fall_ark

Mar 20, 2019
Shanghai, China
I don't have any inside knowledge on this, but I would bet that EGS will eventually come to China and have most of the same features as Steam (aside from specific things they've already mentioned not ever having, like reviews.)

Then that will be the day the affected gamers eventually come to consider EGS as an option. Before that happens you are not "thinking of me", in fact since you actually took that into consideration before making the decision it feels like a bigger insult than those who are not aware.

I don't fault devs for wanting to profit. They just don't exist for me anymore since there's no way for me to buy the game.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have any inside knowledge on this, but I would bet that EGS will eventually come to China and have most of the same features as Steam (aside from specific things they've already mentioned not ever having, like reviews.)

After those problems are solved, what else is so bad about EGS?

If you handwave every single legitimate problem away with "yes I'm sure it will eventually happen" - despite no evidence of the likelihood of that happening - then sure, nothing is so bad about EGS.

fall_ark

Mar 20, 2019
Shanghai, China
As much hate as Epic are getting from gamers their business model is better for the developers so either Valve need to step up or people need to start getting used to the Epic store. It seems pretty clear cut to me, you can't expect these devs to get screwed on a huge cut from Valve especially when there are other options now.

Yeah I'm used to the Epic store not available for me. Pretty clear cut.

PARANOiA

Oct 25, 2017
I find the shortsightedness of these exclusives really disappointing. Imagine working on a game for years only to make a deal so that far fewer people get to play it. What's even the point?

Lo-Fi

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I find the shortsightedness of these exclusives really disappointing. Imagine working on a game for years only to make a deal so that far fewer people get to play it. What's even the point?

Console exclusives have existed for years.

Edit: Imagine working on a game for years only to not make a deal with Epic, leading to relying purely on sales, not selling enough, and then having to shut the studio down, meaning you can't make a 2nd game.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make sense. The whole point of console exclusives is because platform holders are competing to make their console and store ecosystem the most appealing to consumers. The same way Netflix differentiates itself from Amazon Prime Video by way of its exclusive content. And it no doubt costs Nintendo or Sony millions of dollars to secure developers like Naughty Dog or Platinum Games to make a game only for a single console, when they could choose to sell on multiple platforms and potentially massively increase their revenue.

This is what spurs the healthy competition that you desire. And suddenly it's a bad thing just because it's happening on PC?

Compare the feature set of the console stores and compare it to Steam and asks yourself again what exactly brings this "healthy competition". (paid online VS free, etc... )

Exclusivities is a way to bypass creating or needing a better product. Also, the console industry is starting that stay away from 3rd party exclusivities. Naughty Dog is owned by Sony btw.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: Imagine working on a game for years only to not make a deal with Epic, leading to relying purely on sales, not selling enough, and then having to shut the studio down.

And your sales are bad because?

Maybe your game is not good. Maybe you are not good enough as developer. Maybe your marketing was not enough. Whatever.

Why you need to rely on exclusivity deals money to survive? Really are you questioning those exclusivity deals as the real deal to developers existence? Oh boy.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Imagine working on a game for years only to not make a deal with Epic, leading to relying purely on sales, not selling enough, and then having to shut the studio down, meaning you can't make a 2nd game.

That's the reality of most devs, since Epic are heavily curating their store, and this moneyhatting is only a temporary thing even for the selected few.

Lo-Fi

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Maybe your game is not good. Maybe you are not good enough as developer. Maybe your marketing was not enough. Whatever.

Why you need to rely on exclusivity deals money to survive? Really are you questioning those exclusivity deals as the real deal to developers existence? Oh boy.

As I've stated before, anyone in the industry will tell you that a good game does not automatically sell well.

If you like a developer's games, would you rather they make 1 more game, or 2+?

That's the reality of most devs, since Epic are heavily curating their store, and this moneyhatting is only a temporary thing even for the selected few.

