Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.macrumors.com

OLED iPad Pros Could Start From $1,500, Rising to as Much as $2,000

Apple's upcoming OLED iPad Pro will start at $1,500, rising to between $1,800 and $2,000 depending on size and configuration,...

This is the second time a Korean source has claimed that Apple's new iPad Pros will be vastly more expensive that the company's existing models. Last March, a report by The Elec estimated prices starting at $1,500 and $1,800 for the 11-inch and 13-inch models, respectively.

The $2,000 figure for the 13-inch model in the latest report could refer to a new, higher storage capacity offered by Apple, although that would actually present a slightly lower top-end price – the current 12.9-inch iPad Pro maxed out at 2TB starts from $2,100, depending on Wi-Fi or cellular configuration.
At that price why not just get a pimped out laptop?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Even by Apple standards, almost doubling the current iPad Pro prices feels out of the realm of possibility. I feel like this has happened before, where ludicrous pricing rumors went wild, which made the inevitable smaller (but still substantial) price bumps feel like a win.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I don't think so. Apple doesn't really raise prices like that unless they are introducing a whole new segment.
Maybe a 18" ipad?

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Damn, I love my iPad but I would never pay that much for one. For that kind of money I would want a fully tricked out gaming PC which is future proof for the next 3 or 4 years at least.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
good time to capitolize on wacom fucking up by using AI art in one of their ads.

Are these tablets a good stand-in for a wacom and can they even be used in that way?

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I'm still perfectly fine with my 12.9 iPad Pro 2021. I don't see myself buying another one for many more years. It'll probably be like $4000 dollars when I buy another one. Lol.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
give me a 13" Ipad air. I don't need the pro features and while oled is nice, I can live without it. I just want a bigger screen for consumption

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
www.macrumors.com

OLED iPad Pros Could Start From $1,500, Rising to as Much as $2,000

Apple's upcoming OLED iPad Pro will start at $1,500, rising to between $1,800 and $2,000 depending on size and configuration,...

At that price why not just get a pimped out laptop?

If you add the magic keyboard with trackpad the 12.9 is already more expensive than many laptops..

uk prices - 12.9" with 512GB storage, pencil and magic keyboard is £1887. Basically the same price as the 14" MBP with M3 or only £200 less than the new 14" MBP with M3 pro.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Please no, Tim Apple. I won't bother getting one if that's the case despite wanting an OLED iPad for years. These prices are already ridiculous as is.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
good time to capitolize on wacom fucking up by using AI art in one of their ads.

Are these tablets a good stand-in for a wacom and can they even be used in that way?

Yeah, for sure. I've been using mine to do professional illustrations on since 2017.
Procreate is amazing.

Maybe it isn't a substitute for some of the really large high end Wacoms but it's amazing for drawing with.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Never once have I looked at my incredible iPad Pro screen and thought "this needs AT LEAST $400 better screen on here"…

I'm sure it will be nicer but jeez.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I will be jumping from a 5th generation iPad to this. While I don't love the price increase, I certainly want that nice, big OLED screen... though hopefully with better QC than on the iPhone 15 Pro Max. My battery widget burned-in after only a couple months of use; never had a burn-in issue on any other Apple OLED device including ones with always-on displays.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
For comparison a Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 costs 1800€ here (Almost $2000) and it has nowhere the same performance and quality as the current iPad Pro does.

OLED version would blow it out of the water at 1500€ or something.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
It would be genuinely ridiculous to charge that much while also hamstringing the thing with iPad OS.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
New "iPad Ultra" with oled. "Ultra Max" for a new 13" OLED. Just like RAM upgrades, you get to pay a $250 Apple tax for each new word in the name.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
For comparison a Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 costs 1800€ here (Almost $2000) and it has nowhere the same performance and quality as the current iPad Pro does.

OLED version would blow it out of the water at 1500€ or something.
Honestly if that's their primary competition when it comes to the professional art scene making an expensive high end one makes a lot of sense.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, pricey. I love my iPAd Pro, I got a higher end model for ~$1200 a year or two ago. It's an excellent device.

I don't think the use cases to a laptop really cross over, like I use my Macbook pro (and work MBA) for different things, but at that price point it's kinda hard to justify a really professional ipad. Other than art, I don't think there's any pro things that iPAd pro's do that MacBook Airs and MacBook pros don't do better. The "pro" use cases seem like really cool things -- a musician/DJ/whatever, a professional artist, etc -- but those aren't really practical pro applications that appeal to more people. At $1200 it's fine for me to buy the pro and the pencil, but at $2000 that's a different price bracket.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
An insane price for an iPad. I like the device, but it's not terribly useful...
You could by a MacBook Pro for this price.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank fuck I don't have kids demanding Apple products. The prices are just ludicrous

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only ipad I like/want these days is the mini and they treat that like the redhead stepchild of ipads that it is, so I don't think I need to worry about new features making the price super expensive.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My 2018 iPad Pro 11in is still running perfectly well, besides the battery not lasting as long as it used to.

