Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
That's your opinion and it's perfectly valid. As is mine. This is a purely subjective topic.

My only issue here is people thinking any critics of this song choice are either racist, anti-hip-hop or unable to understand music.

And BTW it's 'piqued'. Not trying to be a dick but I thought you might like to know for future reference.
Go take in "Issa" and see if you don't come around on the music. The new album is dropping soon too.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So another reason I don't think the song is landing like it's supposed to is because they basically chopped off all the low-end and the high-end, which hurts the "impact" of the song.

Given that the song is probably produced by Metro, his instrumentals tend to be big low bass coupled with a high-end lead instrument. So the way the song is mixed for the trailer makes it sound flat because everything is squished into the mid-range to presumably let the hits from the fighting lead the audio in the trailer.

Combine that with 21 Savage's usual monotone delivery and I can easily see why some aren't liking it; they'd rather have something that complements energy-wise. Others like the contrast, so I guess it depends on the person. The lyrics at least match the tone, so that's good.

The song itself is probably mixed much better than this, or at least I hope it is.

rappers love ric flair

yeah I know

I'm just surprised Ric Flair agreed to be in the video

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Dear fucking god, between the "it isn't music" and "modern rap is trash, remember the good old days where Nas and Biggie existed" comments, I'm going to blow a goddamn gasket... y'all are just a bunch of close-minded folks with no desire to try and understand things outside of your limited worldview... If you can't explain your point, you deserve to get a warning or something because you're making sweeeping generalizations about something you know close to nothing about. Just because you listen to Nas and Biggie doesn't mean you know everything about hip-hop.

I'd understand your point if it was aimed at people who didn't like rap in general, but you're really going to shit on people who do like it and have preference for certain artists just because they don't hop on to whatever the latest bandwagon is?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd understand your point if it was aimed at people who didn't like rap in general, but you're really going to shit on people who do like it and have preference for certain artists just because they don't hop on to whatever the latest bandwagon is?
Eh, it's no different than older hip-hop fans and artists of today who dislike the new generation of artists due to their new styles. It's no different than people hating on Snoop Dogg back in the day due to his style. It's no different than people having on T-Pain, Wayne and many others who came into the game with their own styles. Same thing with people hating grunge back then when it came out.

Yeah people had an opinion but on that same token those artists who were hated on not only had their own fanbase but they were part of the new generation which took over and today looking back at it those artists shouldn't have been hated. This happens all the time when it comes to music. It's nothing new.

People can have their own preference when it comes to artists but to say things like "this isn't music", "I can't see how anyone could like this" and all those other comments? Yeah, that's just messed up and attacking those that do enjoy it for specific reasons.

People have a problem saying "hey I don't like it, if you do then that's cool do you, it's just not for me" and rather than saying that they attack what they dislike and in turn they attack who likes it. That's just not good.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I get it. You're one of the good ones, the people that has an appreciation for all time periods of hip-hop. But, your existence doesn't automatically mean that if you listen to said artists, you understand hip-hop. Just look at the sheer number of people circlejerking around '90s hip-hop, ignoring the fact the 90s also brought us Kriss Kross, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Young MC and more. This hypocrisy to exalt the 90s and condemn the 2010s while ignoring the pop hits and the critically acclaimed rappers respectively is infuriating.

You may not like 21 Savage, but 21 Savage has proven himself to be one of the best of this new wave of hip-hop. Both 21 Savage and the wave he's included in can directly trace its lineage to the days of Three 6ix Mafia and Tommy Wright III. People want to talk out of their ass about how "rap isn't a legitimate genre" and "its so easy to make a trap, lmao look at this le funny Snoop Dogg meme", without understanding where trap comes from or why people understand it.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Look, I get it. You're one of the good ones, the people that has an appreciation for all time periods of hip-hop. But, your existence doesn't automatically mean that if you listen to said artists, you understand hip-hop. Just look at the sheer number of people circlejerking around '90s hip-hop, ignoring the fact the 90s also brought us Kriss Kross, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Young MC and more. This hypocrisy to exalt the 90s and condemn the 2010s while ignoring the pop hits and the critically acclaimed rappers respectively is infuriating.

