• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I will probably get a RTX 3080 next year anyway, so that would be nice if they would announce a 20 GB version middle of next year.
Well, the biggest and obvious (after 3090 launch now) issue here is that 20GB card won't provide any notable performance difference with 10GB one. There could be some edge cases like Doom Eternal in 4K and such but on average there won't be many benefits even next year I think.

Are the problems with the RTX 3080 widespread? The crashing to desktop and everything?
Impossible for anyone to tell, too small of a data set for now and no vendor has said that they've reproduced the issue so far either.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Well, the biggest and obvious (after 3090 launch now) issue here is that 20GB card won't provide any notable performance difference with 10GB one. There could be some edge cases like Doom Eternal in 4K and such but on average there won't be many benefits even next year I think.

Impossible for anyone to tell, too small of a data set for now and no vendor has said that they've reproduced the issue so far either.

I see, so the 10 vs 20 GB would be not such a huge leap at all.
I hope there will be comparisions with the 10 GB and 20 GB model.

Okay, lets see if this is the same like the 2080ti, were only few reports of problems were occuring.

Sep 21, 2019
The 3080 is 30% faster than the 2080 Ti at best case scenario (4K). The 3090 is only 10% faster than the 3080 according to leaks and Nvidia themselves, so you'll be falling short of 50%.

The Asus Strix 3090 is 20 percent faster than the 3080. Wait for it to become available. That's the 3090 that's worth it.

Though we don't know how fast the 3080 Strix is yet, so the difference between the 3080 and 3090 could be negligible.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Honestly, the only reason why I'd consider a 3090 over a 3080 is b/c a 20GB 3080 wouldn't add anything other than more memory, there's so little room for improvement. It might be 2x the cost, but I'm gonna guess a 20GB 3080 will be $200 more for extra memory. I'd rather incur an added cost for a performance bump + memory than just memory.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I hope there will be comparisions with the 10 GB and 20 GB model.
There were comparisons of a 10GB and a 24GB cards yesterday, with the latter having a faster GPU too.
It will be less than that between 10 and 20 GB versions of 3080 with the latter likely costing some +$100 or even +$200 to the former.
It will be a good option for those who plan on sitting on this card till 2025 or so I'd say.
Anyone who's planning on upgrading once the next GPU family will launch (not a refresh) are unlikely to ever get any benefit from 20 GB VRAM size.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
There were comparisons of a 10GB and a 24GB cards yesterday, with the latter having a faster GPU too.
It will be less than that between 10 and 20 GB versions of 3080 with the latter likely costing some +$100 or even +$200 to the former.
It will be a good option for those who plan on sitting on this card till 2025 or so I'd say.
Anyone who's planning on upgrading once the next GPU family will launch (not a refresh) are unlikely to ever get any benefit from 20 GB VRAM size.
I understand, so it is more for people who like to have their GPU for longer.
The prices for the 20 GB versions will be in the € 900 or € 1000 probably.
Thanks for the information, that is really great to know :)
By the way you bought a 3080 or 3090?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
By the way you bought a 3080 or 3090?
I haven't bought either.
But I'll most likely get a 3080 once they will be freely available at close to MSRP prices.
I see no point in waiting for a 20GB model as a) the reasons above and b) if I'll feel the urge I'll just sell off 10GB one and get a 20GB one instead down the line.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I haven't bought either.
But I'll most likely get a 3080 once they will be freely available at close to MSRP prices.
I see no point in waiting for a 20GB model as a) the reasons above and b) if I'll feel the urge I'll just sell off 10GB one and get a 20GB one instead down the line.
I am also waiting for the prices to go down and be closer to MSRP.
As you already explained there would be no concrete reason waiting for the 20 GB version in this case.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot-2020-09-25-173350.png

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Still nothing in the EU, i'm gonna stop look until a week before Shadowlands drop.. Wanted a shiny new GPU for the new wow expansion but oh well. My 2070 will have to do in case I can't get any new stock

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
www.techpowerup.com

RTX 3080 Crash to Desktop Problems Likely Connected to AIB-Designed Capacitor Choice

Igor's Lab has posted an interesting investigative article where he advances a possible reason for the recent crash to desktop problems for RTX 3080 owners. For one, Igor mentions how the launch timings were much tighter than usual, with NVIDIA AIB partners having much less time than would be...
I've had a feeling this might be the case for a couple days now, a few users reporting crashing in Control and RDR2 that a small downclock (-50MHz) or UV fixes.

