• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Blast processing for a new generation.
Why do you say this?
There are at least 5 great posts describing what it is before your post in this thread, that explains that it's a very straight forward term for calculation power. It says a whole lot more than MHz does about how powerful a device is.
Or is it a joke? In that case why do you make the same joke as many people before you?

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
a flop is nothing more than a single mathematical operation, how many mathematical operations it can do on non-whole numbers per second. Processors have more operations than just rote mathematics they can do on non-whole numbers, usually combined into complex operations. These complex operations can use more or less floating point operations to accomplish a similar task depending on architecture, compiler optimization, and task at hand. Its much the same way one can rewrite a single math problem in multiple ways. Like how:

(5*2) + (5*2) + (5*2) = 30 is 5 operations, while (5*2)*3 = 30 is the exact same math, but only 3 operations. Say this was part of a larger calculation on two processors, and processor A does things the former way, and Processor B does things the latter way. And while Processor A can perform more FLOPs, the complex operations it is doing takes more FLOPS to accomplish for the same task.

Really, FLOPS are a very, very poor metric for performance. I've compared it before, but it's like comparing the "power" of two authors in terms of number of pen strokes per second they can put on paper. Author A can put 10 times more pen strokes per second than Author B, does that mean Author A can write better than author B? What does "better" even mean in this instance? In this example, we don't even account for language being written, say Author B writes in Hanji/Kanji and thus every single character takes like 8-9 strokes each, while author B writes in english in cursive, and thus each individual word only takes 1 pen stroke each. Who can write more in that instance, despite author A having more pen-strokes per second?

Things to keep in mind:

A) Floating point math isn't only done in the GPU, CPUs crunch floating point math just as often

B) Ultimately, it's the program written that is using the floating point math. There are ways, for example, to avoid floating point math all together in circumstances.

C) there is also non floating point math which can have different cycles per operations.

Other things to keep in mind: the metrics put forward are FLOPS under the most ideal of circumstance, i.e. every register filled to maximize SIMD performance. There are modes in many processors, for example, which will reserve registers not always available for different tasks. There are always trade offs. There might be instances, like to avoid a cache-miss, where intentionally using every register available isn't very wise.
Good post. :thumbs up:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because if you compare a couple of PC GPUs with each other you'll realize that it's a worthless performance metric for games. It's why Nvidia & AMD never really advertised it either before this gen.

I think part of the reason it became popular is because it's an easy to understand thing for non technical people, which most console users are. Bigger is better is a very simple concept. Too bad it just doesn't work that way.

You call it worthless, but didn't the difference in TF between XB1 and PS4 largely correlate with the difference in resolution for most multiplat titles?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
1993 - the first Ridge Racer arcade game, the hardware that ran it was capable of 400 MFLOPS which is 0.4 GFLOPS.

94O0PAb.jpg

The original PlayStation did not even use floating point math, so 0 FLOPS. Same for Sega Saturn.

The Nintendo 64, its CPU could do 100 MFLOPS and its GPU could also do 100 MFLOPS.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
All that matters is that it's high. Ideally, higher on your preferred console/ecosystem than the other one, so you feel warm inside that you swore fealty to the right corporate overlord.

Seriously though, it's a measure of computational power that isn't necessarily indicative of the fidelity of games that will run on the hardware. It doesn't matter all that much in the end.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget the second half of last gen the Xbox X was the most powerful console and Sony had no problem continuing to dominate sales. The first xbox was stronger then the ps2 and 3rd party games were better on the 360. Power don't decide shit.
I'm not saying anything about the link between teraflops and sales numbers. Sony said it was something important to consider when buying a PS4. The higher number meant better graphics but now it doesn't mean better graphics.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's basically how fast a car can go. It makes sense if you're putting two cars built using the same components, but one has more hp than the other.

That said, most people don't buy a car to run it on a straight track. Handling, control, acceleration are all factors that matter when it comes to performance.

PS4 and Xbox were very similar, therefore PS4 ended up being faster, although one must admit it was not really 40% faster (the difference in Tflops)

Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are not very similar, and as a consequence you can see that sometimes the One X can double the performance of a PS4 Pro, by having roughly 40% more power.

PS5 and Xbox Series X are really different, one going for a bigger but slower engine, one going for a smaller but faster one. Theoretically, the Xbox Series X GPU is 16% faster than the PS4 GPU at full speed. On top of that, if something was using 100% of CPU and GPU, you would see the Xbox series X being probably around 25 - 30% faster depending on how much the PS5 limits the GPU frequency (Cerny said it was just around 2 - 3%, but we'll see about that). But that is rarely the case, not many non first party games will push both CPU and GPU that much, especially multiplats.

