• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Pre-ordered. I can always return it if it ends up being shit.

I could never bring myself to spend the $150 on a 7x despite how good of a pair those are. I don't use voice chat with randos, and my Sony wireless headphones have been sufficient enough for the most part by plugging in to my controller. The annoyances with it were hard to justify a $150 replacement.

But for $100 and the option of using Discord on my phone should I ever play with friends in the future... sure, I'll give it a shot.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
My Astro A50 gen 3 headset has been suffering with some sort of electronic distortion noises since the update to enable USB mode (and Astro have ignored my support ticket) so have pre-ordered this as a possible replacement.

If reviews are bad I'll simply cancel/return but I'll happily drop £100 on something that's as good as the A50's are for me today (which were £180 when I got them).

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Bit out of my element with headsets. Does this have "real" surround sound or does it just support the options that are essentially faking it?

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered almost instantly. I have had my Turtle Beach headset since 2016 and it's still going strong, but there are just enough annoyances I have with it now that made this buy an easy decision.
  • The chat/game audio adjuster has not been working on my Turtle Beach controller adapter since I got my Series X
  • I accidentally unplug my headset from my controller about 3 times a night
  • My gaming laptop that I got last year has separate headphone and mic jacks, and the splitter I've been using is terrible
Cannot wait for this to be shipped.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Ok but, what about a chat headset? Not over-ear.

I still want something like these:

31%2BqaeCDglL._AC_.jpg

310kZjyDTpL.jpg
I feel you. I bought the Hyperkin replica of the top one, but it's hot trash and I had to return it.

Last edited:

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
For $100 your better off buying a Philips SHP9500 and a Boom Pro mic/cable. Great audio quality and super comfortable with a fantastic mic.

The various surround sound tech is available for any headset.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've been waiting for this headset ever since Xbox One launched.

Why did they made us wait an entire gen for an official wireless headset?

At the same time $99 is too good to be true. I've seen Surface Headphones cracking easily after months and they are what? $300?

Will wait for reviews especially with the Elite being POS in quality.

Oct 29, 2017
Oh maaan.

I have a Pulse 3D which works nicely with my windows PC too and I also just got an Xbox Dongle with the Series Controller. Made a thread about how terrible the range and interference situation is. The Pulse works better on the PC than the damn controller.

Yet I want this. Looks dope and I don't have to switch dongles. I might grab one. I mean I already have that shitty dongle anyway. Fuck this is nice.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
They look way nicer than the ones I had in the 360 days. I guess that's expected but still.

Oct 29, 2017
Bit out of my element with headsets. Does this have "real" surround sound or does it just support the options that are essentially faking it?

What is real surround sound? Multiple speakers? In a headset? That's a terrible thing and no one should buy something like that.

In a sense the current Tempest/Dolby Atmos/DTS:X headphone implementations using HRTF are the holy grail of surround sound. You get real 3D positional audio, something that you will never be able to achieve with real speakers.

So the answer is yes, these are virtual solutions, but that is the best currently. If you are unlucky and have really strange ears it might now work for you.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was going to pick up an Arctis 9X soon but now I don't know - might wait on this if the reviews are good
Arctis 9x is trash. Was trash on Xbox one. A bit better on Xbox series but still so many issues. I was waiting for 7x in Amazon France as it's not available yet. Maybe will pick this one and give my 9x for my cats to play and tear it apart

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
That's...fair lol Why do some advertise as having 7.1 or whatever then? It it all just shenanigans?
You can simulate extremely convincing surround sound, but it's not "real" - to have real surround sound requires multiple speakers placed around the listener.

If, to the listener, it sounds like it's surround sound...what's the difference?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I've never understood using something like this or the Gold headset. I guess it being wireless? These will blow both out of the water and come with an in-line mic. Sennheiser HD 569 Closed Back Headphone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L1IIF1A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_085BD42F81JGP1050YT9
For sure Sennheisers will likely sound (much) better like-for-like, but audio through the controllers (both on Xbox and PlayStation) is compressed to a lower quality than it is when used wirelessly via a USB dongle or direct to the console like these are. Also, the in-line mic on the Sennheiser is not as good for chat than an extendable mic.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I pre-ordered a pair to try out.

The sound quality and actual battery life in my use (I will probably connect to Discord via Bluetooth to my phone or laptop frequently) will kinda determine if they're worth it, but on paper this is kinda everything I want from a headset right now.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Arctis 9x is trash. Was trash on Xbox one. A bit better on Xbox series but still so many issues. I was waiting for 7x in Amazon France as it's not available yet. Maybe will pick this one and give my 9x for my cats to play and tear it apart
What didn't you like with the 9x? I had the 7X for a week and it was OK. Sound is really flat. Chatmix only works on xbox, not PC. If these headsets support chatmix on both xbox and windows xbox game bar then these are probably some of the best headsets for xbox/pc gamers, especially at this price point. Curious to see how they sound.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
For $100 your better off buying a Philips SHP9500 and a Boom Pro mic/cable. Great audio quality and super comfortable with a fantastic mic.

