• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About 10 years ago I was walking through my room in the dark. I tripped and hit my mouth on the edge of my bed. Knocked out my two front teeth. Like you, there was no pain but blood everywhere. I had to go without those teeth for about a day, but I have implants now and you would never know they are fake.

Cost around $2000 a tooth without insurance.

That's not so bad, I could cover that. Looking at an inflation calculator, it'd be about $2500 today. Surely my insurance will at least cover something, too.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I was eating Swedish fish a while ago and the front part of one of my molars at the very back of my mouth broke/chipped.

I didn't feel anything except crunchy swedish fish and then I knew something was wrong and spit the toothy mess out.

Other life stuff got in the way and I haven't been to the dentist, yet. This thread reminds me that I should go!

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
is there risk of going to a dental school? Like, could they fuck up and not fix it or something?

There's always risks but those students are watched like hawks so it's pretty minimal. The downside is that it's a teaching environment so it does take more time. But if it saves you a bunch of money, I think it's at least worth considering. But go to the dentist first so you at least have an idea of what work you need done.

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is a nightmare I have at least once a month.

I had to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming right now about it happening to an ERA poster.

Fuck I reaaaaly am terrified of this happening to me.

Sorry OP.

Same, and I try to put the teeth back in too but they keep falling out, fucking horrifying.

OP, you can get a false tooth. It'll probably cost you a couple thousand though.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol what. I paid a couple of hundred of €s for my partial crown in Germany.

Had then same thing happening to me as the OP. Part of the top of a tooth just like that broke off while eating a soft sandwhich.

No partial crown in my case. Full New teeth the pulled the broken ones out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's always risks but those students are watched like hawks so it's pretty minimal. The downside is that it's a teaching environment so it does take more time. But if it saves you a bunch of money, I think it's at least worth considering. But go to the dentist first so you at least have an idea of what work you need done.

Much appreciate the advice, and everyone else's advice in this topic. My stomach is still in knots, but I feel a bit better knowing the dentist can probably fix this problem. I can still remember the feeling of losing teeth as a kid and I absolutely hated it.

I wish it were morning already so I could be at the dentist, though.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Extractions themselves are actually quite cheap, 50 bucks with okay insurance for me. Don't know about implants, I decided to just let my molar go. Getting it pulled was painless but felt insanely uncomfortable.

I actually finally got almost all of my work done after like... 15 years of no dentistry. 9 fillings, 1 pulled tooth, and a deep cleaning. Not fun at all, I hate people being that close to me more than the pain, but I am relieved that it is over with.

Just need to get my wisdom teeth out and I am golden. Floss 6 times a week and brush 2-3 times a day now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Extractions themselves are actually quite cheap, 50 bucks with okay insurance for me. Don't know about implants, I decided to just let my molar go. Getting it pulled was painless but felt insanely uncomfortable.

I actually finally got almost all of my work done after like... 15 years of no dentistry. 9 fillings, 1 pulled tooth, and a deep cleaning. Not fun at all, I hate people being that close to me more than the pain, but I am relieved that it is over with.

Just need to get my wisdom teeth out and I am golden. Floss 6 times a week and brush 2-3 times a day now.

Don't they have to actually be able to hold onto the tooth to do an extraction? I'm worried there isn't enough for them to grab onto. Wouldn't that need surgery? I've only ever been put to sleep for surgery once, to take out a wisdom tooth (as a precaution, it was coming in straight otherwise). Since it was straight and healthy, it was super easy. This is, like, shattered. I just get the feeling that if it does need extracting, it'll be messy and painful.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit Krej. This is horrible to hear and I am scared for you.

This thread is a nightmare I have at least once a month.

I had to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming right now about it happening to an ERA poster.

Fuck I reaaaaly am terrified of this happening to me.

Sorry OP.

This is a fear of mine as well.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Krejlooc, you have a lot of bizarre things happen to you and you post a lot of bizarre threads. It's oddly endearing.

Hope you get your tooth sorted out with minimal irritation. I hate dental work.

gesicht

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go to the dentist in the morning, but I really need some words of encouragement to make me feel better. I guess there's no chance of saving the tooth, I mean it's broken the fuck off. I put the old tooth part in milk, I've read about doing that. Will they have to do an extraction? Do they have to put me to sleep to do that? I have cheap-ass dental insurance that really only covers cavities and teeth cleaning, anybody know what something like this would cost out of pocket, worst case? What can they do? Can I get, like, a false tooth for the gap?

