Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
so sick of watching self appointed holier-than-thou woke allies in these threads just eating up and regurgitating republican talking points

you're not fooling anyone, racists.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
thinking critically about words and language is tough. news media need to target the lowest common denominator audience who don't have those skills

its the worst

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is an odd characterization. The bill was only just introduced in February. Literally nothing has happened with it. It was a democrat led legistlation but it still had 40 Republican co-sponsors. Legislation led by one political party in this fucked up divisive time is going to have a hard enough problem, but I'm not surprised if other Republican politicians didn't sign onto the legislation because it mandated by law if it passed that the fund exist till 2090. That's not a typo.
You're surprised a politician is playing games? Cortez has shown beyond everything else she's shrewd as fuck, and isn't afraid of going for a gut punch.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i attempted to read the full quote and couldn't even understand what it was trying to say
Because the terrorists where muslim jihadists, every muslim in America had to pay the price for the crime with their civil rights.

Kind of like how Japanese-Americans lost civil rights for the actions of Imperial Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
i attempted to read the full quote and couldn't even understand what it was trying to say

9/11 was terrorism, however a connection was made to a broader religious (instead of geopoltical) ideology which was weaponized to demonize Muslims and to reduce civil liberties as a whole just because "some people did some thing"

the generalization is important to the point because it better contextualizes what the response of American society was at the time aka to demonize an entire religion and reduce civil liberties because "some people did some things"

In that context what the people did is irrelevant

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
You know exactly what people are doing when they say Ilhan Omar did not show enough outrage about 9/11 and was not aggressive enough with her words describing the people who committed terror acts on 9/11

I can smell the BS a mile away

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
So she's the moron here ?
LB0L00N.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Let's face it, the only reason she has a target on her back is because they want her dead. Anything she says or does is going to be justification for them. Same goes for AOC.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Pelosi, Schumer and all those other Israel-loving Democrats are enjoying that AIPAC money to their fullest. Fucking spineless all of them.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm not a bigot, but keep trying to paint me as such. You're not particularly clever or subtle.

It drives me crazy that she makes these moronic comments like these. She was trying to make a good point that following the terrorist attacks of 9/11, Muslim Americans are treated differently and worse. But now everyone will only talk about how she said "some people did something."

Some quality concern trolling rh.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
You know exactly what people are doing when they say Ilhan Omar did not show enough outrage about 9/11 and was not aggressive enough with her words describing the people who committed terror acts on 9/11

On that note why haven't all Muslims added in a 6th daily prayer where they collectively face towards Ground Zero for repentance? Like it's the least they could do

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Ilhan's "problem" is that she tends to speak very informally and un-politician like. If you're in politician mode, you would never bring up 9/11 in this context without paying respect. But, even though I assume this was a prepared speech she planned for, Ilhan is still speaking in a rather relaxed way, even though she's speaking on a subject matter that is obviously very important to her.

I actually sort of love how she always speaks in this rather off-the-cuff way, but it's going to continue to get her into situations like this.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans (and some people in this thread too) should publish a handbook stating which phrases are OK to use in interviews, and the acceptable terms for different events throught world history. Maybe then, once everyone's speech is adequate enough for their delicate and refined sensibilities, they will start paying attention to the actual content of the message for once, hopefully understanding the meaning of it.

But I guess it's easier to discredit something because you don't like or understand how it was written than use real arguments to explain why it's incorrect. The latter would require engaging in a good-faith discussion, which clearly is not what politics is about.

Cub3h

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The NY Post is scum. Describing 9/11 as "some people did something" is political insanity.

We all know what she meant, but why in the world would you ever use those words? Talk about scoring an own goal, the Repubs will be playing that on loop during the next election. It's on the same level as Romney's 47% quote that sank his campaign.

Oct 29, 2017
And how many have died to white domestic terrorism since 9/11? And how many Republicans admit that white domestic terrorism even exists?

Your fucking president didn't just stop at calling Neo Nazis "some people", he actively went above and beyond and called them "very fine people". I'll pull up a chair and wait for Republicans to call this shit out first.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
The willful stupidity and perpetuation of these attacks on her by agreeing with the right is absolutely maddening and one of the saddest things I've seen on a "progressive" website.

I'm 100% on her side, which is why I feel like I have to speak honestly: Rep. Ilhan made a slightly poor choice of words, and now that's being leveraged against her in a racist hate campaign.
Acknowledging that the choice of words was slightly poor isn't coming from hate or bigotry, it's coming from a belief that it's wrong to ignore mistakes made by friends because we're on the same side. That's what the other side does.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Crenshaw is a rat bastard scum. Fuck him and his moderate act.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% on her side, which is why I feel like I have to speak honestly: Rep. Ilhan made a slightly poor choice of words, and now that's being leveraged against her in a racist hate campaign.
Acknowledging that the choice of words was slightly poor isn't coming from hate or bigotry, it's coming from a belief that it's wrong to ignore mistakes made by friends because we're on the same side. That's what the other side does.
Some people here don't get this.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The NY Post is scum. Describing 9/11 as "some people did something" is political insanity.

