• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Physical media.

This makes me so giddy. I hope my discs are bc and not just digital.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Cool on BC.

Raytracing stuff, yeah right now that's just buzzwords. Particularly the stuff they're talking about sound design; good games have been doing that for a better while, even Overwatch stood out in this regard. I'm not letting myself get excited about that, the same way 8GB GDDR5 was being bragged about.

No, legit raytraced audio is something different. No games currently have it, only a few tech demos.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That SSD claim is pure nonesense
So you are saying Cerny is lying?

As Cerny points out, "I have an SSD in my laptop, and when I want to change from Excel to Word I can wait 15 seconds." What's built into Sony's next-gen console is something a little more specialized.

To demonstrate, Cerny fires up a PS4 Pro playing Spider-Man, a 2018 PS4 exclusive that he worked on alongside Insomniac Games. (He's not just an systems architect; Cerny created arcade classic Marble Madness when he was all of 19 and was heavily involved with PlayStation and PS2 franchises like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Ratchet and Clank.) On the TV, Spidey stands in a small plaza. Cerny presses a button on the controller, initiating a fast-travel interstitial screen. When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early "low-speed" version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

That's just one consequence of an SSD. There's also the speed with which a world can be rendered, and thus the speed with which a character can move through that world. Cerny runs a similar two-console demonstration, this time with the camera moving up one of Midtown's avenues. On the original PS4, the camera moves at about the speed Spidey hits while web-slinging. "No matter how powered up you get as Spider-Man, you can never go any faster than this," Cerny says, "because that's simply how fast we can get the data off the hard drive." On the next-gen console, the camera speeds uptown like it's mounted to a fighter jet. Periodically, Cerny pauses the action to prove that the surrounding environment remains perfectly crisp. (While the next-gen console will support 8K graphics, TVs that deliver it are few and far between, so we're using a 4K TV.)

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is it possible the new consoles will come out Spring 2020? It seems so early to be talking about them if they come out Fall 2020.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
BC is one of the main things I wanted. Still going to wait until we have a full launch lineup before making any Day 1 decisions though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Oh damn, they're actually doing ray-tracing. Though it's surprising to see Sony talk next-gen this soon.

Deleted member 13250

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when ps4 was announced with 8 gb of gddr5 ram and how everyone was saying it would be so expensive. I hope the same applies here and we are all chuckling at the thought of it being a super expensive console.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember ppl claiming it'd come out in 2019 lol.

Count me excited!

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to switch over to Xbox next gen but seeing that Microsoft no longer cares about exclusives and how Sony now allowing backwards compatibility in their next gen hardware, Sony just won me over

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
That load time improvement is effin bonkers

My expectations for next gen have been kinda destroyed. This is going to be a massive jump.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
On the TV, Spidey stands in a small plaza. Cerny presses a button on the controller, initiating a fast-travel interstitial screen. When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early "low-speed" version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

wow

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cerny on the SSD:

As Cerny points out, "I have an SSD in my laptop, and when I want to change from Excel to Word I can wait 15 seconds." What's built into Sony's next-gen console is something a little more specialized.

To demonstrate, Cerny fires up a PS4 Pro playing Spider-Man, a 2018 PS4 exclusive that he worked on alongside Insomniac Games. (He's not just an systems architect; Cerny created arcade classic Marble Madness when he was all of 19 and was heavily involved with PlayStation and PS2 franchises like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Ratchet and Clank.) On the TV, Spidey stands in a small plaza. Cerny presses a button on the controller, initiating a fast-travel interstitial screen. When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early "low-speed" version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

That's just one consequence of an SSD. There's also the speed with which a world can be rendered, and thus the speed with which a character can move through that world. Cerny runs a similar two-console demonstration, this time with the camera moving up one of Midtown's avenues. On the original PS4, the camera moves at about the speed Spidey hits while web-slinging. "No matter how powered up you get as Spider-Man, you can never go any faster than this," Cerny says, "because that's simply how fast we can get the data off the hard drive." On the next-gen console, the camera speeds uptown like it's mounted to a fighter jet. Periodically, Cerny pauses the action to prove that the surrounding environment remains perfectly crisp. (While the next-gen console will support 8K graphics, TVs that deliver it are few and far between, so we're using a 4K TV.)

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't even know HDD's had this limitation. Those differences sounds crazy.

That's just one consequence of an SSD. There's also the speed with which a world can be rendered, and thus the speed with which a character can move through that world. Cerny runs a similar two-console demonstration, this time with the camera moving up one of Midtown's avenues. On the original PS4, the camera moves at about the speed Spidey hits while web-slinging. "No matter how powered up you get as Spider-Man, you can never go any faster than this," Cerny says, "because that's simply how fast we can get the data off the hard drive." On the next-gen console, the camera speeds uptown like it's mounted to a fighter jet. Periodically, Cerny pauses the action to prove that the surrounding environment remains perfectly crisp.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Day one for me! BC with PS4 and PSVR is all I needed confirmation of, I am happy to continue on with Sony as PS4 support has been fantastic.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I care about is the internal cooling system - did they confirm this will sound like a rocket ship blasting off or a Prius?