Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I thought the episode was great and didn't feel like the pacing, sound or anything was off. Was it a standout in animation? No. Was it awful in animation? No.

The animation was awful. There were a lot of confusing cuts, butchered action scenes, and somehow they found least (and that's no hyperbole) 10 different way not to animate talking faces during the scene with Fubuki at Saitama door.

It's fine if you enjoy it, it really is. The story itself is really entertaining at least. I myself laughed a few times at this episode. But just because you didn't noticed any issues doesn't mean they don't exist.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Yeah that looked bad but I still found it pretty enjoyable. I could go for a whole show that's just King and Saitama hanging out and trying to beat each other's high scores.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that looked bad but I still found it pretty enjoyable. I could go for a whole show that's just King and Saitama hanging out and trying to beat each other's high scores.
Pretty much where I'm at. I mostly like OPM for the comedy, and the animation is decent enough for me to enjoy with friends even if it's still a shame it won't live up to Murata's artwork like the first season.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Fubuki is the reason this episode looked bad. I mean, ai bet all the budget went into that animation.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, now the source material is going to have to hold up the whole thing. Considering it's ONE, that's not a bad thing.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
The animation is at it's worse when Genos is on screen, luckily enough the next couple of episodes should have less Genos if I remember correctly

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I knew I'd see these posts after watching the episode
G6QPhDr.gif

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I thought the episode is great. The animation is decent enough, so no complaints here.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Man, after being seriously sad and disappointed when we knew what's happening to seasons 2, I thought I have accepted the reality.
But damn, episode 2 disappointed even more.

The direction and editing is something I would expect from super generic low quality shows.
As if it's not bad enough that almost all action scenes contain a very high amount of stills, they even managed to make them look really confusing and often cheap looking. Feels like they tried to make up for the missing good animations by adding tons of bad effects/post processing etc. Often looked very cluttered and overdone.

And from what we heard about the production and schedule so far, it will possibly only going downhill from here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue the show is going to run into going on is that the amazing fights and visuals should have been the saving grace of this season.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Yeah, I'm confused. Perhaps my lizard brain and plebeian tastes are to be blamed, but Genos v. Sonic was legit hype for me. I mean, the models don't look super appealing but yo, that fight was hot.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I'm somewhat jealous of people who can't tell good animation from bad animation.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just the animation. It's the camera just panning around. It's the weird angles and horrible still models in the foreground and background. I never pay attention to "cinematography" and I'm a horrible judge of anything of that stuff, but even I found it jarring. I don't know how much longer I can keep watching this. Maybe I will just read the manga. But the music is so ace.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Not only good animation from bad animation, also everything else. I really wish I could've enjoyed this episode without noticing the pacing, directing, editing and everything else.
Well, yeah that too (I criticized the first episode for this stuff). My cousin asked me if I watched the premiere last week and I told him it was terrible on all counts. He told me he'd heard the opposite from his friends. He hasn't seen it.

If people enjoy it I'm happy for them but man this hurts after such an amazing adaptation for the first season. After watching this episode I've decided just to stick to the manga. I'll probably binge the season after it's finished at some point in the future.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's the worst offender. The metal is so garish it makes Genos appear unnatural. He doesn't look like he's from the world of OPM; he doesn't belong in it. Pulls you out of every scene, which is amazing considering how awful everything else looks. Who thought it was appropriate to make Season 2 of a legitimate, crossover hit "baby's first anime production?"

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
You have to be kidding.
Nope. I like the less solid lines for the art, and the way things look in motion doesn't seem cheap at all to me. Things like the afterimage stuff and saitama holding back the giant bird have what feels like a grander quality to them, more grounding in the environment. I typically AM a person who notices things like bad cinematography, but i dont really have any issues with what im seeing here. Its definitely a different style than the previous season, but i wouldn't call it bad

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm confused. Perhaps my lizard brain and plebeian tastes are to be blamed, but Genos v. Sonic was legit hype for me. I mean, the models don't look super appealing but yo, that fight was hot.
No, you're right. It was straight hype. In general I think the animation is a bit wonky, but that fight was legit.

I don't know how Garou can compete with the antagonist of the last season. In reality the prophecy really did come true and Saitama beat him. I forget the guy's name but he traveled the whole galaxy to find some as powerful as Saitama to fight. Like, what's Garou going to do?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
No, you're right. It was straight hype. In general I think the animation is a bit wonky, but that fight was legit.

