• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
The campaign is easy, short, and totally forgettable. It's super unsatisfying as a single player. Pokémon wasn't always like this, and the big decline started in the 3DS era.

If you plan on playing battles against friends or randoms, then that seems to be where all the fun is.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I typically play by rotating Pokemon so all my boxes are roughly the same level. Even with jobs this keeps things relatively difficult. Got a few game overs and the "final boss" was pretty challenging.

Dec 11, 2017
I just picked it up and I'm not really enjoying it at all. Little to no Pokemon nostalgia isn't helping, but it just seems so backwards in comparison to 99% of games. Odd considering the financial muscle they have.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the game has much bigger issues than difficulty (though the fact that you can't turn exp. share off is baffling). The game is super rushed and the back half of the game shows that in spades. The seventh gym city is quite literally a straight line, I kid you not.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Lack of challenge was never an issue to me. Lack of features stripped from the series however is a big problem. Just don't go complaining about them or else you'll be accused of being a dirty Dexit elitist.

Jan 10, 2018
If you are not fond of core Pokemon traits, it probably ain't for you.

Lack of challenge was never an issue to me. Lack of features stripped from the series however is a big problem. Just don't go complaining about them or else you'll be accused of being a dirty Dexit elitist.

Being negative about Pokemon on a forum is such a lonesome challenge. Stay strong.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I have half the badges and don't really feel like it's easier than any other Pokémon games

It might be that I'm not over leveled since I can avoid random encounters
Maybe I would notice the game being easier if I was as overleveled as I likely was when I played other Pokémon games

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
There is little-to-no challenge. The gym leaders are cool. The environments, rivals, and dialogue are bad. I wouldn't spend the $60.

Dantendo

Oct 27, 2017
South Australia
First thing my 10 year old daughter said when she finished was "wow that was really easy" still didn't stop me from jumping in and playing.

I'm in it for the collecting aspect, I've played all apart from Black/White and Black/White 2 and none of the stories have been memorable since Gold/Silver.

Oct 25, 2017
Good discussion, don't have the game.

It's not true that you can say 'it's Pokemon, you already know if you like it or not and want the new one' like other game franchises.

Got questions myself, playing about five separate gens simultaneously right now though.

Oh and outside the OTs everything has been negative, don't kid yourselves.

Sep 25, 2018
I think I'm ok with most of Game Freak's design decisions, I even think the game looks decent (despite not running in 60fps), but what I'm really worrying about, besides the meaningless dialogue and lack of replay value, is the seemingly nonexistent difficulty.

I imagine collecting Pokemon can be fun nevertheless, but I generally don't care about the collecting aspect.

From what I've read, in order to make the game somewhat challenging, you have to go out of your way and create self-imposed challenges, e.g. Nuzlocke runs.

If you already played the game, did the difficulty bother you? Any helpful insights? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

not an expert or play all of the games from Pokémon

but the game is excellent that's just my opinion tho

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm ok with most of Game Freak's design decisions, I even think the game looks decent (despite not running in 60fps), but what I'm really worrying about, besides the meaningless dialogue and lack of replay value, is the seemingly nonexistent difficulty.

I imagine collecting Pokemon can be fun nevertheless, but I generally don't care about the collecting aspect.

From what I've read, in order to make the game somewhat challenging, you have to go out of your way and create self-imposed challenges, e.g. Nuzlocke runs.

If you already played the game, did the difficulty bother you? Any helpful insights? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Played through the game and it's a fucking cakewalk. Been playing Temtem the past few weeks and it reminds me of when I played Red and Blue.

If you want a challenge don't buy it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It did effect my enjoyment but I still ended up putting about 100 hours into the game. The stuff the game does well it does really well. I was really compelled to catch everything and it was pretty fun.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No, Pokemon never was hard, the appeal always was another.

And raids can be pretty hard, especially if you go by yourself. And online battles of course.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, doing Nuzlocke rules and no dynamaxing makes the gym leaders fairly challenging. But you very quickly outlevel stuff, without much effort. I really enjoyed it though, I really liked the tournament arc theme the story goes with and I liked all the "rivals" it's still Pokemon though so if you are just burnt out on the formula I can see you just losing interest quick.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Change battle mode to "set" and turn EXP share off
made even pokemon sun/moon somewhat challenging

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I rotated Pokemon around a lot, since a lot of different ones popped up as I went along. I think I had around 10-12 I was using throughout the game, keeping levels the same as opponents so it wouldn't get too easy... it still was, but I felt better about it.

It's still a good game and if you like other Pokemon games it should keep your interest.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I struggle to think about another JRPG that can get a pass for such a braindead story, lack of dungeons, linearity and lack of any challenge whatsoever. Like why bother with all that when gamefreak could develop something like pokemon showdown and be done with it?

It would even save them some money, the thing they are most interested in as we've seen with the pokemon home and dlc deals.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I think it would be hard to argue that playing Pokemon "straight" was about challenge anymore.

I quite enjoy doing Nuzlocke runs of older titles, never finished one though.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
It's a very easy Gen so far. It gives out exp left and right, and now with exp items up and down too. It's a very easy gen to get over leveled in just by catching what you want but there can be some "challenge" as with any pokemon game if you are not playing it going after weaknesses.

