• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
3080 it is. Just don't know yet if I'll go EVGA or MSI. Was sticking to MSI so far, had the 980, 980ti and now a 1080ti from them, and am very satisfied. But I guess I'll wait for the reviews and see which one has the better cooling and stable clocks.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
RTX3090 $1,499. This is why I have no interest in building a top of the line PC. The RTX3090 cost more than my entire computer that I am currently using.
Bentley Phantom $457,000. This is why I have no interest in driving. Phantom costs more than my entire house and this is why I will only take Metro, Bike or Walk!

Seriously, what the heck is this even about? You can get even crazier if you go and look into Nvidia's workstation cards. 3090 is the Titan equivalent in new gen. 3080 is the top gaming card and it's still $700. Heck, 3070 is $500 and it's still a top (or near enough to the top) gaming card.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at evga dg-7, solid side panel. It is glass but I rather like it. Very easy to build, not huge for ATX, and good cable MGMT.

still tempered, but I think this is maybe the best reviewed case of 2020.

www.newegg.com

LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C PERFORMANCE BLACK Tempered Glass ATX Case -Black Color ,Type C Included-LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C PERFORMANCE -X - Newegg.com

Buy LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C PERFORMANCE BLACK Tempered Glass ATX Case -Black Color ,Type C Included-LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C PERFORMANCE -X with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Thanks, I'll look at both. Last case I bought was back in 2013 and it was a Fractal. I guess they're not the big name in cases anymore?

Oct 25, 2017
So I am pretty computer illiterate, but I recently decided to invest in a gaming PC.

It came with a RTX 2060. In comparison how outdated is that card and do I need to upgrade?

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
Ballout with the 3080 and 1440p 144hz. The 3080 will ensure you'll keep hitting that high frame rate with maxed out settings for a good long while. You could also get an LG OLED TV for when you really want 4k.

Well, I already have 4k for my consoles - a Samsung 40 inch and a Sony x900E 55 inch :D But, I agree with you and inner-G - just ball out on 1440p with max settings. 2021 will be a huge upgrade for me, my computer is 5 years old now, save for the 1070. Also, buying in Q1 should allow me to avoid stock problems.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see if you can actually get these cards for the prices Nvidia is stating. I have never been able to get a card at the "standard" prices Nvidia puts out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Let's see if you can actually get these cards for the prices Nvidia is stating. I have never been able to get a card at the "standard" prices Nvidia puts out there.
I've never seen sites like Amazon or Newegg sell Nvidia's cards for anything other than MSRP (unless shady forced bundles).

3rd party cards are gonna be a different story.

Whoever can't get a FE, which will be like 99% of everyone. I want a Strix, but I'll settle for anything if it's all that's available.
future Palit Gamerock owners unite!

tenor.gif

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people say that the quality of the PSU matters as much as the wattage. What are the consequences if you used paired a 3080 with a 750-watt PSU that wasn't top-of-the-line quality? Would it hinder performance, or are we talking about actual physical damage to the GPU if the PSU is sub-par?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Ok so I did the math and the 3090 will offer about 18 to 19% better framerate in games at the same clock. Not quite 20% though people will round up to 20% (like I'm about to do)

This means that if the next-gen game you're playing runs at 50 FPS on a 3080, it will run at 60 FPS on a 3090.

This means that you're paying for 10 extra frames per second on demanding games (which is where a good GPU matters most).

The cost for additional frame is $100 per frame.

That's the number. $100 per frame. How much are frames worth to you?

I suppose I can justify $100 per frame.

How much would ya'll pay per extra frame if the alternative was to play at 50 FPS? (assume there are no graphic settings available because of dev laziness)

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
So, I was going to go 3080, but then I looked at the price for 4k monitors - I really like 144 refresh rates, but the cheapest I can find is around $700 or so, which is more than I want to spend on a monitor. That being said, if I'm just going to get a really good 1440p monitor, does it make more sense just to get the 3070, or should I just ball out on 1440p with the 3080?

I have a 1440p monitor and I personally am planning on balling out with the 3080. I think 1440p is still the best price/performance sweet spot on PC and honestly I don't find the image quality increase from 1440p >>> 4K to be that big of a difference.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Ok so I did the math and the 3090 will offer about 18 to 19% better framerate in games at the same clock. Not quite 20% though people will round up to 20% (like I'm about to do)

This means that if the next-gen game you're playing runs at 50 FPS on a 3080, it will run at 60 FPS on a 3090.

This means that you're paying for 10 extra frames per second on demanding games (which is where a good GPU matters most).

