• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
f8pe1BQ.png

H7ouTKz.png
yONcz0y.png
x1hVSEh.jpg
BkFslTl.png
d3KSrRF.png
inDqja9.jpg
NPoGVqg.jpg
muNHApx.png
j2FDzRw.jpg
N0LCJzc.jpg
37BHO4o.jpg
hbaX9t5.png
ZapKhBv.jpg
Drykb1p.png
31mDQFn.jpg
jvKkKkw.jpg

One Punch Man is an ongoing manga drawn by the very talented Yusuke Murata of Eyeshield 21 fame. The story is written by ONE, the original creator of the webcomic on which it is based. One Punch Man chronicles the life of Saitama, an overpowered superhero who has grown bored by the lack of a real challenge. While he lazes about, the Hero Association for which he works desperately attempts to contain threats to humanity.

The anime adaptation is currently available on Netflix and was created by Madhouse in 2015. A second season of One Punch Man is currently underway by a different creative staff and animation studio. Its release date is still TBA.

CHARACTERS
ZYg5BeF.jpg

Saitama aka Caped Baldy
Class B Rank 7

He's a hero for fun who obtained his incredible strength through the most grueling gauntlet of training imaginable! He's also the main character of the story.

n8JIJLu.jpg

Genos aka Demon Cyborg
Class S Rank 14

His village was massacred and his body destroyed by another mysterious cyborg. He was rebuilt as a tool for justice. In his quest to become strong enough to avenge the death of his loved ones, he has become Saitama's disciple.

zqLSp3s.jpg

Tatsumaki aka Tornado of Terror
Class S Rank 2

Tatsumaki looks like a child but she's actually older the most of the main cast! Despite her small stature, she is the greatest telekinetic on the planet and easily one of the strongest characters in OPM. She also has a huge inferiority complex so she's liable to toss aside anyone who gets in her way, hero or villain alike.

aRJlXtz.jpg

Bang aka Silver Fang
Class S Rank 3

The premiere martial artist of the Hero Association, Bang is the master of Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist. He routinely tries to recruit both Saitama and Genos to his dojo without much success.

xZPmPh7.jpg

Kamikaze aka Atomic Samurai
Class S Rank 4

The Hero Association's top fencer, there is no monster he can't cut down. He does not interact with Saitama too often but is usually around whenever disaster strikes.

D2hUbZ7.jpg

King
Class S Rank 7

The "Strongest Man in the World." Supposedly.

q4YWfFg.png

Metal Bat
Class S Rank 16

He's got a metal bat. He's got fighting spirit. He's gonna kick your ass!

i9jONIm.jpg

Fubuki aka Blizzard of Hell
Class B Rank 1

Tatsumaki's little younger sister, she's a powerful telekinetic in her own right but always seems to be living in her sister's shadow. She first crosses paths with Saitama when she tries to recruit him into her gang of B Class heroes.

ktLhQRX.jpg

Mumen Rider
Class C Rank 1

A scrub tier hero who just wants to do the right thing. Justice Crash!!

DxM4dj4.jpg

Sonic aka Speed O' Sound Sonic
He is Saitama's self proclaimed rival. He was once a master class assassin but now vows he cannot move on until he finally defeats Saitama.

8tJqdAv.jpg

Garou aka The Hero Hunter
The main villain of the current arc, Garou has a serious chip on his shoulder when it comes to heroes. He's the ex-disciple of Silver Fang and is on a quest to rid the world of heroes.

vKMUiMI.png

Gyoro Gyoro
She is the acting leader of the Monster Association and the only known being capable of controlling their trump card, Orochi. Her psychic powers rival that of Tatsumaki.

5ypQVXy.png

Orochi aka Monster King
As the strongest member of the Monster Association, his origins are shrouded in mystery. One thing's for sure, he's the strongest monster that has appeared in the series so far.

____________________________________​

For those of you that were left high and dry with the anime and want more OPM, I highly recommend picking up the manga, It starts off as a faithful transposition of the webcomic (and subsequently the show) but eventually starts incorporating new side stories and plots. The manga is currently still on Garou as the primary antagonist. With that in mind,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PLEASE TAG WEBCOMIC SPOILERS<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
(manga spoilers are OK)​

Last edited:

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Garou arc is one of the best Shounen arcs period, I hope the Manga can do the webcomic justice.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It sure took awhile, but I'm quite invested in the current arc now. Garou's the best.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
surprised this didn't have an OT already

There was a pretty long stretch where the manga was boring me (the tournament shit) but now that it's focusing on Garou again I'm back in.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Murata's art is sublime. Thia current arc has been amazeballs.

