• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Pretty surprised to see Mike go off on Trump. He's supported him in the past. He's a LI Republican, but he's all over the place lol. He's supported Biden, Bloomie, etc. Hopefully, more sports media personalities start using their platforms like this. I doubt it. Mike has clout so he can do what he wants.

One of his better rants.

back afta this....

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
One of the few times that Mike is right on target here.

Don is in charge, he shouldn't be asking the media to do his job for him, but that would mean actually leading, which is something Drumpf is incapable of.

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
For those outside the NY sports bubble, Mike and Donald were legit friends before Don got into politics and Mike spent a good chunk of shows in 2016 stumping for Trump

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
francesa.png
Dese weren't old men, they were 35 yeah olds, DEAD! 40 yeah olds DEAD! DEY WEAH SPECIMENS!!

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mike used to park Fred Trump's car as a kid working summer jobs at a golf course on Long Island.

He loved Trump.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Not to be petty in a time like this but all the American exceptionalism he is spouting gets on my nerves. This isn't sports, this isn't about being better than other countries. There is nothing at all constructive going on in this rant. "Get this stuff made and ship it to hospitals", well duh, thanks for your expertise Mr Sports Newscaster.

He thought this wouldn't affect him since he is an old white Republican and this is supposed to affect the other guys, what did he vote Trump for if shit like this affects him, how isn't America doing better than other countries with Republicans in absolute control?

His bubble is bursting and he's lashing out. The thing is, that's a very comfortable bubble and I'm sure he'll be in Trump's camp come election time.

Still harrowing to hear his first hand information about the state of hospitals and healthy people just being wiped out by this virus.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Not to be petty in a time like this but all the American exceptionalism he is spouting gets on my nerves. This isn't sports, this isn't about being better than other countries. There is nothing at all constructive going on in this rant. "Get this stuff made and ship it to hospitals", well duh, thanks for your expertise Mr Sports Newscaster.

He thought this wouldn't affect him since he is an old white Republican and this is supposed to affect the other guys, what did he vote Trump for if shit like this affects him, how isn't America doing better than other countries with Republicans in absolute control?

His bubble is bursting and he's lashing out. The thing is, that's a very comfortable bubble and I'm sure he'll be in Trump's camp come election time.

Still harrowing to hear his first hand information about the state of hospitals and healthy people just being wiped out by this virus.
He's a classic well-off white male Boomer. Dude has no idea how gutted the US's social infrastructure is. They just expect stuff to work not knowing that countries need more investment than just the tax breaks and such.

All these guys have blinders and they run our country as well.

Last edited:

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing makes me roll my eyes more than when people complain about politicizing the pandemic. What are we supposed to do? One side is literally denying facts and science. Disagreeing with fantasy makes it politicized. What are we supposed to do?

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing makes me roll my eyes more than when people complain about politicizing the pandemic. What are we supposed to do? One side is literally denying facts and science. Disagreeing with fantasy makes it politicized. What are we supposed to do?

Protecting Trump's honor--and not being judged for supporting him--is more important to them than calling out how inadequate and slapdash the response has been.

It is betrayal, plain and simple.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
"We're supposed to be better than everybody. We're America."

Give me a break. You have a political system that's fundamentally broken and you elected the most ignorant buffoon in the history ignorant buffoons to lead your country. And now that he's facing an actual crisis, surprise, he is at his most ignorant and most idiotic and most dangerous.

The rest of what this guy's saying is on point but give it a rest with the exceptionalism for one fucking second.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Hopefully, more sports media personalities start using their platforms like this. I doubt it. Mike has clout so he can do what he wants.
Yea I seriously doubt it.
Even in a blue city like Houston anytime they mention Trump even for the most innocuous things they're like "look, look, look this isn't political but Trump would get smashed by tiger woods in golf"

and they STILL get idiot magats texting in to defend Trump or stop making sports political

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being gung ho for a guy that says "Hey if we only lose 200,000 fucking people, we did a good job"

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mike was the biggest Trump guy and is stubborn as all hell, this is kind of shocking.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I hate Mike Francesa, but I'd love it if every single sports radio/TV person did exactly this. It's far past time for people to be getting angry at this, and angry in the correct direction.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Mike was the biggest Trump guy and is stubborn as all hell, this is kind of shocking.
I still think Mike will cast his vote for Donny boy again come November.

To be fair, he's said he's not all happy with everything Trump has done pre-COVID. But he never goes into detail. He keeps it vague. He has even said Trump has done good things lol. But never mentions anything outside of "the economy" lol.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Mike's "political" takes and acumen on his afternoon drive show were just as shit as his film takes and faux thespianism - and the condescending way he speaks to everyone is so off putting.