You may not like 21 Savage, but 21 Savage has proven himself to be one of the best of this new wave of hip-hop. Both 21 Savage and the wave he's included in can directly trace its lineage to the days of Three 6ix Mafia and Tommy Wright III. People want to talk out of their ass about how "rap isn't a legitimate genre" and "its so easy to make a trap, lmao look at this le funny Snoop Dogg meme", without understanding where trap comes from or why people understand it.

Why does this matter in the context of the trailer though? You can like the track itself and whatever genre of music it falls under and not like how it fits with this trailer.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017

To go along with that I can easily see why people like 21 Savage. He's not as clear as Eminem when he raps but he's not a mumble rapper either and he's from the South so when his raps his pronunciation of words can fit in with anyone these days given the South runs things. He actually has lyrics that fit in well within today's climate as he's a street rapper who means what he says. Charlamagne said it perfectly when he said that while he's not all lyrical when he says something he has conviction to what he says. He makes trap music. His flows are catchy and his quotables are easy for others to latch onto.

Lastly his style of delivery fits in perfect for the vibe that people are into these days. I've seen a lot of people say that it doesn't have the "energy" or "hypeness" that other rappers, songs or trailers have but that's the thing, most of the mainstream today has this vibe to it and this vibe is what really gets people excited about current hip-hop. That vibe isn't screaming on tracks loudly, that vibe isn't rapping mutis upon multis, that vibe is that laidback and chill atmosphere that all it takes is one movement and people can get rowdy if need be. I've seen people fight it out during a vibe like this and on that same token I've seen people chill on this same vibe, it's a wave. That's the energy people are on. That's the type of energy that gets people into something similar to how the rock of the 3D MKs got people into it.

Overall 21's perfect for today's hip-hop.

If people don't like it then cool, they don't have to like it. I can easily see why most today do though. Me, a man born in the South and has grown up with hip-hop since before elementary, I can easily latch onto his music because he's giving me that "riding down the street at 11PM, hope I make it home ok" slightly dangerous vibe.

What they were going for with this trailer is the whole "MK, the cool fighter, is back yall, let's get it." Fits with me.

Marauder85

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Auckland, NZ
Look, I get it. You're one of the good ones, the people that has an appreciation for all time periods of hip-hop. But, your existence doesn't automatically mean that if you listen to said artists, you understand hip-hop...

But, equally, if you do understand hip-hop, it doesn't mean your opinion about this trailer is any more valid than someone who doesn't. The OP and many of the reasonable critics in this thread aren't criticising the track or hip-hop in general. It's simply a criticism of the trailer's use of it.

I don't (or at least didn't) listen to a lot of genres in Tarantino films but the music he chooses almost always fits. You don't need to be a fan of a song or genre to appreciate when it's used well.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does this matter in the context of the trailer though? You can like the track itself and whatever genre of music it falls under and not like how it fits with this trailer.
But, equally, if you do understand hip-hop, it doesn't mean your opinion about this trailer is any more valid than someone who doesn't. The OP and many of the reasonable critics in this thread aren't criticising the track or hip-hop in general. It's simply a criticism of the trailer's use of it.
It does because look at the critiques:
  • Awful music, didn't fit the trailer at all. But I'm biased as I don't like the genre at all.
  • New hip hop or whatever is being used is absolutely painful to listen to.
  • Garbage music
  • itt: soundcloud rapper defence force
  • The mumble rap was awful. Can't believe this is what rap has become.
  • I love hip-hop. I've been to like 5 hip hop concerts this year. I have nothing against hip-hop. This song still sucks. Generic half-finished beat and thin-voiced low-energy rapping.
  • I noped out of that trailer as soon as that shite started playing.
  • Don't like Hip Hop so my pov is skewed, no the song didn't fit the trailer.

And this is just from the past 5 pages. While there are folks detailing why they think the song is a bad fit, there's a substantial amount of folks saying the trailer doesn't fit because they don't like the song, its artist, or the movement it is coming from. While there are many reasonable critics, the vast majority of the posts here are saying the trailer doesn't work because the song sucks.

