Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing can make you think the second one will be a success, no matter what is the size of your studio.
It is not about beak even, it is about having a garantee that you will be able to repay your loan or your mortgage. It is an enormous amount of stress for a lot of indies.

I want to know this: How many of the devs that made a deal with Epic were actually in danger of losing their house or paying their loan?

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But this is how it works (1st gen of a 15 years is not great, for sure, but 2 gen, yes).
There are reasons it took a big amount of time for Steam to be in the state they are now.
This is also why the launch version of Stadia will be full of limitations and won't be the stadia they showed (and hoped it will be).
Teething problems are always expected when you build new software based products, but that doesn't mean customers have to deal with it when there are vastly superior products on the market. By forcing people onto their subpar store epic are just generating bad word of mouth and customer resentment.

Stadia will be limited in its launch, but if it does offer good services not found on other platforms even in its state youll find that people will start using it and as it grows so will its user base.A great start example of this is Monzo which started off relatively small but because it addressed a gap in the market and was reallly good, it gradually grew.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Comparisons of the platform to Steam in 2003 is a little ludicrous when web and software application development is a hell of a lot different in 2019.

i.e. shopping carts can generally be made in a few weeks by one-two people.

Deleted member 30526

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The discord for this game is fascinating. The dev fluctuates between saying they should've taken the tone of the piece into consideration, and calling people who complain GamerGators, while liking every post calling them children. It's like watching someone throw gas onto a fire than acting confused when it gets bigger.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would that matter? It should be fine if they just want to get a payday now. They shouldnt get to complain about some people not buying the game then though

That's not what I meant, ppl are literally painting Epic like if they were Jesus going to poor devs homes that do not have money for eat and giving them money, when most of the deals they made were for already successful devs or successful KS.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't care about the exclusivity but the blog and discord posts ensures this game and dev gets ignored in future.
Yeah, I don't know why they had to go in like that. They even contradict themselves, first talking about how they didn't make this decision lightly and then belittle any concerns regarding the EGS.
Really should have stopped after explaining that it financially makes the most sense for them to take the deal

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I meant, ppl are literally painting Epic like if they were Jesus going to poor devs homes that do not have money for eat and giving them money, when most of the deals they made were for already successful devs or successful KS.

Technically speaking, prior success does not equal future success, and a single failure could wipe out the profits of all prior successes singlehandedly.

It makes sense for Epic to target already successful devs since they've proven themselves to be able to deliver an end-product, as well as the best chance of Epic recouping their investment.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The breaking even line makes perfect sense to me. Before this whole ordeal, I would reckon that not a lot of people knew about Ooblets - let alone wanted to play it.

Well now they're breaking even with the game and it's more out there in the public eye.
Yep.....no such thing as negative game press, isnt that right Phill Fish?......The developer is in the public eye, not the game.Whether that becomes advantageous or detrimental has yet to be seen.

Well thats certainly gonna help with sales now isnt it.But as they said thats not important anymore.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
I mean knowing that Epic's handout is essentially a break even amount it's like, okay, so they don't need support then right?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I mean knowing that Epic's handout is essentially a break even amount it's like, okay, so they don't need support then right?
If anything, I think buying the game on Steam would support the dev even more since at that point you're guaranteed that your sale isn't going to be included in the minimum guaranteed by the EGS deal.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
. You are the one that brought up the argument of good man Epic going around and giving starving devs money, not I.
We talking indie devs? Probably a fair number especially for smaller games, but consumers aren't really entitled to that info regardless

I don't care, but someone made the argument, not I. I wanted to know if it was a simple assumption or some devs stated that Epic deal indeed save them from losing their house or allow them giving their family food.

Most deals like Piranha Bites and others, talk about giving them a stable feet to stay afloat, not literally saving them from poverty. And comes from well stablished devs with past successes.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they cancel Ooblets and leave the industry then I think that's an adequate comparison 😛
Well since Epic are footing the bill then thats not gonna happen but the point of bringing Phill Fish up was to illustrate the adage that sometimes "bad press is just...bad press". Notoriety does not translate into sales popularity for future projects, especially if your combative with said potential customers.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Part of the EGS indie exclusivity deal should be access to a PR firm to help create announcements and deal with potential backlash. This is embarrassing and harmful stuff for their company.

The Steam was bad 15 years ago argument is really awful, it just means that other clients have the opportunity to piggyback on the things Steam has done well. Products aren't developed inside of a bubble, this is how human progress works.

Steam obviously is not a monopoly and they haven't taken any action against EGS to indicate that they want to be a monopoly so Schreier disappoints again. And as much as I support indie developers taking the EGS deal if they are risk averse I don't view game developers as sacred and I won't support a company damaging a market just so they can feel better. Going into a business like this is inherently risky and Epic isn't throwing money around for the purpose of creating stability, they want market share. It won't last forever.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
My extremely selfish motivation for wanting things on steam is that I'm one of the few people who use a hardware setup that works best with native steam games. I used to primarily use a steam link, but now my rig is updated to be able to run games in 4k, and I'm using a method that really only Steam's big-picture mode has the ability to make work. Epic's store has absolutely none of this functionality and, while I can add non-steam games to work in big picture, it's pretty hit or miss whether controls will work properly that way. It's probably a pretty niche issue but I very much prefer games native to steam.

