• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Considering the amount of subs, there's no reason to up that price just to get more money.
If Sony believes increasing the price is worth it, then they'll go for it. Remember MP are locked behind a paywall (except MMO and F2P), thus I can't imagine many people would cancel their sub after a price increase. Furthermore on PS unlike Xbox you need to pay for cloud saves. On PS5 unlike PS4 there is no option other than paying for PS+ to backup the saves.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This forum will explode when MS rise the price for the Gamepass eventually.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question: how are PC games (that aren't MMOs) able to provide free online while the 3 console makers are charging for it even after purchasing their hardware?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Just fucking get rid of XBL and make it Game Pass Only and let people decide if they want that or not. This is incredibly stupid. They finally made a console/OS that made me want to make it my main and then they pull this bullshit. Where's your Good Guy Phil memes now.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They want the game pass subs y'all. They know this is a ridiculous price so they make the game pass seem more appealing.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
For everyone who is saying "Glad I converted" what is your plan when that end is in sight? Keep subscribing, or?

Depends. A year of Gamepass is almost the same price as two full price games. If they keep putting games on Gamepass that I want to play, I'll likely subscribe for another year when my GPU runs out.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Obviously this is a move to force people into Game Pass Ultimate, but god does it suck. Especially when Gold is still required for most F2P games on Xbox from what I remember. Scummy move on Microsoft's part.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
I have GPU for 3 years so this doesn't really effect me, but it seems incredibly dumb and shortsighted of MS. For people that don't want GPU this is a slap in the face and it's being done at a time in which they should be courting, not turning off consumers.
So they should just keep supporting a service that they don't want anymore ?

If this was a price hike on its own it would be shitty but they have changed their business model to GPU and want people there. There is definitely an argument that GPU is more consumer friendly ( not in price but in what it offers ) for the current economical situation.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
This doesn't help someone like me who's been on the fence about which next gen console to buy. The ultimate bundle with gamespass and online looked like the best deal in the business, no if the price skyrockets it makes it much less appealing to jump in.
That price isn't changing. None of this has anything to do with what you're looking at.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Serious question: how are PC games (that aren't MMOs) able to provide free online while the 3 console makers are charging for it even after purchasing their hardware?
Competition. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have a complete monopoly on online play on their platforms and thus can tell you to pay up or fuck off. PC launchers can't do that because if you tell those people to fuck off they'll just get and play their PC games another way.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
So, now xbox live will cost the same as game pass (not ultimate, just base console or pc plans) while providing way less value, especially when you consider the online access is something that is free for pc players (and barring this month, gwg has been pretty bad for a while now). What the hell microsoft? This doesn't even affect me as I now subscribe to gamepass ultimate but it just seems like such a monumental fuckup. Seems especially terrible given the way they have rolled it out by getting rid of the year long option without saying anything for months and months only to announce these price increases. Seriously ridiculous.

Ideally online access should be free on console as it is on pc, but if they insist on charging for it they should just kill gwg and roll online into base gamepass for console.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Push people to GPU > Get people locked in to GPU > Raise price of GPU. Quote this post in 2 years.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Oh wow, that is enough to keep me out for the entire gen.

Incredibly, I was saving for a SX...

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft proved people would pay on console. They also proved people wouldn't pay on PC. That's it. Remember, PSN used to be free until Sony realized they could also get away with charging their customers for it.

Dec 11, 2017
This is Microsoft's first major unforced error this generation. These new systems are barely out and now Microsoft has fallen into a narrative where Fortnite is FREE on PS5 and $120 a year on Xbox Series.

Oct 24, 2019
It's crazy high, but Game Pass Ultimate, on the other hand, remains an incredible deal, so I'm not too bothered by this. I've been saving so much money thanks to it.

This news sucks, yes, but seriously, even if they increase the GPU price, it will most likely remain a good deal (unless they go really high of course).

