• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

uploadvr.com

Oculus Quest 2 Leaked By Facebook, Features XR2, 'Almost 4K Display'

It looks like Oculus Quest 2 leaked again, and this time by Facebook itself. A ton of content surrounding the rumored device, which does indeed appear to be called Oculus Quest 2, has been discovered on Facebook’s Blueprint website. Some of it’s been taken down but not before

Suddenly got leaked. It's not really a new generation, more like a refresh - but it's a better headset in every way for a (hopefully) $300 price point, so it's a very important step forward.

Edit: May be almost 2K x 2K per eye or just almost 2K per eye. Unknown at this time.

You will hear more details at Facebook Connect on Wednesday, including the official reveal.

Last edited:

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Shame Facebook is playing out to the worst kind of fears people had when Oculus was acquired.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Neat. I love the Quest and, even though I'll probably sit this one out, it's nice to see it being iterated and improved. It is the future, for sure, this untethered VR.

Now if only Facebook could keep their integration claws out of Oculus a little more.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
If the price is really $299 that is an absolute INSANE value for the money. An XR2 is basically state of the art SOC.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell do you leak an entire line of product videos on your own website two days ahead of the announcement?

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
That resolution is insane, regretting my Index purchase a little.

keku

Apr 23, 2019
Sounds phenomenal, looking forward to the official release. I hope they add some kind of wired connection to PCVR without compression and some form of wireless too

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Shiiiiiit.

So like... How does this compare to the HP Reverb G2 specifically in terms of using it for PCVR.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
UrAverageConsumer is my new favourite thing in the world and I wish to immediately change my Xbox profile name.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, better than oculus Rift S in term of quality/price right?

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
If they improve the signal compression of the "oculus link" mode further I see no reason to buy a tethered VR headset anymore going forward. You get the best of both worlds.

That resolution is insane, regretting my Index purchase a little.

Is 2Kx2K that much higher than the index? Does 2K mean 2560x1440 per eye?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See I think Nintendo could do something like this at a similar price using the presumably upgraded Switch chipset and sell a lot more than Occulus would.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
If they improve the signal compression of the "oculus link" mode further I see no reason to buy a tethered VR headset anymore going forward. You get the best of both worlds.

Is 2Kx2K that much higher than the index? Does 2K mean 2560x1440 per eye?
No. Screens are square. Also, 2k as 1440p is bad. But I suppose what they're saying is that the resolution is 2x1440x1440.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Just think of all data mining they can do with their new headset! Though to be fair it looks like a good headset for people who don't value an ounce of privacy.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
It's near 2k per eye. With one 4k screen you can't perfectly split it in two, so you lose a portion of the pixels.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I'm in. It looks lighter, has a next gen processor and a decent screen res. I wonder if they went with two panels or one?

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I think they could offer something like this for $399, plus the ability to play Switch games and have 1st party Nintendo VR experiences ... it would definitely shake up this market.
I'd wager 500-600, maybe 400 in a couple of years. It's all kind of moot anyway since Nintendo won't do it for years to come.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I'm guessing 1440x2880 is the resolution then, I think that would give you 2k per eye.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd wager 500-600, maybe 400 in a couple of years. It's all kind of moot anyway since Nintendo won't do it for years to come.

The Switch firmware indicates a Switch model with an exclusive external display exists, so I guess we'll see what that is.

I think this pricing more reflects the fact that higher resolution displays really don't cost that much money any more. They're so commonplace in so many devices (displays above 1080p res) and so massively mass produced that I suppose it was only a matter of time.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo will try their hand with AR/MR more than VR, VR doesn't fit well with Nintendo's culture IMO.

Except Labo VR has like literally dozens of different VR experiments crammed into it and they also have tried it with Mario and Zelda games. I think that was testing the waters.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering what this means for PSVR2. Wireless headset with this resolution and price is going to be a gamechanger for a lot of people.