How does this translate realistically to a game? If you're targeting 4K 60fps on a PS5, the XSX might be able to run the same game at around 75fps, at best.
A game that targets 30 fps? Be ready for an extra 8 fps. This is the best case scenario where both the CPU and GPU are pushed to 100%.

But why would Sony do that?

Their chip is cheaper. They spent a lot in RD, but their chip is cheaper. That should translate to a cheaper console, with its own advantages that we love to ignore or play down (who needs faster loading times, said the guy that completely ignored what Mark Cenry took 50 minutes to explain).

But nothing beats Teraflops as a way to make fun of the other team. My Xbox Series X will have a bigger D...isk than your PS5. HA!

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Having a big number to list as your peak compute performance doesn't mean all software released on the hardware will take advantage of it properly

Miggytronz

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
can someone break down the following in terms of current on the shelf PC Parts. So this TFlops thing makes more sense to me.

PS5 = *this GPU/CPU (roughly)
XSX = *this GPU/CPU (roughly)

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Like any complex systems, bottlenecks happen. High TF won't mean jack if the rest of the system is slow.

Disc speeds, drive speeds, these things matter too.

This sounds like a stealth Sony defense post, but I have no idea who's got what FLOPS, or faster drive or anything. Just pointing out what Cerny said has merits.

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
can someone break down the following in terms of current on the shelf PC Parts. So this TFlops thing makes more sense to me.

PS5 = *this GPU/CPU (roughly)
XSX = *this GPU/CPU (roughly)
Both CPUs are roughly a Ryzen 3700X that doesn't boost as high. The cache setup may be different, but this hasn't been confirmed yet. The PS5's GPU is a higher clocked RX 5700 and the XSX doesn't really have a desktop counterpart yet, but it's more or less 30% faster than a 5700XT. Both GPUs do have newer features than current Navi/RDNA.

It's not easy to do comparisons like these because even if the paper specs are somewhat similar, there are still customisations going on that don't always make it over to desktop parts. We also don't have all the specs either.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So why aren't these the same as MHz / GHz? (i.e. the number of processor cycles per second)? Simply because cycles do not correlate 1 with floating point operators; different processors take more or less cycles to perform one FLOP (in fact, some processors take several cycles for a single FLOP, while others can perform several FLOPs in one cycle). In the end, FLOPs are just a better indication of power, especially in the context of 3D graphics, because that's what you want the processor to do; you don't care how many cycles it takes.

A lot of people missed this. And I think this is an important distinction

Like any complex systems, bottlenecks happen. High TF won't mean jack if the rest of the system is slow.

Disc speeds, drive speeds, these things matter too.

This sounds like a stealth Sony defense post, but I have no idea who's got what FLOPS, or faster drive or anything. Just pointing out what Cerny said has merits.

this Is very true and the entire ecosystem tells a bigger story than just the GPU alone. I'm not ready to crown which system performs better.
Someone else talked about the bottle neck of data transfer. So that is a game changer on top of the GPUs and again someone else spoke on that being one general task. Whereas one console may be better than the other depending on the specific task.
Also I believe that at 4k 30 and maybe even 4k60 they perform exactly the same and we may only see the differences when they are pushing 8k.

honestly without seeing games first party and/or multiplat we aren't going to really know who does what better. On top of how easy it is for developers to tap into the features of each architecture brings to the table.

this is kind why the console warz are dumb. End of the day it's the games that are created and how they are utilized on the platforms that tells the whole story.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
A lot of people missed this. And I think this is an important distinction

Thank you very much!

this Is very true and the entire ecosystem tells a bigger story than just the GPU alone. I'm not ready to crown which system performs better.
Someone else talked about the bottle neck of data transfer. So that is a game changer on top of the GPUs and again someone else spoke on that being one general task. Whereas one console may be better than the other depending on the specific task.
Also I believe that at 4k 30 and maybe even 4k60 they perform exactly the same and we may only see the differences when they are pushing 8k.

honestly without seeing games first party and/or multiplat we aren't going to really know who does what better. On top of how easy it is for developers to tap into the features of each architecture brings to the table.

this is kind why the console warz are dumb. End of the day it's the games that are created and how they are utilized on the platforms that tells the whole story.

Oh yeah, absolutely. (Tera)FLOPS are better than clock speed as a metric, but are still just one metric in a sea of many, many other inter-related elements that govern total performance. It's next to impossible which of two (closely-specced) machines will perform better unless you're incredibly knowledgeable about all aspects of computer architecture... or you simply test their performance against each other Digital Foundry style, which obviously we won't be able to do until they release.

