• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Ok I installed may 2004 update, and tested Control. No noticeable difference in fps. I have gpu scheduling on as well.
Did you restart after changing GPU Schedule to on?

The Boost seems to come from scheduling not the driver itself.
The video I watched compared previous and this new driver without GPU Scheduling and the gain was only 1-2 FPS.
Then again its about the frametimes more than higher framerate.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It is? Guess I'm turning it off then. If it's giving absolutely every to FF14, a directx 11 game then erm, that seems a little wasteful lol.

Wonder if I capped my frame rate on my gaming monitor to 120hz, it would save something for a video running on my second monitor. I'll have to have a tinker and see, if not it's being turned off for casual games.

Well as far as I know this isn't something you can turn off, it's something baked into the new Windows 10 WDDM 2.7 Driver Model to always prefer the monitor with the highest refreshrate and it isn't related to the new HAGS setting at all. But yeah capping at 120hz might help somewhat.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
For those seeing improvements with HAGS - are you definitely sure it isn't placebo? Or are you confident that there's been a definite difference?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that Turin/20xx cards are the ones that will benefit from this. If this already improves performance across the board on Turing then it will be pretty exciting when games directly take advantage of these new features.
From what? So far HAGS seem to be useful only in situations where VRAM is low. The rest of the features aren't going to improve anything in currently available games.

Someone posted that this driver boosts RDR 2 performance on pascal GPUS by over 10%.
There are gains in RDR2 on R450 drivers across all supported GPUs but in Vulkan render only. YMMV.

For those seeing improvements with HAGS - are you definitely sure it isn't placebo?
All I've noticed after enabling HAGS so far are bugs (SOTTR doesn't launch in DX12 with Steam overlay now) and heavy stuttering in a number of DX11 games. Can't say that I see any improvements anywhere so far.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Yesssssss, Windows finally found an update! HAGS is within my gras-

image.png

...oh good šŸ„“

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Control is now butter smooth for me in dx12. I used to get transition stutters between areas, not any more.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
From what? So far HAGS seem to be useful only in situations where VRAM is low. The rest of the features aren't going to improve anything in currently available games.

I have 8GB Vram so if it still improves my frametimes I'm all for it.
To me smooth frametimes is more important than framerate improvement at this point.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still using a Titanium HD sound card. Any Windows update scares me.
You mad lad, running a sound card in 2020 is like waiting for your dot matrix printer to break down.

I used to want a sound card, but then I got a DAC that runs off of USB & I just run from that to whatever output I require.

What are your specs?

Would be nice to know the specs of you people. Curious if it effects lower end rigs more than high end ones. Speaking of available VRAM especially.
On a 2070 I've seen more consistent frametimes in most titles I've played, and higher 1% lowest framerates.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
You mad lad, running a sound card in 2020 is like waiting for your dot matrix printer to break down.

I used to want a sound card, but then I got a DAC that runs off of USB & I just run from that to whatever output I require.

On a 2070 I've seen more consistent frametimes in most titles I've played, and higher 1% lowest framerates.
It sounds so damn good though :D

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Did you restart after changing GPU Schedule to on?

The Boost seems to come from scheduling not the driver itself.
The video I watched compared previous and this new driver without GPU Scheduling and the gain was only 1-2 FPS.
Then again its about the frametimes more than higher framerate.
Yeah, I restarted. Maybe it upped it a frame or two like you listed, but I couldn't notice from monitoring before and after.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling is working great for me but I'm capped at 60fps no matter what game I play because of my 60hz monitor. ;)

9900K/2080 8GB/32GB at 1920x1200.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The highest I've seen so far is AC:Odyssey with +5% (78 to 82 fps average). Most games are in the 1-2% range though, which could be something or nothing.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
HDR screenshots and video recording when
Doesn't the Windows 10 Game Bar already support this?
I'm not sure about HDR video recording though.

I'm still using a Titanium HD sound card. Any Windows update scares me.
People were reporting issues with the latest driver from the Creative website, but my Titanium HD works just fine with the driver delivered via Windows Update.
It's the full driver package too - including the proper Creative Audio Control Panel.

The Titanium HD is the last card which works in Windows 10 and still has hardware EAX support on-board.
Since I still play a lot of older games, and I think its CMSS virtual surround is one of the best, it's still worth keeping around.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
People were reporting issues with the latest driver from the Creative website, but my Titanium HD works just fine with the driver delivered via Windows Update.
It's the full driver package too - including the proper Creative Audio Control Panel.

