• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheese toast

Oct 29, 2017
And there were 20 winners.

An unusual sequence of numbers drawn in South Africa's national lottery has sparked accusations of fraud after 20 people won a share of the jackpot.

Tuesday's PowerBall lottery saw the numbers five, six, seven, eight and nine drawn, while the PowerBall itself was, you have guessed it, 10.

The organisers say the sequence is often picked. But some have alleged a scam and an investigation is under way.
www.bbc.com

South Africa's lottery probed as 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 drawn and 20 win

Twenty ticketholders win in South Africa after the unusual sequence, sparking claims of fraud.

77JW.gif

Gozan

Oct 27, 2017
You'd have thunk fraudsters with the means to pull this off would have picked a less suspicious list of numbers

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that these "obvious" sequences are idiotic since you'll end up sharing any potential winnings with a lot of people.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, was I the only one who had no idea how to read the title properly? I was so confused until I clicked the thread.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
People don't understand statistics and probability of they think this is a scam.

You literally have the same odds of pulling any set of numbers in the lottery

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
2020 and people still don't understand Maths.

I will say this though, such a recognizable pattern usually puts people off using it and preferring to go for what seems a more random set (even if the odds are the same). So 20 people having those numbers does seem quite high. 2 or 3 yeah, but 20? That does raise an eyebrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.