Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
I hope he threw away all the recipts.
It's easily over 20k.

The smallest bottles sure cost a dollar, but everything else you're looking in the price range of 2.97 for medium sized bottles to $10ish dollars for the packs of Lysol.

He sold some before being blacklisted on Amazon. The AG will probably get records of his sales

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's really funny is I bet he was the one that went to the media trying to drum up attention if not more sales. Hopefully he is not compensated and fined on top of it.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
In my mind, the guy is likely out all this money and also has to deal with being all over the media as a pariah during a national tragedy.

I'm ok with that as his punishment. If people want to fine him or something as well, I get it, but knowing this tool tried to screw people over and will lose all his investments is fine with me.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
You know, if you just wanted to make a decent profit. He would have been fine. Sell them for a few bucks more, don't announce it to the world, etc. Dude could have walked out with 2x, 3x, 4x what he paid.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation

m7EQK0q.gif

He is probably out of his savings or in deep debt now. Scum.

Expresses remorse. “That’s not who I am."
OP
OP
cameron

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.nytimes.com

The Man With 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer Just Donated Them (Published 2020)

A Tennessee man had planned to sell his stockpile at marked-up prices online. Now he is under investigation for price gouging.

On Sunday morning, Matt Colvin, an Amazon seller outside Chattanooga, Tenn., helped volunteers from a local church load two-thirds of his stockpile of hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes into a box truck for the church to distribute to people in need across Tennessee.
Officials from the Tennessee attorney general's office on Sunday took the other third, which they plan to give to their counterparts in Kentucky for distribution. (Mr. Colvin and his brother Noah bought some of the supplies in Kentucky this month.)
The donations capped a tumultuous 24 hours for Mr. Colvin. On Saturday morning, The New York Times published an article about how he and his brother cleaned out stores of sanitizer and wipes in an attempt to profit off the public's panic over the coronavirus pandemic. Mr. Colvin sold 300 bottles of hand sanitizer at a markup on Amazon before the company removed his listings and warned sellers they would be suspended for price gouging.
--------------------------------
In an hourlong interview on Sunday, Mr. Colvin expressed remorse for his actions and said that when he decided to hoard the sanitizer and wipes, he didn't realize the gravity of the coronavirus outbreak or the severe shortage of sanitizer and wipes.
"I've been buying and selling things for 10 years now. There's been hot product after hot product. But the thing is, there's always another one on the shelf," he said. "When we did this trip, I had no idea that these stores wouldn't be able to get replenished."
He said the outpouring of hate has been scary for him and his family. He said people have incessantly called his cellphone, posted his address online and sent pizzas to his home. His inbox was flooded with ugly messages, he said. One email he shared with The Times said: "Your behavior is probably going to end up with someone killing you and your wife and your children."
"It was never my intention to keep necessary medical supplies out of the hands of people who needed them," he said, crying. "That's not who I am as a person. And all I've been told for the last 48 hours is how much of that person I am."
Now Mr. Colvin is facing consequences. On Sunday, Amazon and eBay suspended him as a seller, which is how he has made his living for years. The company where he rented a storage unit kicked him out. And the Tennessee attorney general's office sent him a cease-and-desist letter and opened an investigation.

Tennessee's price-gouging law prohibits charging "grossly excessive" prices for a variety of items, including food, gas and medical supplies, after the governor declares a state of emergency. The state can fine people up to $1,000 a violation.
The language of the law could benefit Mr. Colvin. Gov. Bill Lee of Tennessee declared a state of emergency on March 12, activating the price-gouging law. The Colvin brothers bought all of the sanitizer and wipes in question before that date, and Mr. Colvin said he did not sell anything after it.
A spokeswoman for the Tennessee attorney general's office said that even if the Colvin brothers did not buy or sell any of the supplies after March 12, state authorities "will weigh all options under consumer laws."

XL1XJeV.jpg

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
It was never my intention to keep necessary medical supplies out of the hands of people who needed them," he said, crying. "That's not who I am as a person

Before anyone thinks of being sympathetic. He cleared out 17,000 bottles. Not a single shelf. This is systematic profiteering of a product that people couldn't get.

He's a complete heartless wanker who wanted to profit from a crisis and he can lie in the bed he made.

Of course he didn't want to keep them out of people hands. He wanted to give them to them, at inflated prices.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Zero sympathy. He knew exactly what he was doing. And I really hate when people get caught doing something stupid and then saying this is not who I am. You got caught so just live up to it.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Bart set fire to the Christmas presents, then the whole town went to their house and took everything

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019

www.nytimes.com

The Man With 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer Just Donated Them (Published 2020)

A Tennessee man had planned to sell his stockpile at marked-up prices online. Now he is under investigation for price gouging.

On Sunday morning, Matt Colvin, an Amazon seller outside Chattanooga, Tenn., helped volunteers from a local church load two-thirds of his stockpile of hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes into a box truck for the church to distribute to people in need across Tennessee.
Officials from the Tennessee attorney general's office on Sunday took the other third, which they plan to give to their counterparts in Kentucky for distribution. (Mr. Colvin and his brother Noah bought some of the supplies in Kentucky this month.)
The donations capped a tumultuous 24 hours for Mr. Colvin. On Saturday morning, The New York Times published an article about how he and his brother cleaned out stores of sanitizer and wipes in an attempt to profit off the public's panic over the coronavirus pandemic. Mr. Colvin sold 300 bottles of hand sanitizer at a markup on Amazon before the company removed his listings and warned sellers they would be suspended for price gouging.
In an hourlong interview on Sunday, Mr. Colvin expressed remorse for his actions and said that when he decided to hoard the sanitizer and wipes, he didn't realize the gravity of the coronavirus outbreak or the severe shortage of sanitizer and wipes.
"I've been buying and selling things for 10 years now. There's been hot product after hot product. But the thing is, there's always another one on the shelf," he said. "When we did this trip, I had no idea that these stores wouldn't be able to get replenished."
He said the outpouring of hate has been scary for him and his family. He said people have incessantly called his cellphone, posted his address online and sent pizzas to his home. His inbox was flooded with ugly messages, he said. One email he shared with The Times said: "Your behavior is probably going to end up with someone killing you and your wife and your children."
"It was never my intention to keep necessary medical supplies out of the hands of people who needed them," he said, crying. "That's not who I am as a person. And all I've been told for the last 48 hours is how much of that person I am."
Now Mr. Colvin is facing consequences. On Sunday, Amazon and eBay suspended him as a seller, which is how he has made his living for years. The company where he rented a storage unit kicked him out. And the Tennessee attorney general's office sent him a cease-and-desist letter and opened an investigation.

