• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I was too young at the time, but my cousin said there was no reason not to get one if you wanted a dvd player, since it was that plus a next gen console. He lived in america of course, in brazil ps2 took a few years to be affordable to everyone.But everyone indeed got one eventually.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
imo definitely not blew out of the water

sc had 3D arenas ttt didn't

sc also ran at 480p ttt ran at something like 512x440 iirc

they were definitely comparable and the fact that they were was pretty disappointing as I had been hyped as hell for the second coming at launch lol

I disagree having played both extensively. TTT looked incredible even if the backgrounds were unspectacular. I do think Dead or Alive 2 on the DC held its own pretty well with TTT. (The PS2 version actually looked markedly worse than the DC version)

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
As I said, I went back to being a PC primary player which, for my tastes, was well beyond consoles at the time (and had online, etc). Never did get the Xbox OG.

But yeah, I'd still argue that PSO, sonic, soul caliber, etc in the ~2 years really shined over PS2 and remained the better versions (rez, thps, etc). Dreamcast was a true revolutionary step forward, and PS2 - which had wide range developer support - was just not as good. I can't speak in hypotheticals, but just overall preferred the hardware, games, and vision the DC represented over PS2.

Hope that doesn't "demolish" your sense of things too badly.

note that I was speaking of the Library of the PS2 compared to the DC and 360 specifically. "hardware and vision" of the DC doesn't amount to much if the games never showed up. Revolutionary steps forward are great and all, but for every positive the DC had it took several confusing steps back. Why did the controller have one analog stick long after two had been set as the standard by the PS1? Why was the DC using easily copied GD-Roms only barely larger than CDs when the industry had moved to DVD? The DC came with an internet adapter, but why was it a 56K modem if the system hit shelves in late 1999?

The DC in many, many ways as a hardware platform was a generational half step that "almost" did things right but couldn't quite get there. The OG Xbox on the other hand managed to get a lot of those things correct and was a more competent platform, even if its library is still not anywhere near as robust as the PS2's.

As for the Ps2 itself, that library has a sheer flood of extremely well regarded games exclusive to the PS2 that never showed up on the DC (or anywhere else, the PS2 has an absurd amount of exclusive titles), nor did anything like them. The only platform with an exclusive library as large as the PS2 is the NES, and that system had no real competition- the PS2 had plenty, but none of them managed to get any traction against it. It was simply too good at what the market wanted at that time, which was at that time local play, not online. The DC, GC, and OG Xbox all had robust online hardware available and software titles to match- all of them got crushed.

PSO, Sonic, and Soul Calibur are fine games, but in the first 12 months of the PS2's launch it already had Tekken Tag, FFX, Guitaroo man, Devil May Cry, Gran Turismo 3, Silent Hill 2, Ico, Red Faction, and Twisted Metal: Black. Go an additional 12 months to the PS2's second year and you add Frequency, Burnout 1 and 2, Crash: Wrath of Cortex, Fatal Frame, Dynasty Tactics, Kingdom Hearts, GTA: Vice City and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.

The DC's library in its lifespan doesn't stack up to this, and this is only through 2002. The PS2 continued to receive genre setting games on the system for another ten years- Guitar Hero for instance was a breakout PS2 title that spawned an entire mainstream genre. No such title exists on the DC- nor could it have. The lack of storage space on the GD rom would have prevented it. The DC had a handful of quality games that had potential, but the system itself never realized it, and lack of foresight in the design meant it never would have.

Last edited:

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Eventually got one to play Dragon Quest VIII and Shadow of the Colossus, but otherwise I didn't care. I was more interested in GameCube titles at the time.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
The Dreamcast kinda watered down the ps2 for me, so it didn't blew me away that much. Especially with all those fantastic games at the launch of the Dreamcast.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It was mind blowing. Back then i didn't have access to the internet since I was 7 when it came out. When my dad bought one for us, I legit couldn't believe how it looked verses the ps1. The tray disc drive made seem very cool as well. Also I discovered by accident that you can rotate the ps emblem on the tray. It was a cute party trick when other kids visited. The games looked so smooth to us as well. The texture warping affect which I was used to was completely gone. Characters had faces and actual fingers now lol.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I keep getting reminded about Socom on PS2 (and PS3). No one seems to care. I think Socom on PS5 would be so good. Folks don't even realize how good Socom 1, 2, 3 and Combined Assault were on PS2 for campaigns and online. The games had the best maps and modes. It never got boring. I miss that experience, daily.

ilmunita

Oct 27, 2017
Ctrl+f jaggies = 0 results

Wow. I don't know how many of your were around for the ps2 launch, but that was the big controversy of the time. Games had anti-aliasing on Dreamcastbut not on PS2, which led to them looking jagged.