How much would ya'll pay per extra frame if you're gaming at 50 FPS?

ill turn a couple of settings down a notch and get free frames

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California

I can't; honestly, the 3080 seems like the best performance vs. value that we've seen in a while, at least from my perspective.

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to depend on your own satisfaction.

People have only manufacturer info and limited authorized performance testing to go on so far.

I guess I should know how significant is the jump?

I am not entirely sure how many things I am going to play on the PC. I mostly did it because I realized MS games would all be playable on PC now, and the laptop I was using for a while now was getting old and outdated.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people say that the quality of the PSU matters as much as the wattage. What are the consequences if you used paired a 3080 with a 750-watt PSU that wasn't top-of-the-line quality? Would it hinder performance, or are we talking about actual physical damage to the GPU if the PSU is sub-par?
The latter bolded is what most people reference. But not just the GPU, your PC and home in general since a shoddy PSU can start a fire.

In all likelihood, you'll probably encounter your PC not booting or randomly cutting off because the power delivery sucks than something outright damaging your parts or home.

Unless you get a really, really, really shitty PSU.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, everything is relative.

$10,000 for a car is cheap.

$50,000 for a Cessna is cheap.

$2,000,000 for a yacht is cheap.
My dad just sold his Cessna for $50k, and I'm likely giving him my 1080ti-based system to run Flight Simulator. He saw two videos of it, and was like "how hard would it be for me to get a PC that could run that?" Too funny.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Obstructing airflow for the sake of RGB....
Pretty sure that card would be better without all that light gray part on the front

p03763_propng_8825f3f8a5ee189f.png

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I wonder if it is a good idea now to buy a discount (surely they will offer good prices on "last" gen GPUs) high end gaming PC and plug in a new RTX when they become available?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
My dad just sold his Cessna for $50k, and I'm likely giving him my 1080ti-based system to run Flight Simulator. He saw two videos of it, and was like "how hard would it be for me to get a PC that could run that?" Too funny.
🤣

How much would ya'll pay per extra frame if the alternative was to play at 50 FPS? (assume there are no graphic settings available because of dev laziness)
lol.

pictured: us potential 3090 owners, as we attempt to justify a ridiculous purchase:

img_Suli-Chinese-Contortionist-main.jpg

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
The latter bolded is what most people reference. But not just the GPU, your PC and home in general since a shoddy PSU can start a fire.

In all likelihood, you'll probably encounter your PC not booting or randomly cutting off because the power delivery sucks than something outright damaging your parts or home.

Unless you get a really, really, really shitty PSU.

Thanks. I'm in a meeting now, but I'll check the PSU when I get a chance. My guess is that it's neither amazing nor terrible, but somewhere in the middle.

Oct 27, 2017
If you bought a 2080Ti and are already willing to sell it for 1/3rd of what you paid to buy a 3080, lets be honest here, you will be preordering a 4080 well before 10GB is an issue. The VRAM is only an issue for people who intend to keep the 3080 until the 5000 series.

In fairness, it would be half the price I paid, but otherwise, you got me there!

Anyway, I will still wait for benchmarks to make a decision.

Yeah, this is the best course I think. It would be interesting to see the 3080 and 3090's advantage over the 2800ti in real-world scenarios.

Oct 25, 2017

I would rather set my resolution scale to 80-90%.

When Hopper comes out, a 4080 will be beyond 3090 speeds at 1/2 the price. Sure, the VRAM difference will be there, but it'll only matter for gaming if you plan on using the DLSS 8k ultra performance mode in supported games.

Jan 4, 2018
Never built a full PC before but looks like I'm gonna need to upgrade pretty much everything to support the new cards so I'm gonna give it a shot

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
In fairness, it would be half the price I paid, but otherwise, you got me there!

Yeah, this is the best course I think. It would be interesting to see the 3080 and 3090's advantage over the 2800ti in real-world scenarios.

ideally we'll see reviews before release. Don't know how likely that is though. I guess we'd hear soon enough if people start getting cards for review
If not I'm tempted to blind buy and utilise the 14 day return period if necessary if my card turns out to be a dog for some reason

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Basically you just want to make sure whatevs the wattage rating is on one 12v rail. Cheap ass PSU mfgs will do 750w but it's split between 2 rails. That's not good. Basically anything bronze or above will not do that, and the bronze/gold/platinum ratings are just efficiency ratings. So still important but you pay more.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should know how significant is the jump?

I am not entirely sure how many things I am going to play on the PC. I mostly did it because I realized MS games would all be playable on PC now, and the laptop I was using for a while now was getting old and outdated.

Unless you are in a position to refuse the shipment or return the PC then my recommendation would be to simply enjoy it. If you find the performance lacking then worry about that later.

