• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oculus Quest yay or nay?

• I will be there day one!

Votes: 74 15.6%
  • I'm keeping an eye on it. I might pick it up a bit later.

Votes: 154 32.5%
  • Only PC/Console VR for me.

Votes: 110 23.2%
  • I'm waiting for next-gen consumer VR (eye-tracking etc.) before joining the medium.

Votes: 69 14.6%
  • I'm not interested in Virtual Reality.

Votes: 67 14.1%

• Total voters

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I have a PSVR and don't plan on getting another set right now, but I'm still excited and hope it does really well.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely troubling. I'm enough of a slob that I wouldn't actually care if it required a USB thumb drive sticking out, but it's been a year with the Go and you still can't use USB for storage. So, IMO, there's not a whole lot of reason to be optimistic on this end.

USB sticks have gotten pretty small. You can certainly buy some high capacity and low profile ones so there is that at least

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not at all interested in being locked down to a closed platform, it'd be a more compelling product if i could hook it up to a PC or otherwise stream my PCs feed to the device.

I appreciate that it pushes untethered / external sensor-less VR to the forefront though.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be at BB when they open on Tuesday like a crazy person in the hopes of snagging one, even though it isn't confirmed to release then. I've been so amped about the Quest since the reveal at Connect 5, these last few days (fingers crossed) are crawling a bit. Plan on pre-ordering some Index controllers too. Can't wait to take this over to friends' homes to demo it or to a big park to test the arena tracking in a wide open area.

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
Yeah I really hope Facebook releases both the S and the Quest tomorrow. I've been champing at the bit for a while for both, but especially the Quest.

Deleted member 19024

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm very interested in getting a Quest. I received an Oculus Go last week as a birthday present and after tinkering with it for a few days I really liked it, but with the Quest on the horizon, I returned it and will put the credit towards the Quest.

I've been waiting for higher quality, untethered VR before jumping in and this looks to be the right starting point for me. The Go was far too limited in horsepower and with the single controller.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
4faqx86hd8v21.jpg

Display units going up at Best Buy per /r/oculus

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Zero interest, and I'm a big fan of VR.

• It's its own, new platform with its separate, limited library that you'll mostly need to rebuy.
  • It's specs are based on a mobile device.
  • I won't be able to leverage my gaming PC to increase performance.

I don't think it will sell well, though I'd be happy to be wrong as the more people using VR right now, the better it is for the entire medium.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
i already have the oculus rift and i'm still tempted.

waiting for review about battery life and performance.

also, can i play my oculus and steam vr library with this? gorn and superhot in a empty space without the risk to break shit will be glorious.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

• It's its own, new platform with its separate, limited library that you'll mostly need to rebuy.

I don't think it will sell well, though I'd be happy to be wrong as the more people using VR right now, the better it is for the entire medium.

Agree with these critques and ill add some of my own thoughts

- They did say they wouldn't get in the way of sideloading/opening up the hardware..... but I have heard this spiel before soo

- Mobile specs should be enough for the games I want to play though once Foveated rendering is more common place then it could be even better for the next generation of stand alones

- The lack of Hybrid PC connectivity is annoying and I'm with ya here. No reason they can have this function both ways

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
where's the option of "Im very interested in the technology, but I don't want to fund facebook, so i'll just get the Index instead"

This is me too. I even have an Oculus Rift and sort of regret buying it due to Facebook. I'm looking forward to what Valve is coming out with.

I just don't trust Facebook to not slowly inundate the Oculus ecosystem with everything Facebook. I don't have a FB account, and definitely don't want one in order to use my VR. I think Oculus Venues requires a FB account, so it's already happening now.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am VERY hyped for the Quest but I am going to wait on a few solid reviews and impressions. I already have the PSVR and the Oculus GO. The GO is really great but the limitations on the software side stop me from using it more. I love it when I use it, even with the 3DoF and the super limited pointer controller - games like UltraWings and Virtual Virtual Reality just work really well in these limits, and are both very robust experiences on such a "budget" device. It showed me that the potential is indeed there, and I love that I can just unplug it from the charger, pop it on, and play. The lack of setup is a game changer.

I just want to make sure the tracking works as well as I hope it does before I dive in.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Rift and I'm more interested in waiting for a next-gen Rift. The Index seems interesting but I've had better experiences with native Oculus SDK games than games that use SteamVR.

