• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Are you kidding me right now? That's a full 20 years past the average man's life expectancy. The average person his age is literally dead.
At least lee is old enough to fight these allegations as opposed to liars shitting on him post mortem

Defending your legacy is important and that seems to be the tone from his lawyers

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Are you kidding me right now? That's a full 20 years past the average man's life expectancy. The average person his age is literally dead.

Well, to be fair, he's not being accused of some sort of strenuous physical activity. He's being accused of fondling himself while a nurse is present and "taking a nurses foot and place it near his genitals." If he's physically able to attend a con and sign autographs, he's physically capable of those things.

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven

That's the point. If Tyson were white, 100% he'd have never been convicted and would have had the same ERA support Stan Lee is getting, despite so many people trying to take Tyson's money.
Given your point is purely a hypothetical argument, there's no point in me attempting to continue this discussion.

I have no horse in this race, I neither read comics nor watch the movies. I just thought that was a weird comparison to use.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a marvel how the attitude in this thread seems vastly different compared to the usual sexual misconduct threads. Not what I expected from Era.

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of weird stories surrounding Stan Lee, people trying to take advantage of him, and stuff like that makes it hard to take any recent news seriously.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if true, I'm not going to let anything a 90+ year old says or does retroactively affect their legacy in my mind other than some crazy deathbed revelation/confessional. 90+year olds do unfortunate things that they wouldn't have done at 80. Anyone working with folks of that age are aware of that and make modifications to care.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
No, it was a history of behavior that caused the exodus, including the response to the accusation. And, Lee's case is unique given the current history of exploitation concerning him at his old age. He literally just had some nurses accusing him of inappropriate behavior that we apparently learned was part of an attempt to blackmail him, suggesting fraud. This is in addition to people stealing his actual blood for autographs. In this case, it's perfectly fine to be skeptical and want to wait for more facts. This ain't science, it's a sliding scale.

OK, appreciate the clarification regarding the 'exodus'. I get people might be skeptical based on recent reports, but I also don't think it's fair for some people to suggest the victim is just looking for a cashout.

loafofbread

Oct 28, 2017
If we assume it is true; in what conceivable way could this ever be proven? Barring some sort of security footage of the incident how would you be able to?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
OK, appreciate the clarification regarding the 'exodus'. I get people might be skeptical based on recent reports, but I also don't think it's fair for some people to suggest the victim is just looking for a cashout.
Why sue instead of a police report?

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a marvel how the attitude in this thread seems vastly different compared to the usual sexual misconduct threads. Not what I expected from Era.

The guy literally just had to be held up on the Infinity War red carpet. Can barely stand up. Like, he does not fit the sexual predator bill that society expects, independent of the veracity of these claims.

Oct 27, 2017
Stan lee has 90 years clean record, he just had someone steal his fucking blood for cash, and everyone trying to abuse him til he kicks the bucket

He has Earned the benefit of the doubt
does anyone disagree?

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
It's more than fair to suggest, since it's a civil suit seeking monetary damages -- it's at least as fair as taking her claims at face value.

If we assume it is true; in what conceivable way could this ever be proven? Barring some sort of security footage of the incident how would you be able to?
Of course you can't. The most desired likely outcome is not a trial but a settlement -- ask any civil attorney and they'll tell you raising hell about it in the press is part of the strategy.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It is entirely possible that he did something. Fame, health and age cannot possibly negate this. We can't dismiss the allegations out of hand.

It's also entirely possible that people are willing to take advantage of him by exaggerating or fabricating information, given all the legal complications that specifically involve his family and support staff. We can't dismiss this either.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018

I tell you what. If EvilLore were 95 years old, senile and immobile to the point of being taken advantage of by multiple other people, and there were reports that his accuser had tried extortion privately and was now resorting to a highly publicized lawsuit attempting to claim damages for "battery," and the original source for the accusations was The Daily Mail, you'd have a point here.

