• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I think Octopath is a bit of an anamoly. You aren't gonna get JRPGs getting to no.1 often. It had a lot of marketing. And Switch people are thirsty for a new game on the system.
I mean it's good it sold so well but it came out at the best time possible which will probably not happen again in the near future.
Kinda downplaying and pointing out the obvious here.

Plus in the "near future" doesn't kh3, a jrpg, have a shot at number 1. Off the top of my head I can think of RE2 and smash second month. I think KH3 can outdo those two

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There's nothing stopping them from releasing another Mario game in another year or two if they wanted and people would buy it.

Pretty much every Wii U game that has been ported to Switch has sold better on it, and NSMBU was a well received game with many people considering it the best of the NSMB games.
it is not about NSMBU doing better on Switch than on WiiU, it's about not overcrowding the market with products.
It's why they don't release more than 1 Mario Kart or 1 NSMB per gen.
Worse yet, they could have released it in August since they had a gaping hole in their schedule.
It doesn't really make sense to add an old port when a new game would not cost that much more and create momentum for their platform.
And we know they care about momentum because they're not releasing their biggest game outside of the holiday season usually.

Then again Nintendo never seems to know how to properly handle 2d Mario so it wouldn't surprising for them to do that blunder.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I think Octopath is a bit of an anamoly. You aren't gonna get JRPGs getting to no.1 often. It had a lot of marketing. And Switch people are thirsty for a new game on the system.
I mean it's good it sold so well but it came out at the best time possible which will probably not happen again in the near future.

If we're talking about rankings sure, but the game itself sold well and I'm pretty sure Nintendo/SE care more about actual sales than ranking. And I never buy the "Switch people are thirsty" reason, people don't buy random games just because there's no other games that interest them, they just don't buy anything.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
it is not about NSMBU doing better on Switch than on WiiU, it's about not overcrowding the market with products.
Worse yet, they could have released it in August since they had a gaping hole in their schedule.
It doesn't really make sense to add an old port when a new game would not cost that much more and create momentum for their platform.
And we know they care about momentum because they're not releasing their biggest game outside of the holiday season usually.

Then again Nintendo never seems to know how to properly handle 2d Mario so it wouldn't surprising for them to do that blunder.
Seems dramatic
They could release a nsmbu port this year and super Mario maker 2 next year or 2 and the latter wouldn't be negatively affected.

At all.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is that it kills momentum for any new Mario game for the next few years when it would much more profitable to just release the new game as it's going to be big enough to carry a holiday season by itself. (...)
That's only a problem if Nintendo plans to release a new NSMB in the foreseeble future. If they release NSMBU this holiday, then it implies the next original 2D Mario will either be a new Mario Maker or an alltogether different spin on the 2D formula. They aren't going to release NSMBU this year and NSMB Switch next year.

I actually can't follow your argument regarding NSMBU being different from MK8 either. Are you implying MK8 Deluxe only sold this well because it came out very early in Switch's life and wouldn't do as well if it released this year? If that's the case, how do you explain that MK8DX's sales are consistently high? It's still charting number 2 on the Switch charts, so new releases cleary don't affect it negatively.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

A new game would cost a lot more than a port.

I don't see a port causing people to not want a new 2D Mario.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it is not complicated to see what they are going for

2018 : NSMBU Deluxe
2019 : Mario Maker
2020 : New 2D Mario

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's a shame Octopath is such a surface-level experience really. I wanted to love it, it's just really shallow.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it is not complicated to see what they are going for

2018 : NSMBU Deluxe
2019 : Mario Maker
2020 : New 2D Mario
I dont see them dropping three 2D Mario titles in a span of three years.
3D World being brought over with some Online functionality and improved coop options is likely for an off-year....next Mario Maker and the next 2D Mario might just be the same product/release.

Generally, more ambitious titles are less casual, less mass market friendly.

If Gen 8 Pokemon isn't very newbie friendly, i don't see why it would sell more than Pokémon Let's Go.
Look at BotW or Odyssey in terms of ambition....this doesnt necessary mean more complicated or hard-core oriented.
BotW is the prime example of a more ambitious take opening the game up to more and broader audiences. Pokemon could do the same after playing it safe with Lets Go Evee/Pikachu.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Seems dramatic
They could release a nsmbu port this year and super Mario maker 2 next year or 2 and the latter wouldn't be negatively affected.

At all.
Another Mario Maker seems a bit...anti climatic.
Although that's the company that thought WiiMusic and Animal Crossing would carry their end of 2008...
That's only a problem if Nintendo plans to release a new NSMB in the foreseeble future. If they release NSMBU this holiday, then it implies the next original 2D Mario will either be a new Mario Maker or an alltogether different spin on the 2D formula. They aren't going to release NSMBU this year and NSMB Switch next year.