Depending on how far out a Rift 2 is, I might consider a Rift S in the meantime as a stopgap. Not interested in the Quest at all; I want a PC backing the headset for versatility and graphical fidelity. The headset being wired has never been a big issue to me.

Is the Oculus Rift S not the Oculus Rift 2? Are they making another headset for the PC?

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Saber with zero wires? I'm there Day One. All-in-one is the next big step for VR adoption, and I can't wait to let my friends and family try this out.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i hope it blows the lid off of vr and get's the medium at least partially mainstream. if it sells 10+ million i'll consider it a big success.

with aggressive marketing i think it'll get there too.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all about the idea of the Quest, but I'm worried about it's software future. The games mostly don't appeal to me at all and I think that's how it's gonna be for most of it's life. BUT it will be nice to play Beat Saber and so I'm picking it up day one. I don't think I'll have many games for it at the end of the day and without that killer app, I think it will be successful as far as VR goes, but I doubt it'll change things as radically as people expect. Software is most important and I don't think VR has nailed that yet.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all about the idea of the Quest, but I'm worried about it's software future. The games mostly don't appeal to me at all and I think that's how it's gonna be for most of it's life. BUT it will be nice to play Beat Saber and so I'm picking it up day one. I don't think I'll have many games for it at the end of the day and without that killer app, I think it will be successful as far as VR goes, but I doubt it'll change things as radically as people expect. Software is most important and I don't think VR has nailed that yet.

Sideloading is nice and maybe hackers opening the platform up with allow us to do even more with it

Who knows.

I do not like the arbitrary restrictions being placed on memory. As soon as a viable stand alone competitor is available i may jump off the oculus wagon

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017

That first bullet point is what brought me to super hyped down to zero interest. I was for some reason positive that games I bought on the Rift store that will release on Quest would not require me to repurchase. Apparently, that's entirely up to the developer.

I think I'll wait for a deep sale of the Quest or just wait until some other, more powerful hardware becomes wireless.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Missing a vote for "this is one step forward two steps back device" or "I tried it and that convinced me I'm not getting one".
But yea hype gone here - although Beat Saber on Quest should be a VR medium seller if there ever was one.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Missing a vote for "this is one step forward two steps back device" or "I tried it and that convinced me I'm not getting one".
But yea hype gone here - although Beat Saber on Quest should be a VR medium seller if there ever was one.

Yeah its a shame that its mostly a half measure and a bit of a cash grab but it could still be amazing

Its still completely wireless, 6DOF and great tracking. I just hope people can push it further than facebook cares to

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think it's too soon. The tech specs don't seem to indicate this will have much longevity. Perhaps if they used a Snapdragon 855 or later. That also raises the question of is this going to be an iterative platform because if there's a Quest 2 in 2 years, then what does that mean for Gen 1 owners? Of course they can make this device the Wii of VR and target the really low end, but they are definitely going to have to come up with compelling software. They don't have the Nintendo brand or IP to carry it, and most of the games they've shown don't really trump anything PSVR has been offering.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
If they could somehow get Elite Dangerous running on this I'd be in for a buy but since it's not available I'm just going to go for the new Rift as I don't have one yet.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's too soon. The tech specs don't seem to indicate this will have much longevity. Perhaps if they used a Snapdragon 855 or later. That also raises the question of is this going to be an iterative platform because if there's a Quest 2 in 2 years, then what does that mean for Gen 1 owners? Of course they can make this device the Wii of VR and target the really low end, but they are definitely going to have to come up with compelling software. They don't have the Nintendo brand or IP to carry it, and most of the games they've shown don't really trump anything PSVR has been offering.

Foveated Rendering could be a gamechanger in the Mobile VR department opening up more games being doable on the platform

It will need to be iterative to keep up. And hopefully we get more stand alone competitors as well

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017

What shocks me the most about the Quest is that they didn't have some of their cool software available for it day one. Like no Stormlands or the other games they have coming to the Rift. You would have thought they would have made to nail that down, but it just seems to me the real software innovation is still going to be on the PC VR side and the Quest will get a bunch of hand-me-down games/software. That's the most frustrating part about this for me.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the andreno 640 would have been nice since it has nearly a 1tf of performance, but it also would have made the headset much more expensive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I was thinking day-one purchase but I recently got an Odyssey+ because they went on sale for $300 and I'm really happy with that. I'm still hyped for Quest but I'm waiting to see how stuff runs and if some of the games (mainly Dead and Buried 2 and Vader Immortal) will run on my Odyssey+