Conversely, if there was a history of shittiness on the part of Stan Lee, and he was reacting to the accusation by trying to stifle discussion of it and wrecking the site that it was taking place on, then your point would be stronger still.

But none of those things are true.

The article states that he rubbed his genitals and moaned. It's not crazy to think a 90 year old is capable of this. Also, is this accuser the same as the previous one as you suggest? If so, I wasn't aware of that.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
http://deadline.com/2018/04/stan-le...der-abuse-scheme-sell-vials-blood-1202364167/

A nurse extracted many containers of BLOOD from Stan Lee to sell in Las Vegas shops. He was duped of $4.6 million, then $300,000, then $850,000, then $1.4 million in four separate occasions. You really can't get any more vulnerable than this.
This is kind of why Im somewhat skeptical about this.

Like unless Im misunderstanding this, she didnt file a police report and is instead taking this to court? It just makes me skeptical.

If he did do it that really sucks, but I dont like taking things people say a face value.

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate your point, but do we need multiple accusers to believe one victim? We all abandoned the old site based on one accusation. Why was it okay in that case but not this?
Believe the victim ≠ Punish the accused
It's not worth splitting hairs when it comes to helping people who may be hurting, which is why you always treat the victim as truthful and give them support. However that doesn't automatically mean you also assume the accused is guilty, that person deserves due process and consideration before you destroy their career and reputation.

I dont know the guy, I'm not saying whether he's innocent or guilty either way, I'm just pointing out that this mental distinction is important and people sometimes forget it while trying to do right by the victim.
Do you need to wait for a court to make a personal judgement? No, but for example when it's a single accusation from the daily news, you may decide to wait and see before throwing out your signed comics.

And people had a lot more reasons for leaving the old site, too. Tensions had been high for at least a couple years already, multiple other instances had already been swept under the rug and that one was just the final straw that broke the camel's back. I won't go in depth because that's not really the topic at hand.

Last edited:

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's approaching 100. There's no way he's fully mentally sound. They really should have booked a masseuse who specializes in senile patients.

If this behaviour happened when he was in his youth, that's one thing, but the man can barely stand on his own.

My grandfather is approaching 100, he's still pretty fully mentally sound.

Still drives his own car amazingly.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
Stan lee has 90 years clean record, he just had someone steal his fucking blood for cash, and everyone trying to abuse him til he kicks the bucket

He has Earned the benefit of the doubt
does anyone disagree?
Even if he did it he is very old and in bad health, It's not like he is 25 years old,a boss, or a Harvey Winsteine type.

Not everyone is like your grandfather.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For a dude I've long respected as one of the greatest spokespeople for the comics industry, ever, the last few months of coverage have been very rough.

I don't want to cast doubt on accusers, or make light of the seriousness of these kinds of allegations any more than I want to get into the deep weeds of Stan Lee's mundane work relationships that people like to enlarge to the proportions of the characters and situations he used to write about.

Very unfortunate way for anyone to live the final chapter of their lives. Real life is messy and irresolute, but I don't what side to take anymore. I wish I did, but I just can't do anything but sit and watch with a very heavy heart.

Deleted member 6573

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): off-topic and inappropriate re-litigation of old forum baggage to downplay sexual misconduct allegations

Last edited:

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017

I find that hard to believe, but if so he is definitely one of the lucky ones because old age is a mean bitch to the human body.
Alzheimers, Blindness, and Dementia along with being senile makes most elderly folk over the age of 80 basically vegetables (seriously going into a nursing home is a harrowing experience).

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go speak to a female nurse or physiotherapist about the shit they deal with from old guys sometime.

This is not at all difficult to believe.

