Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the 3080 is still the sweet spot right now (assuming you can find it and find it without an insane markup…). I'd be more interested if there was more vram, but I guess that's what the 3090 is for.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I guess I will just sit out till 2023 or something. I find the 3080 Ti price ridiculous, 3070 Ti doesn't have enough VRAM, and 3080 is still impossible to get.

I also got to think this situation is affecting PC gaming industry in general as it's much more expensive for newcomers or folks out of "the scene". Plus for people looking at $300ish range of cards (ie most people) and that doesn't exist.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think scalper prices are relevant for the discussions- they will fade.

If you use scalper prices as reference point then everytihng will seem great value, yes.
I said even before scalper prices in my post. But by all means, everyone go "team red". Maybe then it will be easier to buy 3080 Ti's and AMD can possibly provide better GPU's next series of cards. I think Nvidia could have provided a little more VRAM at this price point but people making it seem like the 3090 is a better value seems wild to me. At least in a gaming only scenario. Imo, it was completely expected for the Ti to be at this price factoring in tariffs.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I said even before scalper prices in my post. But by all means, everyone go "team red". Maybe then it will be easier to buy 3080 Ti's and AMD can possibly provide better GPU's next series of cards. I think Nvidia could have provided a little more VRAM at this price point. But imo, it was completely expected for the Ti to be at this price.
AMD cards are ridiculously expensive (as bad or worse vs NVIDIA) whenever I see them in Newegg shuffle and seem to have even worse availability. It's a shit show either way.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yea I'm chillin with my 3090 Strix.

Approximately zero chance I get into anything resembling what the end of last year was like. I was losing sleep trying to get cards for people. You couldn't pay me enough. No fuckin shot. Sorry to those still in the trenches. Best of luck to you.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me wants to sell my 2070S for the ridiculous prices they're going for and just game on consoles until I can get my hand on one of these cards/40xx series next year

Oct 28, 2017
That's a lot of bones for the 3080 Ti, what a joke.

Still incredibly happy I was able to snag my 3080 when I did.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
has anyone written about how this affects the PC market? I hope it doesn't mean that it'll be contracting and publishers and devs will be less likely to make PC versions of their games because of a declining market due to this crypto bullshit and chip shortage.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
Oh nice that 3070ti is nicely priced too bad you won't be able to get one for anything near that price. (And the founder edition aren't sold in my country)

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
i hope to dear god the crypto fad crashes so that gpus will flood the market (again).

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
For real.
In hindsight, managing to get a 3080 Strix for $849 was a fuckin' steal. Never imagined it would be so bad as to warrant seeing the $1199 price point again. Alas, the market showing manufacturers the prices people are willing to pay could only lead to this outcome.

Also taking notice that the $200-300 product bracket seems to have been completely abandoned this cycle.

Same here got it after launch for same price. Crazy how things have changed since Oct.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I would've thought about upgrading from my 3080 if the TI was 999 with 12 GB VRAM but at 1199 you might as well cough up the rest for a 3090.

At least in this hypothetical world where you can buy GPUs at MSRP. The cheapest 3080 I can find right now sits around 1900€, lmao.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda nuts to me that they are shipping out Ti models when the base ones aren't available or mature driver wise.

There are still some real oddities with the 30 series drivers that need to be ironed out and the pace they are going it could be another year.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
It's crazy that GPU's are now MSRP of what used to be a cost of a whole high end build 10 years ago, shit just keeps climbing lol I remember the outrage when the 8800 GTX was like $599.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
has anyone written about how this affects the PC market? I hope it doesn't mean that it'll be contracting and publishers and devs will be less likely to make PC versions of their games because of a declining market due to this crypto bullshit and chip shortage.
Everyone is being squeezed by chip shortages. Right now there is unprecedented demand for video cards and consoles. So much that everyone is having a hard time finding one. If anything, I would say there has never been a better time to make or publish games given how healthy the PC and console ecosystem is right now.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy that GPU's are now MSRP of what used to be a cost of a whole high end build 10 years ago, shit just keeps climbing lol I remember the outrage when the 8800 GTX was like $599.
There has been a shift in high end PC gaming just this past 5 years. It's no longer a smaller niche. It's mainstream now and when things becomes more mainstream it draw more people with much deeper pockets. It's why scalping on ebay is so successful. People are willing to pay even more then these MSRPs.