Exactly, the industry is extremely unreliable. Which is why devs will take some reliability when they can.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
2) "your environment that has fed you for years": You don't know who Devolver's customers or intended audience are. For all you know, users of Resetera are just a sliver of Devolver's fanbase or potential fanbase. Your opinions do not represent the opinions of everyone playing games. Devolver is taking a bet, but none of us know if that bet will pay off. I'm personally leaning towards the 80/20/5 rule, which would probably put Devolver in a good situation.

Why you feel Devolver is in good situation based on just 80/20/5 when they limit title availability?

They are in good place as they got mountain of cash as sign on bonus, but other than that... how they are putting themselves into good position to succeed with sales? Do you feel that large part of EGS userbase that is for large part there for Fortnite will purchase Observation? Same audience that apparently didn't really go for Exodus and it's closer to their wheelhouse of game preference, I would argue.

Relaying on Epic handing out stacks of cash and covering your development costs + X thousand sales isn't sustainable business model. Not for Epic and especially not for developer. Epic has already said that faucet will be closed "soon" as they want walk away from paying for exclusives. If they will follow through is another question.

Also succeeding on Epic golden handshake also gambles on getting picked by Epic into their garden to begin with. For now they have been harvesting in established publishers, developers and/or brands. Not struggling studios that would benefit most from this all, which is shame.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017

Making a LOT of assumptions here. There are many, many quality games that don't get a lot of sales simply due to various reasons including many that are out of the indie studios control. If there was a way to be able to make the game you want to make and guarantee compensation for yourself to support your family via an upfront exclusivity deal, many developers are naturally going to decide on that solution if made available to them.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that! Wait, does Valve have an office in China?
Valve is in progress of making a Chinese Steam by means of cooperating with Perfect World, but they also happen to not geolock Chinese users out of their worldwide infrastructure. I think this is one of the things that can actually be traced to Tencent's stake in Epic, in that PRC can directly retaliate against Tencent if EGS content annoys them.

Frankly, PRC's preventive censorship is such a pain that I can understand Epic not bothering, the real WTF for me is South Korea.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
This doesn't make sense. The whole point of console exclusives is because platform holders are competing to make their console and store ecosystem the most appealing to consumers. The same way Netflix differentiates itself from Amazon Prime Video by way of its exclusive content. And it no doubt costs Nintendo or Sony millions of dollars to secure developers like Naughty Dog or Platinum Games to make a game only for a single console, when they could choose to sell on multiple platforms and potentially massively increase their revenue.

This is what spurs the healthy competition that you desire. And suddenly it's a bad thing just because it's happening on PC?

Here's a little secret for you: a pc is NOT a console. :)

Sony and Microsoft are using exclusives to motivate people into buying their proprietary hardware. But most of the revenue they make from these people doesn't come from these exclusives; it is generated by royalties from the sales of 3rd party games, and subscription services that are locked to this hardware.

On PC, it doesn't work like that. Epic can force people to use their store to buy an exclusive game, but that doesn't mean people will use Epic's store to buy other (non-exclusive) games as well. The reason for this that pc is an open platform that allows competition: pc gamers have a CHOICE where the want to buy and play their games, based on things that appeal to them like pricing, features and pro-consumer policies. Store exclusivity deals are taking that choice away.

On pc, no one will chose a certain store to buy game X because game Y is only available in that store. But a game being DRM-free is a valid season for me to buy a game on GoG instead of Steam for example. Because of this, it is in the consumers best interests that a game is available on as many stores as possible.

Last but not least: there's a huge difference between Microsoft and Sony funding their own exclusive games, and paying 3rd party devs and publishers to keep nearly completed games away from competing storefronts. What Epic is doing is the same as Microsoft moneyhatting Rise of the Tomb Raider, which didn't exactly help the reputation of the Xbox One. And Epic isn't doing this for one game: they are grabbing as much games as they can.