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EviLore's sexual assault accusation just pushed everyone over the top

Moderators over at NeoGAF would do the following:

1) Perma-banned people (like me) over petty, nonsensical reasons or technicalities (with no recourse, mind you)
2) Mocked and deride innocent people in their private IRC chat
3) Privately admitted (to other members) that they encouraged ridiculous moderation double-standards
4) Reveled in a complete and total lack of transparency in moderation and would nuke entire threads, communities, and people over minor issues or discontent
5) Would excessively cultivate their celebrity and would flaunt their power on a regular basis like tyrants

This was brewing for many years (even decades) and there were so many innocent casualties from their incredibly corrupt shitshow...that when everyone had a good excuse to start fresh we just ran

This is in no way similar to a 95-year-old man who's life is falling apart
Best part about leaving that place is proving we're willing to leave Reset in a heartbeat, too, if they pull that same nonsense. Things are better here so far. Hope it stays that way.

Except the mobile site. It's bad. GAF has a much nicer one.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find that hard to believe, but if so he is definitely one of the lucky ones because old age is a mean bitch to the human body.
Alzheimers, Blindness, and Dementia along with being senile makes most elderly folk over the age of 80 basically vegetables (seriously going into a nursing home is a harrowing experience).

I mean his reactions are slower, he walks slow, but metally he's pretty strong. He can still tell me stories from his childhood.

I've worked with a lot of 80+ year old people, and some of them are very sharp. On the other hand, I've worked with people in their fiftees and sixtees who are barely functional. It really depends sometimes.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Believe the victim ≠ Punish the accused
It's not worth splitting hairs when it comes to helping people who may be hurting, which is why you always treat the victim as truthful. However that doesn't automatically mean you also assume the accused is guilty, that requires due process to decide.

I'm not saying whether he's innocent or guilty either way, I'm just pointing out that this mental distinction is important.

And people had a lot of reasons for leaving the old site. Tensions had been high for at least a couple years already, multiple other instances had already been swept under the rug and that one was just the final straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm totally on board with this. My comments have been more on the side of the victim because many of the early comments seemed to write her off which didn't sit well with me.

Also, many have pointed out that I oversimplified the GAF situation. I accept that I mischaracterized that situation.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just quote myself from an older thread regarding proof, belief, and the idea of "innocent until proven guilty":

As others have stated, "innocent until proven guilty" is for a court of law. That is because the State can do things like incarcerate you or even execute you, in addition to seizing your assets. In our private lives, the story is different. Should we unduly rush to tear down any individual based off of the accusation of one individual? Probably not. This sort of mob mentality is what led to things like lynchings or drumheads in the past. That said, the public nor any private individual/company, should have to "wait for all the facts" or for the results of a full blown trial before casting their own judgment. Individuals can make up their own opinions about a certain person based on whatever knowledge they possess at the time. If fifty women come out and state that Bill Cosby raped them, the general public need not wait for a trial before deciding that he is a morally bankrupt scumbag. We should always strive to insure we have enough "facts" before "convicting" someone of any wrongdoing. But, only a criminal trial stipulates that a person is "innocent until proven guilty," that they are provided with a full trial overseen by a jury of their peers, and that any conviction must be validated by sufficient evidence beyond a reasonable doubt.

Outside of a court room we all can use our own set of standards to determine whether or not we believe an individual is guilty of any wrongdoing.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
I mean his reactions are slower, he walks slow, but metally he's pretty strong. He can still tell me stories from his childhood.

I've worked with a lot of 80+ year old people, and some of them are very sharp. On the other hand, I've worked with people in their fiftees and sixtees who are barely functional. It really depends sometimes.
Very true, its just that Ive worked with a lot of senior citzens in nursing homes and its just rare to get someone over 80 who is still conscious of their surroundings.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when did this person supposedly ask stan lee for money? wondering if the guy he is suing might have something to do with this. i wouldn't put it past him since this guy has been trying to fuck over stan lee for his money for quite a while. not saying he didn't do it but i guess i'm gonna just let this play itself out and not really take a hard stance.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one needs to jump to rash decisions and claim that Stan is innocent and the woman is a liar or vice versa. We don't need to choose sides when it's this early and little evidence has come out to help confirm or deny the allegations.