I actually can't follow your argument regarding NSMBU being different from MK8 either. Are you implying MK8 Deluxe only sold this well because it came out very early in Switch's life and wouldn't do as well if it released this year? If that's the case, how do you explain that MK8DX's sales are consistently high? It's still charting number 2 on the Switch charts, so new releases cleary don't affect it negatively.
MK8D is nearly a launch title, it's why it wasn't impacted all that much by expectations (that and it's Mario Kart).
Since MK DS, we know that MK is on a cycle of its own.
I mean MKWii managed 28M before Nintendo thought it was a good idea to bundle it with the system after all so it stand to reason that despite MK8's strong performance on WiiU, it could do even better with little risk.
It was after a fairly low budget release compared to what the same team did afterward with Arms.
MK8 is one of these rare examples of low efforts/high rewards (while porting the game and making the battle mode is no easy feat, it's easier than making a whole new game).
NSMBU is something else, it's kind of games are far more frontloaded and expectations are entirely different after more than 1year and a half.
Also I wouldn't expect more Mario Maker from Nintendo at all, they did say that they wanted to do something new with 2D Mario after all.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I don't think Nintendo has any policy to not release games from the same franchise more than once. this is in the past. nowadays the life cycle for a product is longer and they will need those sequels to keep pushing their hardware in the market. Nintendo released 4 Zelda games on 3DS, many Mario party titles, many Mario & Luigi titles... etc.

Mario Odyssey 2, Mario Kart 9, another Zelda, ... they will all happen with time.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
A new game would cost a lot more than a port.

I don't see a port causing people to not want a new 2D Mario.
Ironically that is my point.

I don't think Nintendo has any policy to not release games from the same franchise more than once. this is in the past. nowadays the life cycle for a product is longer and they will need those sequels to keep pushing their hardware in the market. Nintendo released 4 Zelda games on 3DS, many Mario party titles, many Mario & Luigi titles... etc.

Mario Odyssey 2, Mario Kart 9, another Zelda, ... they will all happen with time.
They don't usually saturate the market if the initial title is an evergreen though.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Doing all the sidequests and I disagree. The way sidequests are designed + path actions make the world rich and engaging.
Maybe I need to give it more of a go, all I know is the main missions are literally structured the same, the dungeons are pretty much Linear A to B pathways and around Chapter 2 I just don't have the will to carry on.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
What's hilarious about all that is that i'm pretty sue Octopath, the exact same game (well minus the 3D maybe) would have probably sold absolutely nothing during the 32 or 64bit era!
Hype is a weird thing.
But that's a good thing if SE then realizes they can make money with more humble stuff and more original ips.

enemy2k

Oct 29, 2017
Great performance by all three console makers this year so far! Congrats to Nintendo Switch for the top spot!

Oct 25, 2017
What's hilarious about all that is that i'm pretty sue Octopath, the exact same game (well minus the 3D maybe) would have probably sold absolutely nothing during the 32 or 64bit era!
Well JRPGs in the SNES/Genesis era would still be saturated and the US still wasn't a strong market for it despite fan popularity, but around PS1 the cache of Square would've been enough to drive sales of a supposed Octopath.

Wouldn't say absolutely nothing, though.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see them dropping three 2D Mario titles in a span of three years.
3D World being brought over with some Online functionality and improved coop options is likely for an off-year....next Mario Maker and the next 2D Mario might just be the same product/release.
If the plan is to release NSMBU this holiday and Mario Maker next year, I think it's more likely we'll see Odyssey 2 in 2020. With a three year development cycle, a 3D World stop gap release shouldn't be necessary in 2020. Even if the next original 3D Mario isn't supposed to be an Odyssey follow-up, it shouldn't come out any later than 2021 (so, 4 years after Odyssey). So, releasing a 3D World port a year before the next original 3D Mario might not make too much sense.

If Mario Maker is planned for 2019 and if they want to limit Mario platformers to one per year, then I suppose the only question is whether the next original 2D Mario or the next original 3D Mario releases in 2020. (I wouldn't rule out something like 3D World and Mario Maker the same year, though, I think these two games are different enough not to cannibalize each other).

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Hype is a weird thing.
But that's a good thing if SE then realizes they can make money with more humble stuff and more original ips.
Well, that's not hype, but nostalgia. A 2D-3D RPG in 2018 reminds people of the "good, old times", a similar approach in 1998 would instead just be an old-looking game, since not enough time has passed to create much nostalgia.

However, I think games like Grandia that used 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds didn't do too bad, so I'm not sure saying "Octopath would have done absolutely nothing" is right.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Even without much competition from other new releases last month, OT being #1 makes me genuinely happy.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Are people re-bying GTAV for fun? Is there a competition to collect as many copies as possible? Haven't the whole population already bought a copy? Will anyone answer?

Oct 25, 2017
Are people re-bying GTAV for fun? Is there a competition to collect as many copies as possible? Haven't the whole population already bought a copy? Will anyone answer?
Gregory Tanfort Andersen the Fifth built his mansion with a steady supply of copies of GTAV as his building material. Some say he continues building to this day.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Second July for different consoles:

Wii: 555K
PS2: 436K
DS: 377K
GBA: 324K
Switch: 263K
PS3: 225K
PS4: 218K
XBO: 189K
X360: 170K
PSP: 161K
Xbox 137K
GC: 127K
3DS: 125K
WiiU: 81K
Vita: 17K

Edit. Added 3DS as I forgot it initially.

