• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
More people are going to speculate which Pokemon are going to be taken away far more than they will be wondering what kind of new Pokemon are going to added. That just feels so depressing, honestly.

Welcome to the new world of Pokemon. It's going to be like this with every game now moving forward. Every new game will have its own exclusive lineup of Pokemon that differs from all the other games. Compatibility now changes with each new game. Games become gated communities with player bases that are separate from other games, resulting in a massively fractured player base. Players looking for a new game will have to look up compatibility to see if their preferred Pokemon will be able to work in the game.

It's fucking awful. I still can't believe they're doing this to the franchise.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to bring your old pokemon to new generations has been the fucking cornerstone design philosophy of pokemon for more than 10 years, for them to show an image that just shows arrows in a very similar manner to pokemon bank implying a system that we've grown accustomed to for a decade and then say "Well, technically they never said you could transfer all your pokemon so actually they're totally fine" is the biggest pile of shit I've ever heard.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You can transfer both directions with Sword and Shield. That is the entire purpose of the arrows going both ways. I don't even recall anyone saying anything about it meaning every pokemon could be transferred to Sword and Shield.
If some thing is going into Home, the implication that it can go from Home to Sword and Shield and back again is clear as day.

Like how are you seriously not getting this.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really say that I buy that they were being purposefully deceptive with that image when they easily could have not mentioned this until the very day Pokemon Home launched, you could argue they were being careless if you want but to be honest this entire gripe of it being a lie or not is pointless.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
There is no massive conspiracy. They lied at the conference. That's it.

Seriously, miss me with the don't like it don't buy it shit and quit with the weak ass damage control

Yeah im with you on pokemon Home

for a paid service and what its trying to sell it would have behooved them to be fucking clear

That said Game Freak and the massive Pokemon machine... I wonder how well they coordinate and communicate franchise direction and changes

Seems like a tight ship but its possible that they didnt know the full roster wouldnt be supported lol

Seems unlikely but since people are sniffing out dysfunction amongst their processes already i think its plausible

What a PR nightmare

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone would mind if they take their time and add the missing pokemon later. Unfortunately it seems highly likely they aren't going to do that.
What bugs me the most about this part is that say a sequel comes out a year later. I bet they're going to, instead of putting resources into a new feature or mode or chunk of story, they'll probably put it into new returning pokemon making the regional dex bigger. If we're taking everything they said at face fucking value, then every future sequel is going to get kneecapped because of one decision at the start of Gen 8.

Why patch it if they can sell it to us for $60 later?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They only told us this after four different Pokémon streams, at the tail end of a demo stream that most people would have not stayed to watch
Oh come the fuck on now.

Just let the idea of them being intentionally deceptive go, it's really pedantic at this point. Call em incompetent or careless all you want but this being some sort of hidden lie is a stretch.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Welcome to the new world of Pokemon. It's going to be like this with every game now moving forward. Every new game will have its own exclusive lineup of Pokemon that differs from all the other games. Compatibility now changes with each new game. Games become gated communities with player bases that are separate from other games, resulting in a massively fractured player base. Players looking for a new game will have to look up compatibility to see if their preferred Pokemon will be able to work in the game.

Ready for Pokemon to start "wasting slots"?

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Yes they did lie.

They only told us this after four different Pokémon streams, at the tail end of a demo stream that most people would have not stayed to watch

We didn't even know Home was a thing that existed until the week prior. Fans need to stop acting like these companies are obligated to reveal every aspect of a game while it's still in development.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
We didn't even know Home was a thing that existed until the week prior. Fans need to stop acting like these companies are obligated to reveal every aspect of a game while it's still in development.
This is kinda a big deal that makes Home utterly useless. If they had advertised it with "you can bring only certain pokemon to Sword and Shield" people wouldn't have cared about Home.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
This is kinda a big deal that makes Home utterly useless. If they had advertised it with "you can bring only certain pokemon to Sword and Shield" people wouldn't have cared about Home.

How does it make home useless? I don't need to own a 3DS now, I can see all of them from my phone, and I can trade over the internet from the phone app.

And it means our Let's Go pokemon aren't stuck forever in that game which was my biggest concern with it.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it matter that they cared for a couple of weeks, months before anyone could even think of paying for Home?

Like I don't this is okay but this is such a weird thing to get stuck on

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I care about pokemon Home as a hub for all my pokemon from past and future. Does this make me crazy?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
But everything that can go from Home to Sword and Shield CAN go back to Home.

