• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What rating do you think this game will get?

• 90+

Votes: 98 12.2%
  • 80+

Votes: 475 59.2%
  • 70+

Votes: 99 12.3%
  • 60+

Votes: 13 1.6%
  • "Garbage like Xenoblade 2"

Votes: 117 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gin

May 2, 2018
Also this: ...

Hope it goes to 99!
The track he refers to is the final battle theme!

It's production sounds so grand, I will be dumbfounded if it was somehow left out of the game!

So good - it feels like I am fighting some badass Atma Weapon again
Cant wait for this game to drop!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a bit bizarre. The 8 characters all join up together but they seldom interact with each others. They are also the only playable characters. So they all join together to do their own self contained story? It's pretty awkward in execution. If you wanted to do self contained stories why did they need to join each other? I think people expected an overarching story to have interactions between all of them and because well Square used to do that before... Rudra no Hihou and Live a Live which are both Square's RPG had a final chapter where you play with everyone together. Even SaGa Frontier which is a half finished mess had a developers room unlocked at the end if you had a save with all completed adventures.

I don't mind it at all though. It's just so odd.

It's all a reference to The Canterbury Tales, Octopath's narrative inspiration. Look at the tavern option to switch whose story you're following: "Hear a Tale." The protagonists are telling each other their stories during their travels together—that's why they're alone in their personal story scenes, but banter outside of it.

They should have woven that into the narrative more explicitly, and without awkward exceptions (recruitment interjecting before people's first bosses, rather than recruiting at tavern), but that's seemingly the intent. Fits the open-ended roleplaying the game's about.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It's just a bit bizarre. The 8 characters all join up together but they seldom interact with each others. They are also the only playable characters. So they all join together to do their own self contained story? It's pretty awkward in execution. If you wanted to do self contained stories why did they need to join each other? I think people expected an overarching story to have interactions between all of them and because well Square used to do that before... Rudra no Hihou and Live a Live which are both Square's RPG had a final chapter where you play with everyone together. Even SaGa Frontier which is a half finished mess had a developers room unlocked at the end if you had a save with all completed adventures.

I don't mind it at all though. It's just so odd.
Now, I understand why that is an issue in particular.

What I don't understand is how some lament the eight stories approach altogether and speak as if the the united storyline would have superior story quality.

If anything, the writing would have been at the same level, in a typical JRPG story set up.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. There's a lot of little moments like that where it feels like they just didn't put in the necessary polish. I think my brain really broke when even Tressa's own parents didn't recognize her. It's like... what?
Yeah that's really stupid and weird, what a strange detail to miss. And then her parents tell her "you're our best customer after all" when she's leaving and I'm pretty sure they didn't mean it like that but I took it literally lol.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Now, I understand why that is an issue in particular.

What I don't understand is how some lament the eight stories approach altogether and speak as if the the united storyline would have superior story quality.

If anything, the writing would have been at the same level, in a typical JRPG story set up.

I want some kind of justification for why these people are helping each other or even interacting telling each other their story in the first place. This is the first time "because videogame" is the answer I'm being given for an rpg.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath Traveler |OT| This is My Story
Octopath Traveler |OT| The Path Not Taken

Last edited:

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I need to stop listening to the OST on full repeat... God damn I'm far more antsy today than I had been the last few days because of it.

The music reminds me of such a wide variety of other RPGs. There are definitely the obvious SNES era FF's, but also a mix of music that reminds me of the Lunar series and SaGa.
same. ive been listening to the whole thing every day

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I want some kind of justification for why these people are helping each other or even interacting telling each other their story in the first place. This is the first time "because videogame" is the answer I'm being given for an rpg.
The idea, perhaps poorly communicated by the game, is that they are actually not.

They are, at least according to some, telling each other their stories in a tavern and the participation of the listeners in those stories is just them self-inserting.

Man, this all should've just been explicit if true.

Again I get the whole awkwardness of them being cypher party members for each other and say that they should have made unique companions for each traveler.

However, that's not enough for me to turn away from this unique selling point in favor of "what Tokyo RPG factory has been doing except better, maybe".

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack so far is great and the battle system seems like it could be great with more going on.
Guess its time to wait and see how the full game turns out

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Thing about the survey is what would I do versus what would I like to make a character do :P.