Oct 27, 2017
"General availability starts on June 3rd. For the EVGA.com store, EVGA Elite members will have 24hr exclusive access beginning June 3 at 6AM PDT to sign up for an EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti via the auto-notify queue. General availability to enter the auto-notify queue will begin at approximately June 4 at 6AM PDT for non-ELITE members at the EVGA.com store."

Oh yeah, I'm in there! Just got EVGA Elite status recently so hopefully my chances of getting a 3080 Ti this Summer are good!

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
3080 looks to be the crown jewel for this generation, especially if you got it at launch or through an at MSRP queue such as EVGA's.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
"General availability starts on June 3rd. For the EVGA.com store, EVGA Elite members will have 24hr exclusive access beginning June 3 at 6AM PDT to sign up for an EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti via the auto-notify queue. General availability to enter the auto-notify queue will begin at approximately June 4 at 6AM PDT for non-ELITE members at the EVGA.com store."

Oh yeah, I'm in there! Just got EVGA Elite status recently so hopefully my chances of getting a 3080 Ti this Summer are good!
how do I tell what status I am ?

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Part of me wants to sell my 2070S for the ridiculous prices they're going for and just game on consoles until I can get my hand on one of these cards/40xx series next year
taboo but may as well mine until you can get a 3xxx series or 40xx series to fund the purchase before it ends up Proof of stake

Saro

Oct 25, 2017

Was that sent in an email? I got elite status but no updates on my end from EVGA.

Edit:

Just saw the text on the forums.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I need a card since my current PC is giving me signs that it's about to peace out, but this whole process seems like a huge financial boondoggle. I've only picked up a CPU, Mobo, and SSD, and I'm already sitting at the price I paid for XSX/PS5. Now I need to track down one of these ridiculous GPUs, which apparently is significantly more difficult to find than anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't it come out that the only reason TSMC is behind is because they ordered low last year ? if so I would imagine they could easily ramp up again but the supply constraint is good for their pockets.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I am an EVGA elite member. Now to wait and see how worthless this is once the MSRP is jacked up.

PC is my favorite platform by far, but at this point i don't blame anyone who chooses to buy a 500 dollar console instead. Prices out of control on pc. Consoles are hard to find, but there are still more of them being produced, and MSRP still being used.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Any clue when the EVGA queue goes live? I'm in no hurry to get the actual card but I'd like to get in the queue as early as possible, to see if I can get picked in a few months.

I mean why wouldn't you either way lol.. 3080 is super new and top tier. That thing will only begin to feel left behind by the 5080s or something
June 3 for Elite members, June 4 for general public (those 24 hours probably will add 6-12 months to the wait lol)

Feb 27, 2019

Truth. I miss the days when the 3060s of the world retailed for $299. I honestly feel like I'm being priced out of PC gaming. (If you can even get the parts, haha!)

It's one of the reasons I've switched back to XSX as my primary platform for most games.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
This joke is aging really badly already, especially as "Ti" is a periodic table name for "titanium" which in fact is pronounced as "Tie" and not "tee eye".
But alas the joke's on Jensen I suppose.
oh trust me i'm very much aware I still loved my Geforce 4Ti which was beast at the time

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't mind me, I'm still just laughing at the price for the 3080 Ti. And that's before it doubles due to Covid.

Oct 25, 2017
Truth. I miss the days when the 3060s of the world retailed for $299. I honestly feel like I'm being priced out of PC gaming. (If you can even get the parts, haha!)

It's one of the reasons I've switched back to XSX as my primary platform for most games.
100%. My general budget for a gaming PC before was roughly $1000-1200. Even then I only did a new build every 3 years. I cannot justify building a PC anymore, and it the price of parts are the primary reason people are getting pushed out of the market or turning to either a console or prebuilt systems.

Cryptocurrency needs to die in a fire.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Will Nvidia create a new chip and new driver again to fix this?
To fix what? If they'll fuck up a second time and release another driver without hash rate limiter active then they deserve to burn for that really.
I think it's more likely that the limiter will be broken through some driver vulnerability this time though.
But from a technical perspective making a change in vBIOS ID and making an incremental increase in chips markings isn't a big change to perform and they may certainly repeat this again in such cases.