• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I adore the OLED screen on my Samsung S10e and I adore the idea of owning a TV that looks just as good and is 55 inches across even more.

The one concern I have is burn-in. Has burn-in been addressed in the latest OLED models (B9, C9, etc.) or is it still a problem? I don't want to have to think about it at all. I want to be able to put 300 hours into a game I love and not worry about the HUD getting noticeably marked into the screen.

(the TV would only be used for gaming)

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
I've had a B6 for a few years. No burn-in whatsoever, but LG's lack of support has left me concerned about further upgrades. The last firmware with perfect black-levels (you know, the reason people buy OLED in the first place) was right after I bought it. Every other firmware supports better HDR, but doesn't have true black.

So I'm trapped on an old firmware.

Having said that, I can't imagine going back, so...

Burn in is super avoidable though. I don't watch sports or TV on it really, just lots of movies and games, but I don't even hide any of the interface.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda hard to have serious burn in, unless you're really into keeping static images in the screen. Playing a game, or watching movies wont really affect the screen. Having a TV logo during hours and hours, during days, might cause problem.

But in real use cases, it's hard.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I've had an OLED TV for years. No burn in. I don't really do anything to baby it either.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I have an LG model from 2018 and burn-in hasn't been a problem for me, though I'm always concerned about it. Lots of OLEDs should have some kind of screen refresh feature designed to erase or limit damage and I run that every time I play a game for more than a couple hours. I also tend to turn off static HUDs if they're immobile but not too many console games offer that feature.

If you're particularly concerned, just make sure your brightness settings are turned down a bit, minimize instances of static images being displayed on the TV for more than a few minutes and take advantage of the anti-burn in tools your consoles and TVs have.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
This sort of thread is about the fear of burn-in (something which I definitely suffer from). I would be very curious to see if owners of OLED Tvs would be willing to share some images of their TVs as they are now, using either the Magenta or Yellow screen style a la the burn-in test from RTings.com. That would go a long way towards allaying the fears of the people watching here (I would imagine).

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Had one nearly a year and not a smidge of image retention or burn in yet

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
LG C8 - Bought in September
I check periodically, but nothing so far. I have the bestbuy warranty that covers burn in just in case. But I hear LG is very good with covering burn in out of warrently.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
LG C7 here. Not a single issue after two years plus of gaming and streaming. I have 300 hours in smash and I don't see anything where the character icons are or the timer. Hundreds of hours in other games and no issues. Sometimes I can see some image retention but it goes away in seconds.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Not yet, got it on Black Friday
It had a bright pixel but I used the pixel refresher and it fixed it

I should say that I don't play a lot of games on it. My son will occasionally play Apex or Minecraft I usually watch movies and TV on it

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
I've had a C7 for more than two years, and got burn in a couple months ago. A blue-ish smudge is visible right where Netflix subtitles are. I had been babysitting the shit out of the TV, taking all the precautions. It's devastating.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

My LG OLED B6 has a Tetris 99 board burned on it, always.

It's a pain to see when some solid colors are on my TV. I'm definitely going back to LCD once I change this one, it was awesome in the beginning and then became a bitter investment/experience.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my B8 for a year and a half, I've yet to get any. Although I don't watch CNN on it anymore and I tend to put on a screen saver when I pause a show/movie.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't, it's a B7. I kind of babied it when I first got it, but after that I really haven't treated it any differently that the last couple TVs I've had.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Nope. Have a Sony 65" A8F, still going strong. Had a 55 LG B6(forget the exact model) that I gave to my brother and that one still going strong too.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I have a C7 and have not had any issues with burn in. I'll get another OLED by Sony,LG or Vizio when next gen comes around.