We all know what she meant, but why in the world would you ever use those words? Talk about scoring an own goal, the Repubs will be playing that on loop during the next election. It's on the same level as Romney's 47% quote that sank his campaign.

Yes democrats should condemn her for not using the words terror when describing 9/11. It doesn't matter if she described it as terrorism a minute before she needed to drape herself with a flag while describing it

animus82

Nov 1, 2017
They want to kill her to send a message, they know if they throw enough bullshit out into the universe one of their crazies will do it

This is the unfortunate truth. Either kill her or scare her enough to silence her forever.

She should rethink how she approaches topics on Twitter. Being PC works both ways. We know 9/11 is a terrorist attack and an atrocity but you have got to phrase it properly than saying it's "some people, did some things" She isn't in a bar, trying to make a point.

Oct 27, 2017
This tactic is fucking morbid. The narrative she is presenting, and trying to convey condemns the people this shit rag supports. Instead of trying to defend themselves they pick out the few words that can be twisted and try to change the entire narrative so now the story is about how Omar thinks little of 9/11 victims instead of racism against muslims..........and the entire reason why it works is BECAUSE OF RACISM AGAINST MUSLIMS. FUCK.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

How about none of this matters rat's lick. If her party gave a shit, they would co-ordinate a retraction and response, rather than leaving Omar's few stalwarts to do the gruntwork. History has context, and Omar is a marked woman,

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

How are those things even remotely comparable? No matter what context you put it in, Romney's meaning was clear. She's going to get shit for this JUST because she's Muslim. Nobody would have batted an eye if anyone else said it in that context.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah..

Like..I'm sure most people on Resetera understand her intent. She is not handwaving what happened, but is saying that some people(In this case, terrorists) managed to co-opt how Muslims are viewed in America. But it is the choice of words, that are letting people on the right co-opt what she said. This is a soundbite that will be used ad infinitum from now on. Ilhan should know that she is the target of the right, even more so than AOC. When she chooses her words, they should be chosen to be ironclad...she shouldn't have to, but as a politician, it is the game that is played, and she has a massive target on her compared to any other politician.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Thank you. This, exactly.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah politically speaking it was worded horribly. Given the other incorrect info in the statement, I'm going to assume it wasn't a prepared speech. I can imagine her fellow dems heads exploded when they heard it, and likewise her republican colleagues most likely cheered.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
the sarcastic-commenter whisperer has logged-on

The utter lack of context and nuance in Sen. Omar's commentary accurately reflects the amount of consideration and thoughtfulness with which the Bush administration responded to the attacks. One need only point to starting the war in Iraq at how little the administration actually cared about what the reality of the situation was, not to even get into the fact that all this time Saudi Arabia has been considered one of our allies despite having been the country of citizenship for the vast majority of the people who actually committed the acts in discussion here.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
How are those things even remotely comparable? No matter what context you put it in, Romney's meaning was clear. She going to get shit for this JUST because she's Muslim. Nobody would have batted an eye if anyone else said it in that context.
Disagree. 9/11, as well as other topics such as Jews and Israel are untouchable topics in America.

She made the mistake of talking about both.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a "bad look" for Ilhan Omar in the same way that this was a "bad look" for Obama and deserves about as much respect from us.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree. 9/11, as well as other topics such as Jews and Israel are untouchable topics in America.

She made the mistake of talking about both.
So she shouldn't have talked about the reason why Muslims are getting shit on in American society? She should just pretend it's not happening?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The extended text passage isn't more "context", it's just that, a slightly larger text passage. Watch the video of her speech, pay attention to what the event was and what she's talking about. The comments about "pointing out her mistake because we care" are embarrassing and cringeworthy as fuck but please continue falling for the same tired, anti-black, anti-muslim, anti-women narrative.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the link.

I just wanna say "fuck you" to every moron that decided Dan Crenshaw was on of the "good" Republicans, especially the people at SNL that invited him on their show because he got his feelings hurt by some extremely mild jokes. Absolutely disgusting.

Their are no good republicans because the modern republican party is a white supremacist organization and should be classified as such.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
They are going to get people hurt doing this. Someone was already arrested weeks ago for death threats against Omar. The U.S. right now is just bonkersville.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Some folks : "she really needs to talk about 9/11 like a real American or a right winger might hurt her .?its so idiotic of her to not be clear as to what she means because she needs to show her loyalty and don't get me started on the rag on her head "