than bug fixing patches. Which makes Hello Games achievement even more impressive.

I suspect Cyberpunk will be better optimised and less bug ridden in due course. Addressing issues like the primitive emergent AI system is a more arduous task.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Good idea to put up a warning. They've been shady on purpose by hiding the PS4 and Xbox One version while they run horribly. It was the game hyping me and motivating me to build a new PC. Got all the parts but the 3080 and now I feel I can wait lol. Good way to burn all the praise and sympathy you had with the Witcher series.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Im loving the game on PS5, but this is definitely a more honest and open representation of the big picture with this game. Im really baffled at how fucking low CDPR stooped to protect their asses long enough to cash in on preorders and Day 1 purchases. Its definitely going to take a long time to fix their goodwill with the community (for multiple reasons of course).

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
In fairness, No Man's Sky didn't release in bad shape. It ran fine from what I recall—it was just missing a lot of the features people were hoping or expected would be there.
No Man's Sky was super-crashy at launch. Probably >50% of all the crashes I have had on my PS4 from launch day until today have been No Man's Sky crashes from the first week or so after it launched.

Other than that though, yeah, I agree its performance wasn't really a big problem - but definitely the crashes were a huge issue.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Is the PC version even considered to one the top 3 looking games even?
The game is super buggy but purely in terms of visuals (considering art+tech), it easily is in race for the crown. But in terms of tech alone, it's a clear winner by a long shot even if there are some rather weird choices in the pipeline for Ray Tracing.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
it does call somewhat into question opencritic's approach of aggregating all reviews across different platforms into a single score rather than allowing individual scores for different platforms

I think it sorta vindicates their approach, as on Metacritic there aren't even enough scores available for the PS4 for it to gain a metascore. So, the defacto score is the PC score, and the few scores actually criticizing the console ports are buried in a meaningless category.

*edit*
Ah, it looks like they scraped the amount of reviews needed to assemble a metascore today.

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There really needs to be some early retirements from CDPR senior leadership after this. All the issues this game has are 100% the responsibility of management. Just a colossal fuck up. If this were a US company there would be at least one head rolling.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Very true. However I recall (and maybe I"m not remembering correctly) that the reports at how bad the PS3 version could get were really heating up right around the time that pubs started handing out their GOTY awards and it felt like games journalists just kind of collectively shrugged and said "who cares about PS3? I played it on my 360 and had a blast".

It's not unusual for adding new systems (which is what No Man's Sky did) to be more intensive than bug fixing patches. Which makes Hello Games achievement even more impressive.

I suspect Cyberpunk will be better optimised and less bug ridden in due course. Addressing issues like the primitive emergent AI system is a more arduous task.

I expect there will be an "Enhanced Edition" with massive improvements in 2022 with changes well beyond the scope of traditional patching. And it will be only on next-gen and PC of course.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
Very true. However I recall (and maybe I"m not remembering correctly) that the reports at how bad the PS3 version could get were really heating up right around the time that pubs started handing out their GOTY awards and it felt like games journalists just kind of collectively shrugged and said "who cares about PS3? I played it on my 360 and had a blast".
i think by 2011 , it was pretty much accepted that third party games were noticeably worse on ps3, like black ops 1 on ps3 was very broken as well

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Because it was released in such bad shape? Let's look at No Man Sky. Who won best ongoing game.
How about giving us a AAA example instead? lol
What Hello Games pulled with NMS is a rare sight. You rarely see a non-GAAS do what they managed to do.
Bioware managed to fix most of Andromeda issues and its still remembered in infamy even though its a perfectly average game as of now.