Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If things go as we expect and the next gen consoles don't launch until Nov 2020, Nintendo is going to have a dominant two years.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
9/10 being Nintendo is a fact. That being a fact for almost every Nintendo console ever released isn't an honest argument?

Ok. It's just great that great third-party games stop selling while old ports from Nintendo do keep on selling. Is that a good sign?
You might have had point if 6 of those 9 Nintendo title (7 of 8 if Pokemon is combined) weren't also in the Top 20 combined sku, plus digital, chart. Then it could have been claimed that "only Nintendo games selling and, even then, not that hot." But when Nintendo's output stands favorably against the entirety of the rest of the market combined, with a digital advantage... there's no particular reason to assume that their 3rd party sales aren't also favorably comparable.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
So basically Playstation and Xbox are in full decline (based on apparent major declines overall and of individual platforms besides the much younger Switch). The mid gen hardware refreshes did not stave off the inevitable...

Also sea of thieves higher on the Xbox chart (#6) than Spiderman on the Ps4 chart (#7) (granted Spider Man surely has many more overall sales). Given the game has also had a lot of staying power on twitch, I think SOT should be acknowledged more as a genuine success.

Also we did not get any wild pork this month? I guess like me he forgot about NPD this month lol.

What do you mean? Can you please elaborate? PS4 is down 4% on weekly average and XB1 is down 46% YoY. No matter how you look at it this is a huge difference. This has been stated multiple times in this thread. So basically XB1 is in full decline because it cannot really sell anymore without heavy discounts and PS4 is basically flat.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
We have seen that quality third party games can sell on Switch.

If I recall Octopath Traveler was no.1 best selling game on July NPD.
Third party games sold on the Wii too, and the publishers still blew it off. Just look at Capcom's endless barrage of "test" games - they kept beating their own expectations until they finally failed with (I think) Dead Rising, allowing them to justify writing off the system.

Fortunately I don't think the third-party situation is nearly as bad as it was for the Wii circa like, 2008, though I think that's also alleviated somewhat by Nintendo being better about keeping a steady stream of games (there's a bit of a lull right now but good lord, nothing will ever compare to the six-month gap between Mario Kart Wii and Animal Crossing: City Folk, especially since neither of those interested me much at the time. I didn't buy any new Wii games between Smash in Feb 08 and Tales of Symphonia DOTNW in November).

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
I was right, Switch the highest performing without the big games RE2 and KH3. What does this tell you?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? Can you please elaborate? PS4 is down 4% on weekly average and XB1 is down 46% YoY. No matter how you look at it this is a huge difference. This has been stated multiple times in this thread. So basically XB1 is in full decline because it cannot really sell anymore without heavy discounts and PS4 is basically flat.

Depends. It's likely that buyers for both KH and RE would favor PlayStation, particularly KH, and would have caused a spike in PS4/Pro purchases. Also last year Xbox was coming off the X launch. We'll probably get a better idea of where the PS4 is at this year in Feb and March. Being flat or only slightly down would certainly be a great result, but it's hard to imagine that being the case going forward.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Depends. It's likely that buyers for both KH and RR would favor PlayStation, particularly KH, and would have caused a spike in PS4/Pro purchases. Also last year Xbox was coming off the X launch. We'll probably get a better idea of where the PS4 is at this year in Feb and March. Being flat or only slightly down would certainly be a great result, but it's hard to imagine that being the case going forward.

Sony can still play the price cut card. We'll see.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That the 6 year old devices are in their end of life cycles?

I mean to be fair the Switch had the highest January sales for any console this generation. So compare it to the other consoles this year or in their peak, Switch still sold the best even up against two highly anticipated AAA titles that missed the platform.

Edit: so basically what it tells you is that Nintendo first party titles drive hardware sales incredibly well.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Where is this stated? I just looked at the OP where that is not stated.

And down 4% is not a decline? hmmm...