The bottom line is: if performance of non-exclusive games is an important factor of your purchasing decision, you have no choice but to wait until both of them are released and benchmarked. And even then it's likely to vary on a game-by-game basis.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah, absolutely. (Tera)FLOPS are better than clock speed as a metric, but are still just one metric in a sea of many, many other inter-related elements that govern total performance. It's next to impossible which of two (closely-specced) machines will perform better unless you're incredibly knowledgeable about all aspects of computer architecture... or you simply test their performance against each other Digital Foundry style, which obviously we won't be able to do until they release.

The bottom line is: if performance of non-exclusive games is an important factor of your purchasing decision, you have no choice but to wait until both of them are released and benchmarked. And even then it's likely to vary on a game-by-game basis.
exactly this. like even while both have the same base architecture there are many tweaks taken, some different efficiencies made. even funny enough if you look at the XSX memory speeds and took an average of the two the average of the two they equal the 448 G/s that sony has ( I do know there are probably performance gains with the higher speed 10 gigs vs the lower speed 6 gig but again it all matters how that is utilized) s this is why like while we have all these specs, the real comparison will be based on what devs do at the end of the day. Im excited to see just how both approaches work and where they lag in gave development, but really the introduction of an SSD on both platforms I think will be a great thing for all games going forward and all the efficiencies brought on because of that.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
a flop is nothing more than a single mathematical operation, how many mathematical operations it can do on non-whole numbers per second. Processors have more operations than just rote mathematics they can do on non-whole numbers, usually combined into complex operations. These complex operations can use more or less floating point operations to accomplish a similar task depending on architecture, compiler optimization, and task at hand. Its much the same way one can rewrite a single math problem in multiple ways. Like how:

(5*2) + (5*2) + (5*2) = 30 is 5 operations, while (5*2)*3 = 30 is the exact same math, but only 3 operations. Say this was part of a larger calculation on two processors, and processor A does things the former way, and Processor B does things the latter way. And while Processor A can perform more FLOPs, the complex operations it is doing takes more FLOPS to accomplish for the same task.

Really, FLOPS are a very, very poor metric for performance. I've compared it before, but it's like comparing the "power" of two authors in terms of number of pen strokes per second they can put on paper. Author A can put 10 times more pen strokes per second than Author B, does that mean Author A can write better than author B? What does "better" even mean in this instance? In this example, we don't even account for language being written, say Author B writes in Hanji/Kanji and thus every single character takes like 8-9 strokes each, while author B writes in english in cursive, and thus each individual word only takes 1 pen stroke each. Who can write more in that instance, despite author A having more pen-strokes per second?

Things to keep in mind:

A) Floating point math isn't only done in the GPU, CPUs crunch floating point math just as often

B) Ultimately, it's the program written that is using the floating point math. There are ways, for example, to avoid floating point math all together in circumstances.

C) there is also non floating point math which can have different cycles per operations.

Other things to keep in mind: the metrics put forward are FLOPS under the most ideal of circumstance, i.e. every register filled to maximize SIMD performance. There are modes in many processors, for example, which will reserve registers not always available for different tasks. There are always trade offs. There might be instances, like to avoid a cache-miss, where intentionally using every register available isn't very wise.
I fee like this should be added to the OP. To take the writer analogy further, I'd conclude that you could probably say that Author A is better than Author B if Author A can write 10 pen strokes per second vs .05 pen strokes per second. Author B might produce some great works, but it'll take forever for them to create anything. That's how I view the difference in the current gen vs next gen.

Therefore, I'm really curious how games will end up looking on the XSX and the PS5, but the difference in TFLOPs likely won't be the key factor in how games look.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
FLOPS stands for Floating Point Operations Per Second. Basically it's a measurement of how much math a GPU can do per second. It will loosely translate to GPU performance, but it's pretty hard to put it in to real world terms, since each frame in a game could involve varying amounts of math, used in any number of different things from lighting to changing the shape of objects so that transitions make sense, or to smoothing jagged lines.

The actual raw power or what can be done in a single FLOP depends a on the architecture being used and the algorithms used to do it, so individual game implementations or GPU architectures can show different performance based on different apparent power. Advanced features like Ray Tracing can be difficult to define with just TeraFLOPSs too because of dedicated hardware.

People like to use TeraFLOPSs as a metric for power, because it's an easy to compare number, but it's quite a bit more nuanced than that. All other things being equal yes, more TFLOPSs is better, but all things are never equal. And we're at such a high level of performance with these machines, except in the case of advanced features and very high framerates, a lot of developers will be able to achieve everything they want with headroom on either platform.

Next gen games finna look fire whether it's PS5 or XSeX.