And even with those critics saying "it doesn't fit the pacing of the trailer", someone who actually understood the pacing broke down why the track works earlier in the thread.

Marauder85

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Auckland, NZ
It does because look at the critiques:
  • Awful music, didn't fit the trailer at all. But I'm biased as I don't like the genre at all.
  • New hip hop or whatever is being used is absolutely painful to listen to.
  • Garbage music
  • itt: soundcloud rapper defence force
  • The mumble rap was awful. Can't believe this is what rap has become.
  • I love hip-hop. I've been to like 5 hip hop concerts this year. I have nothing against hip-hop. This song still sucks. Generic half-finished beat and thin-voiced low-energy rapping.
  • I noped out of that trailer as soon as that shite started playing.
  • Don't like Hip Hop so my pov is skewed, no the song didn't fit the trailer.

And this is just from the past 5 pages. While there are folks detailing why they think the song is a bad fit, there's a substantial amount of folks saying the trailer doesn't fit because they don't like the song, its artist, or the movement it is coming from.

Some (maybe even most) of the criticism is unfair, but not all of it. The stuff you listed is pretty poor. But not the OP, and not many of us trying to defend our point. Saying a lack of knowledge of hip-hop or 'we're all old fashioned white people' is pretty offensive and as poor a criticism as the ones you have listed. I'm not saying you're saying that but others have and that's my only reason for continuing this discussion.

The problem with threads like this is that too many opinions are thrown around and it's hard to keep track of who said what so only the poor arguments on either side stand out.

While there are many reasonable critics, the vast majority of the posts here are saying the trailer doesn't work because the song sucks.

I think that can be a valid criticism - not mine, I just don't think it suits the mood of the trailer. Disliking one hip-hop track doesn't mean you dislike that style of hip-hop. It just means you don't enjoy that particular track. I'm a big Beatles fan (as you can see) and I will happily say there are a few of their songs that I think are awful. It doesn't mean I hate them or the genre of music they played.

Some people are getting really defensive and being offended on behalf of hip-hop as if criticism of some tracks is a personal affront to them. It's weird.

And even with those critics saying "it doesn't fit the pacing of the trailer", someone who actually understood the pacing broke down why the track works earlier in the thread

For them. But fitting rhythmically or lyrically doesn't mean it factually fits the trailer. Its tone and delivery are subjective and evidently debatable.

Last edited:

Gamespawn

Oct 25, 2017
ya'll still talking about the music?! Wow. The trailer was fire and so was the music. Mood, tempo, the beat. Everything was was executed. If you didn't like it, that's fine.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the song.

So i turned the volume down and watched the trailer, and thought it was really good.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I wanted a faster more hype rapper on the track like JID or Uzi. He was mumbling then it was lowered too so it was pointless besides the beat. Well damn it couldve been worse -- Migos, Kodak, Yachty....

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
For them. But fitting rhythmically or lyrically doesn't mean it factually fits the trailer. Its tone and delivery are subjective and evidently debatable.
Eh, that's no different than people saying that Snoop's delivery wasn't accurate of a gang banger or even people a decade ago saying that Wayne's delivery was debatable given his voice was causing problems. It's no different than people saying "Thug's vocals aren't working." At the end of the day it's not designed for you and those it is designed for they can break down why it works for them and their crowd. It's basically looking in on an entire group and saying "nah I don't like that and this is why" even though those who listen to it can hear it and say "yeah man I've got no issues with it at all and here's why everything works for me."

You can debate it but it happens in every genre and sub-genre of music as long as music's been around. Hip-hop as a whole went through this when it was invented and people were saying "nah, they're not singing, they're just rhyming with no great instrumentation and I don't like that."

Last edited:

Marauder85

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Auckland, NZ
Eh, that's no different than people saying that Snoop's delivery wasn't accurate of a gang banger or even people a decade ago saying that Wayne's delivery was debatable given his voice was causing problems. It's no different than people saying "Thug's vocals aren't working." At the end of the day it's not designed for you and those it is designed for they can break down why it works for them and their crowd. It's basically looking in on an entire group and saying "nah I don't like that and this is why" even though those who listen to it can hear it and say "yeah man I've got no issues with it at all and here's why everything works for me."

