JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I'd bet almost 100% that it's going to be a standard X4 nvme SSD in 4.0 speed.

Technically this clicks the boxes of 'faster than current PC speed', but also means cheap supply and easy replacement.

No 2.5" bay or port most likely.

USB C/3.1 for external SSD probably supported, though I imagine external HDD support might be problematic for spinners, as lag would be extremely bad for very dense native PS5 titles.
NVME in PCIE 4.0 actually sounds about right, i didn't think about that.

Oct 30, 2017
Excited i guess…
I have SO many games to play on PS4, this can actually wait. Or PS5 will give PS4 games a significant boost.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
A worthy prediction that will get lost in the thread, minus the bandwidth thing. NVMe with PCIe 4.0 does have a lot of bandwidth and that tech is available to both of the next console releases. The issue ATM is the cost of higher end NVMe.

Higher end NVME is expensive because every drive on the high scale requires a controller. On Samsung this is stuff like UBX or Polaris, etc. So on the little M.2 PCB, you have a little processor and all the traces on there to manage data.

What I imagine Sony might do here is have their own NVME PCIe 4.0 controller (or purchased from Samsung/etc) but have it ON the PS5 main board itself, OR baked into the APU by AMD to take advantage of the new Ryzen 2 architecture.

This would allow for VERY cheap controllerless m.2 nvme 4.0 X4 SSD.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
WczjreZ.jpg

Reticon6

Banned
Oct 19, 2018
10,000m under surface level

Biggest games are 60fps. Once upon a time Battlefield had that same argument over COD.

Now their multiplayer games target 60fps, when Metal Gear FP was announced it was the first major 60 fps released on this gen. Then came the Uncharted remasters and Shadow of the Colossus, all had 60fps upgrade because of the demand. It is there and has a bigger traction than the PS3 era.

It would be insanely idiotic not to get this option right off the gate. Bells and whistles are no longer impressing when games like Apex are breaking large market and an expectation to meet back the sales for the obvious budget enhancement.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Yeah that bit is a bit worrying. As games get bigger in size (especially as AAA games start hitting 4K) even 2TB is going to fill up FAST.

My bigger concern is actually external storage. If this is a specially engineered SSD, then external storage goes out the window, doesn't it? I'm not keen on how fast USB C is, or if Sony would have to release their own specialized external drive at a premium price.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this! and it's working perfectly.
.. And all of a sudden throw the stick at people's faces!!

I've never seen the point of endless PR smoke. It diminishes in value everytime you say something. Worse still, that value starts to plummet at break neck/free fall speed when people figure out that what you're saying is just PR.

Cerny spoke all of 3 times this generation. PS announcement, Pro announcement, PS5 Specs. And every time has caused a sea change within his target audience.

If this isn't proof that less is more, then I don't know what is.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
How odd...Why not wait and do their own blowout like for PS4?
This is a blowout? We barely know anything yet. PS4 was unveiled in 2 stages, PS5 might be unveiled in 3 stages:
First: today's info
Second: formal announcement and name of the console with features, tflops and specs and game demos (PS Meeting)
Third: Showing off the console, games lineup, price, launch date

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Full backwards compatibility with PS4 means I'm getting one even if the next Xbox ends up being my main console. Smart.

ovbm

Nov 9, 2017
this is raising my eyebrow. so they made a custom bus? even if that's true they're adding extra expense for no real gain. M.2 drives are extremely fast.

I don't think it would add that much more cost, the "SSD" is very likely a single chip "cache" (32 or 64GB?) directly on the motherboard, very close to the CPU to maximize bandwith.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
An SSD with Performance that's not currently available on PC??

You are telling me that the Ps5 will have an even faster ssd than my 2500/3000 Mbps write/read Nvme SSD in my MacBook Pro 😲

With the rest of the specs...can you please let me edit 4K video and render it on that thing lol

Edit: also where is that thread a month ago about Sony's silence and demise and their inevitable loss of next gen haha

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Developers next-gen are going to be dumb enough to waste GPU resources on some half-assed implementation of raytracing over 60fps, aren't they.

