• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to give NY Era a heads up. There is a three-day notice to allow for compliance.

twitter.com

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter

“#BREAKING: I am issuing an Executive Order today that all people MUST wear a mask or face covering in public in situations where social distancing is not possible.”

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Is he gonna supply them to all those who need to get to work providing essential services.... cause poorly made masks have a huge chance of increasing he risk of exposure due to the need to adjust them constantly.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Is he gonna supply them to all those who need to get to work providing essential services.... cause poorly made masks have a huge chance of increasing he risk of exposure due to the need to adjust them constantly.
Yep, I'm telling you. I am seeing people out with homemade masks and it's a disaster. There needs to be a better supply.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is about any sort of mask, even makeshift ones, not medical grade ones. And the purpose here isn't to protect healthy individuals from getting sick perse, it's to prevent sick individuals who may have mild symptoms or be pretty much asymptomatic from spreading

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah just ordered a pack of masks on Amazon, won't arrive until the end of the month though

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

www.syracuse.com

NY’s face mask order: What qualifies as a mask, who has to wear them

The order applies to essential workers who come in contact with the public.

State officials have issued more guidance on a new requirement that employers must supply face masks or protective coverings to essential workers who interact with clients or customers.

That could include a broad range of workers, from most grocery clerks and receptionists to some police officers and bus drivers -- anyone whose job routinely brings them within 6 feet of another person.

That order goes into effect at 8 p.m. tonight. It's effective until May 12.

Or what's going to happen?

I'm assuming a fine.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It needs to be made abundantly clear that most of the time, the mask you're wearing isn't for your protection, it's to protect others from you possibly infecting others.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is about any sort of mask, even makeshift ones, not medical grade ones. And the purpose here isn't to protect healthy individuals from getting sick perse, it's to prevent sick individuals who may have mild symptoms or be pretty much asymptomatic from spreading
Right but literally there's so much unclear research into what impact they actually have in prevention, but a ton in knowing that you have to wash them constantly, and you can't adjust them, and you need to adhere to very specific removal insutrctions otherwise you're literally on transit, or coming off transit touching your face...
Masks are always a good guideling suggestion, but mandatory enforcement when they're aren't a lot of fitting ones available, is going to put people who have to go out every day at an increased risk.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Need to issue one to the NYPD so they don't be beating folks for not wearing one

Oct 28, 2017
We've had to wear a mask in Austin in all public spaces since Tuesday. There was a huge line at Joann Fabrics the other day for mask materials.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Basically just saying "wear anything"

It needs to be made abundantly clear that most of the time, the mask you're wearing isn't for your protection, it's to protect others from you possibly infecting others.

Yep.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Cuomo's really been stepping up since this thing started. I didn't see much of him at all but once this Covid-19 hit it feels like he's become more of a fixture. I'm not even from NY but I see dude.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, they should have been educating people on how to wear a mask leading up to this order. I'm glad this order is coming out, but the implementation needs to be shored up.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Need to issue one to the NYPD so they don't be beating folks for not wearing one
Unfortunately, that's one of my biggest fears. Also the poor may not have access to them as much as those with greater financial means. Nor will they have things like sewing machines and the like.

Ideally, the cops should be used to distribute them, but NYPD are a buncha ganstas so I doubt it.

Oct 27, 2017
The demographic of people I see least likely to wear the masks are senior citizens. It's fucking weird. I just walking by thinking, "are y'all ok with just dying?"

Maybe they feel they've "lived a good life," and are fine with going out like that, rather than being mildly inconvenienced.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All these mask orders are really just for folks to keep from sneezing/coughing all over shit more or less. Which unfortunately is necessary for a lot of folks I see out and about

Well........that's weird, I didn't post the the post you responded to, but Era says I did.

You realize if people wearing shitty DIY masks or worse just scarves or bandannas, think they no longer have to cough/sneeze into their sleeve, that that will mean more virus gets out right?

All the studies I've read so far say the opposite of this, do you have some links I can read on this?

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know what enforcement of this is going to look like.

I also hope nobody is going to find a way to make imperfect execution mean that this can't be executed at all. Yes, ideally you'd pass an order like this and then every single prison and every single store and every single school and college and homeless shelter and so on would get masks and get them for super-cheap or free.

But until and unless that's actually possible despite all the stupid-ass fighting with the federal government or having to sneak them in from China or something, we need to actually just wear whatever we can and not argue about it. I'm gonna wear my bandana or scarf or tshirt or whatever, and I'm assuming most people are going to do the same.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy

People are still parroting this nonsense?

Masks are effective at reducing the viral load that is being shed, it has been proven in multiple studies. That's why the mandatory orders are now coming down from states across the country.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
All I'm saying if they are going to make these executive orders they need to think them through. Most places there are no masks to be found and with Amazon you're waiting until at least June according to the website. I'm literally witnessing people raising their face scarves to sneeze. People are confused.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You realize if people wearing shitty DIY masks or worse just scarves or bandannas, think they no longer have to cough/sneeze into their sleeve, that that will mean more virus gets out right?

I think it's a bad idea all around because I think governments are starting to realize that they're losing the stay-at-home battle and as time goes on more and more people are going to be restless and want to get out.

Any kind of reduction is better than no reduction.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Good.

I still see people walking around outside without masks, even in grocery stores.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's gotta go into work in NYC as essential staff. Good. Don't want to be seeing runners on the sidewalk without em though I wonder what they'll do about the homeless population

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know what enforcement of this is going to look like.

I also hope nobody is going to find a way to make imperfect execution mean that this can't be executed at all. Yes, ideally you'd pass an order like this and then every single prison and every single store and every single school and college and homeless shelter and so on would get masks and get them for super-cheap or free.

But until and unless that's actually possible despite all the stupid-ass fighting with the federal government or having to sneak them in from China or something, we need to actually just wear whatever we can and not argue about it. I'm gonna wear my bandana or scarf or tshirt or whatever, and I'm assuming most people are going to do the same.
NJ has required face coverings to enter essential stores. Coworker saw people being turned away from Target last night because they weren't wearing anything.

zoggy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I went to a convenience store today and nj does have a mask mandate and I saw people having a mask just to get inside the store but just wearing it around their neck. Like wtf you asshole this is not a fashion accessory

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I went to a convenience store today and nj does have a mask mandate and I saw people having a mask just to get inside the store but just wearing it around their neck. Like wtf you asshole this is not a fashion accessory
That's another thing too. A lot people are wearing masks around their necks they're not even putting them on.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
NJ has required face coverings to enter essential stores. Coworker saw people being turned away from Target last night because they weren't wearing anything.
I wasn't able to walk into a Duane Reed to pick up a prescription without something covering my mouth and nose yesterday. People were also being turned away at the grocery store this morning if they didn't have something covering their mouth and nose. This is in NJ.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
These masks aren't for your protection, its so that you don't spread things to others. Anything covering your face will help lower that possibility.