• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What rating do you think this game will get?

• 90+

Votes: 98 12.2%
  • 80+

Votes: 475 59.2%
  • 70+

Votes: 99 12.3%
  • 60+

Votes: 13 1.6%
  • "Garbage like Xenoblade 2"

Votes: 117 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Secondary jobs give a character a percentage bonus to relevant statistics for the job, as well as access to all of the weapons and abilities that job can use/learn (in addition to their fixed primary job). Upon learning certain numbers of abilities in a job, the character will gain access to passive skills, which they can equip four of from any job, even if they aren't in that job. That's where the majority of character customizability comes from.

To learn abilities, characters must expend JP, which is gained after fights, and each character has their own pool of it universally usable for any unlocked job. JP costs for abilities scale as you purchase them within each job. For instance, Olberic's final Warrior ability might cost 5,000 JP, but at the same time his first Apothecary ability would cost 30 JP, and his second 100 JP.

To make Olberic a really durable tank, as an example, you might make his secondary job Hunter, while purchasing abilities in Apothecary to unlock the +500 HP passive skill.

Path actions (in-combat and out) are unique to each character, and don't come with their job. Alfyn's Inquire/Concoct, Primrose's Allure/Summon, etc.
Ahhhh I see. Very in depth, thanks.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure whether I want to see this or stay blissfully ignorant thinking that a bunch of JRPG characters were talking like they were on r/ScottishPeopleTwitter.

Doesn't look like it, they'd have mentioned it in the demo otherwise. It really only seems to be a time saving thing.
Lmao that's pretty accurate
announce-ds-e.png

This chapter was hell.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to hold off on the demo to come in fresh when the game came out. I finally cracked, played my three hours, got cut off, and now I'm angry. Consider it already lost.
I played the first demo. Didn't play the second cause I just want to wait for release, even thought it transfers.

But there's gonna be a war between people trying to downplay the game, people overhyping the game, and trolling to troll.
Personally, I had octopath pegged since its reveal, so there's no drama there.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I think you guys are reading a bit too much into that tweet. First 10-20 hours is most likely just getting all the 8 characters and finishing their first chapter, and from the previews so far, that can feel like a drag because you're doing 8 introductions back to back. He's just differentiating that and people who play longer and past the first chapters.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Also an RPG is easy to get burnt out on if you have to play through it in an incredibly tight review deadline.
Mindless shooters or platformers sure, but text heavy RPGs should be savored like fine wine.
Reviewers needed another week to properly play through at a more relaxed pace.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Lmao that's pretty accurate
announce-ds-e.png

This chapter was hell.

Holy shit that's hilarious. All it needs is a mention of "yer da" and "yer ma" and a few sprinklings of "shite" and "cunt" and you've got true Scottish dialect.

Shame we'll never get a JRPG with "banter" as a character's manner of speech:

"Oi you utter ledge the four crystals have been nicked by that wanker Gilgamesh from 'Spoons. Lets go batter 'im an' get a Cheeky Nandos after with a side order of bants"

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played the first demo. Didn't play the second cause I just want to wait for release, even thought it transfers.

But there's gonna be a war between people trying to downplay the game, people overhyping the game, and trolling to troll.
Personally, I had octopath pegged since its reveal, so there's no drama there.
I should clarify that I'm (jokingly) angry that I ran out of demo, not trying to downplay or concern troll that I think the game will be bad, quite the opposite. Friday can't come fast enough.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Gonna give the demo one last run before release. Haven't gotten around to H'annt at all, and from what's been coming out the last few days, she might have the most utility out of everyone.

I hope my usual spot gets this a day or two earlier like they usually do.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I think you guys are reading a bit too much into that tweet. First 10-20 hours is most likely just getting all the 8 characters and finishing their first chapter, and from the previews so far, that can feel like a drag because you're doing 8 introductions back to back. He's just differentiating that and people who play longer and past the first chapters.

That's a very subjective thing to differentiate like that; it's not like the structure differentiates that much once you've got past the "Chapter 1" stage of the game. He also says:

"the difference between people who sink the full 50-60 hours versus somebody who does 10-20 and then ducks out"

and not

"the difference between people who play 10-20 hours and then duck out versus somebody who plays after that."