Tennessee's price-gouging law prohibits charging "grossly excessive" prices for a variety of items, including food, gas and medical supplies, after the governor declares a state of emergency. The state can fine people up to $1,000 a violation.
The language of the law could benefit Mr. Colvin. Gov. Bill Lee of Tennessee declared a state of emergency on March 12, activating the price-gouging law. The Colvin brothers bought all of the sanitizer and wipes in question before that date, and Mr. Colvin said he did not sell anything after it.
A spokeswoman for the Tennessee attorney general's office said that even if the Colvin brothers did not buy or sell any of the supplies after March 12, state authorities "will weigh all options under consumer laws."

XL1XJeV.jpg

I don't feel sorry.

Dude heard there was an epidemic that threatened thousands of people

Fuck him

Fuck his family.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be honest I don't see how death threats are disgraceful (they are) but willingly profiting off something like this by hoarding needed supplies is not

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
He expected to sell 1800 bottles of hand sanitiser at $20 a pop while believing that there'd still be stock available on shelves. He literally doesn't have a selling point unless people are unable to buy the shit he's hoarding. He's full of shit and deserves the full consequences of the law.

Anyone harassing him through his phone number of his address are awful though. Also, it goes without saying that any death threats aren't deserved.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
User banned (2 months): inflammatory rhetoric rationalising threatening children over multiple posts
I think the issue is you saying that a literal toddler is in any way to blame for this situation. Maybe that wasn't your intent, but that is how your post reads.

Him and his family, those that have brain cells to judge situations, are just to blame. That includes his wife.

His toddler? Chances are his toddler will grow up to take after daddy. And it's why I don't feel sorry for it. Just like I don't feel sorry for say, Trumps children. Or any children of a capitalist abuser who takes advantage of a situation.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Him and his family, those that have brain cells to judge situations, are just to blame. That includes his wife.

His toddler? Chances are his toddler will grow up to take after daddy. And it's why I don't feel sorry for it. Just like I don't feel sorry for say, Trumps children. Or any children of a capitalist abuser who takes advantage of a situation.

When the revolution comes Imma have to keep an eye on you. I ain't down with punishing children for the sins of the parents.

Oct 27, 2017

www.nytimes.com

Bullshit. Of course he realised the significance of the shortage, that's the basis of his whole profiteering. If stocks were just going to be replenished he's not going to have many people interested in buying $20 hand sanitizer. Fuck him.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
I kind of feel bad for him and his family. What he did is really unethical and highly problematic, but public outrage and outrage-driven prosecution towards him seemed too much. People take blind eyes on hundreds of millions of blood money profits from drugs and firearms and literally feel happy that this man and his family got death threats, outsiders went in to destroy family's property and harass his parents. (This trash deserved this,hooray!!! Evil is defeated!)
Hope NYT next time could conduct a detailed article to investigate and expose a problematic billionaire who literally profiting from death of others., don't forget to attach the family members' photo and resident address location to public.
And now Youtube also put the videos contain this man's face, family photos and his family's address on the front page so more people could hate him more.
This news and its following events remind me of the Black Mirror episode of White Bear. Pretty disgusting.

Last edited:

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Time to send these toddlers to reeducation camp and separate from their trash capitalism parents, so we could have a new generation of model citizens!!!
/s

Did you think the revolution would allow dissidents? I'm a pragmatist. The conservative scum have done enough damage to this planet.

And if you don't agree, you're part of the problem. Simple of that. Centrist scum deserve no quarter.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

Resetera(tm)

Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel appalled for Jared Kushner or Ivanka trump, who are children of nasty capitalists.

It is interesting that you do. Interesting, that you post on a progressive forum..

Whose side are you on? Hm?

Are you for real? Jared Kushner is an adult. So is Ivanka. They can make their own decisions. I didn't think you could get any more ridiculous but congrats.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't feel appalled for Jared Kushner or Ivanka trump, who are children of nasty capitalists.

It is interesting that you do. Interesting, that you post on a progressive forum..

Whose side are you on? Hm?
Dude, they are the children of horrible people, but are now adults and horrible on their own. The toddlers in this story still haven't done anything.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Are you for real? Jared Kushner is an adult. So is Ivanka. They can make their own decisions. I didn't think you could get any more ridiculous but congrats.
Dude, they are the children of horrible people, but are now adults and horrible on their own. The toddlers in this story still haven't done anything.

Yeah. They're both different children who grew up to be terrible adults. What's the common denominator here? Their parents. Filthy capitalist scum.

Capitalism, go home.

It's EASY to call out the capitalist apologists on this forum.

Jun 22, 2019
Fuck this guy and all, but at this point his arc is over and it seems he lost money on the scheme, so all's well that ends well.

Now I sure do wish this sort of fervor could be directed at mega corporations and all their human rights violations.