Not quite Let's Go easy but easier than Sun/Moon and X/Y by far. It's still a fun one though. I got my fill of it and thought it was a good purchase. I think the DLC coming down the pipe will sweeten the deal for sure.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Yes. I loved it at first and really liked the new QOL improvements and design decisions, but the lack of challenge really does put a hamper on things. Haven't bothered to finish it and moved on to other games. lol

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Even if you rotate more than 6 pokemon the game is braindead level of easy. It is clearly designed for children with low attention spans (as admitted by Masuda)

Get Temtem. Its strictly better in almost every aspect as a fun game. The only reason not to like it is if you really specifically want Pokemon designs.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Yes. Even if you rotate more than 6 pokemon the game is braindead level of easy. It is clearly designed for children with low attention spans (as admitted by Masuda)

Get Temtem. Its strictly better in almost every aspect as a fun game. The only reason not to like it is if you really specifically want Pokemon designs.

I agree Sw/Sh is very bad not just as a pokemon game, but an RPG in general.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't buy it. I made the mistake of buying a Switch Lite just to play it and, boy, have I regretted that decision ever since. It's just a bland, uninspired game. The difficulty of the main story is by far the least of its problems.

Change battle mode to "set" and turn EXP share off
made even pokemon sun/moon somewhat challenging

I'm not sure if you're being serious or joking.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I wouldn't buy it. I made the mistake of buying a Switch Lite just to play it and, boy, have I regretted that decision ever since. It's just a bland, uninspired game. The difficulty of the main story is by far the least of its problems.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or joking.
i don't have the new games (yet)
forgot it was automatic, that sucks

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Yes. Challenge in a game isn't particularly important to me, but a game at the very least should be difficult enough to command respect. Sword and Shield, conversely, is so easy that you don't have to pay any attention to the game - you can literally beat it by button mashing. As such, using any type of strategy in this game is a waste of time when button mashing can get the same outcome.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I certainly never felt like playing it again after beating the story for sure, which is a first for pokemon - i even endured sun/moon replays through the grit of my teeth, but at least i had something to look forward there.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
ya because there are so many battles

I haven't played a pokemon since like ruby until this one and I might never play one again. Just felt like it hadn't changed enough, too easy, bad story, and the text boxes for every turn were just pace killing. Like 8 text boxes per turn for what move happened, how it was recieved, what environment effect is active and then again for the enemy.

I don't play pokemon games anymore, so it aint for me, but it was a big release on the switch so I played it. I'm not sure if my perspective is of any use to you.

I did end up finishing it (but didn't play any after that).

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It's as difficult as you make it tbh. But I love collecting more than anything with these games so that's were my drive comes from.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yes. Challenge in a game isn't particularly important to me, but a game at the very least should be difficult enough to command respect. Sword and Shield, conversely, is so easy that you don't have to pay any attention to the game - you can literally beat it by button mashing. As such, using any type of strategy in this game is a waste of time when button mashing can get the same outcome.
Yeah I think it's the same for me. I don't need exceptional challenges to enjoy a game, but somewhat... engaging? or thought-provoking? gameplay should be a given.

ya because there are so many battles

I haven't played a pokemon since like ruby until this one and I might never play one again. Just felt like it hadn't changed enough, too easy, bad story, and the text boxes for every turn were just pace killing. Like 8 text boxes per turn for what move happened, how it was recieved, what environment effect is active and then again for the enemy.

I don't play pokemon games anymore, so it aint for me, but it was a big release on the switch so I played it. I'm not sure if my perspective is of any use to you.

I did end up finishing it (but didn't play any after that).
Thanks. These text boxes sound like a pain indeed.

Feb 20, 2019
Yeah I think it's the same for me. I don't need exceptional challenges to enjoy a game, but somewhat... engaging? or thought-provoking? gameplay should be a given.

Thanks. These text boxes sound like a pain indeed.
I noticed that you didn't like handholding, and I'm here to tell you that SwSh has as much handholding as Sun and Moon. The start of the game is so painfully slow...

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
There are easy things to do to prevent the game from being too easy (which I do naturally, but it doesn't seem to be the case of many people):

- unless you want to catch them, never fight wild Pokémon, ever. Simply run away, which is also faster

- in the settings, switch the battle mode to "Set" so you won't be able to switch your current Pokémon after you KO an opponent

- ignore Rare Candies and Exp. Candies completely, you can do a lot of raid battles (which don't grant any direct XP, which is great), but keep those for later

Enjoy.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Absolutely yes.

I am finding it incredibly dull, even putting on harsh rules to make it more interesting hasn't helped.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
There are easy things to do to prevent the game from being too easy (which I do naturally, but it doesn't seem to be the case of many people):

- unless you want to catch them, never fight wild Pokémon, ever. Simply run away, which is also faster

- in the settings, switch the battle mode to "Set" so you won't be able to switch your current Pokémon after you KO an opponent

- ignore Rare Candies and Exp. Candies completely, you can do a lot of raid battles (which don't grant any direct XP, which is great), but keep those for later

Enjoy.
Thanks for the tips. Although I don't like ignoring to fight Pokemon, as this is somewhat the point of the game.