Well if Microsoft has proved anything with this move, it's that you should be ready for them to double or triple the GPU price as soon they've strong-armed everyone into it.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
This is a bit disingenuous. For those that pay for PSPlus it's not free to play. For those that pay for Switch Online it's not free to play. Yes you can cancel those subscriptions if you just want to play those games on those systems and I'm sure there's probably a minority out there that do but most just pay the fee because they have a console and feel like they need to pay to get the most out of it so they get no more benefit from it being f2p than those on the Xbox.
As of May 2020 PS Plus had 41.5 Million Subscribers, there are ~114 Million PS4s around the world.
It's absolutely not a minority.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Honestly they would have been better off just saying "gold is going away in 6 months if you want to play online you need GPU"

because as dickish as that sounds....what they did is much worse.

Oct 30, 2017
If you're doing this, surely you're doing it wrong?

If you bought a year of XBLG (£60 at the old price) and a year of Game Pass (about £100 for two 6 month cards)... that's more than just subbing to Game Pass Ultimate? A year of GPU is £135 and also includes Game Pass for PC and EA Play.

Sounds like throwing away money. Even more so when this price change comes in.
Oh definitely doing it wrong. I'd just imagine that people who subscribe to XBL GOLD out of habit for the last several years also subscribe separately to Gamepass. If I had an active Live Subscription, I wouldn't be jumping right into GPU.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Is everyone just ignoring this: If you're an existing online 12-month or 6-month Xbox Live Gold member, there's no price change. If you choose to renew your membership, it will renew at the current price.

If you have a sub its just a grandfathered price as long as you don't unsub, its pretty shit the price increases but this seems a fair compromise for the majority of people.
This needs testing. The wording is vague. My reading was definitely that people who have a sub already won't have to pay any more, but when they renew it'll be at the 'current' price. Aka the increased price. But it hinges on whether current means the old or new price.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely sucks for the people who have zero interest in gamepass but for the people that do it's not an issue. Game pass ultimate has already had quite a few deals for $20 for 3 months. $80 a year is a bargain. Just be patient and wait for the deals.
Yup, I bought a lot of those $20 3 months deals off CD keys, target and BB This past holiday to stay locked in that stupid low rate.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
They want the game pass subs y'all. They know this is a ridiculous price so they make the game pass seem more appealing.

yeah, no idea why people act so surprised here.
XBL Gold standalone was already a terrible deal before the price hike considering GPU cost just a couple of Euros more.

Stand-alone XBL Gold the new Netflix SD, 1 user package 🤷‍♂️

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
The way people are justifying this by saying MS are just doubling the price of Live so people move to Gamepass is really sad, some weird stockholm syndrome going on with a trillion dollar company.

Doubling the price is disgusting, especially when F2P games are still walled off for some fucked up reason.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
My guess is they have internal data to support casuals (CoD, Madden, 2K, Rockstar only crowd) not caring as much about Live pricing. Anecdotally my casual buds do exactly this - buy 2 annual franchises a year, and don't think twice about gold subscription pricing, subbing for 3-6 months at a time. It's weird to me (because of how expensive it is) but it's how they roll.

I mean, fair enough. There's definitely a segment of that crowd who won't notice. But most of my friends who are in the casual crowd generally ask me and couple other of our more dedicated gaming friends for advice on what console to get each gen.

Right now it's still up in the air where everyone's going to land because the consoles are so hard to get. Before this Xbox was an option because the experiences for those big third party games was so similar, and they could add a month or two of GP if a big release hit the service. But there's no way I can recommend anything but PS5 now unless Sony also increases prices. Not only is it a bad value for casuals, but it's also really bad PR for Microsoft. Like Mattrick levels of bad PR. And that might have a far bigger impact on the size of the playerbase

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
Gold has been unattractive for 2 years now since they brought in Game pass ultimate. This honestly makes it a no brainer for anyone with an xbox at this point.