As you seem to be suggesting. He specifically mentions the "full experience," and not the experience after a certain point.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very subjective thing to differentiate like that; it's not like the structure differentiates that much once you've got past the "Chapter 1" stage of the game. He also says:

"the difference between people who sink the full 50-60 hours versus somebody who does 10-20 and then ducks out"

and not

"the difference between people who play 10-20 hours and then duck out versus somebody who plays after that."

As you seem to be suggesting.

Sure, but I still think it's setting the wrong expectations if you think that means "the last ten hours is really different you guys!". Even if that's true, that doesn't make it a good game for people who didn't like the first 50 hours.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The review thread on this is going to be bonkers.

Looking forward to it! :D

Plum

May 31, 2018
Sure, but I still think it's setting the wrong expectations if you think that means "the last ten hours is really different you guys!". Even if that's true, that doesn't make it a good game for people who didn't like the first 50 hours.

OK, but the subjective quality between the two points is not what your post was about so I don't see what that's got to do with my reply.

Plum

May 31, 2018
My original reply wasn't in response to yours either. I'm just addressing people getting their hopes up.

Huh? Your original post was literally saying that the guy was talking about something different to what he was likely talking about. It's not addressing people getting their hopes up when you have to twist a guy's words into something else to do so.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Lol shit, Im playing the demo as Cyrus and just got rekt at the Russel fight. Do you need to grind this early?

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Your original post was literally saying that the guy was talking about something different to what he was likely talking about. It's not addressing people getting their hopes up when you have to twist a guy's words into something else to do so.

He both referenced 10-20hours and 50-60 hours. My interpretation is as likely as the others. If he only said 50-60 hours and not 10-20 hours you can say my interpretation is absolutely wrong. I didn't put in 10-20 hours myself into his statement. You chose weigh the 50-60 hours more heavily, I chose to weigh the 10-20 hours more heavily. Why would he say 10-20hours if he just meant 50-60 hours? A number of previews have said doing all chapter 1s are a drag, whether the structure changes is irrelevant.

But seriously though, this argument is silly, which is why I kinda brushed it off when you first replied. Do you just want me to admit that he's saying the last ten hours are going to be different?

Plum

May 31, 2018
I understand the weaknesses and breaks, I just can't deal with the damage I'm taking from three mobs pet turn

Make sure to focus on the minion mobs first before fighting the main boss; you've got enough of a break in between when the mobs are killed and when the boss summons more to get some pretty decent damage in. AoE spells which hit multiple enemies are great for bosses like that.

He both referenced 10-20hours and 50-60 hours. My interpretation is as likely as the others. If he only said 50-60 hours and not 10-20 hours you can say my interpretation is absolutely wrong. I didn't put in 10-20 hours myself into his statement. You chose weigh the 50-60 hours more heavily, I chose to weigh the 10-20 hours more heavily. Why would he say 10-20hours if he just meant 50-60 hours? A number of previews have said doing all chapter 1s are a drag, whether the structure changes is irrelevant.

But seriously though, this argument is silly, which is why I kinda brushed it off when you first replied. Do you just want me to admit that he's saying the last ten hours are going to be different?

He mentioned both because he was making a direct comparison between the two. I don't know how you can interpret it as anything but that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
No. The game is very strategy based. Just learn the nuance of the battle system. Unless you're literally level 1, you're good.
I was playing Ophillia's route yesterday. To be honest, I have never played a JRPG before where the first boss can summon monsters, and said monsters would self-destruct in a number of turns to inflict huge damage. I can tell this game will become pretty difficult.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Shame we'll never get a JRPG with "banter" as a character's manner of speech:

"Oi you utter ledge the four crystals have been nicked by that wanker Gilgamesh from 'Spoons. Lets go batter 'im an' get a Cheeky Nandos after with a side order of bants"

bwa hahahahaha - just wanted to say this made me gut laugh quite unexpectedly.