The Titanium HD is the last card which works in Windows 10 and still has hardware EAX support on-board.
Since I still play a lot of older games, and I think its CMSS virtual surround is one of the best, it's still worth keeping around.
Yeah the ACP is legit, and I love the card. Every time I upgrade I try out the onboard, and nope straight back to the HD :)

I will try the update when it hits for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I could force the Windows 10 May 2020 Update but when I try to it just hangs at 99% which has been an issue for some users and Windows Update forever now. I've never had the issue before with Windows 10 updates so I hope it's something else concerning the update itself. Gonna try removing all USB devices sans for M/KB and see if that gets it through meaning there is a driver conflict somewhere.

Other than that hopefully it eventually works itself out considering it says "The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is in it's way. Once it's ready for your device, you'll see the update available on this page." It said something similar for the longest time but the message was updated recently to this one.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Just updated. For some reason it couldn't detect my monitor for 144hz until after I rebooted. No issues thankfully

I'm using an Asus ROG Strix 1660 Super

Never got the May update either. Win10 won't let me.

Wiggle

Nov 25, 2019
Two questions:
1) Is there any reason not to enable HAGS? Seems like a good thing, why is it not on by default in supported systems?
2) Does this help with CPU limited games (like emulators) or just cases of low vram?

Azai

Jun 10, 2020

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
You're supposed to use DCH drivers on Windows 10. That's the modern driver package.
I always have issues with the DCH drivers bugging out for me and just plain not working sometimes. I also don't like that it requires me to install the Nvidia control panel from the windows store, since sometimes k have to install the drivers offline (I work as a system builder, so I install it almost 5 times a week at least).

Doesn't help that WU likes to just give you the wrong version of the driver sometimes.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
IMO force the 2004 download, I did!

Yeah, I used the Update Assistant and it works smoothly.

If it isn't showing any compatibility errors you should be fine.

Thanks both! I've done just that via Update Assistant

I am now enjoying smooth 144hz webpage scrolling, even with a youtube video playing on the 60hz TV :D

Also, keep up the marvellous work at Digital Foundry Dictator !

Eheh šŸ˜…

Last edited:

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
"Making frametimes better" would lead to higher min fps which isn't the case there really.

For me making frametimes "smoother" would mean that the frametimes stop fluctating. Meaning that you have more of a straight line on the frametime graph on Afterburner. This doesnt necessarily make the min frames better. The game just "jitters" less.
Thats what most people here probably mean by "smoother.

Eg I had a lot of jitter in Metro Exodus under DX12. Under DX11 I had worse frames but butter smooth frametimes making the jitter dissapear.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
For me making frametimes "smoother" would mean that the frametimes stop fluctating. Meaning that you have more of a straight line on the frametime graph on Afterburner. This doesnt necessarily make the min frames better. The game just "jitters" less.
Thats what most people here probably mean by "smoother.

Eg I had a lot of jitter in Metro Exodus under DX12. Under DX11 I had worse frames but butter smooth frametimes making the jitter dissapear.
Eh, I've never had any issues with that as I usually cap the framerate with RTSS anyway.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone getting occassional black screens after installing this? Seems like my monitor is going to sleep even when I'm watching a streaming video on Twitch.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I reverted back to previous driver. Hoping that fixed the weird black screen issue. Man, just when I got my new rig all stable and this new driver fucks it up again.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I reverted back to previous driver. Hoping that fixed the weird black screen issue. Man, just when I got my new rig all stable and this new driver fucks it up again.
Have you checked the power options in W10 settings? Maybe it turned on the sleep option for the Monitor.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
These tests of HAGS that don't show frametime graphs are wasting our time. My frametimes have become a lot smoother without needing to cap to a framerate it will never dip below.

Edit: To be specific, I'm using a 2080 TI, and a 6700k. Could be that my particular combination often led to cpu bottlenecks, and now I'm seeing it alleviated.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
These tests of HAGS that don't show frametime graphs are wasting our time. My frametimes have become a lot smoother without needing to cap to a framerate it will never dip below.

Edit: To be specific, I'm using a 2080 TI, and a 6700k. Could be that my particular combination often led to cpu bottlenecks, and now I'm seeing it alleviated.

i5 8600k + GTX 1070 here and I see the same positive effects even with my 140fps cap.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
The gpu scheduling added more latency to Siege for me. That was enough for me to turn it off.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020

Thats what Im saying.
In general the frametime graphs should be included in benchmarks. I see it so often, that people make benchmark videos without it. You cant really see if there is any stutter or how smooth it actually is.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Got scheduling enabled, wonder if I'll see a difference with a 2080 and 3700x