Please read my post above. I'm curious, are you a pc gamer?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Valve has spent more than a decade building features for Steam that consumers can make use of, and also built an incredibly large community that will stan for Steam. They haven't done nearly as much work on making the store

Sorry that your quote got cut out, something went wrong in the quoting process. Anyway, I strongly disagree. Valve has done a hell of a lot for developers too, the most important one being the creation and retention of an audience willing to spend money on their games. The difference is that Valve puts the customer first in the developer-customer relationship and that's always how it should be because without customers neither Valve nor developers can maintain a business.

You can literally play the same game on the same screen irrespective of where you buy it. It is literally, exactly like using a different door or ticket window to the same theater, only now you have access to 10% few popcorn toppings. That is the scale of difference, not unusable chairs and broken sound. Making claims like that makes you sound deranged, just like the anti-Captain Marvel brigade.

Here's the thing though. That is the scale of the difference for you. It's certainly not for me or for a big part of the PC community all over the internet. You don't speak for all these people and neither you nor anyone else can decide how important this situation is for them. Clearly you don't care, clearly you don't see a big difference but others very much do and that's just the way it is. You're going to have to accept that people have different priorities and that something that's no big deal to you is very important to others.

Well exclusivity isn't a new thing in gaming so we again can't expect any different from the devs if there is incentive for them.

I don't expect any different from developers. Most of them have proven over time that they'll happily take the moneyhats. They should understand however that exclusives not meeting any resistance in console gaming doesn't mean that the same thing will happen in PC gaming. It might, or it might not. Time will tell.

"fucked" is a little extreme, for "moving to a store with less features", don't you think?

No, I find it quite appropriate. Keeping in mind that we're talking about gaming and not something more serious, trying to force customers to use a bad platform that they don't like by taking away their options means that these customers are indeed fucked.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
As I've stated before, anyone in the industry will tell you that a good game does not automatically sell well.

Ofc not and like I said I understand devs who do it. Do not lie though and say "its best for the customers", because the customers in the end gets a worse deal in the long run.

Maybe the game is good, but in a saturated market.
Maybe the game is good, but doesnt have a big demographic who is interested in such games.
Maybe marketing failed etc.

Frankly, PRC's preventive censorship is such a pain that I can understand Epic not bothering, the real WTF for me is South Korea.

I do not think that this is Epics concern. Blizzard is available there. Even uPlay and the UWP.
It is just that you have to pay tax there for every transaction, so the 12% is not sustainable in China. You cant just say "I open a digital distribution plattform, but file my taxes in Luxembourg and only there".

Lo-Fi

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why you feel Devolver is in good situation based on just 80/20/5 when they limit title availability?

It's just a gut feeling, and just based off of my interactions with players, but I would guess there are plenty of people who play games who don't care at all about exclusivity. Especially since it's not a $400 box they have to buy to access the game, it's a different launcher. To them it's no different from real stores - there are some brands that you can only get at one store.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a gut feeling, and just based off of my interactions with players, but I would guess there are plenty of people who play games who don't care at all about exclusivity. Especially since it's not a $400 box they have to buy to access the game, it's a different launcher. To them it's no different from real stores - there are some brands that you can only get at one store.

But how many of them would be interested in Observation or even know the game exist? Furthermore how many of them will be interested enough to create an account and download EGS just for that game?

Oct 25, 2017
I think in some cases, like this one, it was probably a joint decision. I don't really see Devolver forcing this on a dev who doesn't want it.

This is a good point. I'm assuming Epic approached Devolver, and they went round the various devs to see who was interested. Devolver could have told Epic to jog on, but given how they seem so for the devs, they would have presumably felt obligated to offer them the opportunity for their game to immediately be profitable.

If that is true then they were in a bit of rock and hard place scenario, but they should just come out and say so. That response they gave out earlier was clearly bollocks.

Lo-Fi

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ofc not and like I said I understand devs who do it. Do not lie though and say "its best for the customers", because the customers in the end gets a worse deal in the long run.