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
Yes, I've had my E6 for about 4 years and I have burn in from the YouTube app; specifically from the red YouTube logo and the yellow search button. It is surprising since 90% of the time I'm gaming and when I watch YouTube I don't spend a lot of time browsing for videos which is the only time the logo and search button is visible.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Have a B7 for years with thousands of hours and no burn in from what I can tell. Don't play games much but do watch lots of cable news and sports on it. I think it's important to have your brightness at reasonable levels (mine is around 40, still plenty bright) if you're gonna have static content on screen for long durations.

edit - I'll add that I do get temporary IR in HDR modes if it's like white text on dark backgrounds that's been left up for a bit (not subtitles). It goes away quickly however. The banding in dark gray issues that plagued the x7 line were more apparent when I first got the TV. I don't even notice them anymore so I think it's diminished.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
OKC
I have a LG C8 65", have had it over a year. 0 burn in and haven't ever even noticed any image retention. I only ever have it on when I'm watching stuff or playing something though. I turn it off even if I'm just pausing for a couple minutes.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Has burn in been an issue for me? No. Is it always on my mind? Yes.

Here's your answer: judging by your post, you aren't one who will be able to simply put it in the back of your mind and ignore the burn in. It CAN still be an issue, that is a proven fact. I doubt you will ever stop worrying about it. HOWEVER, it is absolutely worth it to have the TV, even if you are worrying.

tldr, get it. You won't regret it.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
I am starting to experience issues with my 2016 C6 which is a bummer as it's obviously not going to get better from hereon.

Only clearly noticable when running full colour patterns at the moment, mind, so still not really bothersome for everyday viewing... unless there's loads of red on screen.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Owned a B7A for a couple of years and now a C9 and neither TV so far has any issues with burn in. It's an overblown concern especially with the 8 and 9 series.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I've had my OLED for 3 years and it's burn-in free. My kids for sure try their best, with marathon Minecraft sessions, haha.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I can see the Destiny UI in the lower left corner. Nasty burn in. Mostly visible during red-ish colors shown on the display. It's hard to get a good picture of it, but you can see it below.

vclzEMN.png

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope I have 2 of them and looking to get a third. Best TVs ever. Also I game on mines daily. No issues at all.

Oct 25, 2017
No, but I do have one burning white pixel in a really annoying place that literally sticks around for awhile even after the tv shuts off. Pretty bummed about it, but nothing I can do but deal with it.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
My E6 has part of the Overwatch HUD burned into it. Mainly visible when there is red on the screen.

I did play it a lot, but I also watched a lot of movies and TV and played some Dark Souls 3 and such also.

Probably still replace it with a new OLED in a year or two...just be more careful. Plasma ownership and fears of burn in there being overblown made me overconfident I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Lg B7 owner here. No burn-in after almost two years of use. I usually don't let it idle though and even then, LG has a screensaver that pops up.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing. Can you say how long you've had the TV/how much time you've put in on Destiny?

Around 3000 hours in total. But I'm not sure how much was on my old TV. I bought this TV in January 2017, Destiny launched in 2014. Destiny 2 in 2017. More than half of the played hours was Destiny 1 on the old TV.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
B7 for 2.5 years and no issues. I do hope it craps out in the next two years though, so I can use my BB warranty for an upgrade lol.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LG C8 here and I frequently get image retention any time I run the backlight at full brightness (HDR). I'll get retention if it idles at the Apple TV home screen for less than two minutes. It sucks and has really soured me on OLED as a whole.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
No and I don't baby it either. Had my C6 3 years. Left games/TV shows on pause for long periods thanks to my daughter pausing everything before dinner and zero signs of burn in.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
None yet on my B7, but I'm pretty careful with it. I tend to watch things like news and sports (situations where there are often static elements) on my X900E instead. My B7 is mostly for games and movies and no single game has gotten a particularly excessive amount of hours on it.

I do watch YouTube videos on it sometimes, which worries me a bit based on what others have reported (here and elsewhere) about YouTube causing burn-in.

Due to my careful use, I actually have a relatively low amount of total hours on it. Some might say I'm being too careful, but the X900E is a good set on its own, so no reason not to just use that in situations I'm concerned about and not have to worry.