I don't know how Garou can compete with the antagonist of the last season. In reality the prophecy really did come true and Saitama beat him. I forget the guy's name but he traveled the whole galaxy to find some as powerful as Saitama to fight. Like, what's Garou going to do?
You will see, is all I'm going to say.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even know Season 2 had started because nobody was talking about it. After the first episode I can kind of see why.

This scene with Genos has him moving his lips to speak, but the cyborg part of his face shows its teeth clenched the whole time while also not even aligned with where his mouth is. One of the more awkward things ive seen in anime in a long time.

Last edited:

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Saitama always comes out on top, it's the interactions that make it fun. And he never kills people/monsters he likes

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I was expecting worse given some of the impressions, but:
Episode 2 looked a little better to me than Episode 1, but apparently Episode 2 had 5 Chief Animation Directors, 3 Animation Directors, and 3 Assistant Animation Directors (source).

That seems like... a lot for a show's second episode.
If they have to pull out this many stops at the second episode to achieve something ranging from bad to perfunctory, uh oh indeed.

Oct 28, 2017
It was a really good episode.
Didn't want to whine because of the new look of the series, but that fight scene was pretty bad. Not only lacked animation the directing, the angles, everything. S1 had such dinamic battles.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Episode 2 looked a little better to me than Episode 1, but apparently Episode 2 had 5 Chief Animation Directors, 3 Animation Directors, and 3 Assistant Animation Directors (source).

That seems like... a lot for a show's second episode.

Uff people will die around Episode 4 or 5 :( they should have just waited for the other stuff or the correct people and giving them time :/

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
I don't think he killed anyone, he just beat the shit out of them.

Didn't he explicitly say he was going to kill everyone in the room?

It was a really good episode.
Didn't want to whine because of the new look of the series, but that fight scene was pretty bad. Not only lacked animation the directing, the angles, everything. S1 had such dinamic battles.

Oh hey, a fellow fan from Hungary.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
people complaining about the animation quality concerns ?
did we not all watch season 1 together, that nailed every single thing
waiting 4 years for such a bland and badly put together season 2 ( so far ) ,isnt fair to people who appreiated the excellence of the first seasom

it just feels so off and stilted compared to season 1

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
it just feels so off and stilted compared to season 1

Yes it does. But that doesn't mean that everyone is interested in spending the entirety of the season just complaining about the animation after each episode.

The story is at least something that develops, whereas the animation talk will likely not evolve beyond "hey, another disappointing episode, they didn't do that one scene justice at all, S1 was better, read the manga instead". I'm not saying the complaints aren't valid, I just don't want the thread to devolve into a circle jerk of regurgitated negativity.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Wow this episode was disjointed, is the budget that tight that a fight can start we get 2 frames of animation and then it ends? How can a company put out mediocre work like this and stay in business.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Yes it does. But that doesn't mean that everyone is interested in spending the entirety of the season just complaining about the animation after each episode.

The story is at least something that develops, whereas the animation talk will likely not evolve beyond "hey, another disappointing episode, they didn't do that one scene justice at all, S1 was better, read the manga instead". I'm not saying the complaints aren't valid, I just don't want the thread to devolve into a circle jerk of regurgitated negativity.
For the real good animes, story and animation goes hand in hand for me and many others. All time classics like Akira, GitS, Bebop and others would maybe not be the the classics they are if they all had "animations" like this.

I get what you are saying, that it drowns the discussion of the content but it's really heartbreaking seeing scenes and gifs of the animation work.

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they had just gone with a more simple style for Genos's armor like in S1, the weird metallic smudginess looks really bad.

I guess this season would have hurt less if it wasn't for season 1 being beautifully animated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
For the real good animes, story and animation goes hand in hand for me and many others. All time classics like Akira, GitS, Bebop and others would maybe not be the the classics they are if they all had "animations" like this.

I get what you are saying, that it drowns the discussion of the content but it's really heartbreaking seeing scenes and gifs of the animation work.
Kind of unfair comparisons since Akira and GitS are movies, and I'd argue that both those movies would still hold up even with bad animation since the best part about them was the story, also a lot of older beloved anime do have animation that would be considered bad by today's standards

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I could get used to the janky animation, but the comedy parts are also much worse. All the hang-out scenes feel so sluggish, and the comic timing is way off. This season's story wants to be taken much more seriously than S1, but it can't deliver on either the heavy or the light moments.