No, the customers get a better deal in the long run, because that good developer can make more games. It just happens that you are not a customer anymore and (if their bet pays off) they have gained new customers.

Please read my post above. I'm curious, are you a pc gamer?

I play games on everything.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, the customers get a better deal in the long run, because that good developer can make more games. It just happens that you are not a customer anymore and (if their bet pays off) they have gained new customers.

New customers for them means less customers for other indie dev. Demand has a limit as well as people's money and time.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I do not think that this is Epics concern. Blizzard is available there. Even uPlay and the UWP.
It is just that you have to pay tax there for every transaction, so the 12% is not sustainable in China. You cant just say "I open a digital distribution plattform, but file my taxes in Luxembourg and only there".
How is that different from VAT in EU?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
No, the customers get a better deal in the long run, because that good developer can make more games. It just happens that you are not a customer anymore and (if their bet pays off) they have gained new customers

I think this is your developer-centric view speaking. You seem to be completely detached from what your customers might consider important besides the game itself.

Lo-Fi

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But how many of them would be interested in Observation or even know the game exist? Furthermore how many of them will be interested enough to create an account and download EGS just for that game?

These are all questions that I guarantee you Devolver and the developer discussed before making the decision. It's a risk they're taking, which is why Epic pays them money - to offset the risk.

I think this is your developer-centric view speaking. You seem to be completely detached from what your customers might consider important besides the game itself.

So another game being made or not from a developer you like isn't important to you or other players?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These are all questions that I guarantee you Devolver and the developer discussed before making the decision. It's a risk they're taking, which is why Epic pays them money - to offset the risk.

I'm sure they did, but I really feel like they underestimated the backlash and the potential loss in the long term with this deal. We can more or less already see that with the screenshots from Devolver earlier in this thread.

As I said in my previous post, the money offset the short term risk, but I'm cautious of what's going to happen for their next game.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

No. The product is still worth less, because you get a product that does not offer (right now) cloud saves or achievements. And e.g. you lose the chinese customers. I doubt that the Fortnite audience suddenly will think "Oh. Observation. Thats my drift! Gotta buy it in droves!"

Look at Slay the Spire. 43% sales from China on PC. You are gambling with 43% of your potential playerbase to release a game risk-free by getting money and in the end pissing the customer off. (https://www.resetera.com/threads/sl...llion-copies-43-of-it-came-from-china.106387/)
The Dawn of Men devs said even 60% of their sales are from China.

None of the big indie-devs talked about any of the sales on the EGS which kinda feels like, besides getting money, they didnt really create new customers just by being there.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like people go out of their way to ignore the fact that pc gamers don't mind using other stores; they just don't want store exclusivity deals to be a thing for pc gaming, and they want a bare minimum of features they are used to have.

And I don't want Valve to have a defacto monopoly on PC gaming as a developer + providing extremely poor support for the amount of money they make and the cut they chop off the top, so I'm glad to see the pressure being applied to them.

Epic's giving a better cut because they should. 30% was an old percent from older physical days, and nobody should be charging it digitally. Epic lets you use Epic's backend and servers without locking your game to the EGS or even to Unreal; Valve forces your game to be locked to Steam if you use Steamworks functionality. Epic waives their engine fee for sales on their own store; Valve doesn't waive fees for Source games sold via Steam. Epic's been sharing the wealth of their Fortnite money with their grants program with developers; Valve has never done anything similar as a program for Steam, despite the amount of money they make off the backs of other developers.

They are missing some features, but I'm fairly sure they'll implement them over time. I put up with functionality in Steam being completely inoperable in Steam since 2003 for multiple years; I can't really fault Epic for needing to play catchup in that regard.