Can't begrudge any devs who take the deal but I'm still not a big fan of forced exclusivity like this.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know this: How many of the devs that made a deal with Epic were actually in danger of losing their house or paying their loan?

Most devs I know don't even have a mortgage to begin with. Losing a house is a much higher level than we are dealing with, more other things are down in the "it would be nice to have health insurance someday" end of the spectrum.

The reason why so many people are taking Epic's deal (even if they know they will get backlash) is because it represents a huge upgrade in the way that they can live and work.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
They just blame people not liking the store instead of their messaging and the tone. Or just call everyone angry gamers. Or say people who don't like the Epic store shouldn't like their game.

Somehow devs and the press decided to label everyone who doesn't like a store buying third party games angry gamers and that was that.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Oct 27, 2017
The Steam was bad 15 years ago argument is really awful, it just means that other clients have the opportunity to piggyback on the things Steam has done well. Products aren't developed inside of a bubble, this is how human progress works.
It was really bad when it was first rolled out, to the point where people wanted to stick to the WON network for leagues (at least in the TFC community) until we were all forced to the new platform.

What is the argument? Is it in defense of the EGS platform being "terrible"?

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Why would it be? I believe I've seen it before.
(and I mean it: Why would it not be okay?)
Not saying it's okay or not, I just saw that argument come up with regards to other subreddits where parts of the dev team were moderators. I honestly didn't know if that was against the ToS hence me asking.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why would it be? I believe I've seen it before.
(and I mean it: Why would it not be okay?)
It's all too easy for them to abuse their power and censor all criticism.

It was really bad when it was first rolled out, to the point where people wanted to stick to the WON network for leagues (at least in the TFC community) until we were all forced to the new platform.

Because, and I know people freaking out about Fast & the Furious and that movie with the live-action cats can confuse you on this - it's not 2003.

What matters is that the EGS sucks in 2019, not 2003.

May 26, 2018
We need to post those discord caps again to get people back into the context of the debate. Think new waves of people are coming in just thinking this is another stock EGS argument.

Oct 26, 2017
46 pages? !

Did anything special happen? I could swear the last two EGS exclusives announcements only reached 15 pages or so?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It's all too easy for them to abuse their power and censor all criticism.
I meant why it wouldn't be okay from a TOS standpoint, like, I get why it's problematic, but I didn't thought Reddit would care

Not saying it's okay or not, I just saw that argument come up with regards to other subreddits where parts of the dev team were moderators. I honestly didn't know if that was against the ToS hence me asking.
Ah, I see. Hm.

46 pages? !

Did anything special happen? I could swear the last two EGS exclusives announcements only reached 15 pages or so?
They started out with an overly defensive and condescending blog post and then kinda kept digging.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Epic is doing the typical monopoly move of buying product to stop it being sold elsewhere and the narrative is somehow that they are anti monopoly and are helping devs.

It's quite something.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason why so many people are taking Epic's deal (even if they know they will get backlash) is because it represents a huge upgrade in the way that they can live and work.

No small indie team is going to be hated on by reasonable people for taking an Epic deal. The devs in question simply trading exclusivity for immediate financial security is not why this thread is blowing up.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017

I remember when I bought HL2 and Steam was awful. That doesn't mean EGS has an excuse to retread that ground because they can use Steam's experience as a guideline for their own client and copy the features that work.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a great time with people who are very pro EGS investing in devs (a reasonable position that I think most considerate people share) trying to bend over backwards to defend this dev's absurdly terrible handling of this situation. So many people are reading that blog post and saying "I don't see the condescension" with a straight face.

Devs getting paid and being secure is great AND this dev was a total dick to people for no reason. Both are factually true.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
This fallout is all pretty sad, because the woman working on the game who showed it off to me long ago seemed like a really cool and passionate indie dev. I don't believe she's the one throwing fuel on the fire on discord, and the whole snarky attitude with how the company has defended the choice seems opposed to the overall nature of the game itself. Get some PR help stat.

Not sure why they thought I'd have an EGS account for Fortnite, I don't think the market for Battle Royale and Cutesy Life Sim games is a 1:1 overlap.

The tweets about this are ironic cause the main reason I don't use EGS is due to Epic's poor treatment of game workers in the past, not any consumer qualms. I'm certainly not a raving GGer.

Oct 26, 2017
The way the ooblets developer handled this situation is why this thread has so many pages.

I understand. I don't know why some people do that. It's much better to use a clean, short, neutral explanation, reassure refunds will be done if applicable, and the have radio silence for 2-3 weeks, only appearing again with good news (new trailer, content blog, etc).

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering why this thread was so large and I started catching up and
The devs seem to really like their fans:

Sem_Titulo.png

If someone cant see the image. Someone asks that they cant buy the game through EGS, since his country isnt supported yet and would have to pay USD.
Answer:

"No one owes you the game. Just wait."
Wow.

Even worse. Some Patreon supporter from Malaysia talking about his opinion:

tmHGd4m.png

Answer to that:

001a4kro.jpg

Here to show that it is meant for that and not just cut wrong:
Nooooo! Dig up. Dig up!