Ended up with Scholar/Cleric though.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'm all done and can confirm once again that unless there's some crazy super hidden thing that I don't know how to trigger, Shadowforks is full of shit. If someone reading this has beaten the whole game and knows if there's something obscure at the end to find or activate, please do DM me.

My review will be up Thursday morning at 9am ET on Kotaku.com.

Thank you for your effort and and putting up with all the accusations and such. Really looking forward to reading your review.

If it was someone else, I would be worried that all the negativity had ruined the experience of the game for you, but I trust your professionalism and know you are going to give the game a fair shake.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I just finished the demo. Man, I'm looking forward to this release on Friday. I haven't played my Switch in many months either. Octopath Traveler is exactly the type of unique jrpg experience I was looking forward to when buying this system.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

People have brought up in this thread a lot of time SaGa series. Having said that, a lot of classic JRPG in NES/SNES actually have the same "problem" where your party member doesn't have much reason to band together.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I have never cared much about 16bit Final Fantasy type games, but this game got my attention ever since it's reveal.

I'm sold. I really like open world and non linear structure. Gonna pick the game on friday.

Nov 13, 2017
I remember the last time a website went to lengths to push a narrative (heh) of false information they were banned. Does Resetera ban or blackout certain URLs from being posted or linked to?

NintendoLife did not write that lol. The guy who tweeted works freelance for them and Game Revolution sometimes.

You can't just blacklist someone on association.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So who's the best character to start with? Since they'll be in your party the whole game you obviously want someone who will be useful in just about every situation

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
So who's the best character to start with? Since they'll be in your party the whole game you obviously want someone who will be useful in just about every situation

There really isn't any one particularly best character because each character has their own primary job and abilities.

Also keep in mind the first character you pick is locked in for the duration until you finish their questline. So who you pick first entirely depends on what you want as your first starting role. Want a strong frontline fighter, go with Olberic. Want a Caster type Primrose or Cyrus are good, need a Healer? Opheria is essentially a White Mage.

Alfyn might be good since he seems to be a jack-of-all trades sort with decent front line fighting ability and his Apothecary class gives him some additional control as a support healer.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yep. SaGa Frontier is essentially this. It's one of my favorite PSX era RPGs, and it some ways Octopath Traveler shares some concepts with it.

I'm sure if new SaGa is released today, people will complain: "This girl join me to get a Rune, but after she joins she has done and said nothing"

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm quite sure PSX era also has JRPG where some of the party members have little to no reason to join.
Yep. SaGa Frontier is essentially this. It's one of my favorite PSX era RPGs, and it some ways Octopath Traveler shares some concepts with it.

No one will ever care about SaGa in any capacity in the west. But even then story-driven SaGas are more logical. Frontier criss-crosses with playable characters, and each chapter gets dedicated characters in which some of them moves the plot. In Octopath it's a band of people who will not have anything to say about stories other than their own so it's largely about 1 character, so even SaGa fans will be in for a loop since you don't recruit characters in someone's chapters

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm sure if new SaGa is released today, people will complain: "This girl join me to get a Rune, but after she joins she has done and said nothing"
Except the whole point of Octopath's marketing, title and uniqueness is "8 Characters' stories come together", so I don't think this is a faithful argument to make at all. I'll reserve judgement for when the damn thing is out and being played, but the criticism is completely valid and fair.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Survey came out as Thief / Merchant for me but I'm thinking about going Hunter with Thief being a close second.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Except the whole point of Octopath's marketing, title and uniqueness is "8 Characters' stories come together", so I don't think this is a faithful argument to make at all. I'll reserve judgement for when the damn thing is out and being played, but the criticism is completely valid and fair.
Have Square or Nintendo said the stories come together at some point? For instance, the page Nintendo has on their site for the game states "Choose from eight characters, each with their own distinct story".

I think it's natural people would assume the stories would meld at some point, but I'm not sure SE or Nintendo outright stated they would.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Have Square or Nintendo said the stories come together at some point? For instance, the page Nintendo has on their site for the game states "Choose from eight characters, each with their own distinct story".

I think it's natural people would assume the stories would meld at some point, but I'm not sure SE or Nintendo outright stated they would.