The various surround sound tech is available for any headset.
No thanks. Those are open back and wired. The appeal of these are they're cheap, wireless, and also double as bluetooth headphones if I need them. If they have just a tiny bit of bass, that'll still be way more than the Philips have. I love boom pro on my Sennheiser 598s, but when I game at night my wife can still clearly hear voice chat and game sounds.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I feel like I've been waiting for this headset ever since Xbox One launched.

Why did they made us wait an entire gen for an official wireless headset?

At the same time $99 is too good to be true. I've seen Surface Headphones cracking easily after months and they are what? $300?

Will wait for reviews especially with the Elite being POS in quality.
They had ones last gen as well for a similar price. They sucked though.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
What is real surround sound? Multiple speakers? In a headset? That's a terrible thing and no one should buy something like that.

In a sense the current Tempest/Dolby Atmos/DTS:X headphone implementations using HRTF are the holy grail of surround sound. You get real 3D positional audio, something that you will never be able to achieve with real speakers.

So the answer is yes, these are virtual solutions, but that is the best currently. If you are unlucky and have really strange ears it might now work for you.
You can simulate extremely convincing surround sound, but it's not "real" - to have real surround sound requires multiple speakers placed around the listener.

If, to the listener, it sounds like it's surround sound...what's the difference?
Like I said - completely out of my element on this. It's genuine curiosity why some headphones list 7.1 while others say support for A, B, C virtual surround sound delivery methods. Is it all just marketing speak for the same thing then?

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Okay? 15 hours still isn't booty. If you're playing a video games long enough where you need more than 15 hours of headset time, then you probably have bigger things to worry about.
Their overall very similar products and with ANC off these headphones get around 60 hours so quite literally 4x the battery life, that makes the Xbox shit by comparison. Most of these headphones do not have user replaceable batteries, so the more you have to charge the faster the battery should die off in theory. Also, it's not just about how long you can use it straight, who wants to bother charging their battery powered devices more often? The shorter the battery life the more likely you are to be caught with your pants down so to speak if you forget to charge them.

Do you think the Dual Sense battery life for example is no worse than other controllers with a longer battery life because you shouldn't be playing for the 6-8 hours that it lasts anyway? That's a very narrow way of looking at things if so.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What didn't you like with the 9x? I had the 7X for a week and it was OK. Sound is really flat. Chatmix only works on xbox, not PC. If these headsets support chatmix on both xbox and windows xbox game bar then these are probably some of the best headsets for xbox/pc gamers, especially at this price point. Curious to see how they sound.
Disconnect and cracklings sounds. Very often on one x. Much better but still some on serie x

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Disconnect and cracklings sounds. Very often on one x. Much better but still some on serie x
Is the crackling sound from the headset or from the console? Because I've used numerous Xbox Series X and they all generate crackling or static sounds via the controller, direct out of my TV, and also via HDMI. I've turned networking completely off, changed TVs, took it to someone else's house (in case it was my electrical system causing static somehow), and tried every single audio output mode on the Series X and it never goes away. When I call support they pretend to not know about the problem, but their forums are full of people with the same thing. Also Reddit, AVSforum, gamefaqs etc etc. I have zero confidence in MS ever fixing it.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Any idea if this actually supports functionality over USB, or is the USB port strictly for charging like on the Surface Headphones?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Their overall very similar products and with ANC off these headphones get around 60 hours so quite literally 4x the battery life, that makes the Xbox shit by comparison. Most of these headphones do not have user replaceable batteries, so the more you have to charge the faster the battery should die off in theory. Also, it's not just about how long you can use it straight, who wants to bother charging their battery powered devices more often? The shorter the battery life the more likely you are to be caught with your pants down so to speak if you forget to charge them.
To be fair, the vast majority of wireless Bluetooth headphones have a battery life in the range of 15-25 hours (with or without ANC). If you have some that actually get 60, then you are so much above the curve that it is the outlier. I would call 15 hours as comfortably in the lower end of the average range of wireless headphones, but certainly not "shit".

My Sennheiser Momentum wireless headphones get around 24 hours of battery life and I often forget when I've charged them last because it can be weeks or months between charges, so I don't really worry about 15 hours.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the crackling sound from the headset or from the console? Because I've used numerous Xbox Series X and they all generate crackling or static sounds via the controller, direct out of my TV, and also via HDMI. I've turned networking completely off, changed TVs, took it to someone else's house (in case it was my electrical system causing static somehow), and tried every single audio output mode on the Series X and it never goes away. When I call support they pretend to not know about the problem, but their forums are full of people with the same thing. Also Reddit, AVSforum, gamefaqs etc etc. I have zero confidence in MS ever fixing it.
From the headset. Never did this wired

Greent4

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Pre-ordered will cancel if reviews seem bad.
I'm excited overall about the ability to discord on my pc and game on my Xbox simultaneously.