• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
The Game of Thrones intro features the locations of said episode. Figured it out later of the first season.
I think you caught this around the time most folks did. Maybe not really paying attention to the title sequence after the first time and then as the season went on you'd go "wait, that was a cool thing they showed. was that always there?" and it dawns on you that the locations change per ep cuz it's showing you where you'll be. Nice way to establish a world visually and geographically for the audience, honestly.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I thought that when people said career they meant Korea for a long time and ai always wondered why wrestlers kept wanting to end Korea

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was Nocturne Alley that hammered that one in for me.

I caught the pun in Diagon Alley and somehow missed the one in Nocturne Alley until RIGHT NOW.

In the category of mispronounciations, I thought Chic was pronounced Chick. Its supposed to be Sheek.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Biscuit means twice baked and comes from the Latin word for again and cook. As you would cook them twice, once in the oven then again in the shelf above it.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
db06dee52b7fd4f343fc52fae04424cf.jpg

There was this old matress store chain called Sleepy's. In the commercials, they had a jingle where they sang, "Trust Sleepy's for the rest of your life."

I don't know why but I always thought they meant, trust Sleepy's forever - and well - they do but they also mean the "rest" of your life. Like resting. Sleep. I didn't figure this out for years of hearing those commercials.

I'm this way with Kay Jewelers and "Every Kiss Begins with Kay". I just thought they were being really obnoxious about how they're jewelry leads to romance before realizing Kiss begins with the letter K.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
That Mortal Kombat based Raiden's character off of this one.

I didn't realize it until years later, and I was like oh yeah, that's where I remember Raiden from, lol.
Shang Tsung is Lo Pan.

There's a bunch of other stuff in Mortal Kombat that is referential... from JCVD & Bloodsport to American Ninja to Ray Harryhausen's Sinbad. The whole product is a giant syncretic bowl.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
802.jpg

Dio's Stand, The World, has scuba tanks on its back because it is a Holy Diver.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, learned a few things in this thread.

Lol

Yen Sid = Disney backwards, and Beatles incorporating the word Beat (wtf) among them. And Diagon Alley in Hogwarts, lmao, wow.

Jul 14, 2018
Love reading threads like these.

Hope I'm not full of it, but a friend pointed out that the name Arby's is really "R.B.'s" as in roast beef.

Also, I drew a really bad lower case g last week (as in, didn't connect the hoop on it) and saw the connection to capital G for the first time in my life.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That my uncle was gay. Every single family gathering, there was his "friend" we called uncle too. Then after years of not seeing them, I'm in bed randomly thinking about family stuff, remember something that happened with them around and then bam it hits me.

Took forever to occur to me that my grandparents were divorced

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen this show or the manga or whatever but this is rad.

Also, I don't get the Nocturne Alley? Am I missing something?

Yeah it's a long running manga adapted to anime called JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and one of its most well known quirks is that a lot of the characters (and later their Stands, ghostly figures that grant them powers) are named after famous Western musicians. One of its most iconic characters is named Robert E.O. Speedwagon.

The main villain, Dio, was of course named after Ronnie James Dio, and The World's design incorporates scuba gear as a reference to the song Holy Diver (and also because Dio's name is Latin for 'God').

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know if my grandparents were divorced. When they were alive they didn't live with each other but they still were always together, like everyday.
My grandparents have never lived together in my lifetime and don't talk to or mention each other, even at parties. It'd me more apt to say I never put it together that they were even ever MARRIED, much less divorced

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I was legitimately in my twenties when I learned you snap your fingers with your thumb and middle finger. I'd always try to do with my thumb and trigger finger and just assumed I couldn't do it for some reason.

Felt really dumb after that.
It took me far too long to realize the sound of snapping your fingers is from the finger hitting your palm, not from the two fingers clicking.
What finger also varies because snapping with my ring finger is much louder than my middle finger so I snap with that.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The show WandaVision is called that because both Wanda and Vision are in it. I haven't seen the show yet, and even though I knew they both were in it, I thought it was primarily because it was like TV show themed and what not. Lmao
It is that too. It's a double (or triple) meaning title. Wandvision as in Wanda and Vision, as in television, and as in "Wanda's Vision" as her fantasy.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
The word "epitome" is the same thing as "a-pit-oh-me". I thought they were two separate words that had similar meanings, and "epitome" was pronounced "eh-pih-tomb". I didn't know how to spell the second word. When I first saw epitome in writing I had this thought of them being two different words. I thought this until like my early 20s.
Yup, got me too. 19 when a co-worker corrected me. That word is fucking evil.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The Amazon arrow goes from the letter "a" in the name to the letter "z".

As in they have everything from A to Z.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
The Blink-182 album name "Take off your pants and jacket" meant something way different than I expected.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
That ekans is snake backwards from a thread I saw here a few weeks ago. I still don't know if its on purpose or not.

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
That the Undertaker's manager Paul Bearer is named after pallbearer. I never made the connection until recently when my wife pointed it out.

Star Wild eo

Jul 22, 2020

I remember listening to this Britney Spears song on the radio whenever it came out and not completely getting the innuendo until a bit later. I figured it was just a nonsense catchy chorus.

I thought it was clever when I realized If U Seek Amy = F U C K Me

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It took me far too long to realize the sound of snapping your fingers is from the finger hitting your palm, not from the two fingers clicking.
What finger also varies because snapping with my ring finger is much louder than my middle finger so I snap with that.

This is blowing my mind. I thought it might be wrong, but I put a blanket over my palm where my finger hits, and yep, the snap sound is totally muffled. Weird!

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
I always heard people in movies and real life reference something about the dreaded "C-word", but they never ever said the actual word itself. It drove me crazy!

For years growing up, all I knew was that: It was 4 letters long; it was derogatory toward women; it was somehow 10 times more offensive than the almighty "F-word", just completely off limits.

So I didn't find out what this unspeakable curse was until early adulthood. And it wasn't until many years later that I found out it's not even all that offensive overseas lol