It's not necessary to always pick a side, and in a lot of cases, it makes sense to hear as many facts as physically possible before making any real judgements.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You guys seem to know all this stuff about Stan Lee as a person and his past that makes it hard for you to believe these allegations. What do you know about this woman's past that would make you not believe her? Knowing a lot about a famous person does not mean you know that person. Pretend this is a normal woman who accused a normal old man of turning a massage into something sexual. Pretend you dont know who he is. What are your grounds for not believing her?

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately she went back a second time but fortunately after the second incident, she decided to speak out.

Deleted member 18568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't buy it. This is the same accuser who straight up asked for money first. And when she didn't get it, sells the story to another rag three days before Infinity War.

Show proof and we'll talk. Right now it feels like opportunism.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
False allegations are rare but they do exist. Stan Lee is 95 years old and very vulnerable mentally. He has been scammed out of money before, there have been accusations of elder abuse, and his attorney has claimed in the past that people were trying to extort / blackmail money out of him.

Given the fact that he's such an easy target, it makes it more difficult for me to accept these accusations wholeheartedly at face value before a proper trial has been conducted. Evil does exist in this world. I can believe Stan Lee is an evil, nasty person, but I can also believe that he's being taken advantage of.
That's exactly how I'm seeing this. Well said.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
This is a complicated situation because, well, the man has been getting sucked dry when it comes to the money he has left. I"m not saying that because of the heroes he's created, I couldn't give less of a shit what his art is if he has mistreated women but it does make me doubt the fact that people have been fighting over his money for a long time now. Lets see where the story goes before jumping to conclusions, which is impossible for us at the moment considering the circumstances.

And once again, I am not doubting this story because of Stan Lee being Stan Lee. If one of my personal idols like Neil Gaiman or Ken Levine got accused of something like this I would turn on them very fast, but this story is different.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Re: Going to police

Haven't we learned that for a lot of women, its sort of ... nothing happens... ?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You guys seem to know all this stuff about Stan Lee as a person and his past that makes it hard for you to believe these allegations. What do you know about this woman's past that would make you not believe her? Knowing a lot about a famous person does not mean you know that person. Pretend this is a normal woman who accused a normal old man of turning a massage into something sexual. Pretend you dont know who he is. What are your grounds for not believing her?

No, because the actual facts change the situation. He's not a normal old man. He's a rich and famous figurehead of Marvel with an active history of being exploited. I'm not going to invent a whole new hypothetical to condemn Stan Lee.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Maria Carballo filed a lawsuit against Lee Monday, claiming he assaulted her in his room at the Hyatt Regency during the weekend of April 21-23 last year, during the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo, which he attended.

She claims she worked with Lee twice that weekend; the first session, he "began to fondle himself while lying down," she said in the filing acquired by the Daily News.

After he began to "moan and groan," Carballo allegedly left early.

She claims Lee apologized for his behavior and returned the next day "fearful of losing her job."

Carballo claims in the court documents that she performed a Shiatsu massage, using her feet instead of her hands. Lee then allegedly "took her foot and moved it against his genitals."
I did not need this image in my head...This is beyond disgusting. Guy is 95 years old and he does this crap?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, because the actual facts change the situation. He's not a normal old man. He's a rich and famous figurehead of Marvel with an active history of being exploited. I'm not going to invent a whole new hypothetical to condemn Stan Lee.
Him being famous is exactly why this would be so hard for a woman to come forth with an allegation like this. I can only imagine the horrific death threats she's already recieiving. He's an old rich man in a position of power and fame. What part about that makes that makes you doubt her? Again without all the facts who can say, but if she is telling the truth it's an incredibly courageous act given the abuse she is bound to suffer at the hands of internet mobs and actual real life psychos.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
He's had enough people try to swindle money out of him at this old age that I'm skeptical at the moment but will be on the look out for updates to this. It's timely with Avengers about to drop.