Rubik8

Dec 5, 2018
I didn't care at all. I finally broke down and got one to play Virtua Fighter 4. Also filled in a lot of games I missed. By the end of the generation I was a big fan.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I was wowed when I first bought it (which was at launch). It was only over a period of time that I started to realize how rough many of those first gamers were. I can remember saying that Dynasty Warriors 2 was the best game every made... Hype can do crazy things to a person's mind.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was initially salty about the Dreamcast's demise, but I turned around pretty quick and got a PS2 within its US launch year. I remember being hyped about the analog buttons, but I can't think of many games that used them outside MGS2/3.

Really awesome system. Defined most of my high school years. Plenty of secondhand, awful condition games were bought and swapped among friends and flea markets. It was a good time to be a kid.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know the Dreamcast existed at all so as far as I was concerned the PS2 and it's graphics were absolutely revolutionary and mind-blowing.

I remember thinking nothing could ever look more real than Burnout 2.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hype was insane, but I was a 14 years old boy with no money. I bought one when Silent Hill 3 came out haha.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I was all about Dreamcast until its untimely death. I knew I had to get one when GTAIII and Metal Gear Solid 2 came out and that was all people were talking about.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That actually WAS a big deal.

www.thegamer.com

Gaming Detail: Metal Gear Solid 2’s Ice Cubes Actually Melt

In Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, the ice actually melts. Cool, right?

You could not only shoot and destroy individual bottles and they'd shatter as appropriate, but there was an ice bucket in the same area (and literally nowhere else in the game) full of ice cubes that could be knocked over, with the cubes melting in real time once you did.

also: few people found this one:

Phenomenal attention to detail from Kojima on that game, and it carried over into pretty much everything. The AI and physics in that game was just light years ahead of everything else.

I remember ZOE being "that game that came with the MGS2 Demo".

My younger brother refers to it by the same moniker even today. I had zero expectations and only bought it to play the MGS2 demo. Then I found myself looking for a new game to play since The Bouncer was all of about 5 hours long.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SSX and BC helped me through the early days but it was the best console of all time. Library was huge.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I owned (and still own) all four major consoles from that gen...and the PlayStation 2 is maybe the one I've played least overall in the long run.

I think my most played game on it was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, which is the game we got the system for since it wasn't on Xbox at launch, and we thought that the GameCube button layout was too weird for it. My younger brother and I had been playing the first two games like crazy on Dreamcast since they released there.

We got the PlayStation 2 in December of 2001, with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 as already mentioned, as well as Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore, Capcom vs. SNK 2, NBA Street, SSX Tricky, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2. We enjoyed all of the games, but I think we might have still played the Dreamcast more around that time, though I could be wrong.

We got an Xbox shortly afterwards, and that became our main place to play for the rest of the gen. We got a GameCube shortly after the Xbox as well, and we played that a lot, too.

Oh, yeah, we already had a DVD player since like 1997 or 1998, so we didn't care about that part of the console at all.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
imo definitely not blew out of the water

sc had 3D arenas ttt didn't

Tekken Tag's arenas are indeed 3D, even if the gameplay is mostly on a 2D plane. Sidestepping is a big part of that game, even if it's not as unrestricted as the 8 way run in Soul Calibur. That's a design decision on Namco's part, not a technical limitation- Soul Blade on PS1 had the same "3d arenas" Soul Calibur does, but it's nowhere near as technically competent as Tekken 3, also on PS1.

sc also ran at 480p ttt ran at something like 512x440 iirc

The US/EU version of Tekken Tag was 640x448, roughly identical to SC. The only significant difference was that There was no VGA adapter for the PS2 as there was for the DC. Tekken Tag also had much higher poly count fighters, fully 3D modeled floors (the "grass" in that one stage comes to mind), and substantially better lighting.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I remember thinking it was a downgrade from my Dreamcast given games like Unreal Tournament and Rayman 3 performed way worse on the PS2.

But I was loving SSX too much to care tbh.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Tekken Tag's arenas are indeed 3D, even if the gameplay is mostly on a 2D plane. Sidestepping is a big part of that game, even if it's not as unrestricted as the 8 way run in Soul Calibur. That's a design decision on Namco's part, not a technical limitation- Soul Blade on PS1 had the same "3d arenas" Soul Calibur does, but it's nowhere near as technically competent as Tekken 3, also on PS1.

The US/EU version of Tekken Tag was 640x448, roughly identical to SC. The only significant difference was that There was no VGA adapter for the PS2 as there was for the DC. Tekken Tag also had much higher poly count fighters, fully 3D modeled floors (the "grass" in that one stage comes to mind), and substantially better lighting.
Tekken Tag used bump mapping on the floors, one of the first examples of the tech and probably still one of the best uses of it on PS2 even by the end. But there was a lot of fakery going on with the 3D arenas, compared to the full 3D planes of SC.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to downplay the PS2 really doesn't work.

