• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, the best part is Obi-Wan goes to Alderaan at the end. Way to go dude, you're gonna responsible for the death of the entire planet. 😆
Death Star gets built with or without Vader. They were already planning it out during the Clone Wars. You need to remember that Vader is the enforcer, not the boss or the mastermind, of this whole Empire thing. Dude's glorified muscle meant to keep people in line. Now if Obi-wan ever has a chance to kill Palpatine and doesn't take it, then we'll talk. Because without Vader's turn back to Anakin, Palpatine ain't dying to shit.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My people were wiped out. I am now gonna do the same to them to maybe one day have revenge. What a terribly written arc.

be4.png

Damn, that really was her arc... Biggest disappointment of the show by far smh

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Same reason Luke didn't kill the Emperor in Return of the Jedi, he didn't want to strike him down in anger and being to turn to the dark side.
He wasn't angry in that moment, though. And it came after (if this is supposed to be the arc of the show) him accepting that Anakin was truly gone, and all that was left was this husk not even worth being given a name.

If anything, he'd be putting the angry, genocidal, egomaniac hellbent on revenge out of his misery. Finishing the duel would be him showing more mercy than what he gave Anakin on Mustafar, leaving him to suffer in agony while burning alive.

The real reason is he needs to be alive for A New Hope. They didn't really write a compelling reason why that doesn't just make Obi Wan look - at best - hypocritical given he was okay with pushing Luke to kill Vader.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Same reason Luke didn't kill the Emperor in Return of the Jedi, he didn't want to strike him down in anger and being to turn to the dark side.

If my friend went around murdering kids and then the very next time you see him he's slaughtering innocent people and coming to kill me im not going to be like "but he was a cool guy a long time ago". They made no effort to make it about Obi Wan not becoming evil himself and by the next scene he doesn't seem particularly bothered by any of it? It felt like Luke being in trouble at the perfect time so he can sense it and warp away was meant to be the out, which is kinda contrived but w/e.

idk, maybe Palpy is spying on them going "Yes! Do it!"

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reva was badly handled and I can't help feel she might've been better situated in the Andor show, because when this was just about Obi Wan and Vader, it was good.

The illogical decision making throughout the entire show is just awful though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He wasn't angry in that moment, though. And it came after (if this is supposed to be the arc of the show) him accepting that Anakin was truly gone, and all that was left was this husk not even worth being given a name.

If anything, he'd be putting the angry, genocidal, egomaniac hellbent on revenge out of his misery. More mercy than what he gave Anakin on Mustafar, leaving him to suffer in agony while burning alive.

The real reason is he needs to be alive for A New Hope. They didn't really write a compelling reason why that doesn't just make Obi Wan look - at best - hypocritical given he was okay with pushing Luke to kill Vader.

Yeah, I would've had them do something where Obi-Wan knocked Vader into a pit or something where he wasn't able to follow him, rather than just walking away when he had the opportunity to mercy kill a clearly broken man who's one of the galaxy's greatest monsters.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Death Star gets built with or without Vader. They were already planning it out during the Clone Wars. You need to remember that Vader is the enforcer, not the boss or the mastermind, of this whole Empire thing. Dude's glorified muscle meant to keep people in line. Now if Obi-wan ever has a chance to kill Palpatine and doesn't take it, then we'll talk. Because without Vader's turn back to Anakin, Palpatine ain't dying to shit.

Well, yeah. And I'm sure Palp would have just taken in a new apprentice/the GI. Killing Vader still would have struck a blow to the empire and saved countless lives.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I can't believe they really gave Obi-Wan the clear victory over Vader and he lets him walk away. Obi-Wan could have severely damaged Palpatine and the Empire before it began and saved the millions of lives Vader and the Empire takes going forward, including the annihilation of Alderaan. Obi-Wan doesn't even see a fragment of Anakin at the end either, calling him Darth instead. I mean, duh, he has to spare him there, but I definitely would have not went in that direction for the finale.

The whole Reva bit was so fucking pointless, holy shit. There's no way Vader would have let her live in the first place, and instead of getting a continuous fight sequence between Obi-Wan and Vader they kept cutting back and forth to the Reva shit which I couldn't stand.

Fucking Qui-Gon at the end for like 5 seconds is a total cop out, same with only having one flashback between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Talk about wasted potential having Christensen back.

Overall, it wasn't a complete shit show, but definitely not as good as I thought it would be.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How many creatures does Obi-Wan kill in the movies? He can kill all the grunts but not Vader.

The Force is literally just The Plot. Literally the woven fabric of the conception of fictional storytelling.

The Force is strong with certain characters because they are the main characters.