Sorry about your tooth, I think you'll live through the encounter with the dentist though.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Don't they have to actually be able to hold onto the tooth to do an extraction? I'm worried there isn't enough for them to grab onto. Wouldn't that need surgery? I've only ever been put to sleep for surgery once, to take out a wisdom tooth (as a precaution, it was coming in straight otherwise). Since it was straight and healthy, it was super easy. This is, like, shattered. I just get the feeling that if it does need extracting, it'll be messy and painful.

That's quite possible. The quote I was given for my wisdom teeth was 2K, 500 a tooth, so you'd think that is the rough number for a surgical extraction or there about? I don't think it would be painful during the procedure itself though, neither my deep cleaning or extraction hurt that badly (the cleaning was worse). Sorry that I can't provide better or accurate insight.

Edit: My exracted molar wasn't much more than a glorified nub, worn down by cavities when I was younger.

Oct 25, 2017
I chipped my tooth at like age 6 and ever since then I would have to get bonding about every 4 years because the bond would fall out while eating at random. Now, I have a crown in there that's the exact same color. Nobody's ever known.

The pain when air passes through an open tooth is real bad though.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As curious as I am, I'd like to see a pic. Would you mind?

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I chipped my tooth at like age 6 and ever since then I would have to get bonding about every 4 years because the bond would fall out while eating at random. Now, I have a crown in there that's the exact same color. Nobody's ever known.

The pain when air passes through an open tooth is real bad though.

I had an ear ache while my currently extracted molar had an exposed nerve. The pain was so intense that I was in my garage beating a wooden bench with a pipe wrench to distract myself. Nothing in my life has hurt that much.

CastorKrieg

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Would cost me 7300 Euros in Germany and insurance will pay 700 Euros out of it. Still havent done but will have to do soon. You cant see it in my case though. I can feel you.

If you can look into traveling to Poland close to the German border e.g. Wroclaw / Breslau and Szczecin / Stettin. There is a whole dental industry there catering to Germans - nurses and doctors speak German + you will even get it reimbursed by German social security. Might be way cheaper.

They should be able to pull it out even if part of it is broken. Surgery is almost never needed (mostly for people doing all wisdom teeth at once or too afraid for anaesthesia), just need to slightly cut the gum as a final resort - when they were taking my wisdom teeth two of them had inverted root like a hook, still managed to pull them out.

Last edited:

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Had the same on the left and the right with two which werent even fully grown out (first teeth like my grandpa) and both broke after eating a sandwich. Same thing like you, no pain, just broken, bit of blood.

Would cost me 7300 Euros in Germany and insurance will pay 700 Euros out of it. Still havent done but will have to do soon. You cant see it in my case though. I can feel you.
I broke the last upper molars on each side over the period of one year, then they both got infected when I went to a swimming pool. Purchased a bunch of over-the-counter pain killers and jumped into the next bus to a Slovakian border town next to Austria that specializes in "dental tourists" and got them both removed for a fraction of what it would cost in Austria. Since they were the last teeth of the row, I didn't even consider having them repaired or replaced, I just wanted them to out asap

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you can look into traveling to Poland close to the German border e.g. Wroclaw / Breslau and Szczecin / Stettin. There is a whole dental industry there catering to Germans - nurses and doctors speak German + you will even get it reimbursed by German social security. Might be way cheaper.

Thank you for the advice. Thought the same about doing it in Thailand. Some friends over there recommended it lol

But I am also a bit scared. Pulling that one broken one out felt horrible. It wasnt the pain but rather that they had problems and the even moved my chin with it. One of the best doctors around but that scared the shit out of me lol

I would get new ones with screws so that my gums would surround the screw and then newly designed three tooth (even though i lost only two, but there is place for three..)

Thank you again i will look into that

CastorKrieg

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Thank you for the advice. Thought the same about doing it in Thailand. Some friends over there recommended it lol

But I am also a bit scared. Pulling that one broken one out felt horrible. It wasnt the pain but rather that they had problems and the even moved my chin with it. One of the best doctors around but that scared the shit out of me lol

I would get new ones with screws so that my gums would surround the screw and then newly designed three tooth (even though i lost only two, but there is place for three..)

