• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I said Switch was starting to see some shortages I wasnt saying expect it sold out everywhere. There is still lots of stock spread out

I just mean there are certainly locations where sell outs are beginning to take place

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got a feeling Super Smash bros will be over 3 million at least. Don't know why exactly but I'm gonna bet on that.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
I think Smash will go higher than even some of the more liberal expectations here if it's really driving HW this well.

Reporting period runs till Jan 5? That's pretty favorable I think - hardware gets another semi 4-day weekend next week to run up the sales further. With NSMB lurking right around the corner.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Man looking at these #s. Switch very well could do 20 million this fiscal year.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So 20 million WW for the fiscal year is looking more likely?

20m is probably still tough because I don't know if they're going to get as large of YoY raises in Japan and Europe, but maybe.

20m is just a tough number of hit especially with only one hardware model basically. The PS2 is the best selling system of all time and it topped 20m shipments once in its lifecycle, the Wii as red hot as it was managed to do it only twice, the PS4 has done it once.

Nintendo needs more than one model Switch if they want to sell 20 mill/year IMO.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
20m is probably still tough because I don't know if they're going to get as large of YoY raises in Japan and Europe, but maybe.

20m is just a tough number of hit especially with only one hardware model basically. The PS2 is the best selling system of all time and it topped 20m shipments once in its lifecycle, the Wii as red hot as it was managed to do it only twice, the PS4 has done it once.

Nintendo needs more than one model Switch if they want to sell 20 mill/year IMO.

It really depends on January sales as well. Going into BF/Let'sGo and Smash, Switch looked flat YoY which lead many to quesiton how 20m was possible, but with Smash launching so late in the year, and with some of the 'Switch had a bad year' think pieces already in the can by some sites, I can't help but think it will have an unusually strong January WW.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Man, friggin FAR CRY is that big??
- No console this generation (3DS, XBO, PS4,NSW) has ever sold more than 1.7 million units in December in US.
- The last console to sell more than 2 million units in US were DS and Wii back in December 2010.

Switch over 2 million would be definitely big.

EDIT:
Totally misread your post, sorry!

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
- No console this generation (3DS, XBO, PS4,NSW) has ever sold more than 1.7 million units in December in US.
- The last console to sell more than 2 million units in US were DS and Wii back in December 2010.

Switch over 2 million would be definitely big.
Yes, but is Far Cry that big?

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
The fact that even the XBox is outselling the PS4 is kinda telling me that PS4 blew its load in November and with no special deals for December, it fell flat on its face.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is probably fine if they are after revenue instead of unit sales.
That said, Switch is just insane if it was a close #2 in November and looks to blow the door on everyone in December, at $300 MSRP.

#1 hardware of 2018 looks like a lock?

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on January sales as well. Going into BF/Let'sGo and Smash, Switch looked flat YoY which lead many to quesiton how 20m was possible, but with Smash launching so late in the year, and with some of the 'Switch had a bad year' think pieces already in the can by some sites, I can't help but think it will have an unusually strong January WW.

The momentum from Smash (and Pokémon) should definitely carry over into January considering how late in the holiday season Smash released. That should be one factor in helping it achieve a higher Q4 as well. Of course we don't know the rest of the release schedule yet. Hopefully we get a Nintendo Direct the first full week of January.

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
While no one care about software sales, digital sales and profits.
If Nintendo was so insecure for this target, that is apparently the end of the world for them if it's not achieved with so much emphasis it's given, they would move at more drastic actions than a 1 day cheaper Mario Kart bundle for Black Friday.

Dec 2, 2017
Its so weird to think it was like 5 years ago when people were saying this current generation would be the last because of cell phones or something.

Lol. I wish I could travel back in time to 2013 with this thread for all the "mobile is the only future" and "Nintendo needs to go third party" people. Call of Duty had a couple of years where people said it was dying off too.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
Man Smash was just the perfect title for Nintendo this holiday season. 2 mil in December, Smash selling like crazy and they got a super Mario Bros in January.

That's some serious momentum going into fiscal year end.

Do Nintendo usually release PR after Xmas or we wait until NPD in January?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. I wish I could travel back in time to 2013 with this thread for all the "mobile is the only future" and "Nintendo needs to go third party" people. Call of Duty had a couple of years where people said it was dying off too.

A lot of people will only reference the last thing that happened, a recency bias, and this is further compounded by the person's 'agenda' (ie: dislike for brand) so yeah a lot of people were calling for Nintendo to go third party whenever the company has a bad year because what else are they going to say.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018

For Call of Duty I have only this left to say:

I still question myself how this game can sell so well, doing the absolute same thing over and over and over again with more and more predatory microtransactions while quality is getting lower and lower.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Man Smash was just the perfect title for Nintendo this holiday season. 2 mil in December, Smash selling like crazy and they got a super Mario Bros in January.

Last year NoA released PR with the 4.8M units sold for US early in January. I can see something similar this year.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I think they did PR last year early in January. I'd expect another one this year.

Or maybe one big one whenever Smash passes 10M sold through.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Super Saturday results

Switch >>>>>>>Xbox One>>>PS4
Switch is very likely to do 2+ million this month now

Biggest December for a piece of hardware this generation coming
All Nintendo 1st party evergreens are performing phenomenal

Smash is stratospheric

Oh boy. Maybe 4 million for Smash possible? Either way, I expect at a few records to be 'smashed" this month.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Do you noticeany particoular change in Splatoon 2's performance since the paywall was introduced in late September? It has been discussed for pages and pages in the Media Create threads in the last weeks.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

I'll probably end up being proven wrong. But I think it's unlikely we'll ever see a 2m+ December again.
Don't disagree with the second line though.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Above 2M is largely enough. The target is shipped units, not sell-through.

I know it's a shipment target, but 2m sold probably means ~2,3 shipped while 2,5 sold would mean ~2,8 shipped. I don't think the former result would be enough

Last year NoA released PR with the 4.8M units sold for US early in January. I can see something similar this year.

I'm sure that PR came around december 10th, not january

Dec 2, 2017
For Call of Duty I have only this left to say:

I still question myself how this game can sell so well, doing the absolute same thing over and over and over again with more and more predatory microtransactions while quality is getting lower and lower.

The answer is battle royale mode. The other answer is people are still playing football aftet 100 years, and the microtransactions for that suck too.