EDit: I see there were hardware leaks! Investigating posts now.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah I'm really confused by this discussion. The most recent "big" 3rd party retail releases for the Switch are Diablo 3 and Civilization 6, back in November. Since then the only other notable 3rd party retail games are Monster Boy, and now Vesperia. That is the current state of 3rd party support at retail, of which we know all of those games have done well. I don't understand the posts regarding Switch 3rd party support, we know the device sells games, the support just isn't there in terms of bigger releases.
Also too add games like Diablo and Civ6 are doing well on the eShop, Both are on sale presently and last I checked they were both above any Nintendo published game for the week.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It'll probably end up selling anywhere from 12-15 million copies

you know a franchise is big when that's considered a disappointment
Well it will be interesting to see if Nintendo continues the Let's Go branding or game style at all after this. If the intent was for it to pull in mobile players, and be some kind of mega evergreen hit, obviously that doesn't seem to be happening. In which case was this experiment any more valuable that what any Pokemon game/remake could have done? Who knows.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
It was digital only, Nintendo doesn't disclose digital numbers.

then what did I buy

o5AUFcx.jpg

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Surprised at how Popular RE2 is on Xbone compared to PS4, but then again more people could've went digital this time around for PS4 perhaps. Also good god GTA 5 6 years and this game is still fighting at top ten!? Who is still buying this???

edit: Just realized Travis Strikes again didn't even break switch top ten. Hope it at least made top 20 :(

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
Hope tales sold enough on xbox to justify future tales games to come for xbox. Didn't buy it but played the original. I guess the kh3 split will be very similar to ffxv or a little better even as its disney with LOTS of marketing. So 70:30. Tales of vesperia something like 47:47:6.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be smart if Microsoft was ready to launch before Fall 2020. Try a March or June launch if ready and iron out the kinks before Sony launches and the holiday season arrives.

An early launch has worked for consoles in the past like the 360 and PS2.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I would say the fact that it's the like 13th game in a series that has had 0 previous games on the platform.

And you can't blame anyone if they have either of those beliefs about RPG's on xbox.
Except for the fact that Microsoft nearly had a lock on many Japanese 3rd party titles during the 360 era. And they sold very well and were super successful.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The third party discussion ignoring the fact that dozen of independent developers are making a killing on the Switch seems a bit silly.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically Playstation and Xbox are in full decline (based on apparent major declines overall and of individual platforms besides the much younger Switch). The mid gen hardware refreshes did not stave off the inevitable...

Also sea of thieves higher on the Xbox chart (#6) than Spiderman on the Ps4 chart (#7) (granted Spider Man surely has many more overall sales). Given the game has also had a lot of staying power on twitch, I think SOT should be acknowledged more as a genuine success.

Also we did not get any wild pork this month? I guess like me he forgot about NPD this month lol.

You know, the top 10 individuals of the PS4 can have top 1 as 10000 units and the top 10 individuals of Xbone can have top 1 as 1000 units.

I'm basically saying comparing two completely different charts is pretty moot.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Geez Switch almost outsold the competition combined again, INCREDIBLE

well, the competition is in year 6. You know, the declining phase of a console life cycle. Switch is in year I dont know, 2 or 3, you know, the increasing phase.

Think if we compared Switch in 2022 (yr 5-6) vs a young PS5/XB2 (it might still be winning, I dunno, but anyway).

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if PC digital sales were included RE2 would be on top. Anyway very nice to see japanese made games thriving.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
well, the competition is in year 6. You know, the declining phase of a console life cycle. Switch is in year I dont know, 2 or 3, you know, the increasing phase.

Think if we compared Switch in 2022 (yr 5-6) vs a young PS5/XB2 (it might still be winning, I dunno, but anyway).
A low-cost Switch variant will probably be released by the end of the PS5/XB2's first year at the latest. The Switch will be performing like a Nintendo handheld at that point, so it should still be winning or at least be still competitive with the next generation of traditional consoles.