You can debate it but it happens in every genre and sub-genre of music as long as music's been around. Hip-hop as a whole went through this when it was invented and people were saying "nah, they're not singing, I don't like that."

But, again, I'm not debating the track itself. I'm debating its use in this trailer. The trailer is aimed at all potential players of the game, not just modern hip-hip fans.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
But, again, I'm not debating the track itself. I'm debating its use in this trailer. The trailer is aimed at all potential players of the game, not just modern hip-hip fans.
NRS is a smart company. They were aiming for a particular group of people with this trailer which is why they chose that song. Judging the responses from those they were aiming at they made the right choice, most I'm seeing enjoy it. They're already getting the MK and fighting game fans, makes sense to get the others who aren't locked in.

Nov 7, 2017
its crazy how much people care about one trailer out of how many mk11 will have and everyone on the planet will forget about when the next one releases just because it has rap music in it. Haha

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
The song by itself was okay, but it didn't match the action of the trailer well. Not nearly enough energy in the music itself, especially the beat.
Same as my feelings, I have no problem with the song but compare it to Rage 2 having Danny Brown which fits the craziness perfectly, this just felt a bit low key for Mortal Kombat

Oct 31, 2017
In this case the song doesn't need to match the tempo of the action. It fits well with the brutality being showcased on screen without overshadowing it.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it matched really well. The laid back intensity of the music was a good contrast with the over-the-top intesity of the action.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
I just don't think that is a fair comparison. This isn't like someone who can't play music telling someone who can that they aren't in time - while actually being mistaken in that criticism. Songs evoke feelings. Hardly anyone doesn't get manipulated by music yet most people probably don't have to ability to make it or understand its technical intricacies.

There's nothing you need to to understand about music to enjoy this trailer. You just have to be emotionally pulled in by it. I found this song choice jarring and it stood out in a way that took me out of the intended message of the trailer. It that sense, it didn't fit for me. No amount of facts about timing or lyrical relevance can change that feeling.

"Rap is real something you feel". Wasnt "feeling" the lethargic flow paired with a brutal fight to death. Congratulations on him name dropping Liu Kang. I guess that was supposed to be enough for me to think it fit the trailer.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's way better hip hop that fits fighting games. This was sleepy mumbling. Ice T and Body Count would have been AWESOME to have as hip hop fight music for a MK game. This song had NO energy. Sounds like the guy is about to fall asleep.

I love hip hop, but this wasn't it for me. Just because someone doesn't like a hip hop song doesn't mean they don't like hip hop.

Give me something like this, but tie it into MK. Some Immortal Technique would be fine too. Give me people who can actually give that energy of survival. Hell Ice T loves video games. I'm sure he would have been more than happy to lay a track down for this.

Last edited:

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like 21 and hated this. It's not even the song. It's the mix. Most rap sounds weird with no highs, no lows, and the thin shell of what used to be a beat so low you can't hear it anyway.

I'd say that was probably the worst sounding commercial I've experieced. I absolutely hated it. I need to go listen to this song by itself now.

Edit: looks like it's not available yet, gotta wait

plateaux

Oct 27, 2017
New England
It's not like this music is going to be in the actual game. And you know it. So who really cares what they use in a teaser trailer? It's a marketing tool.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
NRS is a smart company. They were aiming for a particular group of people with this trailer which is why they chose that song. Judging the responses from those they were aiming at they made the right choice, most I'm seeing enjoy it. They're already getting the MK and fighting game fans, makes sense to get the others who aren't locked in.
This trailer has me thinking about buying Mortal Kombat 11 and I don't usually play fighting games. Hell, if the song was actually in-game I definitely would.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Hip hop and fighting games are a match.

That song and my ears not so much.

This. I think some of the most epic trailers have had remixed rap music (with and without lyrics) but this particular song and this footage felt like they didn't go together. It is like how once upon a time many trailers used Kanye West's Power. That is basically because the lyrics and the music fit well. I think another artist could have been better. I am sure Joyner could have made something amazing for this.

I never knew this existed. This is great!

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The more I listen to it, the more I like it.

Especially the transition after the fatality.