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I was thinking I'd likely be there day one, but some unexpected home repairs ate the money I had ear marked for it, so I'm in 'wait and see' camp instead. Ho hum.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
day one homie

I'm extremely interested in this from a development perspective, but I'm also really looking forward to having a convenient and competent VR all-in-one for playing games on.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
All my hype is for the Valve Index. But I might pick up a quest at a later stage.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't decided if I'm heading to Best Buy tomorrow or not. It's 50/50 whether I day one it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Have a psvr and WMR so don't need this. But was pleasantly surprised by the quality of oculus go so I have high hopes for quest. 3dof killed my interest in go but this being full 6 dof and hand tracking is great

Price may be a barrier. my wife enjoyed beat Saber a lot but on the PC it means waiting for me to set it up for her. This being self contained is great for that

If someone works out how to mod in songs on beat Saber I'll be in like a flash. Or if it also offered tethering to a PC

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder where the best place might be for getting one in London? Only online or maybe John Lewis?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Rift owner here, I hope it's a success but I probably won't pick it up. Cross-buy options are cool, but there are some limitations that are just too apparent. I can't say I'm happy with Oculus' current direction. I follow job openings and whatnot and it's clear we're going to get some seriously cool shit in the future based on what's happening over there, but their vision just ain't doin' it for me at the moment. Here's to hoping I'm incredibly wrong. I hope that they make the Quest extremely accessible and bring a lot of new people into the medium, but I'm skeptical of the impact it will have.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on wait and see mode.

It's important to me that I am able to run unsigned software not from the Oculus Store.

Beat Sabre, for example, only interests me if I can mod it and import my songs from PC version. Things like that.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

It's important to me that I am able to run unsigned software not from the Oculus Store.

Beat Sabre, for example, only interests me if I can mod it and import my songs from PC version. Things like that.

Same

Its part of the reason im pissed they dont have expandable storage out of the box. Its fucking annoying that huge ammounts of flash memory can be had for cheap and they lock this in at 64GB on the $400 model to pull some damn apple shit

Hopefully i can do custom songs and maybe hackers can bust this thing wide open to support USB memory

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Did the Go allow you to do that? Are we expecting the quest to be similar to the go in terms of OS/app signing etc?

Maybe nobody cared about the go as it was limited to 3dof and they'll try harder with quest?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 questions:

So can I just hook this up to my powerful computer and play PC VR games?

If so, are games on the Oculus store cross-buy?

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've never even seen VR in real life. As far as I am aware, is it just 3D visuals in a headset?

Even then, I don't have a gaming PC. Is this the route to go down?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I've never even seen VR in real life. As far as I am aware, is it just 3D visuals in a headset?

It's 3D visuals distorted to look like you are actually in the world, that track every little head motion to increase the illusion, allowing you to look around in a full 360 degrees, with 3D audio added. Without a PC, the Oculus Quest or PSVR are definitely the best ways to go. The Quest in particular is going to be super simple to set up, since it has no wires or external sensors to hook up,, and has better motion-tracked controllers acting as your hands in VR, while PSVR is powered by a PS4 so games will have better graphics on that platform.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I may buy one for my Father depending on the reception of the Quest. I'm waiting for Valve's headset info to drop before making a decision to go mobile or tethered (high-end). I hope there is a future for mobile segment (6-dof) and tethered to co-exist.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

It's stereoscopic visuals at a very high framerate, with the viewpoint tied exactly to any head tilt or movement.

The results are very convincing. The feeling of "being there" is simply like no other medium. 3D viewing on a flat screen doesn't even begin to come close.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

It's stereoscopic visuals at a very high framerate, with the viewpoint tied exactly to any head tilt or movement.

The results are very convincing. The feeling of "being there" is simply like no other medium. 3D viewing on a flat screen doesn't even begin to come close.

Plus the motion controls. If you were around when the Wii was unveiled and were super excited? And then got it home and realized the motion controls sucked and were bummed? High end VR motion controls are exactly what you expected the Wii was going to be like. Flawless tracking. Quest has some limitations because of the cameras, but it's still going to be amazing if you never did high end motion tracking before.