I already know they're not gonna do the exclusive thing forever, but it's how they're gonna have to bootstrap their customer. Nobody is gonna wander outside the Steam walled garden if they can get the same game for the same price on both storefronts. That's reality. Exclusives gets people to come over and try the store. Of course Valve doesn't need to do this, because they're a de-facto monopoly and those rarely have empathy for those that have to work with them or die off. And no, selling Steam keys via other stores is not competition. They're still Steam keys that have to be redeemed on Steam. No, you cannot generate as many of those keys as you want as a developer per Steam's own documentation, and they WILL turn developers down on key requests. You can ask Gabe Newell yourself via email, and he'll confirm they turn down key requests.

I mean, this is literally the same way Valve bootstrapped Steam. They had Half Life 2 and you could only play it via Steam, buy it via Steam, and the physical version required Steam activation to even work. They then eventually started adding other games, but there was nowhere else to play Half Life 2.

Epic's just doing the Valve playbook. They have Fortnite, which you could only launch via the Epic Games launcher, and then Epic used the game's success to bootstrap a store. Except this time the friends list functionality will actually work the first three years it's out and Epic hasn't arbitrarily shut down the legacy online service for their older titles like Valve did to WON to force people to get on Steam if they wanted to keep playing games they had already paid money for.

At least this whole thing has made people stop spamming devs to "switch to Unreal" every time they talk about using another engine.

Lo-Fi

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Edit: ^FyreWulff speaks the truth.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, y'all. I just don't see the Steam features as all that important, personally speaking, and I'm confident the important ones will show up soon enough. Either way, I'm fine with a store that's literally just a place to purchase games and nothing else.

I agree that EGS should be in China, that really sucks that it isn't and I didn't know that it wasn't until I entered this thread.

Edit 2: Coming back to this post to clarify: my posts in this thread are purely speaking about my general viewpoint of the matter, and not a specific contractual agreement with Epic. I did not speak to anyone behind the EGS, I am just speaking as a general developer about the matter.

Last edited:

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I agree that EGS should be in China, that really sucks that it isn't and I didn't know that it wasn't until I entered this thread.

Developers who signed the EGS deal did not know...
I personally know one dev on a team who has an EGS exclusive deal that they did not know.

And Phoenix Point devs also did not know about that and do not have a clue how chinese backers will get their key....

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: ^FyreWulff speaks the truth.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, y'all. I just don't see the Steam features as all that important, personally speaking, and I'm confident the important ones will show up soon enough. Either way, I'm fine with a store that's literally just a place to purchase games and nothing else.

Well, I'm not surprised a developer is going to downplay services that matter to a consumer. All you care about is selling your game, so a store is just a store to you.

For the rest of us, they're more than just stores. Hence the reason Fyrewulf admits that nobody would choose the Epic store over Steam if not for exclusives. They have literally nothing to offer the actual user of the store. But they're a dream for publishers because they're doling out that microtransaction money to help themselves to a larger piece of the pie.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
So another game being made or not from a developer you like isn't important to you or other players?

My favorite game of all time is the original X-Com from 1994 by Julian Gollop. I backed his latest creation, Phoenix Point, as soon as the crowdfunding campaign went live. Phoenix Point was quite literally the only game I was really looking forward in 2019. As soon as Gollop announced his deal with Epic, I asked and received a refund. A game can be important to me but it is just that: a single game. In the grand scheme of things, a very tiny part of my overall life as a gamer. If I accept Epic's and these developers' bullshit, I will be screwing myself over for years to come. My stance right now has the potential to mess up the platform I prefer and make all of my gaming worse.

This is why I'm saying that your developer-centric view is blinding you to what your customers want. For you, the developer of a game, the whole universe revolves around you and your creation. You fail to realize that for customers that have invested many years of their life to gaming, the decisions that you make can have an adverse effect on a much bigger scale if they choose to support you despite them.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I mean, it's certainly a risk. Will the Epic store be able to pull enough users over to get plenty of sales? Only time will tell. But I frequently think back to the 80/20/5 rule, and remind myself that people posting online aren't the only people buying games. A lot of people not posting online may be in agreement with you all, I don't know. But only time will tell.