Anyway, the notion that anyone was worried about the PS2's long term appeal based on that fist year was absurd to me.

This thing was following the defacto console, the one that had a stranglehold on 3rd parties. Also, we got Tekken Tag at launch, and various games that were fun leading up to the ridiculous 2001 lineup.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly didn't have any desire to buy on launch. Saw the list of games and the interest was not there as I had a Dreamcast and that was mad fun. Obviously I did end up getting a PS2 years later.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For the console itself, I didn't have any hype as my family only got a computer and the internet for Christmas 2000, after the console was out. So I was left out of the hype cycle. I mean that quite literally; from what I remember, I was first exposed to the PS2 when it came out and was displayed at my local electronics store (which I would visit from time to time just to windowshop).

However, the months that followed December 2000 were the ones dedicated to the marketing of both Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X. As a mega fan of the original Metal Gear Solid and of the Final Fantasy franchise, you best believe that the hype was through the roof. Few games, if any, have given me the same level of vibrant excitement while waiting for them as MGS2 and FFX did.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I wasnt excited as my friends thanks to my Dreamcast, while they were still playing ISS pro on ps1

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
I was SO hyped. I got it at launch.

I remember playing the demo disc over and over. The intro gave me chills every time, still does today!

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My parents bought me a PS2 slim in 2006. It was my first official console. Only played a few PC games like need for speed, Aladdin and street fighter 2. I remember playing Call of Duty Finest Hour and Lord of the Rings Return of the King on it. I was blown away. That's when I got into gaming properly. I played a bunch of different random games on PS2. I would go to GameStop and buy games that looked interesting from the box art and description on the back. I would return them if I didn't like them.

Bought a 360 a year and a half later. Then I started looking into games on the internet. I discovered GameSpot and IGN. Started buying games that reviewed well or were popular at the time. My first games on the 360 were COD4, Halo 3, Mass Effect and Gears of War. I also stumbled upon Bioshock demo on Xbox live and bought that too. 360 felt like a goldmine compared to the PS2 because I started making more informed purchases. This is when I became a "gamer". But I still miss the PS2 days when I would purchase games randomly based on how the cover art looked. Played a bunch of fun games that way. 007 games in particular were the best. But I feel like I missed out the very best the PS2 had to offer.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Agree on the graphics OP. I thought most games looked murky and aliased compared to the very clean Dreamcast look. Sony had really hyped it up as being on a totally different level technically, and that didn't really carry through when looking at the actual games.

Still, not a bad launch at all considering the games.

Beegeous

Nov 6, 2017
Manchester, UK
I was all about Nintendo and Dreamcast so the launch of the console didn't bother me (I got caught up in the anti-Sony fanboyism of the time) however I do remember seeing a Japanese import in the window of Gamestation in Manchester's Arndale demoing Fantavision, the firework rhythm sim which piqued my interest momentarily.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the launch was really weak. Didn't care for the system and waited in line on launch day to get Majora's Mask. PS2 didn't really impress me until a year later when the games I liked started to release.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
At the start? Not too special. First game I played on it was The Summoner and I hated it. Then I played FFIX on it and loved it, but it was still a PS1 game. My mind wasn't blown on the visuals until The Bouncer. But my true "omg this is next gen" experience was Final Fantasy X. Mindblowing at the time. Truly.

Also once I heard this song, I just sat there and listened to it for like 30 minutes.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020

Thank you for this.

For a moment I thought I had awoken in some alternate universe where TTT wasn't a technical marvel.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
PS2 was garbage at launch/launch window. Then it exploded and became legendary. I was definitely hating on it during the launch though haha.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamnit!!! Sony I hate you! This is not going to kill my Sega Dreamcast, but all that press... is

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't care less about it. The only thing that sparked some interest in sony's device in me was when they released the psp and afterwards the vita. This spark has all but vanished afterwards.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty underwhelmed, to be honest and I LOVED my original PS1.

At first the games didn't look much better than the Dreamcast games I had, a lot of them even looked worse (I remember Grandia 2 and Code Veronica getting pretty shoddy ports). I still imported the console from Japan back then with Shadow of Memories and Zone of Enders (mostly cause I wanted to play that MGS2 demo)... and I dunno, the lack of RPGs and so on in the first few years really turned me off. Then MGS2 came out and really disappointed me and I even imported Final Fantasy X and that was also a disappointment to me back then. At that point the Xbox with Halo in splitscreen was constantly on and my PS2 gathered dust until I finally ended up selling it. Never really got much out of the whole PS2 generation, still not a huge fan of the library looking back. So back then I played a lot more Xbox / PC and GameCube.