Thank you again i will look into that

Well, I respect friends but I definitely would not do it in Thailand lol. Feel free to look into it - I am sure there are forums in German discussing the dentistry in Poland, you should be able to get names of well-regarded offices. FYI the dentistry education in Poland is extremely high, much the same as the rest of the medical profession (which is why the doctors emigrate en masse to countries like Scandinavia).

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
my teeth were quite difficult to remove (like, the dentist got a little bit annoyed after a while and when he showed me the teeth he was all "look at these fuckers") but I only needed local anesthesia. After the injection you don't feel any pain. If you're not particularly squeamish you won't need anything more. And I have a rather strong gag reflex too, but we managed

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
One of my wisdom teeth shattered during extraction, so they took a hammer and chisel to the remainder to get it out.
Didn't feel anything but a little fear that the dentist's grip might slip...;)

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP you're living my nightmare :( hope it works out but shit.
I swear that recurring nightmare of mine.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my teeth were quite difficult to remove (like, the dentist got a little bit annoyed after a while and when he showed me the teeth he was all "look at these fuckers") but I only needed local anesthesia. After the injection you don't feel any pain. If you're not particularly squeamish you won't need anything more. And I have a rather strong gag reflex too, but we managed

Can confirm and the dentist was annoyed at my teeth too. In my case it was still so strong that they really had to pull with different pliers.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can fix anything these days. The issue is cost. Maybe you ask about a lower cost solution now that can be replaced with something better at a later time.

Rudr

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
For a canine they'll do local anesthesia. Basically they just use fancy pliers and yank your tooth out. If they can't grab it they'll just cut some of your gum.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
A transplant will cost you 1500+ if you don't have any insurance, a bridge might be possible, too, which is cheaper. Don't worry though, you might be able to pay back in rates.

Also, get that extra insurance, it's generally pretty cheap.

Edit: Don't think too much about the extraction. You will be nervous as fuck for a thing that could be done in a minute or two in most cases.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
is there risk of going to a dental school? Like, could they fuck up and not fix it or something?
No idea what it's like in your country but in the UK it's fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes they're students and can make mistakes but in my experience there's always been 2 professional dentists watching them. I'm sure if they were doing even the slightest thing wrong they'd stop him.

Not to mention it's extremely unlikely you're the first person he's treated so he's probably got hundreds of real world experience under his belt.

It's like a learner in a driving instructors car - sure it's possible to make mistakes but how often do you hear of any major mistake? The driving instructors (professional dentists) know what they're doing and can anticipate mistakes before they happen and be ready to intervene.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Your options are probably a crown or an implant. Crown would probably be quite a lot less expensive than an implant.

Oct 27, 2017
I had a similar thing happen when a piece of tooth chipped off while I was chewing gum. The first dentist said I would need an implant but I got a second opinion and the other dentist believed it could be fixed with just a root canal. Very straightforward procedure and I ended up not losing the tooth.

If the dentist you go to tomorrow says it looks like it'll need an implant, get a second opinion.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
any idea how much that would run? I have money in my savings account for rainy days and dental insurance, but I feel like this is gonna be expensive.
Yes they are expensive, but they're excellent

TBH, I'd be more worried about not feeling any pain. Go to the docs and get a ton of stuff checked out

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't stress about this, you'll be fine. i had a similar situation a while back and was pleasantly surprised at how quick and relatively painless it was. the worst part will probably be the novacaine, honestly

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Honestly I've had similarish things happen twice and both times I was like WOW THIS TURNED OUT FINE, FEEL LIKE A DUNCE FOR WORRYING THAT MUCH

- worst one was when i split a front tooth on an m&m, it had this huge vertical crack and I was afraid of losing more of the tooth, i had a slightly loose bit. If you have any sharp edges I suggest getting some dental putty aka a 'home temporary filling kit' if you're in a not insane country you should be able to get one at a pharmacy for like £5-10, otherwise tbh maybe I wouldn't even bother. The temp 'filling' kept falling out after about 6-12 hours but i just kept replacing it with more of the putty, felt better than nothing. And then I got it fixed and you wouldn't even guess it was every broken. I think it cost as much as a basic filling job and didn't need any anaesthetic if I remember right?