After those problems are solved, what else is so bad about EGS?

"fucked" is a little extreme, for "moving to a store with less features", don't you think?

And it seems developers moving to EGS are willing to take that chance. Again, 80/20/5 rule. They're hoping to make up for the lost customers with other customers.
Short term gain risking your future titles and bomb your user base doesnt seem like a plan in the long run.

To me it sounds more like a Capital flight

Also, again with the its just another launcher argument

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
And it no doubt costs Nintendo or Sony millions of dollars to secure developers like Naughty Dog or Platinum Games to make a game only for a single console, when they could choose to sell on multiple platforms and potentially massively increase their revenue.
Nintendo didn't "secure" exclusivity with Platinum. They straight-up funded the entire development of their games. Same with Sony. Console-exclusive games are more often than not entirely funded by the platform holder, literally "made to order". There are no issues to be had with those games being exclusives, other than "I wish it were not so", because if they were not exclusive it's a good bet they wouldn't have happened at all.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
And no, selling Steam keys via other stores is not competition. They're still Steam keys that have to be redeemed on Steam. No, you cannot generate as many of those keys as you want as a developer per Steam's own documentation, and they WILL turn developers down on key requests. You can ask Gabe Newell yourself via email, and he'll confirm they turn down key requests.

Selling keys through online stores, which Valve doesn't take any money for is indeed competition. You may not be a consumer but I am, and as a consumer it's a benefit to me that sites are competing for me to purchase a game through them rather than someone else. It's no different than Amazon competing with Best Buy.
If we're going to whine that they're selling Steam keys my answer is then why the hell aren't you selling you're keys through online key sellers? What's stopping you? Take the zero percent cut like Valve and let stores compete selling your keys. Uplay does this.
So let's quit the whining about key selling sites selling Steam keys, because as a consumer I welcome ANY launcher to do the same because it's to my benefit! They won't though because Epic can't do without a cut of the sale, plus Epic wants to keep prices high.

As for Steam turning down some key requests, yeah...because shady developers were dishing out keys in exchange for positive reviews. That's misleading consumers, so yeah, Valve curbed it and also changed the way reviews count.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
You can literally play the same game on the same screen irrespective of where you buy it. It is literally, exactly like using a different door or ticket window to the same theater, only now you have access to 10% few popcorn toppings. That is the scale of difference, not unusable chairs and broken sound. Making claims like that makes you sound deranged, just like the anti-Captain Marvel brigade.
Except Linux gamers and people in certain parts of the world literally cannot play the game due to it moving to the egs.

So no, it's not a "10% fewer popcorn toppings" scale of difference. Stop being disingenuous.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Also some devs selling 100 copies on Steam had the gall to ask for 500.000 keys. Would you grant such a request FyreWulff if you were running a business?

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we're going to whine that they're selling Steam keys my answer is then why the hell aren't you selling you're keys through online key sellers? What's stopping you? Take the zero percent cut like Valve and let stores compete selling your keys.

Because it's actually against your developer agreement to officially permanently undersell Steam itself and can lead to your games and access to Steam being revoked. Please read the documentation above, it would have answered this question and gives this exact example.

As for Steam turning down some key requests, yeah...because shady developers were dishing out keys in exchange for positive reviews. That's misleading consumers, so yeah, Valve curbed it and also changed the way reviews count.

No, it wasn't over that. Once again, they quite literally explain situations where they will turn down keys, and plenty of non-shady developers have had key requests revoked. You can email Gabe Newell and ask him if a developer can do 100% of their sales via no-royalty generated Steam keys.

And even if it were possible (which it isn't), in no real world would 0% cut actually be sustainable. Valve deserves money for the service they provide; however, that amount isn't 30% of every sale.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
And I don't want Valve to have a defacto monopoly on PC gaming as a developer + providing extremely poor support for the amount of money they make and the cut they chop off the top, so I'm glad to see the pressure being applied to them.

