• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played it on the Pro, but what I'm seeing here with the One X version looks way better than anything I saw. I wonder if there is a difference between the two besides the possible resolution differential!

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason it felt like it was dropping to the high teens for me on the X. I guess it's just been so long since I've played a console game that drops to and below 25fps at times. It makes the controls feel as unresponsive as RDR2's (which is a disaster for the type of game Anthem is).

Good to see NXGamer get some love on here. He puts in so much effort for so little views. It sucks.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Image quality on the One X was underwhelming, and so was the frame rate. As much as I love the game there's still lots of optimization to be had.

Deleted member 4072

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does NXGamer post on here? If so try pushing the res down to 1080p and supersampling off it you are testing it on the Pro. Runs at an unlocked framerate then.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Does NXGamer post on here? If so try pushing the res down to 1080p and supersampling off it you are testing it on the Pro. Runs at an unlocked framerate then.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure why the Pro version felt like it had double the framerate than on my X. I wish you could turn off supersampling on the X as a toggle.

Deleted member 4072

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty sure why the Pro version felt like it had double the framerate than on my X. I wish you could turn off supersampling on the X as a toggle.
Yeah that's why. If you turn supersampling on it runs at sub 30fps but with it off it can hit near 60 in areas where there isn't much going on and around 45 i'd say in combat.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Great video as always. Interesting results, will look forward to the comparisons against PS4, Pro and PC when the full game is out and if things improve compared to this and the public demo.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason it felt like it was dropping to the high teens for me on the X. I guess it's just been so long since I've played a console game that drops to and below 25fps at times. It makes the controls feel as unresponsive as RDR2's (which is a disaster for the type of game Anthem is).

Good to see NXGamer get some love on here. He puts in so much effort for so little views. It sucks.

my experience as well

hopefully the performance is improved across the board, because it's almost unplayable right now

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my experience as well

hopefully the performance is improved across the board, because it's almost unplayable right now

I just decided to get it on PC considering it's out a week earlier than on console and it's part of the ÂŁ10 per month EA service. It literally feels like a different game even at the ~45fps I was getting on my 970. The combat is phenomenal.

Feb 10, 2018
Framerate is terrible and it looks kinda black crushy.

I wonder if this is a next gen game, but with a crippled current gen version.

Oct 28, 2017
I would have thought the X version would be a lock for at least a stable frame rate. This is disappointing if it holds to this form.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It doesn't run great on PC either, unless you have the hardware to bruteforce it. It doesn't look anywhere near good enough to justify the poor performance.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WOW that is terrible performance. Holy shit. I'm almost in awe that BioWare/EA think this is acceptable.

No fucking way am I rewarding that with my money.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Calm down.

I've played a few hours on the X and it was fine.

No....it's not. Did you watch the same video as I did? I don't know what barometer you use for fine but consistently going into the low 20's for a shooter isn't fine.

A rock solid 30 fps is fine. It's not 60, but 30 fps is 'fine'.

A highly fluctuating framerate with terrible frame time going from low 20's to 30 back and forth while enemies are present is not fine.

They should give the premium consoles an option of 1080p at 30 fps lock. Instead of chasing high resolutions at the cost of a stable 30 fps.

Unfortunately they really can't go any lower for the base Xbox One.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The pop in is so bad. Look at 3:33 as you walk in the water you can see the lily pads literally spawn a foot off. That's way too noticeable.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
No....it's not. Did you watch the same video as I did? I don't know what barometer you use for fine but consistently going into the low 20's for a shooter isn't fine.

A rock solid 30 fps is fine. It's not 60, but 30 fps is 'fine'.

A highly fluctuating framerate with terrible frame time going from low 20's to 30 back and forth while enemies are present is not fine.

They should give the premium consoles an option of 1080p at 30 fps lock. Instead of chasing high resolutions at the cost of a stable 30 fps.

Unfortunately they really can't go any lower for the base Xbox One.
Nah, it's not even tolerable.

Should probably note here.

I have my X hooked up to a 1080 plasma. Maybe the frame rate holds better when it's not trying to output at 4K.

Because it was perfectly fine for me.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
The star wars comment had me make a sad laugh.
It would be much more funny if it wasn't true.

Performance looks really bad though.
Has anybody measured input lag yet?

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

I have my X hooked up to a 1080 plasma. Maybe the frame rate holds better when it's not trying to output at 4K.

My X is hooked to a 1080p TV as well. I noticed a lot of drops in Fort Tarsis, and open world was a touch better.

It didn't run at a consistent frame-rate, I'm 100% certain.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
Mine was dipoing constantly on my One X outputting to a 4K TV. Hopefully they iron it out by launch.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad this Destiny-like couldn't have performance like Destiny.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Anthem is more demanding as a skill based shooter so dips are more noticeable.

I guess so, it's just that Anthem felt like it was consistently dropping frames, whereas FO76 drops in heavy combat scenarios (which are ultimately pretty rare in the game), and otherwise just hitches a bunch in some areas. Anthem is just flat out unpleasant to play in the VIP demo on XB1X, it's the first time in any game this gen where I don't think I could actually play it if the framerate remains the same.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

Also a 1080p plasma here and it runs poorly. It's so inconsistent it feels bad to play.
The X is always rendeeing the highest resolution possible unless you change an in game setting. You're just not as sensitive to poor frame rates as others.

Deleted member 36749

Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta
As someone who tried it on his X and Pro....I dont think either system ran it well, and I dont blame the systems...

This came off lazy, horribly executed altogether, and almost insulting.

I expect betas and alphas to be buggy, I been apart of them since like 98/99 when I was a kid lol...but this thing took me back to the matrix mmorpg beta test levels of terrible lol.

I cancelled my Anthem preorder and I wish Bioware the best. But I really dont see myself supporting them anymore.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with the rest of the people disappointed with it on X. Ran really bad and didn't look great. Should finish my PC soon and I'll damn sure hold it for it.

Wish they would have gave preference to performance over quality but to be honest, it felt like neither in the demo.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Hey NXGamer is my partner at Rectify Gaming! He does technical analysis to go alongside my editorial content and he deserves much more eyes.

We are planning on some joint Anthem coverage and the PC version specifically on a SSD is so much further ahead than the other versions.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm not trying to argue it was consistent.

I'm saying it was fine.

Some of the hyperbole in this thread would make you think the game was a slideshow or something.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the person. I thought the outdoor section was playable, but far from ideal.

Hope they patch in a performance mode with locked 30fps. I'll have to pass it otherwise.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I'm really hoping they have some optimization patch for release or that the final build in itself is more optimized. I do worry though because the Alpha in my experience was more optimized than the recent Demo.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The game felt pretty bad to play on the Xbox One X to me. Controls didn't seem very smooth either. That's a big deal in my book.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Me, entering this thread: "Oh, who's NXGamer? That's a cool name. Like the Nintendo NX?"
Click video -> Channel -> Playlists -> Liked videos (Newest to oldest)
NTy9jCL.png

I swear I don't go looking for this shit. This is just what every third video game YouTuber is like now. Sorry to bear the bad news :/

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
Me, entering this thread: "Oh, who's NXGamer? That's a cool name. Like the Nintendo NX?"
Click video -> Channel -> Playlists -> Liked videos

I swear I don't go looking for this shit. This is just what every third video game YouTuber is like now. Sorry to bear the bad news :/
oh no :( well there goes that