- other one was more similar to yours, it was a molar and the whole thing just crumbled to bits suddenly, it felt like I lost about 50% of the tooth. There wasn't any blood though. They decided there was enough left to put a cap on it. so I had one session with local anaesthetic (just a lil injection on the gum) where they carved up the tooth to clean it up and make it hold a cap better, put a proper temp filling in for a week (proper dentist one that doesnt fall out!) but in that time the gum got irritated and infected so that hurt a bit, but I've had worse. Then next session they said I wouldn't need anaesthetic injections but I asked them for just some mild gel anaesthetic (since the gum was sore from infection) They jammed basically a new tooth in there and it was ace, the gum was still sore and swollen for a couple days but now it's like i have a secret frankentooth that's better than ever. That one cost a few hundo even with NHS but I had some dental insurance and they covered it back since its still necessary treatment.

In your case you may have lost too much of the tooth, but if you need an extraction honestly people I know who have got extractions were like YEAH ITS FINE, it can often feel like even less of a big deal than having a tooth salvaged. And it's a lot cheaper. A lot of people even choose not to get implants because it gives them relief from wisdom tooth problems later on and the teeth just start to slowly move together.
You'll probably be presented with a bunch of options and just ask them upfront about all the costs and risks.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well you have a few options depending on exactly where the fracture is, the condition of your dentin and root when you see a dentist. You might just need a crown. Depending on the material and your insurance you could be looking at $700-2000. If you need a root canal on top of that could be $0-1500 post and core build up another $300-500. That would be for a crown.

You could have it extracted and be done. That's usually under $200, but since it's a canine, you would want that replaced. Could go with a 3-unit bridge which would cost about $4000-5000. A one unit flipper partial denture for about $3000. Or implant which total cost for implant plus crown runs between $4500-6000.

Bruxism is just clenching and grinding. It is not specifically tied to nighttime. If you do grind, you should get a nightguard/bitesplint. This can happen to any of your teeth because of grinding.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Out of the fucking blue? No cavities or anything but had a root canal and have a bunch of fillings? Eat candy all the time.

So are you really surprised this happened?

I am sure you can get a cap but put down the candy for a bit.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Out of the fucking blue, didn't have a cavity or anything in it. It's one of my canines on my right side. I was chewing on a tootsie roll pop when CRACK. This is fucking horrifying. There's no pain, but using my tongue and a mirror it's like the entire "top" part of the tooth just snapped off, there is a really sharp jagged edge at the gum where the tooth, uh, root goes. My mouth is bleeding like crazy. Again, no pain, which is also scary, but I'm freaking the fuck out.

Gonna go to the dentist in the morning, but I really need some words of encouragement to make me feel better. I guess there's no chance of saving the tooth, I mean it's broken the fuck off. I put the old tooth part in milk, I've read about doing that. Will they have to do an extraction? Do they have to put me to sleep to do that? I have cheap-ass dental insurance that really only covers cavities and teeth cleaning, anybody know what something like this would cost out of pocket, worst case? What can they do? Can I get, like, a false tooth for the gap?

Maaaan this is literally like a nightmare come true. I dream about my teeth falling out all the time. I'm so fucking mortified.
Probably a dental implant or a crown.

If there's enough tooth left to crown, that is.

Get a gold K9 OP, be a cool kid.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yikes... I feel like it's only a matter of time before this happens to me. I clench my teeth subconsciously all the time.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i had a piece of a tooth break off because of an amalgam filling i received a long time ago. just got a crown placed over it. think it cost close to 1k

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Canadian here with Dental Coverage(80% up to 2000)

I've had two teeth break partially twice.It cost about $57 each time.

BTW, I was one of the people who posted in that thread about not going to the dentist for several years, getting bells palsy from dirty dentist tools is rough.

Jeez... Sugar is devil. I just started taking my kids in for regular checkups since my eldest turned two and I was super nervous because other people were telling me they took their kids in when the first tooth popped, but the dentist passed us with flying colors. When she asked about our routine I mentioned the no sugar thing and she said that would be it. She'd just seen a 1 and a half year old with black stumps for teeth because his parents gave him juice and soda all the time to keep him 'happy'. Been getting steadily worse in the UK, according to her.

Good luck, OP. I'm sure they'll be able to fix it. Cut back on your sweets if you can and save yourself some pain and money later on.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you've taken care of it yet or not, but don't worry! Surgery is mostly for impacted stuff, a root is only slightly harder than a full tooth.

Depending on your situation your options afterward range from "they'll only notice if they look" to "they'll never notice" so you should be fine!