If he's finally criticising Trump, it comes as a shock to me.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

not really. "what happens if i lose somebody i love what happens if i lose my friends" ahh there we go.

i'll only give him credit for his turn if in a few months, in four years, in eight years he votes to change all the things he's ranting about. but i bet when this is all over his head goes right back into the sand.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Da gawd

Disasters is where Mike is at his best. During Sandy, his 4 hour show was basically a therapy/information broadcast every day, I remember looking forward to it as me and my wife drove around looking for places to charge our laptops since we didn't have electricity for 10 days.

He's spot on with a lot of this, a huge part of his fan base is white boomer republicans (especially on Long Island) so hopefully this breaks through to them and more people start calling Trump for his bullshit when it comes to this response.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of this is "So don't give me the MY PILLOW guy up here doing a song and dance in the middle of the afternoon while people are dying in Queens"

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Yup. My hope for him getting voted out is less about turning the hardcore MAGA heads who feel like they have nothing to lose and thus are all in, but the more upper class American types.

They rocked with his policies because of their own subconscious bias or for that their lifestyle party boat kept on a rocking in his presidency so why care about immigrants or muslim bigotry.

Hell, even with some of these changes I could imagine them still thinking everything is all good; they might like working from home.

But the stock crash, effective banning of a large amount of entertainment until the summer, and having to show up 6am outside of a grocery store for toilet paper...they didnt sign up for it, lol. There will be anger. Hopefully aimed at the right direction because its hard to sell illegal immigrants taking jobs when there are none, and 'shithole country' residents flying in when there are no flights

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
if this gets through to some trump cultists then good but yeah fuck mike. everything trump has done up to this point (the corruptions, kids in cages, the white nationalism) was a-ok but now your upset? now you are shocked by his response? his lack of empathy or ability to lead?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The American exceptionalism is always groan-worthy but I've actually found it to be a good barometer when talking with more conservative folks in terms of how much hypocrisy are they willing to bear. Because someone who truly believes America to be "the greatest country in the world" should not be able to accept the corruption, ineptitude, dishonesty, vainglory, sacrilege (for the religious), and outright hatred and cruelty that the GOP has embodied for decades but has particularly boldly embodied since Trump's election.

The conservative folks deeply drenched in the sauce, those that have consumed Fox News and similar media for a significant point in time, will pivot to blaming Democrats, other countries, and/or other minority groups without a second thought. More moderate types, however, won't jump straight to that on a dime, and need a bit of a better incentive to smile and nod.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the biggest reasons the Republican congresspeople have been sticking with Trump is that the electorate is no longer influenced by people like Francesa, Rep. Peter King, etc. who would call out these things when pushed into a corner.

This turned out to be a "good" rant, and made just in time. Between the month/rent cycle turning over and the virus resource "peak" imminent in the NYC area starting the end of next week, things are about to get worse.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

What we're seeing is cognative dissonance being threatened. Yes, he's just realized Donny Down The Block is the monstrous, crooked, idiotic puppet "those people" said he was. Why we're better than "those shithole countries" when this is happening, etc.

The problem is whether the battle between his intellect and empathy vs. his dark side, shallow understanding of WHAT Individual-1 is, and mountains of propaganda. Alot of people fail that fight, and fall beyond help.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Soledad O'Brien roasting Mike lmao. Soledad is pretty intense on Twitter lol.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
On a side note, I dont know how people can regularly listen to these kinds of radio rants for this long. So, this is how truck drivers become brainwashed.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
On a side note, I dont know how people can regularly listen to these kinds of radio rants for this long. So, this is how truck drivers become brainwashed.
Sometimes its comforting to listen to someone complain while doing something relatively low-brain activity like spreadsheets.

I do it with Jim sterling or various lefttube things.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017

It just passes time in the car honestly. When I drove to work I listened to Boomer and Gio in the AM on the way home Michael Kay. Would throw on Mike when I wanted to drive myself crazy.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's a classic well-off white male Boomer. Dude has no idea how gutted the US's social infrastructure is. They just expect stuff to work not knowing that countries need more investment than just the tax breaks and such.

All these guys have blinders and they run our country as well.

god this sounds like 96 percent of my patients at work. Super wealthy republican sports dads from in and around staten island who think just because there grandma came from italy it makes them itallians, despite never actually traveling there.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
god this sounds like 96 percent of my patients at work. Super wealthy republican sports dads from in and around staten island who think just because there grandma came from italy it makes them itallians, despite never actually traveling there.
Lol.

Staten Island and LI boomers are Mike's bread and butter.