• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
This is too big. Definitely building a PC before Starfield now. Though it might be a Minecraft scenario where the big money making games would be put out everywhere. And there is no way you can stop Doom ports from happening, pretty sure they just spread through osmosis or some shit. We are in for an interesting generation not matter what scenarios play out that's for damn sure. Holy shit.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
We are on page 145, and I think by this thread's ending, we'll make it to the end folks. Just sit tight.

o71b2Ka.jpg
I was thinking the same thing, Honestly hoping for more specifics in the coming months but for now it's safest to assume that PC is the place to go if your truly looking at games from Bethesda in the near future. Wonder if Bethesda was in some kind of financial trouble to lead to them becoming a part of microsoft, outside of financial security what did they gain?

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Dude you have no idea what you're talking about. Sony Pictures posted a record breaking profit last quarter despite COVID. Sony Music is the biggest music publisher in the industry, they're doing the opposite of struggling. Sony has a whole has been doing gangbusters these last few years. Where are you even getting any of this from?

He still thinks it's 2006 and it's still being run by Howard Stringer.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
a few people keep talking about market cap when it comes to buying companies. market cap does not equal cash on hand.

Microsoft has an over 130 billion scrooge mcduck cash pile right now. Sony I believe is between 20-30 billion a few years ago, growing, but still.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Sony in danger at all so I don't get the "sink or swim" attitude. I do hope this kind of spooks Sony off from major acquisitions, but it'll probably do the opposite - but I hope it doesn't. Maybe they'll get MS on the line and cut a deal.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Phil leaves it up to studios, but I wonder how many will move on to new Ips or continue franchises

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here's what happened today. Any ideas of getting MS out of the gaming space vanished. 3rd parties will think twice before eliminating the Xbox Eco system out of their game with an exclusive tie-up bid. MS has full control of it's destiny in the gaming space once again! Oh yea, MS has games now!

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I did not expect to wake up to this news.

Clearly this is all a ploy so that Master Chief or Doom Marine can be in Smash and be Echo fighters of each other like the Belmonts. /s

I'm all seriousness I do wonder what kind of knock on effects we have in store to see.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft can't expand their first party output indefinitely. There will come a tipping point (we may already be there), beyond which, it is not financially viable to support all of their studios, while giving all their games away for "free" as part of Gamepass.

They're not giving games away on game pass, you're paying up to $15 a month for it depending on your sub. You gotta remember that most people don't buy every new release day one, they might buy the yearly CoD and Madden. That's money locked up and reserved for their usuals. If you have subs to gamepass, that's a revolving door.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
For people saying Sony should buy a publisher to counter this (add about ~20-30% to the below as they'd have to pay a premium. And that's assuming no bidding war). There are no cheap options.

Take Two - 18.7B
EA - 37B
Activsion - 62.5B
Ubisoft - 10.5B
CD Projekt - 10.5B
Konami - 6B
Capcom - 7.5B
Square Enix - 7.8B
Nintendo - 75B

Sony Corp only has around 9 billion USD of free cash flow as opposed to Microsoft's 45 billion....

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I didn't plan on getting an Xbox this generation (though Sony's $100CAD 1st party titles gave me pause), but this is huge. The value of gamepass cannot be understated now. What is the gaming landscape going to look like after the generation? How is Sony going to respond? It's all so much to process.

Anyway, I'll probably be getting an Xbox now.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Nice console warring

It's not console warring, it's the absolute truth. Sony acquiring whole studios and an assortment of 3rd party game delay exclusives, modes, hasn't been met with the same kind of vitriol that this thread has seen, and it's not like you can't play these games on at least one other platform. It's too much.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
a few people keep talking about market cap when it comes to buying companies. market cap does not equal cash on hand.

Microsoft has an over 130 billion scrooge mcduck cash pile right now. Sony I believe is between 20-30 billion a few years ago, growing, but still.
They've got 33 billion cash on hand right now, jumped to 25 from 2018 then to 30 from 2019, now 33. And since acquisitions are rarely done with all cash(usually cash + stock), people are really exaggerating Sony's posiiton here. If they think it's worth it, they'll respond. Though imo, they should secure a few developers they're partners with, not full ass publishers

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Best you can hope for is they do late ports to other platforms but that's not a guarantee.

By the time some of these games even launch the Series S will be like $200 anyways.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
MS has show they at least can make there games avaible on other platforms if they want to. Guess elder scrolls 6 showing up on ps5 isn't any less likely then last of us 2 showing up on pc at this point. Ya gotta believe!

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So do you believe that Insomniac's game should've been multiplat, considering Spidey used to be multiplat?

This comparison makes no sense. Marvel's Spider-Man on PS4 is not the same 'IP' the PS2 games for example.

Sony buying Insomniac hasn't locked Marvel's Spider-Man to PS consoles because Sony had the rights to that game franchise already. Don't be disingenuous.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Microsoft seems particularly altruistic. I think they could do something port former Bethesda IP games to other platforms once they become platinum hits on Xbox.

Joo

May 25, 2018
This is competition. This a huge competitive play. This is the thing that everyone always says is great for the gaming industry; "more competition". Microsoft just got a whole lot more competitive and now it's somehow "not healthy for the industry". I think it's good that Microsoft is putting their money where their mouth is. It's one thing to say "We're all about games"...it's another thing to put $7.5 Billion on the line to prove it. If Google or Apple want to make the same kind of play, I'd say "go for it". More competition is going to make for a better gaming landscape for everyone. Apple is not about to buy Ubisoft though. Don't kid yourself.
You're simplifying thing to a massive degree. "More competition" can mean many things, but the absolute worse form of it is a consolidation of established products from a large consumer market to a much smaller one. It just isn't healthy as it just takes the games away from people who would've 100% bought them, and this kind of practice will now surely just escalate. This isn't about proving anything.

I see many Xbox gamers here overjoyed, but what then when Sony or Google or Apple announces that they've bought some big third party publisher and now you have to buy their system to play the games. People aren't just going left and right buying all the consoles. An overwhelming majority only has one, that's it and it isn't going to change. How is this a good thing for consumers or makes gaming better for everyone? Having creative control in fewer hands is newer a good thing. I guess we'll have to wait until that day until most realise that this is just a really bad thing for consumers as a whole.

MS just spent 7.5B which doesn't really go towards making games better and just takes many established franchises away from millions of gamers. That money would've made wonders to gaming in general if it was spent to form new studios.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Funny, I'm in the acceptance "moving on" phase. When I said that I'm done with gaming, I was told I'm being too emotional. What can I say, when half the games I like are no longer on my preferred system, it sucks the fun right out of gaming.
I mean, many could say that for any first party titles or even titles like FFXVI. Acquisitions happen mate, but if gaming has worn thin on you then no need to push to make something enjoyable when it's not. Just be mindful that games being locked away from other platforms isn't new, nor is it new to Microsoft.