I've seen it happen to MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte (no ASUS so far though, but then again their low end board was the most robust next to the FE).

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not to get too off-topic, but DLSS ultra-performance is nice. Even on a 2070S, you can now do 4K w/ 720p internal render & RTX High, and get a near-solid 60fps with obviously much-better-than-native 720p IQ. It's softer, but hey, frames. LOL I was only getting around 45fps at 1080p internal with the same settings. Had to dial RTX to low or off to hit 60. I'm also on an older 4790K though, and this is running on a 60Hz TV; haven't messed with my 1440p144. Curious to try this with Death Stranding, which already ran really well.

SmowKPG.jpg

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've had a feeling this might be the case for a couple days now, a few users reporting crashing in Control and RDR2 that a small downclock (-50MHz) or UV fixes.

I've seen it happen to MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte (no ASUS so far though, but then again their low end board was the most robust next to the FE).

I've been n playing control for hours with no downclock on a msi trio x, I must be lucky. Saying that, I am quite annoyed that I paid a premium price for this card to only find out it has cheaper capacitors than Asus tuf card. Props to Asus and a little disappointing from MSI. The 20 series trio x was bulletproof and an incredible card.

I mean, I'm happy I have a 3080 that seems to work so I shouldn't complain, but still... Lol

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I honestly cant care less if I cant find a 3090 by the time cyberpunk will be release I will buy it from those scumbags from ebay. Its so stupid that in 2020 you have the money but cant buy what you want because Nvidia is such a mess.

Sep 21, 2019
Anyone with a C9 and a 3080 getting noise on their screens, especially in the upper right area regardless of 60hz or 120 hz? It isn't constant but especially happens when HDR is on and then turned off or when alt-tabbing out of a game an back into it.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If it actually is even a relatively common problem, the other alternative is simply change the advertised clocks and update the firmwares. (if that's indeed the solution as well)

It's hard for me to imagine if it's a real problem them selling a product with a very common problem for 2+ years. How long did the 360 RROD go on?

Putting out a firmware update to change the clocks is Free.

Recalling potentially thousands of cards and replacing them isn't.

I have a feeling that the free approach is much more likely to happen.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
EVGA comments...

3080 Caps

Hi all,

Recently there has been some discussion about the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 series.

During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch. There were no 6 POSCAP production EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 boards shipped.

But, due to the time crunch, some of the reviewers were sent a pre-production version with 6 POSCAP's, we are working with those reviewers directly to replace their boards with production versions.
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 series with 5 POSCAPs + 10 MLCC solution is matched with the XC3 spec without issues.

Also note that we have updated the product pictures at EVGA.com to reflect the production components that shipped to gamers and enthusiasts since day 1 of product launch.
Once you receive the card you can compare for yourself, EVGA stands behind its products!

Thanks
EVGA

Aug 30, 2020
EVGA comments...

3080 Caps

Hi all,

During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch. There were no 6 POSCAP production EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 boards shipped.

But, due to the time crunch, some of the reviewers were sent a pre-production version with 6 POSCAP's, we are working with those reviewers directly to replace their boards with production versions.
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 series with 5 POSCAPs + 10 MLCC solution is matched with the XC3 spec without issues.

Also note that we have updated the product pictures at EVGA.com to reflect the production components that shipped to gamers and enthusiasts since day 1 of product launch.
Once you receive the card you can compare for yourself, EVGA stands behind its products!

Thanks
EVGA

Well that was quick.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
I noticed on the official MSI website they took the pic of the backplate angle off the gallery for the Ventus.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
EVGA comments...

3080 Caps

Hi all,

Thanks
EVGA
So, does this confirm the cap issue.