Their own distinct stories and yet we have the other characters participating in them but ignore that because they aren't really there and don't give it much thought because its just a videogame.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

I'll go ahead and say "semantics". As you said, it's natural to assume because it's been heavily implied from the start, since the first concepts and the working title were announced. I don't know if they ever said this exact wording in some interview, but I feel it's dishonest to use "they never explicitely said.." as a discussion counterpoint. They may not have, but given the point and name of the game since it's inception, it's a valid discussion to be had.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll go ahead and say "semantics". As you said, it's natural to assume because it's been heavily implied from the start, since the first concepts and the working title were announced. I don't know if they ever said this exact wording in some interview, but I feel it's dishonest to use "they never explicitely said.." as a discussion counterpoint. They may not have, but given the point and name of the game since it's inception, it's a valid discussion to be had.
Sure, it's a problem with the game that may keep people away. I think it's a pretty simple case where if someone doesn't find the actual game, rather than what they thought it was, appealing to just not buy it or wait for it to be cheaper. Not sure it needs to become a discussion about the legitimacy of the marketing. It's always going to stretch and bend the truth of what a product is, but if they never said the stories would converge I personally feel holding it against them becomes a bit tricky. It's disappointing for sure and I can see why some would choose not to buy it though.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

No where have I seen marketing for Octopath saying 8 stories come together.

No one will ever care about SaGa in any capacity in the west. But even then story-driven SaGas are more logical. Frontier criss-crosses with playable characters, and each chapter gets dedicated characters in which some of them moves the plot. In Octopath it's a band of people who will not have anything to say about stories other than their own so it's largely about 1 character, so even SaGa fans will be in for a loop since you don't recruit characters in someone's chapters

I thought the issue is minimal interaction between playable characters?
SaGa has similar issue. For example in Unlimited:SaGa, Judy is on a quest to find her family members, but can be recruited in Laura's story.
However, in Laura story, you will not encounter any of Judy's family members and she will just be another silent character after her recruitment dialogue.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The poster had given photographic proof with his name on it.
That's not what I'm talking about.
This website and ESPECIALLY where it has been taken from is a nest of immature trolls of the worst kind. It's posted on a console war part of a rarely intersting forum ("biggest" video game "journalist" website forum). I'm French and I know this place enough to say it's just a useless bag of trash.
I also got more informations from it and it's clearly not reliable as a review.

And thus, even if the person really played it. What they say shows a lot of contradictions. It feels like it's there only to be negative as much as possible on whatever.

Doesn't make the game better or worse. Just gives a negative feeling ahead. Exactly as planned from someone posting there.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The game is out at my place according to several people on forums. Going to get a copy if true.

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What even implies the stories come together? The name implies it's 8 separate paths.

The reason people assumed the stories would come together isn't based on anything said or implied, it's based on usual JRPG tropes. You could argue that they should have explicitly said otherwise for sure, but the idea that they've somehow implied the stories come together? I'm gonna need receipts.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the issue is minimal interaction between playable characters?
SaGa has similar issue. For example in Unlimited:SaGa, Judy is on a quest to find her family members, but can be recruited in Laura's story.
However, in Laura story, you will not encounter any of Judy's family members and she will just be another silent character after her recruitment dialogue.

Yes, main characters don't interact much, but each chapter has their own unique characters that does. And also there is probably only 2 people on ERA that likes Unlimited Saga anyway.

That's not what I'm talking about.
This website and ESPECIALLY where it has been taken from is a nest of immature trolls of the worst kind. It's posted on a console war part of a rarely intersting forum ("biggest" video game "journalist" website forum). I'm French and I know this place enough to say it's just a useless bag of trash.
I also got more informations from it and it's clearly not reliable as a review.

And thus, even if the person really played it. What they say shows a lot of contradictions. It feels like it's there only to be negative as much as possible on whatever.

Doesn't make the game better or worse. Just gives a negative feeling ahead. Exactly as planned from someone posting there.

I've translated the poster's impressions myself on resetera and I haven't seen anything contradicting himself. He's not even overly negative of the game.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/octopath-traveler-preview-thread.53684/page-39#post-10180674

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
This "stories doesn't meet" thing is getting very boring.
It doesn't make any sense to assume it would from the beginning.

The game is NAMED octopath. Not : "The group of 8 world saviors joining together" or whatever.

The only thing close to a relation between them we saw was an artwork of them at a table.

I'm happy it is as it is because Jrpg needs new style of games. And maybe Octopath can prepare the way for Saga Scarlet Grace. Which might deserve even more success.

Last edited: