• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190209

Ethan Lindenberger is getting vaccinated for well, just about everything.

He's 18 years old, but had never received vaccines for diseases like hepatitis, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, or the chickenpox.

Lindenberger's mother, Jill Wheeler, is anti-vaccine. He said she has been influenced by online misinformation, such as a debunked study that claimed certain vaccines were linked with autism, or a theory that vaccines cause brain damage. Incorrect ideas like these have spread like wildfire, so much so that the CDC has explicitly tried to combat them, posting pages like "Vaccines Do Not Cause Autism."

Lindenberger's eldest sister is vaccinated, and his eldest brother is partially immunized, but once his mother found out that she had the right to opt-out of vaccinations, she chose not to vaccinate her younger five children.

"God knows how I'm still alive," Lindenberger wrote on Reddit last November.

It is amazing to read stories like this in 2019, but here we are.

You have to wonder how many other kids growing up in these families are just now starting to react as they begin to understand what their parents have (not) done.

This entire issue feels as if decisive government intervention is just around the corner.

Deny me vaccines if old.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Teen? THe dude is 18. He has the right to get vaccine without his parent . I thought this would be about someone in there actual teens

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Good for him. I mean literally good for him, and everyone around him.

Anti-vaxxers can get bent.

OP
OP
Digital Dinosaur
Oct 25, 2017
Rita Repulsa's Moon Palace
He may have just turned 18, but the greater point illustrated by the article is anti-vax families are about to run headfirst into reality. The first generation of kids from these parents is growing up and are not gonna be happy when they begin to educate themselves.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's an alarming amount of ignorance about vaccines. I think it just stems from people being afraid of the needle so they have to make up stuff to avoid it.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Can't believe morons like that actually gave birth to a normal child with at least minimum cognitive function which is all that is necessary to realize your parents are fucking ignorant fuckers and get vaccinated.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
He may have just turned 18, but the greater point illustrated by the article is anti-vax families are about to run headfirst into reality. The first generation of kids from these parents is growing up and are not gonna be happy when they begin to educate themselves.

IF they choose to educate themselves. Sadly, because of living in that world for so long, many are brainwashed and no matter what evidence they read up on, they will never change. It's a lot like being in a religion. How many people out of everyone raised in a religion actually leave it when they are adults? Sure some do, but there are still many many many more that continue to believe what they believe due to how ingrained it is in their minds

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Good man. Must be incredibly frustrating to have a delusional conspiracy theorist for a mother.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
You know i tried googling for an answer, but what are anti-vaccination parents excuse when they have have a child on the spectrum?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
There's an alarming amount of ignorance about vaccines. I think it just stems from people being afraid of the needle so they have to make up stuff to avoid it.

I'm phobic of needles. I don't get the flu shot for this reason. (I do get tetanus cause some one described it to me and the disease is scarier than my fear of shots). I have never even considered trying to justify it with any anti vacc logic. I actually feel a little guilty for not getting the flu shot but not enough to overcome my fear.

I don't think this is people afraid of shots trying to justify.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
IF they choose to educate themselves and survive. Sadly, because of living in that world for so long, many are brainwashed and no matter what evidence they read up on, they will never change. It's a lot like being in a religion. How many people out of everyone raised in a religion actually leave it when they are adults? Sure some do, but there are still many many many more that continue to believe what they believe due to how ingrained it is in their minds

Fixed and elucidated upon.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
You know i tried googling for an answer, but what are anti-vaccination parents excuse when they have have a child on the spectrum?
I assume they don't believe that vaccinations are the sole potential cause of, say, autism, but rather one of them. But maybe I'm giving them too much credit here.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
That's what word means you're getting riled up just cause he is of legal age and still happens to be in his teens.
Yeah, the headline is technically correct, but "Legal Adult Chooses to Get Vaccinated" gives off a very different impression, considering that for 71% of your teenage years, your parents are the ones with the legal authority to make those decisions.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone younger than 18 get themselves vaccinated without their parent's consent?

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Screw you mom & dad. I'ma get a mohawk, my tongue pierced, a tattoo and get vaccinated. I and don't care what you think.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
If under the age of 18, would a kid need to have parental permission to get vaccinated?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I think this is already a thing. I remember seeing a post somewhere saying that there was a subreddit on kids trying to get vaccinated.
The threshold is typically 16 for making your own medical choices if r/legaladvice is correct.

There have been a few posts in there lately of kids under 18 looking to get vaccinated.
Timing seems right. Around the time the whole vaccine autism thing started making the mainstream would've been about 18 years ago.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Great. This is education at work. You may have terrible parents, but you can be better than them.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Good on him : )
He should take the rest of his younger siblings out for "ice cream" and get them vaccinated too.
I know that's not a possibility, but it's frustrating that it's not. The parents of a child shouldn't be allowed to put them at undue risk like that.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how those anti-vax Facebook groups react when they hear stories like this or that story in a recent thread about measles vaccinations rising 500% in the county where that recent outbreak is happening.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
IF they choose to educate themselves. Sadly, because of living in that world for so long, many are brainwashed and no matter what evidence they read up on, they will never change. It's a lot like being in a religion. How many people out of everyone raised in a religion actually leave it when they are adults? Sure some do, but there are still many many many more that continue to believe what they believe due to how ingrained it is in their minds
If millennials can defy their boomer parents, then so can these kids.

Oct 26, 2017
You are out of the will.

We would send you a photo of all the items you're no longer getting after your father and I die, but as we both know, cameras are not allowed in this house because they steal the souls of those they photograph.

Now if you'll excuse me, my gout is acting up. I need to go slaughter a chicken and rub its neck stump on my knee before nightfall.

Love,
Mom