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
Just rereading the jeuxvideo "review", I'm kinda wondering where do credits even roll? After the last chapter you complete for a character? I'm open to any narrative format the developers chose to do but it would be sorta weird to "end" the game after the just individual chapters.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
He mentioned both because he was making a direct comparison between the two; he wasn't singling out either as both elements are interlinked. I don't know how you can interpret it as anything but that.

So by comparing people who play 10-20hours, and people who play 50-60 hours, my interpretation that people who play only 10-20 hours are people who only played chapter 1s and gave up, which does give a different experience than people who finish the game 50-60 hours. And I correlate that 10-20 hours to how long people take to finish chapter 1s, and that a number of previews so far have mentioned the game opens up after chapter 1s and doing chapter 1s are kind of a drag. Therefore I weigh the differences between the people who play 10-20hours and 50-60 hours more on the former because I can see people giving up at just at finishing chapter 1, and not that he's saying that the game changes drastically in the last ten hours at the 50-60 hours mark. I don't believe that he is indicating that people who play 10-20 hours have one set of experiences, 20-50 hours another set of experiences, and 50-60 hours another set of experiences. He's just comparing people who can go past the initial drag and not. Can I be wrong? Absolutely.

And really we don't need to analyze people's statements this precisely because people usually don't bother to be technically correct. Does that make sense?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
That's all I needed to hear, cool.

There's the heavily spoiler averse - because of how badly my brain handles them while experiencing the thing they're for - part of me that's a bit annoyed but also... that's gonna make putting up with any frustrations much easier, excellent.

...assuming it's true. I'm sure reviews will state the same anyway, barring a weird Nintendo-style review rule telling them they can't, so...

In any case... yeah, for the reviews thread I'm reading the ones from writers/sites I like and then leaving. I've enjoyed discussing things here; I'm not up for metacritic fights and such.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So by comparing people who play 10-20hours, and people who play 50-60 hours, my interpretation that people who play only 10-20 hours are people who only played chapter 1s and gave up, which does give a different experience than people who finish the game 50-60 hours. And I correlate that 10-20 hours to how long people take to finish chapter 1s, and that a number of previews so far have mentioned the game opens up after chapter 1s and doing chapter 1s are kind of a drag. Therefore I weigh the differences between the people who play 10-20hours and 50-60 hours more on the former because I can see people giving up at just at finishing chapter 1, and not that he's saying that the game changes drastically in the last ten hours at the 50-60 hours mark. I don't believe that he is indicating that people who play 10-20 hours have one set of experiences, 20-50 hours another set of experiences, and 50-60 hours another set of experiences. He's just comparing people who can go past the initial drag and not. Can I be wrong? Absolutely.

And really we don't need to analyze people's statements this precisely because people usually don't bother to be technically correct. Does that make sense?

You can explain your reasoning all you want but it will always be based on a false interpretation of that person's Tweet. He was making a direct comparison between those who leave at the early stages of the game vs. those who play the full experience, with emphasis on full. That and 10-20 hours is more than enough to complete all the Chapter 1s, and since the Tweet was using the lower end of the developer's time scale (with 100 hours being the high end) I doubt he was talking specifically about Chapter 1 as you seem to suggest. There are plenty of ways he could have worded that Tweet to make your interpretation correct but he worded it in a way that makes your interpretation very, very flimsy.

bwa hahahahaha - just wanted to say this made me gut laugh quite unexpectedly.

Thanks, Dougie.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
You can explain your reasoning all you want but it will always be based on a false interpretation of that person's Tweet. He was making a direct comparison between those who leave at the early stages of the game vs. those who play the full experience, with emphasis on full. There are plenty of ways he could have worded that Tweet to make your interpretation correct but he worded it in a way that makes your interpretation very, very flimsy.

You didn't refute my points. But whatever, this doesn't matter. :)

Plum

May 31, 2018
Seems like speculation is abound and previews have stopped coming in so I'm outta here.

See ya'll on Thursday for when the real fun begins.

You didn't refute my points. But whatever, this doesn't matter. :)

I did refute your initial point, you just threw other points at me as if I was talking about them all along.

But anyways, see above.