I think most PC gamers agree that Valve shouldn't have a monopoly on PC gaming. But that doesn't mean we have to accept Epic's shitty moneyhatting tactics. What we need is a competitor making a better alternative for Steam. What we don't need is a big company that spends millions to make Steam and other existing storefronts worse.

Epic's giving a better cut because they should. 30% was an old percent from older physical days, and nobody should be charging it digitally. Epic lets you use Epic's backend and servers without locking your game to the EGS or even to Unreal; Valve forces your game to be locked to Steam if you use Steamworks functionality. Epic waives their engine fee for sales on their own store; Valve doesn't waive fees for Source games sold via Steam. Epic's been sharing the wealth of their Fortnite money with their grants program with developers; Valve has never done anything similar as a program for Steam, despite the amount of money they make off the backs of other developers.

Can't disagree with any of this.

They are missing some features, but I'm fairly sure they'll implement them over time. I put up with functionality in Steam being completely inoperable in Steam since 2003 for multiple years; I can't really fault Epic for needing to play catchup in that regard.

We're 2019 now, not 2003. If you launch a storefront today that doesn't even support basic features like cloud saves or an offline mode, you either don't care or you don't know what you're doing imo.

I already know they're not gonna do the exclusive thing forever, but it's how they're gonna have to bootstrap their customer. Nobody is gonna wander outside the Steam walled garden if they can get the same game for the same price on both storefronts. That's reality.

Not it's not. People will use other storefronts if there's a valid reason to do so. The Witcher 3 sold more on GoG than Steam for example.

Exclusives gets people to come over and try the store. Of course Valve doesn't need to do this, because they're a de-facto monopoly and those rarely have empathy for those that have to work with them or die off.

Wow, your hate against Steam is strong. No doubt you have your reasons for this, but again, I agree that Steam needs competition. PC gaming needs competition. But PC gaming doesn't need console-like moneyhatting.

I mean, this is literally the same way Valve bootstrapped Steam. They had Half Life 2 and you could only play it via Steam, buy it via Steam, and the physical version required Steam activation to even work. They then eventually started adding other games, but there was nowhere else to play Half Life 2.

Valve made the Orange Box. No one is complaining that Fortnite is EGS exclusive.

Epic's just doing the Valve playbook.

No they aren't. Again, Valve never paid 3rd party devs or publishers to keep their games away from competing storefronts. And that what it's all about. But it seems you and probably many other developers are seeing this as a logical step to compete against Steam, while many PC gamers see this as an anti-competitive and anti-consumer strategy.

I'm not in a position to judge which opinion is true, but my gamers heart screams that this is not how competition on my platform of choice should work. The more exclusivity deals Epic announces, the less likely I'll ever spend my money on their store. What happened with Metro Exodus and Phoenix Point even grows a hate in me against Epic, making it hard to be happy about the good things they are trying to do (lower cut, funding etc)

But what's even worse: Epic's moneyhats are resulting in many people losing respect for the devs and publishers involved. And I'm not talking only about myself and the "vocal minority" online; I hear this from my friends and colleagues as well. Many of them are talking shit about the devs involved and some of them even returned to piracy for EGS exclusive games. This is really, really sad imo, so please don't tell me that Epic's moneyhatting strategy is good for pc gaming.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Aah, the beauty of trickle down economic. How beautiful. It works wonder and proven numerous time right?