Stock up on xbl codes and apply that to your ultimate sub so that the price squeeze doesn't fuck you over in the long run

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly they would have been better off just saying "gold is going away in 6 months if you want to play online you need GPU"

because as dickish as that sounds....what they did is much worse.

At least this would show them progressing to a singular service, what they've actually done is just piss everyone off and we still have *multiple* different subscriptions for one system.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They run matchmaking servers (even for third party iirc) and have all those community features, which cost money. I wish PS+ and Gold wouldn't exist, but on the other hand, I can kinda understand that running such services is expensive.

Btw the price increase is bullshit.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
This is Microsoft's first major unforced error this generation. These new systems are barely out and now Microsoft has fallen into a narrative where Fortnite is FREE on PS5 and $120 a year on Xbox Series.

This is such a bizarre gaffe. Like if you're going to increase the price why double it for a yearly sub? Such a dumb move by MS.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
In Canada it is likely going to be 140 a year for gold or like 240 a year for ultimate without promotions.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Phil has done a good job with BC and deserves some credit for Game Pass but everything else, this included, has been a disgrace. Like Jeff Grubb said a move like this shows that Phil who is the one who makes these decisions is out of touch. I think he needs to go and someone else, preferably Sarah Bond, Shawn Layden or Andrew House should take over.

Funny how we forget that Phil was in charge of Microsoft Game Studios during the drought period which still continues to this day.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
If Sony believes increasing the price is worth it, then they'll go for it.
You only increase price on subs if you really needs it, especially when your service is already giving profits. Like I said, Sony would do that if for some reason they wanted to push something or inflation. MS reason here it's obvious after all.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
go read the thread where people said it would obviously go away since it's against their strategy
L M A O

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
If you upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate they will match your existing Xbox Live Gold up to 36 months. Not sure how much better they can make it.

MS dont want XBLG anymore, they want everyone on Game Pass Ultimate. I am not sure why people seem to be so shocked at the price high. Its a simple push of XBLG subs to GPU subs. They will still eventually get rid of XBLG but they cant just switch it off.

Because I don't want to be "pushed".

You are attempting to rationalize a doubling of prices and wondering why people are shocked.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I can't really believe that Microsoft demands everyone who plays on Xbox get gamepass. This price increase will scare potential sales. They better give 6 months of gamepass to new buyers.

this is a move that someone who doesn't understand business would make. Why not just make Xbox live a small fee to just play online like silver used to be. Gamepass sells itself. It's that good.

this is just baffling

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
At this point it feels like all signs are pointing to a Game Pass Ultimate price increase.

Let's hope they don't just double it like they did with Xbox Live Gold.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
This needs testing. The wording is vague. My reading was definitely that people who have a sub already won't have to pay any more, but when they renew it'll be at the 'current' price. Aka the increased price. But it hinges on whether current means the old or new price.
The *current* price is the current price. These *new* prices are not in effect yet. They are not taking effect until 1-2 months from now. There is 0 room for interpretation here that means anything else.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
The way people are justifying this by saying MS are just doubling the price of Live so people move to Gamepass is really sad, some weird stockholm syndrome going on with a trillion dollar company.

Doubling the price is disgusting, especially when F2P games are still walled off for some fucked up reason.
What? No. It's not a "justification". It's an explanation. It's still shitty, but it's a business tactic and that's what those comments are referring to.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

What the heck is Stockholm syndrome about it? Nobody is saying they like it. It's just what's happening.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
People also conveniently forgetting that Microsoft no longer sells 12-month subscriptions as of the middle of last year. What people still think is $60 a year is actually just leftover retailer stock for old 12-month cards that are no longer being made or offered, so when those dry up everyone would be at the price it's currently at.

$50 per 6 months
$100 per year.

That's the current price. It's bumping up to $120. That's still cheaper than a netflix subscription. Hell, even a GPU subscription is on-par/cheaper than netflix. And they view it as bigger value than netflix.

There's no way Gold provides the same value as Netflix imo, nowhere close. It's a means to an end, nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.