What are you even talking about now.
Im talking about clarity of information. That isn't clear from the slide or from Masuda's comments at the cofnerence

Like look at the damn picture. Who is going to think the arrows going from Bank, Let's Go, and Go to Home and then to Sword/Shield means "umm no actually only very specific Pokémon can go to Sword and Shield" and not literally anything that is in Home.

They made a point to have everything except Sword and Shield be one way trips, why would anyone think that sending something to Home would trap it in Home until a new game allows it? Like how do you glean that information from that slide?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
How does it make home useless? I don't need to own a 3DS now, I can see all of them from my phone, and I can trade over the internet from the phone app.

And it means our Let's Go pokemon aren't stuck forever in that game which was my biggest concern with it.
Whats the use of a perfectly trained pokemon if it stays stuck on a mobile app?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can, the thing I don't understand is people are defending the decision. It's indefensible.

So? They have said that not all pokemon are able to carry over and right away that makes home pretty much useless

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Im talking about clarity of information. That isn't clear from the slide or from Masuda's comments at the cofnerence

Like look at the damn picture. Who is going to think the arrows going from Bank, Let's Go, and Go to Home and then to Sword/Shield means "umm no actually only very specific Pokémon can go to Sword and Shield" and not literally anything that is in Home.

They made a point to have everything except Sword and Shield be one way trips, why would anyone think that sending something to Home would trap it in Home until a new game allows it? Like how do you glean that information from that slide?

I mean...all of your pokemon in Let's Go were trapped until Home allows it. They wouldn't even officially confirm when Let's Go released that the pokemon would be transferable.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...all of your pokemon in Let's Go were trapped until Home allows it. They wouldn't even officially confirm when Let's Go released that the pokemon would be transferable.
there's a slight difference between "your Pokemon are in the game where you caught them, still perfectly usable" and "your Pokemon are in a box somewhere until we add compatibility and they can come out of the box"

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop making excuses for them. It is absolutely a lie of omission. It is blatant.
I can't get on board with the idea of that being deliberate and then having Masuda a couple of weeks later go out of his way to tell people. It isn't a deliberate lie, stop fucking continuing this dumb sidebar when there's actually a really bad deliberate decision to discuss.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
there's a slight difference between "your Pokemon are in the game where you caught them, still perfectly usable" and "your Pokemon are in a box somewhere until we add compatibility and they can come out of the box"

Then only move the pokemon you can put in Sword and Shield into Home if you want to keep using them on a 3DS?

I can't get on board with the idea of that being deliberate and then having Masuda a couple of weeks later go out of his way to tell people. It isn't a deliberate lie, stop fucking continuing this dumb sidebar when there's actually a really bad deliberate decision to discuss.

It wasn't even weeks later. It was like 6 days.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I care about pokemon Home as a hub for all my pokemon from past and future. Does this make me crazy?
Nah, makes sense to me.

It does suck for people who want to play with all their Pokemon in Sword and Shield, but for someone like me I'd be fine with just storing all my Pokemon in a central location, instead of transferring them between game every time.

I prefer using as many new Pokemon as possible in the new games, and the main reason I transfered pokemon between games was just so I wouldn't lose them and to keep the national dex as full as possible. If the national dex is just the Home app then I think I'd be OK with that until the next Switch Pokemon that DOES allow for all of them to be brought over.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Why does it matter that they cared for a couple of weeks, months before anyone could even think of paying for Home?

Like I don't this is okay but this is such a weird thing to get stuck on

I mostly agree, particularly because we don't know what features Home has beyond "you can put pokemon in it". Unless I missed something, they never even gave us a price for it.

I do think it's fine to say that there's basically nothing that justifies the existence of Home yet based on the information they've provided.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Here's how this plays out
SwSh sells fine
Game after that sells like a lead baloon, relatively speaking
Home doesn't meet expectations for subscriptions
Gen IX: EVERYONE IS HERE

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
What did you expect? Game Freak are incompetent developers.

We've kept giving them passes all in the name of having all the Pokémon.

"We chose quality" will become some famous last words.

Kinda like "Fortunately we have a product for that"

SwSh sells fine

Best case scenario for the fans, but I wouldn't bet on it

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
We knew something would be done about it, they mentioned in interviews that they were looking into ways to transfer them forward.

Yeah...you ASSUMED something would be done. In the same way that you ASSUMED orange and yellow arrows means "everything".

It sucks. This sucks. But we can still be rational adults about the situation.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
SwSh sells fine
This is the most likely scenario.
But I think the next game will sell well but they'll be severely disapointed with Home earnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.