And no, selling Steam keys via other stores is not competition. They're still Steam keys that have to be redeemed on Steam. No, you cannot generate as many of those keys as you want as a developer per Steam's own documentation, and they WILL turn developers down on key requests. You can ask Gabe Newell yourself via email, and he'll confirm they turn down key requests.
Wow, you conveniently ignore that Valve have to take the burden of hosting the infrastructure for any keys sold that they don't have any cut from. Do you fucking realize how ridiculous it is for them if they allowed unlimited key generation? Someone could literally made Steam just a hosting platform, obtaining all the benefits offered whilst Steam don't get any cut. I asked you that, does Epic would even allowed this, having a game that only used them as hosting platform while they don't get anything? This is why your view on key resellers as not competition to Steam as being completely ridiculous because the burden of maintaining infrastructure still weight all on Steam. All of this nonsensical contradiction you make shows that you are arguing in bad faith.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
What that play would look like?
I would assume they need to double down on services. Keep the cut, keep the open market, but really lather on the gloss and polish. The new UI updates and store/library features will work great (if they work), see about expanding stuff like library sharing and streaming, maybe see if Unity devs will agree to work with their Source engine on a new joint venture, etc. They already have a massive amount of dev-facing stuff lined up as well, like VAC support, servers, DDoS protection, etc, all free.

They basically need to keep doing what they're doing, and maybe throw some finances around to make sure more of the bigger publishers don't go the Ubisoft route.
Whatever the case, they absolutely need to avoid exclusives. Not just "exclusives" as in "this game is sold on Steam and keys are sold elsewhere", but they should really look into having games that release across multiple storefronts, emphasizing the "divided we fall" mindset that is the only way to press back against the console-war-on-PC notion that Epic is working to introduce. If Epic starts to gain ground, everyone will lose.

Nov 8, 2017
And I don't want Valve to have a defacto monopoly on PC gaming

A defacto monopoly on what, indie games on PC? People can buy indies on other platforms, both on PC and on other devices, every major western publisher has their own PC store (several are completely exclusive to it and ubisoft is probably going to be in the next 12 months too) and most of the biggest games on PC aren't on Steam. The consequences for "the valve monopoly" are completely negligible, because even if Valve could get a cut of every cent spent on PC (not even remotely close and arguably declining over the last few years) it would still be competing with Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple, and Google for videogame services.

Epic's giving a better cut because they should. 30% was an old percent from older physical days, and nobody should be charging it digitally.

The 30% cut is standard across PC, consoles, and smartphones. The "old physical cut" was far higher and to this day Retail offers the publisher ~55% margins, versus 70% margins on most digital stores. There is no moral imperative here that makes it obvious that this is some kind of outrageous sum. I don't object to it being lowered, but if it being lowered means substantially worse platforms and services to me, then I would rather keep it where it is.

Epic's just doing the Valve playbook. They have Fortnite, which you could only launch via the Epic Games launcher, and then Epic used the game's success to bootstrap a store. Except this time the friends list functionality will actually work the first three years it's out and Epic hasn't arbitrarily shut down the legacy online service for their older titles like Valve did to WON to force people to get on Steam if they wanted to keep playing games they had already paid money for.

No, Valve didn't start sending cash to a huge nubmer of developers to remove their games for 12 month periods from competing storefronts in some kind of lightning business offensive to capture the market. This is not "the valve playbook", this is not "literally the same way valve bootstrapped steam". I'm not sure why we keep seeing so much of this blatant historical revisionism in an effort to defend Epic games.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's actually against your developer agreement to officially permanently undersell Steam itself and can lead to your games and access to Steam being revoked. Please read the documentation above, it would have answered this question and gives this exact example.

No, it wasn't over that. Once again, they quite literally explain situations where they will turn down keys, and plenty of non-shady developers have had key requests revoked. You can email Gabe Newell and ask him if a developer can do 100% of their sales via no-royalty generated Steam keys.

And even if it were possible (which it isn't), in no real world would 0% cut actually be sustainable. Valve deserves money for the service they provide; however, that amount isn't 30% of every sale.

"Officially permanently". Nobody is doing this on key selling sites. Games go on and off sale, with sale prices virtually always being cheaper than Steam. You're trying to give some scenario that never happens.

Oh no! A developer can't do 100% of their Steam business outside of Steam?!! I mean, who are you trying to make out the bad guy in this situation? All I see is Valve not looking to be taken advantage of!