I'll honestly probably just get the battery replaced someday rather than get a new iPad, the screen is gorgeous even if it is LCD, and I haven't had a single issue running any apps in the years I've had it. To be fair I don't really play AAA games, or heavy image/video editing, but I also probably wouldn't use a tablet for that stuff anyways.

Oct 29, 2017
Thank fuck I don't have kids demanding Apple products. The prices are just ludicrous
Keep in mind this is for the Pro, not a standard iPad. The Pro is their full laptop replacement specc'd iPad, with the ability to run stuff like DaVinci Resolve, Final Cut, Logic Pro, etc.

I'm typing to you from the generation before this rumored one. I went with the 12.9 inch, 1 TB, Magic Keyboard, and Apple Pencil and it came to a lil over $2k… which is about as much as I was gonna spend on a laptop had I decided I wanted to go with a laptop. But I didn't want a laptop, I wanted something in a form factor I can goof around with like a tablet, and switch to laptop mode when I wanted.

All rumors seem to be pointing towards the new iPad Pro being *even more* of a laptop like solution, with a bigger screen size, M3, etc. For that the pricing seems in line for me, especially if they're positioning it against a MacBook Pro

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Being able to lay on my couch and work on photos is an experience a laptop cannot replicate. But I'm not sure I'd need to upgrade from my 1TB M1 Pro just for OLED.

I just wish this thing got the desktop versions of Lightroom and Photoshop. It feels intentionally hamstrung in some ways due to trying to keep the UI mobile friendly.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
I would cop. The 13 inch iPad was sooo worth it.

A 13 inch oled would be a dream for ps5 remote play and movies while on the go.

DO IT APPLE!

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I use my iPad for content consumption for at least 3 hours a day, every day. I want the best, biggest screen and audio (speakers) possible. What's the alternative?

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
My 2018 iPad Pro 11in is still running perfectly well, besides the battery not lasting as long as it used to.

I'll honestly probably just get the battery replaced someday rather than get a new iPad, the screen is gorgeous even if it is LCD, and I haven't had a single issue running any apps in the years I've had it. To be fair I don't really play AAA games, or heavy image/video editing, but I also probably wouldn't use a tablet for that stuff anyways.

In the exact same boat as you - my 2018 11" iPad Pro is working great minus the battery over so many years. I'd absolutely upgrade to the OLED iPad Pro for $1K but not much more than that because $1500 is super expensive and almost double the price of the current 2022 11" iPad Pro M2.

chewman

alt account
Banned
Dec 30, 2022
I have a Pro M2 and I actually thought it was too much money already at this point... I'm probably just a dumb ass who shoulda bought the Air but I freakin hate that they lock away 120hz to an $1100 (CAD) device.

I might actually look at the Samsung tablets for OLED and high refresh rate in the future if Apple is looking at doing $1500 USD Pro. I literally don't use this for anything but watching movies and browsing the web.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind this is for the Pro, not a standard iPad. The Pro is their full laptop replacement specc'd iPad, with the ability to run stuff like DaVinci Resolve, Final Cut, Logic Pro, etc.

I'm typing to you from the generation before this rumored one. I went with the 12.9 inch, 1 TB, Magic Keyboard, and Apple Pencil and it came to a lil over $2k… which is about as much as I was gonna spend on a laptop had I decided I wanted to go with a laptop. But I didn't want a laptop, I wanted something in a form factor I can goof around with like a tablet, and switch to laptop mode when I wanted.

All rumors seem to be pointing towards the new iPad Pro being *even more* of a laptop like solution, with a bigger screen size, M3, etc. For that the pricing seems in line for me, especially if they're positioning it against a MacBook Pro
That's fair enough but let's just say my income level doesn't really put Apple as something that's even remotely feasible due to their pricing. If I was gonna splash 2k on a tablet that would be about 15% of mine and wife's yearly income lol.

Don't get me wrong we save up and have higher end tech. We'll be buying new phones in the next few weeks for one, but even then both of us upgrading is gonna come in under 2k. Apple have basically ensured I never consider them though as the price tag is always sky high for me personally.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland

Yeah these are actual professional devices suited for work.

It's a modern problem that everyone must always have the best version even if the baseline if plenty enough for their use, like media or web surfing.

Even the base specced iPad's are monsters compared to the competition.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Same here. I love my 2018 Pro. It was great when I got it and it's still great today. Thinking about it, maybe I would be willing to pay $1500 for an OLED one if it's a great device that I'll use often for 5+ years like I have with my current one. But I think my 2018 still has 1-2 years in it.