• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC my kids' middle school has a policy like this. It's well-meaning in that it tries to make these years, which are really hard, easier and less awkward, but it's not a workable thing.

Nov 17, 2017
As a kid who had extreme image issues and being told no from every girl in class for our forced dance classes because I was fat and had dandruff and spent most of my teens with suicidal thoughts and confidence issues I say this is ok. The reverse is ban the dances altogether because in the end someone gets hurt.

I guess it's a little different because for us it was mandatory dance classes like once a week in PE and I think mens mental health is something that is overlooked a lot and it starts in school. Breaking down and crying and been told to 'behave' and stop acting silly by teachers when I was only 8 and constantly rejected by my peers.
Moral of this story is school is fucking torture for everyone.
I think the problem is that your teacher created a situation where the boys had to go asking girls to dance with them in a forced setting. Why do that? I remember doing some paired dancing in gym and it was always randomly assigned by the teacher. You weren't necessarily paired with the opposite sex because someone would get left out anyway but also because it wasn't the point. The point was to learn the dance, it had nothing to do with romance. Your mental health and self-esteem should not have even been a factor in the lesson.

As for dance events that have a more romantic theme, like a Valentine's Day dance for crying out loud, those obviously should be optional. Imagine forcing a girl to go with a guy to the winter formal because of men's mental health. That's not the girl's responsibility. I don't think they should be having mandatory daytime Valentine's Day dances for 11 year olds anyway. In the story, the principal said the mom should take her kid home that day in the future - like they really don't have anything else going on that day that the kid can do? When I was in middle school, the winter and spring dances were after school hours and Valentine's Day just meant you'd get candy in class.

I had that unit. It was a bad unit. So boriiiinnnnggg

The party dance unit was some good shit though. Do the sliiiiiide baby
Those gym days when they busted out Cottoneye Joe and Cha Cha Slide were lit. Best gym days outside of dodgeball and when they brought out the little gym scooters.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Dancing was part of compulsory P.E. education when I was in school. I think you wouldn't be allowed to skip class, but you would be allowed to choose whoever you wanted, including someone the same gender, to pair up with for pair dances. I don't think there was ever anyone who never got paired. The teacher would always find a way to ensure everyone had a partner without the need for this kind of rule.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Basically when we practiced dances for the school dance you had to partner up but it was your choice who you choose, boys on one side of the gym, girls on the other and one side would choose for some dances then the other side chooses, you don't force it, sure you might not get your choice but you just joined with whoever and practiced the dances. It can be awkward as hell as most kid situations like that but you roll with it because everyone else is too and it's all good in the end and you don't act like a lemon at the real dance because it's not awkward anymore.

What they done in the OP, that is awful and backwards.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a kid who had extreme image issues and being told no from every girl in class for our forced dance classes because I was fat and had dandruff and spent most of my teens with suicidal thoughts and confidence issues I say this is ok. The reverse is ban the dances altogether because in the end someone gets hurt.

I guess it's a little different because for us it was mandatory dance classes like once a week in PE and I think mens mental health is something that is overlooked a lot and it starts in school. Breaking down and crying and been told to 'behave' and stop acting silly by teachers when I was only 8 and constantly rejected by my peers.
Moral of this story is school is fucking torture for everyone.

That logic implies women owe something to men, but we don't.

How about you just don't reinforce and normalise patriarchal oppression and force young girls to do what men want them to? Women have a right to choose and I am sick of us being told that we don't have that choice or shouldn't have that choice because a man's feelings might be hurt. What about our feelings?

Do you have any idea how many young women are abused by men because we're told our entire lives that being dutiful and servile is a woman's job? It is not a woman's job to protect a man's ego and if I had to choose between a man's ego being hurt or a woman's self-worth being degraded, there's no contest.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Naw your parents were wrong too about that. Boys have the same right to say no that girls do. Politeness means the ability to reject people and accept rejections gracefully.

I have no problem with telling my daughter to say no in cases like this. The school can deal with me after. That's a dumb policy.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
I think the first time I ever danced was when I was twelve or thirteen years old, attending a kind of "orientation" for the local high school I was presumably going to attend. Separated by sex and herded into the gym's studio for a dancing lesson from the school's instructor with other boys from my class. Paired up, shown the steps, here's the music, then get to it while everyone watches. There I was, an introverted thirteen year old nerd forced to dance for the first time with another person, and it's another guy in front of a room full of guys who routinely made my daily school life an ordeal.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
In my opinion just get rid of school dances entirely at this point. Not sure about everyone else's experience but the few that I went to back in 2009ish when I was in junior high were terrible.

Everyone is awkward as fuck and no one goes home feeling great about themselves. They actually ended up cancelling them entirely when I got to grade 10 because all the high school students just used them as an excuse to smuggle in alcohol and drink. There wasnt enough interest in them from junior high kids either

A relic better left in the past

Oct 25, 2017
One of those things that out of touch people dream up trying to make sure everyone is included but in reality removes the agency that people, regardless of age, should have over their lives.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the first time I ever danced was when I was twelve or thirteen years old, attending a kind of "orientation" for the local high school I was presumably going to attend. Separated by sex and herded into the gym's studio for a dancing lesson from the school's instructor with other boys from my class. Paired up, shown the steps, here's the music, then get to it while everyone watches. There I was, an introverted thirteen year old nerd forced to dance for the first time with another person, and it's another guy in front of a room full of guys who routinely made my daily school life an ordeal.
Were those guys homophobic? That's not the school problem, dances classes are to learn how to dance.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think there's any lesson more important when it comes to raising young men on dating/romance than teaching them how to take and respect a rejection

This is dumb

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, that's not ok, consent is a thing.

Not that getting shot down at the school dance is fun, but it's important to be told no, how the hell are they going to go out in the real world later.