Oct 25, 2017
Dear Mr. Bezos:

New Yorkers do not want to give up on the 25,000 permanent jobs, 11,000 union construction and maintenance jobs, and $28 billion in new tax revenues that Amazon was prepared to bring to our state. A clear majority of New Yorkers support this project and were disappointed by your decision not to proceed.
We know the public debate that followed the announcement of the Long Island City project was rough and not very welcoming. Opinions are strong in New York—sometimes strident. We consider it part of the New York charm! But when we commit to a project as important as this, we figure out how to get it done in a way that works for everyone.
Governor Cuomo will take personal responsibility for the project's state approval and Mayor deBlasio will work together with the governor to manage the community development process, including the workforce development, public education and infrastructure investments that are necessary to ensure that the Amazon campus will be a tremendous benefit to residents and small businesses in the surrounding communities.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/03/andrew-cuomo-to-amazon-jeff-bezos-baby-come-back

WARNING PDF https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthe...a112e77301026beb86d/optimized/full.pdf#page=1 WARNING PDF

Alexa, play "Baby Come Back" by Hall & Oates.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Slurp slurp slurp

How that foxconn factory work out?
Why they think Amazon won't finesse their way out of paying their fair share in NY?

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
sMzyA2c.jpg

https://www.theonion.com/wait-mr-bezos-you-forgot-your-tax-subsidy-says-an-1832633757

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Man, we really need to re-frame the conversation around "bringing jobs" to a state/city.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Between this and the Huwawei ad, I have to wonder why newspapers even let people run these giant propaganda pieces in their pages anyway. Why bother going through the op-ed process when you can just buy space anyway?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic. As a former LIC resident, while I can understand the appeal of theoretical jobs being brought to the community, we also all know how Amazon treats its employees.

Spend that money on improving living conditions in the area rather than on bringing a company as evil and hostile as Amazon to the city.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
If they wanted to send a message to Bezos and not their constituents in NY, why didn't they take out the ad in the Bezos-owned Washington Post instead of the New York Times? Or would that be too close to bribery?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
If they enforce a high minimum wage, benefits, and work-life balance for all those new jobs then sure. If it's like all the stories that come out of amazon workplaces, then good riddance.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic. As a former LIC resident, while I can understand the appeal of theoretical jobs being brought to the community, we also all know how Amazon treats its employees.

Spend that money on improving living conditions in the area rather than on bringing a company as evil and hostile as Amazon to the city.

The 25000 jobs are almost all professional jobs, and Amazon treats its professional workers pretty well.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon also just canceled a huge office lease in Seattle and I won't be surprised if there is political and economic fallout from that as well. They know they need your city less than your city needs them.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the CEO of Modern Spaces signed that letter lol. Real estate industry was pissed when they pulled out

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
probably should have bought that ad space in the washington post

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Having a vociferous anti-Amazon contingent of the population is poor for New York's standing, but groveling in public, that certain'y won't be.

Fucking christ, I was largely on the fence about this whole thing, but how is this not just being publicly pitiful in this day and age?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Fuck these two... Selling out your city/state for a few bucks. Disgusting

Horrbily sad what's happening to this world. Cities are becoming and have become nothing but playgrounds for the rich and the underprivileged can wallow in poverty somewhere else. It's every bad cyberpunk cliche made reality.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The 25000 jobs are almost all professional jobs, and Amazon treats its professional workers pretty well.
Yeah. It wasn't like they were building a warehouse. It's a corporate HQ.

Theoretically, I'm really not opposed to a HQ here, but fucking involve your god damn constituents. Rollout a plan to keep housing affordable and maintain infrastructure *cough*MTA*cough*.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As one of those who actually liked Amazon coming to LIC (just 20mins away from my current job), this is just embarrassing and they should just let it go.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I think the fact that it's mostly white New Yonkers who don't even live in the area that are against Amazon is the most telling. A lot of people are struggling in NY and in a long run it could potentially help Queens. I get that economic incentives irritate people. But in the long those are relatively insignificant... Definitely much cheaper than for the government to try to pay for the area redevelopment themselves...

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Begging like he is fucking royalty. Fuck that, I think NY is dem enough to primary these two idiots.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. And would Amazon be hiring people from the local community to fill those jobs or would they be flooding it with rich white collar folks from New Jersey and Long Island?

In most Amazon campuses, the offices are mixed such that the majority of people are local(or graduated from a college recently in the area) but there will be a fair amount of people brought in from outside the area.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't a recent study show that minorities and long time new yorkers were vastly pro amazon and most of the people against them are white transplants that didn't want their rent to go up?