• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
It's either NES or the Sega Mega Drive, one of them for sure, but I can't recall which ones I've played first as I was too young lol. Voted for NES

It could've been one of those tetris handheld too I suppose :P

tetris-brick.jpg

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Mine might have been NES, but I picked SNES because it's the earliest I can actually remember.

Yog-sothot

Dec 27, 2017
Belgium
A Home arcade / Arcadia 2001. My dad won that crappy 2nd gen console on a tv show. Luckily, we quickly got a master system afterwards

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I lived in a homeless shelter until I was about 5. There was this other kid there (Probably around 13) and he had a PS1 with Tony Hawk on it. Im pretty sure thats when I fell in love with videogames.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Earliest memory is on a Super Nintendo, most of my childhood was a 64 though

Erikun

Jun 20, 2018
It was on a Sears pong machine. I remember it had tennis, squash, hockey, and ping pong. They were basically all the same except for very tiny differences.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
C64 or 2600 im not entirely sure. Then, my grandads Amiga after that which just blew my tiny mind..

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I think it was the BBC Micro. No idea what games I played though. I only remember a text adventure that I don't think was Grannys Garden and a platformer where you played as a piece of popcorn that I'm not sure wasn't a nightmare.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
My choice isn't listed. It was an Amstrad PCW at a friend's house. (It's a different platform than the more popular Amstrad CPC)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
First games were NES but most memories are SNES and first games I owned were GB.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I put NES but it could've been colecovision, my aunt and uncle had one (their kids were a bit older than us) - and I have memories of playing the Smurfs game lol. Just not sure which would've come first (although my parents had an NES before having kids so I assume that).

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
My dad had a Sega genesis and my uncle had an Atari. I played games on both when I was little. The first gaming console that was gifted to me and my brother was the N64.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Given the average age of Era posters, I'm expecting it to overwhelmingly be NES
I think for most people gaming started with the PS1 or PS2. And if you are younger it probably started with a phone or tablet.

Gaming has grown a lot since the NES days.

Though if the average person on ERA is old then you might be right. I was just assuming it was a lot of teens and people in their early 20s.

For me for console it was the Atari 2600. I was really young but I think it was missile command or tank for my first game. Arcades were so much better than consoles in the late 70s and early 80s. I think the first game I was played was probably in an arcade but I can't remember what it was. What was popular in 1981. Probably Frogger. I could play that as a little kid. Donkey Kong was impossible for me.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Atari 7800. Oh games too? Ghostbusters and Pitfall.

But i got a NES a year after that one.

Last edited:

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't remember, could have been AoE 2 on pc, a Snowboard game on PS1 or Pokémon Blue on GameBoy.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no fucking idea.
I think at a cousins house on some old console or even home computer.
But I don't know which one. After that I remember playing at an other cousins Windows 98 PC and some SNES at a friends home

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
It was a Kinder&Ferrero game on Windows 98. I'm not even sure it was commercialized outside Italy

Edit: I found a video:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
To the 10 souls who voted for Mainframe my hat's off to you.

Surprised there aren't more votes for Arcades and PlayStation.

Oct 27, 2017
I think for most people gaming started with the PS1 or PS2. And if you are younger it probably started with a phone or tablet.

Gaming has grown a lot since the NES days.

Though if the average person on ERA is old then you might be right. I was just assuming it was a lot of teens and people in their early 20s.

For me for console it was the Atari 2600. I was really young but I think it was missile command or tank for my first game. Arcades were so much better than consoles in the late 70s and early 80s. I think the first game I was played was probably in an arcade but I can't remember what it was. What was popular in 1981. Probably Frogger. I could play that as a little kid. Donkey Kong was impossible for me.

www.resetera.com

ERA age, how old are you?

I was just curious on the overall age range of this forum and all. I'm 22, how about you guys?
www.resetera.com

How Old Are You, GamingEra?

Inspired by these threads: https://www.resetera.com/threads/demographics-era-how-old-are-you-poll-reset-and-updated.85506/ https://www.resetera.com/threads/whats-it-like-being-a-younger-gamer-on-a-forum-full-of-older-ones.161384/
www.resetera.com

Demographics Era: How old are you? (Poll reset and updated)

Just out of curiosity. I'm assuming most are 30+. I would have created more options, but this was the limit the poll would allow me. EDIT: Poll updated by The Woods. Thanks!
www.resetera.com

What's it like being a younger gamer on a forum full of older ones?

You see all these threads talking about Silent Hill 2, or Xenosaga, or Metal Gear Solid...these games came out when you were in diapers I guess. Do you have any desire to play these games? Have you tried any? Or do you feel it's like your parents talking about 60s/70s/80s movies?

I can remember a few more similar polls but cant be bothered to dig through more of the old threads to find them. Anecdotally though, Era's base is mainly in the age range for NES to have been their first console.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
NES the thread lol...

Mine was an Amstrad. In 87 or so. I think I was just like 6 at the time? Then got a NES in '90, then a SNES in '92 or something like that. PS1 in '95, N64 in '97 and I've pretty much been PS exclusive ever since. With exception to the PC and Switch though.

Somewhere in there, I had "loaned" the 3DO, Jaguar, Phillps CDI, Mega drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, and Xbox 360 from friends on multiple occasions. Back in the time where people were more physically social and multiplayer basically meant a couch and friends swapped consoles. How different things are now, if you ask someone today to try out their console for a week they would look at you like you are trying to empty their bank account.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Kinda surprised that arcade is both so high and so low, lol.

I remember distinctly: on vacation in Florida, went to some arcade, played Primal Rage. I got a Genesis for Christmas that year, to play the home port.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Less than 1% of voters needed the "Another platform not listed" option. I consider that a success.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
Sega Master System I think. No idea what the game would have been. I can only really recall this top-down futuristic football type game.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Apple II here. Played Defender and Pac-Man on my Dad's APPLE II in all of its Green and Black glory.