I didn't really jump on the Xbox bandwagon, although played a ton of Halo, until college (fall 2002) when I was first introduced to the modding scene. A modded OG Xbox was a fantastic emulator and XBMC was at least 5 years ahead of most multimedia devices.

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
I bought a Dreamcast at launch so by the time the ps2 got its initial Japanese release I was already heavily invested in segas last console. It wasn't until devil may cry's release that I was tempted to pick up a ps2 as those launch games really didn't do anything for me. It was also very hard to see past the impending release of the Xbox and GameCube (both of which I got at their launches).

I really enjoyed my time with the ps2 but I disagree that it's in contention for the goat console imo. It's library felt like btec versions of the ps1 library albeit with better graphics. Out of the 4 consoles from that gen I would have it very firmly in last place. I would even put it alongside the Xbox 360 as the most over rated console of all time.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think it was all that impressive at launch and yeah, I was a Dreamcast/Sega kid. My folks got it for me for my birthday though and I eventually came around.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I was deeply entrenched in PC gaming playing EverQuest at that point in time. I didn't give a shit at all about consoles again until the Xbox 360/PS3 gen.

I did own a PS2 though. My GF and I bought one well into it's life cycle and got a bunch of games for it so I do have good memories of the console overall.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I never did get the original PlayStation, in part being leery of the current state of premature state of 3D hardware acceleration following my experience with the 3DO (yes, I paid $699 at launch and enjoyed the system for what it was but also saw the wasted potential resulting from the early state of 3D hardware.) So I wasn't yet sold on Sony as a durable player in the market, having missed out on Metal Gear Solid and FF7. The PS2 looked incredibly promising, however, and while I didn't get one at launch I did jump in late in the first year with the GT3 bundle, Ico's release, and the demo of MGS2. I picked up MGS and FF7 to play via backward compatibility and haven't missed a PlayStation launch since.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
At the time I thought it was garbage and the Dreamcast destroyed it. Bought one once Twisted Metal Black came out though.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I was 13 years old; the PS2 at launch blew my damn mind.

Suddenly, 3D games didn't feel like they were basically a house of cards running on my game console. Dual joysticks were now standardized across the PS2, unlike the single stick support on DC/N64 and the non-universal dualshock support on PS1.

I had a hard time picking between games at launch. I always though the lineup was weirdly derided. Tekken Tag Tournament, SSX, TimeSplitters, Smuggler's Run, Ridge Racer V... then I had things like NHL 2001/Madden and Armored Core 2 etc to hold me over until Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry, Twisted Metal Black, Max Payne, Ace Combat 4, GTA3, and the never-ending onslaught of games that continued for years and years.

Day one, though, was all about TimeSplitters in my neighborhood. We had been playing Perfect Dark for 4-5 months and TimeSplitters just slaughtered it in our circle. The map maker alone was amazing, but the 4 player split screen mode + bots + 60fps after playing N64 FPS games was nothing short of a breath of relief.

The BC functionality was a newfound concept to me, at the time. I never expected Genesis games to work on Saturn, or SNES on N64, so imagine my surprise when it was announced that the PS2 would not only play all of my PS1 games and support every accessory, but that the games would look better and load quicker on the next gen PlayStation. I was playing FFVIII on my PS2 for months.

The PS2 is such a special console that I really can't put it into words without taking some serious time to try and articulate just what it meant to me. It was such a burgeoning piece of hardware for creativity in the video game space.

Last edited:

Deleted member 60402

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 3, 2019
I had no reaction to the launch of the ps2, didn't' even knew sony was releasing it. I was mostly focused on renting game for the n64 and replaying my snes and ps1 game.

Oct 27, 2017
One of only a couple of Nintendo/Sony console generations that I didn't jump in at launch (along with PS3 and now PS5, though not by choice on that one).

In fact, PS2 wasn't really even on my radar until Maximo, of all games, was released. That was what finally pushed me to pick one up, but even then I didn't play it very much.

That time period I had a lot more important stuff than games going on. I have a PS2 hooked up now though. I'm still hoping to eventually get around to playing Suikoden V and Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
One of only a couple of Nintendo/Sony console generations that I didn't jump in at launch (along with PS3 and now PS5, though not by choice on that one).

In fact, PS2 wasn't really even on my radar until Maximo, of all games, was released. That was what finally pushed me to pick one up, but even then I didn't play it very much.

That time period I had a lot more important stuff than games going on. I have a PS2 hooked up now though. I'm still hoping to eventually get around to playing Suikoden V and Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria

2 absolutely fantastic games