Oct 25, 2017
Laughing at all those threads and people really out here fake concerning about the PS5 not having BC for PS4. Like some of y'all was really on something else.

Oct 31, 2017
lmao team 2019 stay losing

I don't mind someone having thought that a while ago, but man, some people are all up in my face about it. xD~~

Even after Kotaku was saying, "Hey, we spoke to developers, and all of them expect 2020 and none of them are planning for 2019," some people still thought there was enormous wiggle room.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Where does that processor fall for the people who were speculating about different versions of Ryzen or Zen or whatever?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Interesting way to do this, I'm excited. I hope the PSVR doesn't use Move. Surely they will have a better option?

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
The way Cerny is talking about audio sheds more light on the acquisition of the audio middle-ware company a few months ago.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying that both raytracing and an SSD were highly unlikely for a while. Glad to be proven wrong like I was with my 2gb of RAM prediction for the current gen :p

3D audio chip sounds awesome. I always use headphones and the games that support it feel so much more immersive. Very excited about that.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
By the way, given the nature of CELL in PS3, will the dream of PS3 BC remain a dream?

Also, with regards to 8K output, I wonder if this means that it will at least feature UHD BD player like Xbox one X.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
sigh

any GPU with compute supports ray tracing basically. The question is how fast it is... obviously.

There were seriously a lot of Nvidia flag wavers going around and touting AMD could not do this. And yet here we are talking about consoles having it baked in. Navi more than likely has something akin to extra cores or something more CU'S IDK to use Ray tracing.

And I think we will get a demo within this year or close to next year from Unreal showing ray tracing running on AMD. But seriously you can sigh all you want. I know ray tracing has been around for a long ass time, it's been used in films mainly CGI, and animated movies. But took a shit ton of time to render. Now the hardware can do it without sacrificing so many resources gpu performance wise.

I'm no expert, I dabble in making custom scripts for NLE systems, and building them for clients that do this type of shit for a living. So I am not well versed 100% on a technical level. But know enough to understand.

ANd currently to be honest the landscape of tech especially when it comes to graphics has been something that Nvidia has done some shady shit in the past. It's nice to here that AMD is firing back even if lets say RTX cards and what comes next from Nvidia is better at ray tracing than what AMD has. It's nice to not have a false narrative of nvidia being the only guy in town.

Which has been a huge narrative for along time, especially in the PC market same goes for intel.

I truly hope NAVI is a real market changer, even if it may not be the most powerful thing regardless of it's architecture and models that come from it.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
GTA possibly skipping a whole generation is absolute insanity.

Last I heard from one of my contacts, GTA 6 will be first out on current gen consoles and have a remastered version on next gen. But this piece of information goes all the way back to sometime mid of last year. So may be GTA 6 will be out on both current and next gen simultaneously?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Missed the news for the SSD. Like Cerny said, this is not just faster loading time, it is faster loading everything. Remember all of first games on this gen had terrible pop in. Funny that he confirmed the limited speed of web slinging (some complained about it) in Spidey was because of HDD.

I don't think he meant the speed of web slinging was limited by the HDD -more that the speed of moving through any open world is limited by HDD speed. In Spiderman's case I would hope/expect they'd agree on a preferred max speed for movement, and then they'd tailor the engine and streaming assets around that - taking into account the HDD speeds.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
An SSD with Performance that's not currently available on PC??

You are telling me that the Ps5 will have an even faster ssd than my 2500/3000 Mbps write/read Nvme SSD in my MacBook Pro 😲

With the rest of the specs...can you please let me edit 4K video and render it on that thing lol

Edit: also where is that thread a month ago about Sony's silence and demise and their inevitable loss of next gen haha
It's due to PCIE 4.0, which is coming in few months to PC with Ryzen 2.