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Well, that's not hype, but nostalgia. A 2D-3D RPG in 2018 reminds people of the "good, old times", a similar approach in 1998 would instead just be an old-looking game, since not enough time has passed to create much nostalgia.

However, I think games like Grandia that used 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds didn't do too bad, so I'm not sure saying "Octopath would have done absolutely nothing" is right.

I would compare Octopath more to Saga Frontier series than Grandia. Grandia was a friggin AAA gigantic game for the time and one of the best rpg ever lol.
Octopath would have been a low budget average Square title. We had many on PS1 andi'm not sure they charted in NPD :p

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW is still doing mighty fine, wow.

Shame that Samus Returns is nowhere to be seen, though.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Hype is a weird thing.

Or the popular indie 2d platofmers would've been Mario clones in the snes era.

I mean...so?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Smash and Pokemon are coming out, and even then those aren't going to be peak mass appeal sales boosters for the Switch. And the switch is already in gangbusters territory. We might actually get to "Holy Fuck its catching up to the DS Tier" sales.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018

Xbox 137K

Could you add August and September performance as well? It's just for my curiosity. Thanks!
I didnt mean to ask too much from you, i can look it up myself :)

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I would compare Octopath more to Saga Frontier series than Grandia. Grandia was a friggin AAA gigantic game for the time and one of the best rpg ever lol.
Octopath would have been a low budget average Square title. We had many on PS1 andi'm not sure they charted in NPD :p
I don't see what would have made Octopath a low-budget RPG compared to similar games using 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds, franky.

Using some old ass NPD data that got posted on GAF aeons ago, SaGa Frontier outsold Grandia 1 in the US, btw (both games' LTD is lower than what Octopath probably sold in its first month, though).

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
The crew 2 being in the middle of the pack is surprising.....but I also think there were massive salas on it already. Plus it only had 1-2 days on the june NPD. Seems like its going to drop out out of the top 10 by the time august NPD rolls around. I wonder if ubisoft have stated what the numbers are so far for it

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

Xbox 137K

The Wii was such an unstoppable beast. It was on track to destroy the PS2 all time numbers. I mean 555k in July ? That's sick ! If only Nintendo managed it better, who knows how far it would have gone...

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

It's wild to me you're claiming Nintnedo doesn't know how to handle 2D Mario wjen the only 2D Marios since the NSMB series started to sell under 10m were on the WiiU where no game sold over 10m.

They firmly have a grasp on what they are doing.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
If this is normal mainline Pokemon then maybe you are right, but Pokemon LGP/LGE is such a wild card.
It's really hard to predict whether it will do well or not.

Yea it's hard to predict, but I don't see why a game that appeals across mobile gamers, newbies, and core Pokémon gamers won't sell more than a more comple Pokémon game that appeals to mostly just core Pokémon gamers.

I think core/hardcore Pokémon gamers are underestimating how many core Pokémon gamers will still buy the first home console mainline Pokémon's game ever...despite it also being newbie/casual friendly.

I still think Pokémon Let's Go will sell more than whatever Pokémon game they release next year

Generally, more ambitious titles are less casual, less mass market friendly.

If Gen 8 Pokemon isn't very newbie friendly, i don't see why it would sell more than Pokémon Let's Go.

*shrugs*

Gamers clamoring for "proper gen 8" Pokemon will check out Pokemon Let Go much more than they think they will

Pokémon Let's Go is really an hard guess for a couple or reasons.

- Both on DS and on 3DS the best selling Pokémon game is the first one that was released, so D/P on DS and X/Y on 3DS (but S/M still has a change of outselling X/Y)
- At the same time, remakes always sell less than the gen they are from.
- Core Pokémon audience (older demographic) is actually incraesing with time, infact bringing down the average age of the audience was one of the main focus of TPC in recent times.
- Remakes and third versions are also having better sales than before. OR/AS sold almost as much as a new gen, and US/UM is the 2nd best selling 3rd version, and it was released on a 3DS post Switch that had no backwards compatibility (unless 3DS with DS, DS with GBA, GBA with GBC...).

For every reason I can find as to why it should sell well there's also a justified "but..." looking at hystorical sales data.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame Octopath is such a surface-level experience really. I wanted to love it, it's just really shallow.

Are you talking gameplay or story? The overall gameplay structure can get a bit repetitive but oh my god, the battle system can get insanely deep as you unlock all of the secondary jobs.

You essentially need to be very creative with skill synergies to even have a shot at beating the final final boss.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
I quite disagree saying Pokemon is noob friendly right now, any totally new player to the franchise launched right on the blue on S/M is gonna have a hard time, between the 300 pokemon present in the base games (with types not so easy to guess for a bunch), the table type to learn, it's easily overwhelming.
I saw that quite well when i saw an experimented gamer, but who didn't touch Pokmon games since R/B having really hard time every dominant, even getting 6-0ed by Hau's Raichu (resulting in a ragequit of the game)

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Not sure I'm understanding you here correctly, because if you took Octopath Traveler as it is and transplanted it to 1998 with no changes to how the game looks and plays, it would have been AAA as fuck. Its production values would be insanely high for 1998.