So much depends on how you use it. Depending on the games/resolution/refresh rate you are using, you might be able to max out (or nearly) using the card you already own.

I'm looking for a new card b/c I want to use ray tracing at 3440x1440 and 4K resolutions. In fact these might be the first no-compromise 4K cards (at least without RTX).

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the main draw of a AIB over a FE is the cooling and higher clocks?

Never really bought one before (was all EVGA past 3 cards), just curious

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you are in a position to refuse the shipment or return the PC then my recommendation would be to simply enjoy it. If you find the performance lacking then worry about that later.

So much depends on how you use it. Depending on the games/resolution/refresh rate you are using, you might be able to max out (or nearly) using the card you already own.

I'm looking for a new card b/c I want to use ray tracing at 3440x1440 and 4K resolutions. In fact these might be the first no-compromise 4K cards (at least without RTX).

I am using the PC and I enjoy it, but yeah I think atm I am a casual PC user.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I can't; honestly, the 3080 seems like the best performance vs. value that we've seen in a while, at least from my perspective.

3080 cost is $12.50/month over 2 years. ($700 depreciating to $400 over 2 years)
3090 cost is $25/month over 2 years. ($1500 depreciating to $900 over 2 years)

Imagine, if you will, for the rest of your life picking which gaming plan you wanted, Platinum or Gold. Platinum gives you 19% increased performance over gold in all games for the rest of your life.

Is the $12.50/month extra worth it to you? I can say yes without any hesitation myself.

This assumes you don't break your card, sell it just before next-gen cards are announced, and know how to use eBay.

Sep 21, 2019
Di
Ah ok well I assumed you could have waited since you had a 2080 Ti.

It really depends if you think $700 is worth it for a 25% upgrade.

For games already doing 4k/60fps on your 2080 Ti - you're going to do 75fps now. Is that worth $700?

I feel like it makes more sense to get say a $1000 card and get 40-50% improvement but if you can't wait, then get the 3080 or just jump up to the 3090.
Looks like the ideal game for owners of a 4K 120/144 VRR display. Especially OLEDs, considering the dark theme of this game.

4k gaming at 90 to 120 fps will be nuts. I've waited so long for this.

The 3090 will be GLORIOUS

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Basically you just want to make sure whatevs the wattage rating is on one 12v rail. Cheap ass PSU mfgs will do 750w but it's split between 2 rails. That's not good. Basically anything bronze or above will not do that, and the bronze/gold/platinum ratings are just efficiency ratings. So still important but you pay more.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with multi-rail PSUs
There are very good and even high end units (BeQuiet Straight Power 11/ Dark Power Pro 11/ Bitfenix Whisper M / Enermax Revolution DF etc)

Just be mindful how you plug in stuff

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

Use the $800 you save to buy a monitor with VRR. Then you can stop caring so much about a 60 fps barrier.

Crow

Oct 25, 2017
3080 cost is $12.50/month over 2 years. ($700 depreciating to $400 over 2 years)

Imagine, if you will, for the rest of your life picking which gaming plan you wanted, Platinum or Gold. Platinum gives you 19% increased performance over gold in all games for the rest of your life.

Is the $12.50/month extra worth it to you? I can say yes without any hesitation myself.

This assumes you don't break your card, sell it just before next-gen cards are announced, and know how to use eBay.
lol just get that 3090 and enjoy it!

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
So I am pretty computer illiterate, but I recently decided to invest in a gaming PC.

It came with a RTX 2060. In comparison how outdated is that card and do I need to upgrade?
Just because the new cards are really powerful doesn't automatically make your card weak. PS5 GPU is basically comparable to a 2070 so a 2060 should still easily be able to play games at 1080/60 no problem for the next few years.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Use the $800 you save to buy a monitor with VRR. Then you can stop caring so much about a 60 fps barrier.

That's the thing! You're NOT* saving $800 . You might have missed my previous post while you were typing where I break it down:

Imagine, if you will, for the rest of your life, leasing a GPU for 2 years at a time.

Is the $12.50/month more for 19% extra performance worth it to you? I can say yes without any hesitation myself.

*Assuming you don't break your card, sell it just before next-gen cards are announced, don't die within the 2 years, and know how to use eBay.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Random, but I love the physical look of these cards. They just look sleek, sophisticated, high-end, and more mature than a lot of GPU designs we've seen in the past.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Oh man, that PSU requirement. I'm still on my (almost) 10 year old computer with a 2500K and a 520W PSU. The 3080 is going to be the thing that finally gets me to update everything, just curious if my PSU will be able to handle it while I wait for the parts to arrive.