Atolm

Oct 25, 2017

So today a video has been making the rounds with Persona 5 running at 60fps on the RPCS3 emulator. I digged a bit further and as it turns out, other 60 fps hacks have been discovered and made available, like one for Nier (sadly, the Demon's Souls hack speeds up the game 2x, logic is totally tied to the framerate. But don't despair! This happened with BotW as well on CEMU and people managed to get it running at framerates higher than 60!).

But this thread isn't about that. The videos made curious and I tried RPCS3 for the first time in 5-6 months. And boy, have they improved. The Vulkan API works like a charm and the shader-generating stutter is practically non-existant with it.

I dusted my old (and hacked) PS3 from the basement and extracted a few games that I had on it and that are now delisted. Most notable is Afterburner Climax. It works like a charm, 4k60fps without stressing my system at all (6700k@4,6Ghz, 1080). Same with Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown. Sega won't give us a proper PC port? No problem, it runs perfectly on the emulator. Well, I had to cap the framerate, because with the cap off it went past 150fps!.

With a hacked PS3, you can rip your own discs fairly easily, and so I did so with games like 3D Dot Game Heroes and Ridge Racer 7 which are exclusives to the PS3. And again, like a champ.

I'm so happy right now. Those games that seemed forever chained to the PS3, because they weren't popular enough to warrant a port, let there to rot until Sony eventually takes down the PSN for older hardware, have found new life thanks to this emulator.

And I have my copy of Yakuza Kenzan waiting patiently for the patch in development to play it (yes, the game works) even though I finished it with a guide years ago.

So hats off to the RPCS3 devs and emulation programmers in general. The true saviors and caretakers of gaming legacy.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried RPCS3 in a while, but it's always good to hear that they are continuing to make big improvements. I've been planning to play through both Demon's Souls and Nier with it at some point.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to change textures on any of these emulators yet? Playing games in 4K with muddy textures is šŸ˜¬. I remember playing Xenoblade with HD textures and it was fantastic.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I had no idea ps3 emulation had made this much progress. Frankly, I figured it was still years away. Super cool stuff to see, even though I just don't have the time to tinker these days.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
It always strikes me how ps3 emulation is so "easy" despite the system's hardware being so weird. I would've guessed it would be the next Saturn, yet it's got mich essier to emulate than a ps2, at least as far as I know

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Free Resistance 3 from the PS3!

*Looks like some notable progress has been made since I last checked.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
OP, you can't link that video!! Atlus is going to throw a tantrum again -- we gotta hide!

But seriously, I do love keeping up to date with emulation news. It's crazy seeing the dedication of the RPCS3 team pay off. They are lacking in volunteers to write their progress reports, so it's a shame we can't get the newest details just yet!

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yeah, MGS4 is the important one for me, too bad it used some exclusive library or thing (i dont remember exactly what or where i read it) wich is why is harder to emulate; only that game used it.

Dec 15, 2017
Of courseā€¦ PC gaming saves the day once more. The demand for hundreds of games is there. Games will be playable one way or another. On the long run, exclusives are a losing battle.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is really impressive. Does VF5 really run flawlessly?

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
To be honest, I'm rather stunned at how quickly RPCS3 has developed. I remember reading the news about Disgaea 3 booting and running at like 4-5 FPS, then some time later it felt like out of nowhere Demon's Souls and multiple other games were booting and running at around 15-20 FPS and it was one giant leap after another after that.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
With a hacked PS3, you can rip your own discs fairly easily, and so I did so with games like 3D Dot Game Heroes and Ridge Racer 7 which are exclusives to the PS3. And again, like a champ.
This was going to be my main question, so I'm glad it was answered in OP.

Thing I really like for these "later systems" emulation like Wii, Wii U, and Xbox 360 is how easy it is to rip content that you own so you can use it in an emulator (really, I guess I'm salty that I don't have a good way to rip NES games still, the kazzo kinda finicky).

OP
OP
Atolm

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Could a theoretical ps5 ps3 emulator exist? Like could it be brutforced to work for bc?

If Sony was interested, absolutely. An eight core Ryzen Zen 2 at something like 3,5Ghz with a dedicated development team would eat my 6700k with RPCS3 for breakfast. But they don't seem interested.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
This is excellent news in general, and it also makes Atlus's decision to arbitrarily limit P5 on PS4 to 30 fps that much more puzzling.

I'm really excited about the prospective future of playing MGS4 at higher resolutions and frame rates. There were parts in the game, like when you used night vision goggles, where you'd get a taste of 60 fps, and man I just feel that's a game that would benefit quite a lot from a smoother frame rate.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
My one regret of selling my ps3 to go ps4 is demons souls. I mean, it was a no brainer because obviously they were going to release a remaster...! :(

I suppose it's no where near as easy as buying a demons souls disc and popping it in the blu ray drive on my pc?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Didn't some hero set up a server that you can manually connect to that emulates the Demon's Souls online mode? I remember reading about that.

I've been wanting to replay it, but I was waiting for RPCS3 to get to the point where I could play it full-speed there with online re-enabled so it's great to hear that future is upon us.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
60 FPS hacks are great, just recently setup RPCS3 on my rig since I have a hacked PS3 and I just upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 3900x. Playing my dumped copy of Project Diva F @ 1440p/60FPS is sure something, and I'm pretty sure I could downsample 4k with no issues if I really wanted.

Edit: Random question, is the Xbox BC version of Asura's Wrath X enhanced? If it is I'll play that on XB1X, if not guess I'll grab a PS3 copy and the DLC for RPCS3!

Last edited:

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
With a hacked PS3, you can rip your own discs fairly easily
You rip your own discs even easier if you have a Bluray drive in your PC. PS3 discs are just regular Blurays, so PC drives have no issues reading them (unlike Nintendo's optical media that are proprietary and can only be read be the systems themselves).

Anyway, not so much aiming this reply at you, Atolm. More just to clarify for anyone who is unfamiliar with PS3 emulation and might get the wrong impression reading that.

Edit: Oh I guess that's not true for every PC drive. Ymmv

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Im in a couple of emulation discords and that game in the OP is a seemingly big deal for folks. Gameplay looks like some kind of weird mix between Manga and a Tarantino flick; but I guess it must be good if people are so excited it runs well now.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
You rip your own discs even easier if you have a Bluray drive in your PC. PS3 discs are just regular Blurays, so PC drives have no issues reading them (unlike Nintendo's optical media that are proprietary and can only be read be the systems themselves).

Anyway, not so much aiming this reply at you, Atolm. More just to clarify for anyone who is unfamiliar with PS3 emulation and might get the wrong impression reading that.

Actually, it's kinda tricky ripping PS3 games on PC. More than you make it out to be, at least. It really is just easier to rip to an external HDD with a CFW PS3 and have RPCS3 read from the drive's ./GAMES directory.

OP
OP
Atolm

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Random question, is the Xbox BC version of Asura's Wrath X enhanced? If it is I'll play that on XB1X, if not guess I'll grab a PS3 copy and the DLC for RPCS3!

It's not enhanced, sadly. But on the other hand, the PS3 version has much higher quality videos, so once it works I'd play it on RPCS3 instead of Xbox.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

It's not, so go ahead!

By the way, a question from someone who has never used RPCS3: can the dlc be played too?

Edit: also, can you play patched versions of the games or only as they come in the disk? You know, preservation worries.