The Will of the Force is quite literally the Will of the Scriptwriters. The characters in the Star Wars universe have struggled for millennia to understand the way of the Force because it's just people in a writer's room contriving what needs to happen for their stories to press forward.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last 2 episodes made up for the first four.

Obiwan kicking the shit out of Vader was fucking awesome.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Hypocritical is putting it lightly. When you put all the lies or half-truths he tells Luke, he's downright manipulative. Like, the whole "true from a certain point of view" was a hell of a euphemism when ESB came out and all he lied about was Luke being Anakin's son.

But as of now, he's personally gifted Luke a lightsaber (that he lied about his father wanting him to have) that his father personally used to slaughter children, pushed him into learning the Force. I'm not sure when exactly Obiwan's plan became to groom Luke into killing his father, but at some point it did because come RotJ, he's dejected when Luke says he's not going to kill his father. And now we find out that he himself had multiple chances to kill Vader, something he will eventually just task Luke with, something that will obviously be a painful experience for him (should he go through with it).

At some point, the retcons pile up you step back and realize htat he had so many opportunities to prevent the OT from happening, and that his actions in the OT take on a much more deceptive form, that he just looks like a fucking asshole at the end of it.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
Overall the show was alright, but I loved this final episode.

I hope we get a second season with Obi doing smaller scale things (ie no more Luke/Leia or Vader).

Oct 25, 2017
The Force is literally just The Plot. Literally the woven fabric of the conception of fictional storytelling.

The Force is strong with certain characters because they are the main characters.

The Will of the Force is quite literally the Will of the Scriptwriters. The characters in the Star Wars universe have struggled for millennia to understand the way of the Force because it's just people in a writer's room contriving what needs to happen for their stories to press forward.

lol yup!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like how Vader seemed almost sad to have to kill Ahsoka and with Obi Wan it was like refusing an ex who cheated on you and wants to get back together

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
At some point, the retcons pile up you step back and realize htat he had so many opportunities to prevent the OT from happening, and that his actions in the OT take on a much more deceptive form, that he just looks like a fucking asshole at the end of it.

Im sure at least some of Reva's character's purpose was to provide a scenario which creates urgency for Obi Wan to run off and leave Vader there.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty high on the prequels
So that shot of Vader's helmet broken in half was enough to make me think this was all worth it. A rather slow drag of a show for one good shot.
And then they had to justify O' Ben's "from a certain point of view" lol, come on now.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm a little confused?

I thought Qui-Gon wasn't able to fully manifest as a force ghost since he didn't finish his training?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it well enough, really felt like they used most of their budget, time, and resources on the last 3 episodes though, in particular the last two. I don't mind that it was a Kenobi/Vader story, but it kinds of sets itself up for a lot of questions or contrivances to make things "fit". I get why they used Vader, and James Earl Jones isn't getting any younger of course, but I think I would have preferred if the series had been about Maul and Kenobi. Although Rebels kind of killed that particular thread I suppose.

On a side note the battle at the end of episode 6 was quite good, but really felt like they relied a lot of quick cuts and shaky cam when it seemed like the choreography was mostly good enough to stand on it's own.

Oct 27, 2017
Darth Vader didn't just lose he got beat down.
Should not have been one sided the way it was.

Obi Wan looked like he was more powerful than Yoda?

Doing that Earth Bending lol

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Roken was a great character and a really solid performance. Not sure where they go with him but hopefully he's around in the future.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This could have/should have been a 3 episode series.. so much useless filler in the early episodes.

That being said, the finale was great.. the scene of Vader on Mustafar gave me chills.

Reva was completely wasted/useless character.

Glad we got to see a Star Destroyer finally do something!

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

If anything, he'd be putting the angry, genocidal, egomaniac hellbent on revenge out of his misery. Finishing the duel would be him showing more mercy than what he gave Anakin on Mustafar, leaving him to suffer in agony while burning alive.

Off the top of my head, it's just this catch-22 the Jedi are caught up in when dealing with Sith, which they haven't had to do in centuries.

I haven't seen all the extra non-movie stuff, but I don't think I've ever seen a Jedi straight-up finish off an opponent after they've been clearly defeated or are no longer a direct threat. Jedi have killed folks in combat, but you don't seen them execute beaten opponents. Anakin doing that to Dooku was a big step on his path to the Dark Side.

Obi-Wan and Yoda clearly don't know how to ultimately take down Vader with that philisophy. The Jedi are in an unprecedented situation here. They keep telling Like to "confront" him with the expectation that things will lead to Vader's death because of the Dark Side or whatever.

Just my take.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still sloppy as hell, and plain bad at times.

But the entire Vader Kenobi confrontation was fantastic. And leads perfectly into ANH.

A second season would be ridiculous, and dumb as hell.