When is Season 2 for the anime supposed to be released?

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know how to feel about season 2. On one hand the material that happens after the finishing point for season 1 is soooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than what was covered in season 1. King and Fubuki are two of my favorite characters in the series, and their interactions with Saitama are freaking great. Garou's hero hunting exploits are great too. One the other hand, Mad House isn't doing season 2, and J.C.staff has huge shoes to fill.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think the material is worse tbh. Well, the stuff you talked about was great, but I imagine that would only cover the first few episodes. It's also going to be weird considering we're still in the middle of the arc. Is it just going to end with no satisfying conclusion? And there's the obvious problems with the change of studio and director.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Murata was asked if he was making the manga art far too complex, dynamic and full of all manner of crazy spectacle and action and his response was basically that it wasn't on him if they couldn't keep up and that he'd even go beyond what we've already seen. Basically Murata is gonna melt eyeballs.

Edit: I was kind of skeptical about Orochi at first but seeing him going toe to toe with Garou was pretty damn cool especially when his body starts to "break down" into its component monsters.

kIFErSb.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
guek

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the tournament arc dragged for a lot of people, and though I can definitely understand why, I think part of that was just because how long it took for them to get through it. In the anime, I doubt it's more than 2 episodes, maybe 3. That shouldn't be too bad. Suiryu is an interesting character that I hope comes back at some point. I'm sad we never got to see him fight Garou before Garou got as strong as he is now. Heck, I'd love to see Bang go up against Suiryu too.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Oh wow can't believe this didn't have an OT before. Anyway I love this series! I'm on volume 13 (only read when Viz puts out new volumes) and while I enjoyed bits of the tournament arc it felt like it should have been 1-2 chapters shorter. Though I wouldn't have been as impatient with it had it not happened in what felt like the middle of Garou's really interesting arc. But it finally ended so I'm hyped to see what awaits in volume 14!

Also does anybody know when season 2 of the anime starts? I'm sorry if it was specified in the OP or after but because I am not current I'm not really reading the thread for fear of spoilers.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I had the benefit of blitzing up to the current arc so I liked the tournament stuff. Can't wait for the next manga update. Curious if saitama drops in to save garous ass, I don't see how he could realistically overcome Orochi.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Orochi is going to get flattened by Saitama in a terribly anti-climactic manner. Calling it now.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of webcomic spoilers regarding Saitama in this arc:

he's barely in it and the S Class heros and Garou do most of the heavy lifting for like 80 to 90 percent of the arc.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Orochi isn't in the web comic but

based on what happens there, I think Garou beats him

As someone else who has read the webcomic:

I doubt it. Garou won't even be able to come close to beating Orochi until he gets his power-up from getting trashed by Darkshine, and by that point, I don't really see how a Garou/Orochi rematch would fit into the plot. Plus, I feel like it'll be a little much to let Monster Garou beat Orochi since he'll already get to show off against Gold Sperm.

EDIT: I could also see Tatsumaki maybe beating him when she goes to fight Psychos, but I don't think it's likely.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually thinking of making an OT for the Murata OPM around the time Garou was taking on the A Class heroes that had assembled to take him down. Since about then or there abouts the manga has been going non stop at a break neck pace from fight to fight to amazing fight to truly spectacular fight. The 150 page chapter with the battle between Bang, Bomb, Genos and Elder Centipede was bar none, one of the most amazing pieces of comic bookery I've seen in years. I feel bad for the anime team having to recreate some of this stuff.

The art in general has been some of his best work ever.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I plan on a more detailed post with examples of Murata just going balls to the wall with his action scenes and putting pretty much everyone else to shame.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I was actually thinking of making an OT for the Murata OPM around the time Garou was taking on the A Class heroes that had assembled to take him down. Since about then or there abouts the manga has been going non stop at a break neck pace from fight to fight to amazing fight to truly spectacular fight. The 150 page chapter with the battle between Bang, Bomb, Genos and Elder Centipede was bar none, one of the most amazing pieces of comic bookery I've seen in years. I feel bad for the anime team having to recreate some of this stuff.

The art in general has been some of his best work ever.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I plan on a more detailed post with examples of Murata just going balls to the wall with his action scenes and putting pretty much everyone else to shame.
Yeah dude is insane. I feel bad for JC Staff as well. They have to animate this?! It's gonna be interesting to see. I'm approaching the anime with caution. Just don't know how reputable JC Staff is.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sigh.. Season 2 really has me worried. Really loved the first season and started reading the Manga immediately afterwards.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a pretty long stretch where the manga was boring me (the tournament shit) but now that it's focusing on Garou again I'm back in.

I actually really liked the tournament stuff because the payoff was so good. Having the monsters show up, Suiryu getting hammered and losing all his confidence, the heroes showing up and looking confused that he's surprised they came back to save him, then the bit with Saitama at the end...

I much prefer when Saitama is used like that, showing up at the last moment so we can see other people fight instead. We don't really need to see Saitama fight most of the time because we know he'd annihilate basically anything, so saving him for the climactic battle at the end is better.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind the tournament stuff because it was jutxtaposed with the S Class heroes doing their thing with incredible art to really bring it all to life. I even liked the part with Genos fighting all the monsters and actually getting several wins while each of his fights mirrored what was going on during the matches in the martial arts tournament.

BMO=GOAT

Oct 26, 2017
As someone else who has read the webcomic:

I doubt it. Garou won't even be able to come close to beating Orochi until he gets his power-up from getting trashed by Darkshine, and by that point, I don't really see how a Garou/Orochi rematch would fit into the plot. Plus, I feel like it'll be a little much to let Monster Garou beat Orochi since he'll already get to show off against Gold Sperm.

EDIT: I could also see Tatsumaki maybe beating him when she goes to fight Psychos, but I don't think it's likely.

Judging from Muratas streams, he said how he talked to ONE and he felt Phykos should not be able to go toe to toe against Tatsu, so Orochi is going to fight Tatsu with Phykos help.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the only one that will give Saitama a satisfying fight will be [webcomic spoiler]
God? I guess

Joyful

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was distracted by the Fubuki and Tatsumaki art this chapter

Last edited:

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
zZzzzZzzzz

How ironic for One Punch Man to become an excruciatingly slow-paced battle shounen. Garou is so generic he shouldn't have gotten half a chapter worth of exposure and yet, somehow here we are after over 50 additional chapters and his mind-numbing character arc still hasn't ended.

... but, uh, really nice art.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We'll go back to the totally played out Saitama "One Punch" gag soon enough I'm sure.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
If this follows the webcomic as far as Saitama goes
we barely see him this arc and he doesn't do anything until the very end. I don't think he even has any real fights with the Monster Association members.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
zZzzzZzzzz

How ironic for One Punch Man to become an excruciatingly slow-paced battle shounen. Garou is so generic he shouldn't have gotten half a chapter worth of exposure and yet, somehow here we are after over 50 additional chapters and his mind-numbing character arc still hasn't ended.

... but, uh, really nice art.
Honestly I'm not surewhat other direction this series could have taken if they wanted it to go on as long as it has. Saitama's one punch schtick is fun parody of shonen but honestly I feel that if they just focused on that it would've gotten pretty old pretty quick in fact some people already seem tired of it it's not something you can make a long running series out of. Personally I think one punch man has enough interesting characters that can carry the show on their own so I don't mind saitama being sidelined I think it is ultimately for the best.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason why MP100 was always the better ONE series :P

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The whole wayward apprentice shtick. Even his design is generic.

In addition, doesn't he rarely or even never kill any of the heroes he fights despite that going against his characterization? Of course, it's there because we can't have him kill heroes when he's inevitably supposed to turn good later, which we're shown in not one but several chapters of him protecting a particularly ugly kid.

And yeh, what is there to him? He just fights and powers up against dozens and dozens of heroes and monsters. His inner struggle about not becoming an actual monster and what have you is simplistic and becomes repetitive and tiresome due to the ludicrous chapter count spend on all that.

Honestly I'm not surewhat other direction this series could have taken if they wanted it to go on as long as it has. Saitama's one punch schtick is fun parody of shonen but honestly I feel that if they just focused on that it would've gotten pretty old pretty quick in fact some people already seem tired of it it's not something you can make a long running series out of. Personally I think one punch man has enough interesting characters that can carry the show on their own so I don't mind saitama being sidelined I think it is ultimately for the best.

I mean, the basic premise certainly doesn't lend itself to a long-running series but to turn it into the very thing it made fun of is quite an achievement. Does ONE's webcomic become such a slog, too? Or is it rather Murata who adds tenfold content of his own.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Garou's arc is interesting in the webcomic, but the arc isn't even half as long as it is here. I can understand why it could be boring when it's dragged out for actual years.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Garou's arc is interesting in the webcomic, but the arc isn't even half as long as it is here. I can understand why it could be boring when it's dragged out for actual years.

Yup. It gets straight to the point in the webcomic. It's taking a bit more time to work with him here, which I don't exactly mind.